[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

18 minutes ago, Corax said:

I wonder if the survey contracts really have to be disabled.

The issue is that Kerbalism introduce custom restrictions and situations, and the stock survey contracts aren't aware of those.
This mean that a significant proportion of the contracts that are generated can't be done.

16 minutes ago, Gotmachine said:

The issue is that Kerbalism introduce custom restrictions and situations, and the stock survey contracts aren't aware of those.
This mean that a significant proportion of the contracts that are generated can't be done.

Ok, thanks for the warning. I have re-read the configs again (has been a while since the last time) and will do a few tests, fully expecting breakage ; )

EDIT:

There's always backups

Spoiler

and Alt-F12

Edited by Corax
Spoiler

I am using greenhouse for the first time with one kerbal on board.

It seems he cannot create enough CO2 for greenhouse. I am running out of it, and ammonia too. I  will bring second kerbal on board but then i might find another resource will be limited or lacking..

Did you find a set up for greenhouse with recycling chemical processes, which gives you "unlimited" resources for greenhouse and crew too?  besides food of course

I used to have CO2 poisoning problems on ships, fortunately I have solved that issue.

But now i'm having problems with individual kerbals, I can't keep a kerbal out on EVA for 15 minutes before getting CO2 poisoning warnings, and the kerbal is dead in 25 minutes on EVA. The EVA scrubber seems to be working normally.

Right now, it isn't that much of a problem since i'm relatively early in my career mode, but I'd imagine it to be a bother when i send my kerbals out on extended EVA.

Do you know any solutions to this?, like is there a file I can edit to reduce the amount of CO2 kerbals give out? (btw i'm using RO Kerbalism w/ RSS). 

Hi, I have a question regarding radiations.

Can you do interplanetary travel with default config ? I mean I launched a Jool mission yesterday, putting my kerbals in a maximum shielded pod and they got to 50% radiation a quarter of the way there, mostly due to space weather... After disabling space weather they still quite couldn't arrive to Jool. I disabled radiation altogether to finish the mission because I felt something wasn't right. I am obvisouly missing a mechanic here, how can I increase shielding more than the max shielding resource of the pod ?

I am having an issue with the science lab processing surface samples. If I send someone out to get one, it appears as a sample in their personal data menu, but as soon as they embark it vanishes. It appears in the science archive under the flight column, but it is not in the vehicle data and the science lab states "no samples to analyze." 

I have a hunch I will get credit for it if I return the whole vessel to kerbin, but that seems to defeat the purpose of the lab. 

Has anyone ever done a probes plus patch? For the most part the science is fine because they use a Dmagic science patch but there are a few complications. If not I might look into it myself because I might have some time next week because of corona

Hello all,

I'm using Kerbalism w/ JNSQ and a host of other mods and have noticed that I have difficulty with nitrogen levels.  Specifically, I build out crewed rockets that show 165 available EVAs in the planner, but then in space each EVA causes the available number to decrease by 7 or 8 for each jaunt 'outside'.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I assumed the size of habitable space in the part being accessed might matter and added a small 1 person airlock to use, but this hasn't seemed to make a difference. 

Loving the mod so far, but I have a question/issue that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet. Apologies if I just haven't looked around enough.

The issue is with the experiment storage unit hdd. Specifically, does it have one? There is a node on the tech tree that upgrades it, but seems to only upgrade the sample storage space. Does the experiment storage unit have an hdd? 

I've seen similar questions like this asked on this thread, but no answer yet. 

Thanks for the help, and great work on the mod!

4 hours ago, Gregory Tiwald said:

Loving the mod so far, but I have a question/issue that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet. Apologies if I just haven't looked around enough.

The issue is with the experiment storage unit hdd. Specifically, does it have one? There is a node on the tech tree that upgrades it, but seems to only upgrade the sample storage space. Does the experiment storage unit have an hdd? 

I've seen similar questions like this asked on this thread, but no answer yet. 

