[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

Hi, I want to ask what is really the intended behaviour of upgrades. I think there are two approaches to them.

Option A: As technology progresses, better hardware is available but also upgrades to earlier hardware that keep everything rouhgly balanced. Once you know how to make lighter hard drives you can put them anywhere.

Option B: Only newer models can be upgraded. Old technlolgy is tried and tested, but also monolithic. The new models are more modular, designed with upgrades in mind.

I personally like A better, but kerbalism right now uses option B. Maybe this was intended behaviour, but the layout of the upgrades along the tree seems to go better with option A.

I started a new game, science mode and kerbalism as the only mod. Going to the R&D building straight away you can see the unupgraded stats of each item

Spoiler

pod-start.png
stay-start.png
large-start.png

I manually edited the savefile to have thousands of science points, unlocking the whole tree.

Spoiler

pod-upg.png
stay-upg.png
large-upg.png

Out of these three examples, only the large probe core has been upgraded. Clearly option B, but it strikes me as odd. The only way to have the unupgraded versions of some probes is to play career mode and not pay the upgrades that come earlier in the tree.

The heart of the matter is in KerbalismConfig/System/ScienceRework/Patches-HardDrives.cfg

// Applies upgrades to relevant parts based on their initial drive size.
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[HardDrive]:HAS[#dataCapacity[>2],~experiment_id]]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]:FOR[zzzKerbalismDefault]
{
    @MODULE[HardDrive]
    //(code for applying upgrade here)
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[HardDrive]:HAS[#dataCapacity[>16],~experiment_id]]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]:FOR[zzzKerbalismDefault]
{
    @MODULE[HardDrive]

Towards the end of the file, all those *Capacity[>something] can be changed to be "lesser than" instead. *Capacity[<something] switches everything to option A. Maybe it was intended like it is, but I like better the other way so I will keep mine edited.

Spoiler

pod-edit.png
large-edit.png

On 5/25/2020 at 1:35 AM, theicon32 said:

When I installed Kerbalism, it had me install the Community Tech Tree mod as well

On 5/25/2020 at 8:04 AM, Cheesecake said:

If you have a fresh installation and no stockparts removed there shouldn`t be empty nodes with community tech tree.

There absolutely should be - all Community Tech Tree does is add extra nodes beyond the stock tech tree; it's just a framework for other mods to fill out, and as such has many empty nodes with no other mods installed. Kerbalism and Stockalike Station Parts will out some of them (mostly the habitation nodes) but all the advanced propulsion and rocketry nodes are untouched. See the Community Tech Tree page for a list of supported mods, or if you want to get rid of the empty nodes, use Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes.

I'm assuming you've used CKAN to install Kerbalism? Community Tech Tree isn't at all necessary to run Kerbalism (although Community Resource Pack is, an entirely separate mod), it runs just fine on the stock tech tree is that's the issue. 

On 5/25/2020 at 1:35 AM, theicon32 said:

If it is, does anyone know if Stockalike will work with the SIMPLEX mod as well

Yup, Stock Station Expansion works just fine with Kerbalism (I use it myself!) and the SIMPLEX page lists it as compatible, so you should be good to go! As others have said, the SIMPLEX Kerbalism config is entirely separate from the SIMPLEX Tech Tree, so if you don't want that there shouldn't be any issues using the default Kerbalism config :) 

1 hour ago, GluttonyReaper said:

There absolutely should be - all Community Tech Tree does is add extra nodes beyond the stock tech tree; it's just a framework for other mods to fill out, and as such has many empty nodes with no other mods installed. Kerbalism and Stockalike Station Parts will out some of them (mostly the habitation nodes) but all the advanced propulsion and rocketry nodes are untouched. See the Community Tech Tree page for a list of supported mods, or if you want to get rid of the empty nodes, use Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes.

I'm assuming you've used CKAN to install Kerbalism? Community Tech Tree isn't at all necessary to run Kerbalism (although Community Resource Pack is, an entirely separate mod), it runs just fine on the stock tech tree is that's the issue. 

Yup, Stock Station Expansion works just fine with Kerbalism (I use it myself!) and the SIMPLEX page lists it as compatible, so you should be good to go! As others have said, the SIMPLEX Kerbalism config is entirely separate from the SIMPLEX Tech Tree, so if you don't want that there shouldn't be any issues using the default Kerbalism config :) 

Thanks for the response! I'm real happy to know that stockalike will work. Getting a better understanding of how all this stuff works is making my life much easier. Maybe I should have waited to play the game for a while before modding but... oh well!

