[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

31 minutes ago, Atlessa said:

But there's a ton more features that Diegonaut might actually enjoy that are not included in the science only config.

...  I am in the same camp actually, so I feel his question has some validity.

Then, I would like to gently notify both of you there is grey matter between your ears that is currently going unused.

Take the Science Only config and compare it to the default config. 

See what's different between the two.

Suss out what config chunks that are not present and what they do.

Then, cobble together a rational, reasoned config and present it here for discussion.

How exactly does the engine malfunction system work? Have been having a really uncanny run of bad luck where every single one of my Mun/Minmus probes has an engine failure on launch, and it's gotten to the point that it can't just be coincidence. It's the same model of engine I've been using for all my other launches, and has worked fine before - but I've had four failures in a row with a specific model of rocket.

10 hours ago, baldamundo said:

How exactly does the engine malfunction system work? Have been having a really uncanny run of bad luck where every single one of my Mun/Minmus probes has an engine failure on launch, and it's gotten to the point that it can't just be coincidence. It's the same model of engine I've been using for all my other launches, and has worked fine before - but I've had four failures in a row with a specific model of rocket.

It seems that there is a bug in 3.10 with engine reliability while entering physical warp. I've also had terrible run.

As for now, I have downgraded to 3.9 and it works well.

3 hours ago, Darkherring said:

It seems that there is a bug in 3.10 with engine reliability while entering physical warp. I've also had terrible run.

As for now, I have downgraded to 3.9 and it works well.

Ohhhh. That figures - now that I think about it, all the failures were on my launches where I had to timewarp to a specific launch window.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know what the current state of compatibility is with RealAntennas?

On 8/15/2020 at 12:22 AM, R-T-B said:

1.) Kopernicus updates our panel code to be Kerbalism aware in some form, and you can stop replacing our panels because they'll work with you.

2.)  Kerbalism keeps replacing the panel-modules as it always has, but you integrate your own multistar code (I could maybe make a PR) so it is then multistar aware.

Which of these is better, you think?  Do you have a desire to pursue this?  I'd be willing to make most of the code and do most of the legwork, either way.

EDIT:  I just had a read at the wiki, do you already suppport multiple light sources?  If so, bravo!

Yup, multi-star support was added a few versions ago. However, there is so much going on in the solar panels that I really would like to see Kerbalism's modules being used. We need to do a couple of things for background simulation, as well as supporting timeEfficCurves (waves at RO) and fixing an issue or two with the stock module. Kerbalism not using the Kerbalism solar panel modules would be a major issue, especially for reasons of background simulation. We need a couple of things that Kerbalism does internally (we keep track of all suns, wether they're occluded or not, how far they're away etc - because we need the same information for radiation) that don't make a lot of sense for a non-Kerbalism version in Kopernicus.

Also, when you're looking at the Kerbalism code, please look at the dev branch. It is very different from the current release, and more up to date.

When I try to install Kerbalism via CKAN, although it displays each as compatible, when I try to install the main mod it says "Kerbalism 3.11 depends on Kerbalism-Config, which is not compatible with the currently installed version of KSP", and when I try to install the config it says "Kerbalism-Config-Default 3.11 depends on Kerbalism, which is not compatible with the currently installed version of KSP" :/

1 hour ago, Sir Mortimer said:

Yup, multi-star support was added a few versions ago. However, there is so much going on in the solar panels that I really would like to see Kerbalism's modules being used. We need to do a couple of things for background simulation, as well as supporting timeEfficCurves (waves at RO) and fixing an issue or two with the stock module. Kerbalism not using the Kerbalism solar panel modules would be a major issue, especially for reasons of background simulation. We need a couple of things that Kerbalism does internally (we keep track of all suns, wether they're occluded or not, how far they're away etc - because we need the same information for radiation) that don't make a lot of sense for a non-Kerbalism version in Kopernicus.

Also, when you're looking at the Kerbalism code, please look at the dev branch. It is very different from the current release, and more up to date.