Thanks for the help, and great work on the mod!

If I noticed correctly I believe that each part with data storage increments up when these upgrades are reached, not that there is a specific part need to add an additional greater drive (unlike the sample storage with the same appearance).  I may be wrong though!

@Sir Mortimer @Gotmachine I was confused at first how radiation levels dropped so much traveling from the atmosphere into space before I realized the change was from mrad/hr to rad/hr. Why make the change when crossing the atmosphere boundary? Why not just make the precision change when mrad/hr becomes too large? It would be nice to explore more precise variation in the radiation fields.

I don't know about anyone else, but it's the same way I sometimes get thrown when I forget to look closely at whether EC consumption rates are given in EC/s or EC/min

If anyone else wants a real close approximation (I've gotten it matched up much closer than shown in the post link above) here is the config I came up with:

@RadiationModel[earth]
{
  @inner_dist = 1.55
  @inner_radius = 0.325
  @inner_deform_xy = 0.5720
  @inner_compression = 1.1
  @inner_extension = 0.85
  @inner_border_dist = 0.0001
  @inner_border_radius = 0.95
  @inner_border_deform_xy = 0.5
  @inner_quality = 50.0
  @outer_dist = 1.65
  @outer_radius = 1.9
  @outer_deform_xy = 0.7225
  @outer_compression = 1.1
  @outer_extension = 0.8
  @outer_border_dist = 1.4412
  @outer_border_radius = 1.4875
  @outer_border_deform_xy = 0.7225
  @outer_quality = 60.0
  @pause_radius = 4.65
  @pause_compression = 1.1
  @pause_extension = 0.2
  @pause_height_scale = 1.5
  @pause_quality = 30.0
}

22 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

If anyone else wants a real close approximation

I haven't looked closer into your config yet, but it reminded me of some observations I made a while ago.

After updating my Kerbalism config to show Sievert instead of Rad (have never used Rad before, so I didn't notice initially), the background radiation on Kerbin is reported as 4µSv/h, an order of magnitude higher than on Earth. I don't know if that is an oversight, or based on the closer distance of Kerbin to its sun–although I'd then reckon to be the (smaller) sun's output being less as well.

According to Wikipedia (of course not Kerbin, not Kerbol, not Kerbals),

The worldwide average natural dose to humans is about 2.4 mSv (240 mrem) per year.

Using 2400µSv/(365*24h), I'd expect 0.27µSv (or maybe 0.4) as opposed to 4.0.

Additionally, the average temperature at KSC is about 287-something Kelvin, which for an equatorial site seems awfully low. And it doesn't fluctuate much during day and night, if at all.

2 hours ago, Corax said:

I don't know if that is an oversight, or based on the closer distance of Kerbin to its sun–although I'd then reckon to be the (smaller) sun's output being less as well.

Don't forget Kerbin's atmosphere is also less dense than Earth's. Not saying that makes it right all on its own but something else to consider.

2 hours ago, Corax said:

Additionally, the average temperature at KSC is about 287-something Kelvin, which for an equatorial site seems awfully low. And it doesn't fluctuate much during day and night, if at all.

With a 6hr day that means 3hrs sunlight rather than 12hrs so while there is indeed fluctuation (although this is an old measurement from several KSP versions ago & before Kerbalism) makes sense there wouldn't be much variation

25 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

before Kerbalism

That's the point, without Kerbalism, there is significant temperature fluctuation.

Also, without Kerbalism, you can measure the thermal effects of running rocket engines on adjacent parts, as well as insolation, which you can't with Kerbalism. Admittedly the last time I did test either was with 1.7.3 and whatever version of Kerbalism was then current, but it doesn't seem that aspect has changed since then.

PS.:

Actually I'm not entirely certain whether it's Kerbalism's science, radiation, or whatever other component(s) may be responsible for that.

PPS.:

Regarding fluctuation and 6hr days, true, but currently it fluctuates by about 0.1°, I'd expect a bit more than that even with shorter sunlight times.