I used SIMPLEX for a while and it was just extremely poorly laid out for my game. Don't know if it is a combination of Simplex and Kerbalism, or some other combination, but man, it was infuriating- such as getting the Mainsail engine before getting any intermediate engines or fuel tanks that could fit it, while the intermediate engines and fuel tanks required 2 building upgrades and over 300 science to get (which is hard to come by early on with Kerbalism). Or getting the Pollux fuel booster first, or getting the radial tt-70 decoupler waaayyy back with advanced space station parts, or fuel cells being rendered useless until late game, etc. 

So I uninstalled it and went over the CTT and see that there's only one really necessary empty node that I have to unlock in order to progress. The rest tend to have mostly empty child nodes. Now that I know how it actually works I can look into filling those nodes up if it sounds useful!

Love to see kerbalism still going, I remember being at the start with @ShotgunNinja and being part of it in the beginning, I hope he is alright and wish him the best. Glad you're keeping the legacy alive. I hoped one day someone could implement his last planned ideas regarding hardware which is where you'd need hardware to change the config of for example, drills and converters, as well as to repair. He also was thinking of an idea where you could have a part that's radiation shielded that could be used to shelter crew on eva, such as an inflatable heatshield that's radiation resistant, that could be used as an umbrella of sorts to protect crew on eva from the sun. Anyways, keep up the good work, and I'll see you guys in KSP2 hopefully

I have just started a new career game on 1.9.1 and just wanted to drop in to say that I am absolutely blown away by the changes this mod has brought to my experience of a Kerbal career game. The way science works is GREAT! I have combined Kerbalism with the Probes before Crew Tech Tree and I am just crawling my way forward checking experiments before every launch and thinking through the best ways to progress. Thank you for this wonderful new experience! I hope I still like it when my Kerbals have to face radiation and solar storms... :wink:

I have one question though: I currently use Scansat (v. 18.14) and that mod has just been revamped (v. 20.0) including a new type of visual scanner. I have seen there is a Scansat-config in the support folder of KerbalismConfig. Would it be safe to use the new Scansat-version with that config or will there be an updated config? As I am not much of a modder I'm in no position to find out on my own let alone change that config in case it has to be altered. Anybody has an answer for me? Thanks a lot in advance and keep up the great work with this mod! :cool:

edit:
I skimmed through the configs in Scansat v.20.0 and I believe the "Scansat.cfg" in the KerbalismConfig/Support-folder has to be adjusted as there is now a new experiment definition in Scansat called "SCANsatVisual". Comparing the values for "baseValue" and "dataScale" I think the following addition to the "Scansat.cfg" would probably work.

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#id[SCANsatVisual]]:NEEDS[SCANSat,FeatureScience]:AFTER[zzzKerbalismDefault]
{
    @baseValue = 12
    @dataScale = 400
    @dataScale /= #$baseValue$
    KERBALISM_EXPERIMENT
    {
        Situation = InSpaceHigh
    }
}

As I mentioned before I am no modder. But maybe it'll work out. It would be nice if someone checked this out (beside me)... :P

Edited by hoover2701
thinking

Suggestion: Add a PAW item to disable non-deployable antennas. I have a station in LKO with a DTS-M1 and a bunch of service vehicles using the 16-S docked to it, and my data rate is pathetic because I can't turn off the 16-Ss. Not sure if this applies to the antennas in probe cores, but I wouldn't think so because they can't transmit science. 

Alternatively, don't use multiple antennas if one is enough to do the job (start with the highest power one, if that can't get through add the next strongest one, etc.) but that seems overly complicated.

This module manager patch seems to work for me. Just copy it in a text file called whatever.cfg within the GameData directory

@PART[SurfAntenna]
{
	MODEL
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/Utility/commsDish16/model
		position = 0.0, 0, 0
		scale = 0.01, 0.01, 0.01
		rotation = 0, 0, 0
	}
    MODULE,0
	{
		name = ModuleDeployableAntenna
		showStatus = false
		isTracking = false
		pivotName = seg2
		windResistance = 99999999
		animationName = antenna
		extendActionName = #autoLOC_6005056 // = Restart <<1>><<2>>
		retractActionName = #autoLOC_6005055 // = Shutdown <<1>><<2>>
		extendpanelsActionName = #autoLOC_6002400 // = Toggle <<1>>
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
	{
        DeployFxModules = 0
    }
}

I had to add a tiny hidden copy of the other early antenna because for some reason ModuleDeployableAntenna refuses to work if there isn't an actual animation in the mesh file for the pivotName to use. But otherwise works fine as far as I can tell.