Well, if you want to handle things yourselves, that's perfectly acceptable.  Just override the Kopernicus solar panels in the part config as one always has.  Still works.

What is it that determines the number of ignitions an engine has in Kerbalism? Most of the engines I have available have like 20+, but some have less than 5 or even just 1. It seems like it tends to be roughly correlated with atmospheric vs upper stage vs vacuum engines, but not always consistently - and it seems to be done automatically for unpatched modded engines, so I'm curious how it's determined.

1 minute ago, baldamundo said:

What is it that determines the number of ignitions an engine has in Kerbalism? Most of the engines I have available have like 20+, but some have less than 5 or even just 1. It seems like it tends to be roughly correlated with atmospheric vs upper stage vs vacuum engines, but not always consistently - and it seems to be done automatically for unpatched modded engines, so I'm curious how it's determined.

See KerbalismConfig/Profiles/Default.cfg and find a patch for parts that have ModuleEngines*.

3 minutes ago, DarthPointer said:

See KerbalismConfig/Profiles/Default.cfg and find a patch for parts that have ModuleEngines*.

turns out it's in system/reliability.cfg

// this calculates ignitions from thrust, and vac/atm ISP ratio:
// - the lower the thrust, the higher the ignition count.
// - the higher the difference between vacuum and atmosphere ISP, the higher the ignition count.
// thrust 0-350 gives 64-1 ignitions (custom exponential-ish scale).
// vac/atm ratio gives no bonus if below 150%, and then a linear bonus of +1 ignitions for every extra 20%.
// some specific engine types will receive further bonus.
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#maxThrust,@atmosphereCurve]]:NEEDS[FeatureReliability]:FOR[KerbalismDefault]
{
	@MODULE[Reliability]
	{
		// Parse and store atmosphere ISP as a temporary value
		__tmp_isp_atm = #$../MODULE[ModuleEngines*]/atmosphereCurve/key,1$
		@__tmp_isp_atm ^= :^[\d\.]* (\d+) *.*$:$1:

// Parse and store vacuum ISP as a temporary value
		__tmp_isp_vac = #$../MODULE[ModuleEngines*]/atmosphereCurve/key,0$
		@__tmp_isp_vac ^= :^[\d\.]* (\d+) *.*$:$1:

// Give ignitions based on the ratio between vacum and atmosphere ISP
		// ----
		// Example results for typical stock engines:
		// Spider => 1
		// Ant => 13
		// Twitch => 1
		// Terrier => 13
		// Thud => 1
		// LV-T30 => 1
		// Poodle => 12
		// Mainsail => 1
		@rated_ignitions = #$__tmp_isp_vac$
		@rated_ignitions /= #$__tmp_isp_atm$ // Get the ratio between vacum and atmosphere ISP
		@rated_ignitions -= 1.5 // Zero the curve to a ratio of 1.5
		@rated_ignitions ^= :^-.*$:0: // If negative, set to zero
		@rated_ignitions *= 5 // Give a power of 5 to the curve
		@rated_ignitions += 1 // Set a minimum value of 1

// Give extra ignitions the smaller the engine is
		// ----
		// Example results for typical stock engines:
		// Spider => +64
		// Ant => +64
		// Twitch => +32
		// Terrier => +10
		// Thud => +8
		// LV-T30 => +4
		// Poodle => +2
		// Mainsail => +0
		__tmp_thrust_factor = #$../MODULE[ModuleEngines*]/maxThrust$
		@__tmp_thrust_factor ^= :^[0-9]$:_64: // if thrust between 0 and 9, give +64 ignitions
		@__tmp_thrust_factor ^= :^1[0-9]$:_32: // if thrust between 10 and 19, give +32 ignitions
		@__tmp_thrust_factor ^= :^[2-4][0-9]$:_16: // if thrust between 20 and 49, give +16 ignitions
		@__tmp_thrust_factor ^= :^[5-9][0-9]$:_10: // if thrust between 50 and 99, give +10 ignitions
		@__tmp_thrust_factor ^= :^1[0-4][0-9]$:_8: // if thrust between 100 and 149, give +8 ignitions
		@__tmp_thrust_factor ^= :^1[5-9][0-9]$:_6: // if thrust between 150 and 199, give +6 ignitions
		@__tmp_thrust_factor ^= :^2[0-4][0-9]$:_4: // if thrust between 200 and 249, give +4 ignitions
		@__tmp_thrust_factor ^= :^2[5-9][0-9]$:_2: // if thrust between 250 and 299, give +2 ignitions
		@__tmp_thrust_factor ^= :^3[0-9][0-9]$:_1: // if thrust between 300 and 349, give +1 ignitions
		@__tmp_thrust_factor ^= :^[^_].*$:_0: // if thrust is 350 or more, give +0 ignitions
		@__tmp_thrust_factor ^= :_:: // remove the "_" prefix