Edited by Corax
bit more precise

Hey Guys! Would appreciate some help with kerbalism. I changed the games timescale in the options from 6h/days to 24h/days. Now it seems like the "life support planer" of kerbalism doesnt calculate the supplies for 24h. Is there a way or something to change the planer also to 24h? I already tried to change the food and drinking consumption rates in the profile (4x) but this escalated in weird bugs like CO2 poisoning 5 mins after launch and much more silly things. So I was forced to restored the old profile settings file. I also googled for days now to find a solution but it seems there is not rly one? Only found a 2 year old post from PiezPiedPy where he said:"I will look into it, with plans to add a parameter to the settings.cfg for adjusting scale for a future release". Seems like this feature never made it into the mod or? Thanks and cheerz!! :D

Edited by Sheetso

Hi,

currently, some incompatible mods are not listed as incompatible in CKAN but show a notification in game ([x]Science! for example). It would be nice to list them in CKAN if that is not a big hassle.

I also have a question about a possible additional feature:
Is something like orbital decay planed? I think it would be really interesting and could also add functionalities like an action that is triggered when the orbit falls under a user specified height. Then it could automatically spend remaining fuel (RCS or current active Engines specified by user) to remain in the desired orbit (until fuel is empty of course)

I totally understand if this is out of scope.
If it is a possibility to add this, I would also be interested in contributing.

Really love this mod by the way!

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how malfunctions work in Kerbalism. I have an unmanned probe that have a malfunctioned engine (in fact I have two of nearly same design and the other one have a critical failure of that engine).

The documentation says that if there is a malfunction then there is a chance that it could be remotely fixed. If there is any UI to that or should I just wait? I tried looking in the mission control but there are just regular missions. I also tried fast-forwarding time but the probe just stays with orange "malfunction" icon - it goes neither red nor grey. At what point should I give up hope and consider the orange = red?

Simply put: is there a way for me to influence the malfunctioned part on an unmanned craft?

2 hours ago, snakeru said:

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how malfunctions work in Kerbalism. I have an unmanned probe that have a malfunctioned engine (in fact I have two of nearly same design and the other one have a critical failure of that engine).

The documentation says that if there is a malfunction then there is a chance that it could be remotely fixed. If there is any UI to that or should I just wait? I tried looking in the mission control but there are just regular missions. I also tried fast-forwarding time but the probe just stays with orange "malfunction" icon - it goes neither red nor grey. At what point should I give up hope and consider the orange = red?

Simply put: is there a way for me to influence the malfunctioned part on an unmanned craft?

yes, normaly if the mailfunction can be repaired remotely, you just have to rightclick the "damaged part".... in the list you should find an entry for "repair engine"..... if there is no such option in the righclick menu (when you are controlling the probe) then the mailfunction cant be repaired remotely. With other words then you have  to send a kerbal (mechanic) to the probe and EVA directly to the engine, and then you can righclick it and repair it.

Question about radiation. There's been a request to add Kerbalism Radiation integration to the Project Orion mod I released recently. Looking at the code and configs for Kerbalism, a passive radiation source - reactor/rtg/nerva core/etc - can be defined via a Module Emitter with a radiation value in rads/s (0.01 Sievert/s?); is there a way to config an active radiation source (exploding nuclear pulse units) that only delivers a radiation dose when triggered?

10 minutes ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

is there a way to config an active radiation source (exploding nuclear pulse units) that only delivers a radiation dose when triggered?

No, there is no way for the emitter module to know the state of another module.
If you're willing to add code support from your partmodule, what you can do is find the emitter module on the part and set its "running" bool field depending on whatever conditions you see fit.

See https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/blob/master/src/Kerbalism/Modules/Emitter.cs

This said, we are in the middle of some major changes regarding vessel-local radiation handling for the next major Kerbalism version.
Maybe I could consider a way to define from configs a "module listener" for the emitter module.