BTW, thank you hoover270, it works

Edited by Caradhtinu

7 hours ago, evileye.x said:

@Sir Mortimer, I guess Kerbalism is not compatible (yet?) with SCANsat 20.0 - looks like changes made are quite significant (haven't tried myself though).

But those part reworks look amazing :P, just look at this post

I haven't tried yet, but it's probably going to work just like the old version. Let me know if you see anything that's broken.

Hello everyone

I love what I have seen of kerbalism so far, especially the science, but I am having some trouble with the UI and would humbly like to request some help.

I can't seem to get the buttons for the life support manager and the VAB planner to show up, no matter what I try. I have so far tried reinstalling through CKAN, installing manually, installing a non-default configuration package, and done so after removing all other (non-dependent) mods. 

I am running on KSP 1.9.1 if that helps at all. Anyone seen this before, and/or is willing to help me troubleshoot further? Alternatively, is there a hotkey to pull up the VAB planner and mission monitor?

Hi,

I have an issue with malfunctions. I launched unmanned probe. It has been in space for 160 days and no malfunctions have appeared, which us understandable, it's just 160 days. But when I switch view to that probe, suddenly reaction wheel is gone, solar panels gone, probe core gone... When I load the game and do the same again, other parts malfunction when I go to the vessel. This is weird. Normally I have some malfuntions on my vessels from time to time which I think corresponds to the malfunction rate, but this instant malfunctions after skipping to a vessel after a long time shouldn't happen. This happened already to me on another vessel, but loading the game several times helped and finally after many repetitions the vital parts survived and I could finish the mission. Now it really bothers me, because I made many other missions in the meantime... How could I stop this to happen?

KSP version 1.8.1, Kerbalism version 3.1

Thanks

53 minutes ago, Pavel88 said:

Hi,

I have an issue with malfunctions. I launched unmanned probe. It has been in space for 160 days and no malfunctions have appeared, which us understandable, it's just 160 days. But when I switch view to that probe, suddenly reaction wheel is gone, solar panels gone, probe core gone... When I load the game and do the same again, other parts malfunction when I go to the vessel. This is weird. Normally I have some malfuntions on my vessels from time to time which I think corresponds to the malfunction rate, but this instant malfunctions after skipping to a vessel after a long time shouldn't happen. This happened already to me on another vessel, but loading the game several times helped and finally after many repetitions the vital parts survived and I could finish the mission. Now it really bothers me, because I made many other missions in the meantime... How could I stop this to happen?

KSP version 1.8.1, Kerbalism version 3.1

Thanks

Sorry, my bad, I haven't noticed that Ckan didn't update the database and showed Kerbalism 3.1 is the latest, after update everything works fine. Thank you all who work on this mod, it's superb :-)

@Sir Mortimer @Gotmachine does Kerbalism not respect the requiredResource property of ModuleDataTransmitter? I'm trying to make the Communotron 16-S have an on/off switch so I can take better control of my comms (remove it from action so I can use a higher-power dish without suffering the data rate hit). So I decided to try this to starve it of power when I want:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = commEC
  title = Communication Electric Charge
  abbreviation = EC(Comm)
  density = 0
  unitCost = 0
  hsp = 0
  flowMode = NO_FLOW
  transfer = NONE
  isTweakable = false
}

@PART[SurfAntenna]:FINAL
{
  MODULE 
  {
    name = ModuleResourceConverter
    ConverterName = Antenna Power
    StartActionName = Power On
    StopActionName = Power Off
    ToggleActionName = Toggle Power
    INPUT_RESOURCE
    {
      ResourceName = ElectricCharge
      Ratio = 1
      FlowMode = ALL_VESSEL
    }
    OUTPUT_RESOURCE
    {
      ResourceName = commEC
      Ratio = 1
      DumpExcess = false
    }
  }

@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
  {
    @requiredResource = commEC
  }
}

But even when I have it off, the antenna still shows its active and I'm able to send data. Turning it on says "CommEC Full" so it's not drawing any power. I guess I can understand if you assume all antenna use EC, because normally they all do. If that's the case, bummer. I'll just have to do an SFS edit after getting into space and deploying my high-gains to replace the 16-S with a dummy part unless anyone has another idea as to how to switch them off. Tried using the deployable antenna module but couldn't find a transform it would accept

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You need to add a tank for the resource. The converter has no place to put its output, and the antenna has no cache to draw the resource from.

