[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

44 minutes ago, warhammercasey said:

Oh ok thanks. I'd assumed they would work well together since when I played RO it automatically installed both TACLS and kerbalism and they worked together well since it seemed like their life support values were the same but kerbalism does more and TACLS has stuff like parts designed to hold life support.

If you enjoy the science mechanic of kerbalism I believe there is a science only release for it that may be compatible :)

17 hours ago, DasSkelett said:

Can you try to refresh the modlist (click the big "Refresh" button), and check again? Maybe your registry just hasn't been updated in quite a while.

I did a complete fresh install of KSP and CKAN no two weeks ago.  I sort of doubt that Sir Mortimer pushes some 20 releases in that short time?
Nevertheless... forcing CKAN to refresh the modlist caused all those juice new releases to show up.

... I still think that's funny.

47 minutes ago, Atlessa said:

I did a complete fresh install of KSP and CKAN no two weeks ago.  I sort of doubt that Sir Mortimer pushes some 20 releases in that short time?
Nevertheless... forcing CKAN to refresh the modlist caused all those juice new releases to show up.

... I still think that's funny.

Maybe you accidentally kept or copied the registry.json from your previous install, and CKAN hasn't been forced to refresh this way.

If you want, you can go to the CKAN settings and either check "Update repositories on launch" so that CKAN always updates its registry on when you start it, or set a value for "Refresh modlist every [x] minutes", so CKAN automatically updates the registry every x minutes while it is open.
This way you don't have to remember to do it yourself every now and then.

Any idea if kerbalism can work with FMRS? https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/157214-18x-flight-manager-for-reusable-stages-fmrs-now-with-recoverycontroller-integration/

It seems like the background simulation in kerbalism might not work with whatever that mod is doing -- but I'm curious if anyone has tried it?

Background:

I've spent a couple of evenings struggling to air drop some proves from a plane. This turns out to be tricky because the falling probe and its parachute need to be simulated at the same time as the plane.

The game really wants to unload the probe as you get further away, at which point, it gets simulated ballistically and crashes.

FMRS is one of the suggested solutions to this problem, but there's no reports I can find of it either working or not working with kerbalism.

@grrrnet I'm not very familiar with FMRS, but judging by how it operates there is a high chance of it causing issues with Kerbalism.
Using it to recover stages / vessels at KSC might maybe work.
But using the feature that patch back a staged vessel into your main save has a very high chance of failing quite hard.
In any case, I'm 100 % sure that any file/sample that you would have stored on a staged vessel drive patched back to the main save would be lost.

i think something maybe going wrong with the weight conversions. 

looks like the sample masses are missing some leading zeros. 

ie. the material bay is set to a sample mass of 0.032 which is 32 kg right?  0.09375 is the mass of a kerbal. which is 93.75kg.

samples not small children hehe. 

Edited by COL.R.Neville

For some reason, I can't repressurize habitats in orbit. Pressure control is drawing absurd amounts of N2 (9u/s), but it only goes up to 0.10% and just stays there. There's plentiful power, oxygen and nitrogen on the station, parts are stock (a Learstar derivative docked to it) and SSPXR.

6 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

For some reason, I can't repressurize habitats in orbit. Pressure control is drawing absurd amounts of N2 (9u/s), but it only goes up to 0.10% and just stays there. There's plentiful power, oxygen and nitrogen on the station, parts are stock (a Learstar derivative docked to it) and SSPXR.

its broken currently but they are working on a rewrite. for hopefully the next version.  Just leave all habitats on and dont mess with them. 

I have an antenna deactivated and just got a message saying it had a problem that was able to be fixed remotely, this time. It should be possible for Kerbalism to know the on/off states of antennas even when not in the flight scene right? Should be easy enough to not allow things to break if they aren't being used. Or at least have an internal flag set that the part is broken but Kerbalism doesn't actually tell you about it until the next time the part is activated

Quick questions about the mod compatibility with planet packs. What is it about the planet packs that is supported? Do they also receive radiation belts and other environmental things or has the new science mechanic been specified to work with them and replace the previous paradigm. What will happen if someone uses an unsupported planet pack?

I ask because I am thinking of trying an ambitious mod combination including:

Kerbalism, RSS, RO, Interstellar extended, Principia, and Real Exoplanets

Edited by mcwaffles2003

I know I can probably find out by playing, but I'd like to be informed of this ahead of time: with the new ignition limit feature (which wasn't a thing the last time I played), is there a general average limit for most engines? Also, what engines, if any, still have unlimited ignitions?

12 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

What is it about the planet packs that is supported?

Two things about planet packs that are relevant to Kerbalism:

1. Configurations for radiation belts. Many planet packs already include a configuration that just applies the existing belt models to new planets, and others have dedicated configuration in Kerbalism (like beyond home).
  2. The length of one day will depend on the rotational period of the home body, the lenght of one year will depend on the orbit of the home body around it's star. So, depending on which planet pack you use, 1d 5h will mean 11 hours (stock), 29 hours (RSS) or something in between (I don't know how long one day is in the others). This affects all indications of time in Kerbalism, like for how long you're going to have oxygen, how long experiments run, durations of data transmissions etc.

TL;DR: don't worry, it's taken care of :)

10 hours ago, Scotskerb said:

I know I can probably find out by playing, but I'd like to be informed of this ahead of time: with the new ignition limit feature (which wasn't a thing the last time I played), is there a general average limit for most engines? Also, what engines, if any, still have unlimited ignitions?

We use a generic formula that tries to find out if an engine is a big first stage lifter (that will get 1-2 ignitions) or a maneuvering engine (30+ ignitions) or something in between. Hypergolic engines (monoprop) should have no ignition limit.

8 hours ago, GraczNet said:

Hello, just wanted to ask - is this mod compatible with Pathfinder? Thanks!

I don't know. Kerbalism has no configuration for Pathfinder, and I don't know what it does exactly. Adding support might be doable with a bit of configuration work, see here.

Hey, I wonder how crazy it is to try and install Kerbalism in science-only config mid-game alongside 100+ mods? I assume all my experiments will become available for research again? Anything else? Is it going to work alongside TAC-LS or any special preparations needed?

9 hours ago, garwel said:

Hey, I wonder how crazy it is to try and install Kerbalism in science-only config mid-game alongside 100+ mods? I assume all my experiments will become available for research again? Anything else? Is it going to work alongside TAC-LS or any special preparations needed?

sooo... how did it go?

also maybe copy your KSP folder and duplicate it

Please add a config for fuel cells to combust LF and OX for electricity. only monoprop and hydrogen exist as options and the H2/OX cell does not work with LF.

Spoiler

If it's supposed to then please add 1 unit of water storage to allow us to use them before we have access to configurable storage containers that are too bulky anyway for my small disposable probes

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

3 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

If it's supposed to then please add 1 unit of water storage to allow us to use them before we have access to configurable storage containers that are too bulky anyway for my small disposable probes

Yes it is supposed to.
You don't need water storage. Set the H2/O2 fuel cell to "dump" water (there is a button for that in the PAW).

12 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

sooo... how did it go?

also maybe copy your KSP folder and duplicate it

Well, it was pretty well. I had to re-do the experiments whose requirements changed (e.g. "crew report when flying low" instead of biome-specific ones). All my existing probe cores switched to the default telemetry configuration (which makes sense). I also got lots of reports of my old vessels running out of power, probably because their solar panels were all considered 0% exposed. I re-visited the ships and it looks ok now.

For me personally, the biggest problem is the KER chip. I used to put it on all the vessels to have more information at hands. But now it is either incredibly expensive (around 17,000 if I'm not mistaken) or just unavailable for new craft due to tech level. Even the "tape recorder" part is 1,200, which is way too much for some simple UI improvements. EDIT: I installed MechJeb for All (and removed its kOS part), so things look much better now!

Edited by garwel