I gave it a try just to see but as I suspected it didn't make any difference. The problem is that the antenna isn't drawing from the commEC resource even when the tank is there (added to the antenna since the resource is no flow) - it's still draining EC despite the fact that I changed the property, which is why I'm looking to confirm that Kerbalism has completely overridden the data transmitter and is doing its own thing based on its values, ignoring the requiredResource and assuming all antennas will use EC

I had a crazy idea

@PART[SurfAntenna]:AFTER[zzzKerbalismDefault] {
    @MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {
        @antennaType = INTERNAL
    }
}

Yes, it's very hacky but at least it stops that antenna from interfering with others. The bad thing is that if you have a plane that only has the surface antenna, it can't transmit science anymore. This way it's only useful for probe control.

1 hour ago, Caradhtinu said:

it can't transmit science anymore

yea, that's a deal breaker. But I just realized the 16-S has PhysicsSignificance = 1! This means it's not drag calculated by itself so I have no problem MM patching its data transmission properties into a retractable antenna of a different shape/size, making it the same mass and also setting that to PhysicsSignificance = 1

I had to workaround my workaround :huh: Anyone able to tell me how this antenna gets the field in the red box?

Jt4r2VU.png

Here is the part config for the high-gain dish on the left from the MM configcache:

UrlConfig
{
	parentUrl = Squad/Parts/Misc/AsteroidDay/HighGainAntenna.cfg
	PART
	{
		name = HighGainAntenna
		module = Part
		author = Andrew Cassidy
		rescaleFactor = 1
		node_attach = 0,0,0,0,-1,0,0
		category = Communication
		TechRequired = electronics
		entryCost = 7500
		cost = 1200
		subcategory = 0
		title = Communotron HG-55
		manufacturer = Ionic Symphonic Protonic Electronics
		description = The Communotron HG-55 high gain antenna allows for blazingly fast directional data transmission, and was originally designed for deep space probes. Please note that Ionic Symphonic Protonic Electronics is not liable for any damages that might result from prolonged exposure to RF radiation.
		attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0
		mass = 0.075
		dragModelType = default
		maximum_drag = 0.2
		minimum_drag = 0.2
		angularDrag = 1
		crashTolerance = 7
		maxTemp = 2000
		bulkheadProfiles = srf
		tags = aerial antenna asteroid day dish radio signal transmi
		MODULE
		{
			showStatus = false
			isTracking = false
			pivotName = Pivot
			animationName = Deploy_Radial
			extendActionName = Extend <<1>>
			retractActionName = Retract <<1>>
			extendpanelsActionName = Toggle <<1>>
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleDataTransmitter
			antennaType = DIRECT
			requiredResource = ElectricCharge
			DeployFxModules = 0
			antennaPower = 15000000000
			antennaCombinable = True
			packetInterval = 1
			packetSize = 0.200
			packetResourceCost = 0.125
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleAGX
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
			passable = true
			passableWhenSurfaceAttached = true
			surfaceAttachmentsPassable = true
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModulePAWS
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = TweakScale
			type = free_square
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = WBIPartScrapper
			scrapSkill = RepairSkill
			minimumPartRecycleSkill = 2
			minimumVesselRecycleSkill = 4
			recycleResource = Equipment
			recyclePercentPerSkill = 10
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = GeometryPartModule
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = FARAeroPartModule
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = FARPartModule
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = HotSpotModule
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleKaboom
			delay = 0
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = KOSNameTag
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = CNConstellationAntennaModule
		}
		MODEL
		{
			model = ReStock/Assets/Communication/restock-antenna-radial-3
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModulePartVariants
			baseVariant = Axial
			VARIANT
			{
				name = Axial
				displayName = Axial
				themeName = Gold
				primaryColor = #fccb0a
				secondaryColor = #707070
				GAMEOBJECTS
				{
					Dish_Normal = false
					Dish_Axial = true
				}
			}
			VARIANT
			{
				name = Radial
				displayName = Radial
				themeName = Gold
				primaryColor = #fccb0a
				secondaryColor = #707070
				GAMEOBJECTS
				{
					Dish_Normal = true
					Dish_Axial = false
				}
			}
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = PlannerController
			title = transmitter
			considered = true
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = Reliability
			type = ModuleDataTransmitter
			title = Data Transmitter
			redundancy = Communication
			repair = Engineer
			mtbf = 72576000
			extra_cost = 1.0
			extra_mass = 0.1
			rated_radiation = 0.14
			radiation_decay_rate = 1.4
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = Resourceful
			active = True
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModulePartInfo
			originalPartName = HighGainAntenna
		}
	}
}

And this is for the low-gain antenna I modified to have the same properties as a Communotron 16-S:

UrlConfig
{
	parentUrl = BoxSatAlpha/ScienceandAntenna/Antenna_Tape2.cfg
	PART
	{
		name = surfAntennaDeploy
		module = Part
		author = DasPenguin and Orcmaul
		rescaleFactor = 1
		node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
		TechRequired = advElectrics
		entryCost = 650
		cost = 250
		category = Communication
		subcategory = 0
		title = Communotron 16-S Deployable
		manufacturer = Kerbal Rocket Development
		description = This antenna uses technology commonly found in your hardware store tape measure to make an antenna that unfolds and extends straight but collapses into a compact fairing.  The yellow paint on the metal tape is so that it is more visible and definitely not because we made this from a tape measure.
		attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0
		mass = 0.015
		dragModelType = default
		maximum_drag = 0.2
		minimum_drag = 0.2
		angularDrag = 1
		crashTolerance = 8
		maxTemp = 2000
		bulkheadProfiles = srf
		tags = aerial antenna radio signal transmi
		MODEL
		{
			model = BoxSatAlpha/ScienceandAntenna/Antenna_Tape2
			scale = 1, 1, 1
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleDataTransmitter
			packetSize = 0.0022
			packetResourceCost = 0.020
			requiredResource = ElectricCharge
			antennaType = DIRECT
			DeployFxModules = 0
			antennaPower = 500000
			antennaCombinable = False
			packetInterval = 1
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = TweakScale
			type = surface
		}
		MODULE
		{
			showStatus = false
			isTracking = false
			pivotName = Antenna_Tape2
			windResistance = 1
			animationName = Deploy
			extendActionName = Extend <<1>>
			retractActionName = Retract <<1>>
			extendpanelsActionName = Toggle <<1>>
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleAGX
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
			passable = true
			passableWhenSurfaceAttached = true
			surfaceAttachmentsPassable = true
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModulePAWS
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = WBIPartScrapper
			scrapSkill = RepairSkill
			minimumPartRecycleSkill = 2
			minimumVesselRecycleSkill = 4
			recycleResource = Equipment
			recyclePercentPerSkill = 10
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = GeometryPartModule
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = FARAeroPartModule
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = FARPartModule
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = HotSpotModule
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleKaboom
			delay = 0
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = KOSNameTag
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = CNConstellationAntennaModule
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = PlannerController
			title = transmitter
			considered = true
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = Reliability
			type = ModuleDataTransmitter
			title = Data Transmitter
			redundancy = Communication
			repair = Engineer
			mtbf = 72576000
			extra_cost = 1.0
			extra_mass = 0.1
			rated_radiation = 0.14
			radiation_decay_rate = 1.4
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = Resourceful
			active = True
		}
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModulePartInfo
			originalPartName = surfAntennaDeploy
		}
	}
}

I can't see any obvious difference between the two. The BoxSat mod is several years old, could it be something missing on the model? Some newer animation or transform property? That's all I can think of.

I'm just using the Communotron 16 antenna modded to not fall off - I chose this antenna because aesthetics. But I also would like to know about this for enabling support for additional antennas in the future if I need to

12 hours ago, MassoudGL said:

Hey all, just wanted to check if Interstellar extended is compatible with this mod at this point. I saw "partial support' in the compatibility section. What problems might I expect?

Thanks!

Seems to work fine for me. But I'm early(ish) in my career.

On 6/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, Drew Kerman said:

Anyone able to tell me how this antenna gets the field in the red box?

Does the "animationName" in the ModuleDeployableAntenna config refer to an animation in the model? I can't test right now but I seem to remember the deployment status not showing up when there was a typo in that field.