// Combine the two ignitions values
		// ----
		// Final sum for the previous examples:
		// Spider => 65
		// Ant => 77
		// Twitch => 33
		// Terrier => 23
		// Thud => 9
		// LV-T30 => 5
		// Poodle => 14
		// Mainsail => 1
		@rated_ignitions += #$__tmp_thrust_factor$
		@rated_ignitions ^= :\.\d+:: // Floor value to get an integer

// Remove all temporary variables
		!__tmp_* = dummy
	}
}

What's got me confused is that the 'Vorona' engine from Coatl ProbesPlus (analogue of the Soviet 4MV/Venera/Mars probes) comes out only rated for one ignition. Its ISP is 200-315, thrust 11-17. If the comments in the config are accurate, it ought to have a minimum of at least 32 ignitions, surely ("if thrust between 10 and 19, give +32 ignitions"

4 hours ago, Starlord1990 said:

Does kerbalism work well with real antennas? Seems like it does but ive found that planets don't occluded the signal, not sure if real antennas is overwriting this or I've set it up wrong. Didn't have this with remote tech. Any ideas? 

They are compatible.

Check your KSP settings to make sure you have occlusion enabled.

How would I write a patch to add hydrogen fuel cells as an option in the Kerbalism life support pod configuration options?

I tried to work it out from what was in the default.cfg, and came up with this:

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],!MODULE[KerbalSeat]]
{

MODULE
  {
    name = ProcessController
    resource = _FuelCell
    title = Fuel Cell
    capacity = #$/CrewCapacity$
    running = false
  }

@Module[Configure]
  {
	   SETUP
	   {
		 name = Fuel Cell
		 desc = An emergency fuel cell that burns <b>Hydrogen</b> and <b>Oxygen</b> gas, producing <b>Water</b>.
		 tech = engineering101
		 mass = 0.1
		 cost = 1000

MODULE
		 {
		   type = ProcessController
		   id_field = resource
		   id_value = _FuelCell
		 }

}
	}
}

But it ends up adding the fuel cell to every pod in addition to the configurable life support slots, rather than being an option for one of those slots.

@baldamundo You have to edit the profile config directly to add options like that. I learned that the hard way when trying to add ISRU chains to the Chemical plants. You may also be missing a module that helps to define the fuel cell's process but idk for sure. My goal wasn't to add options like this. My goals were different. And I've given up or declined to alter the profile config. (mainly because Sir Mortimer wasn't around at the time to help me troubleshoot).

Hey folks,

is it possible to rearm experiments that have been depleted?

I'm using KCT and re-used a Ship. Tanks etc. Had been refilled but the Goo-Container haven't been refilled with new material...

Thanks

I'm sorry if this has been addressed before - my forum search skills are pretty weak.  Where will I find documentation/guidance on incorporating life-support components from other mods (e.g., hydroponics from Near Future) in my station and long-range-vessel designs?  So far, the best I've come up with is "build it in the VAB and sim it out manually".
I asked about that in the Near Future discussion thread, and the only suggestion so far is "Ask in the Kerbalism discussion thread".

Edited by Krymson Skorpyon

2 hours ago, Krymson Skorpyon said:

I'm sorry if this has been addressed before - my forum search skills are pretty weak.  Where will I find documentation/guidance on incorporating life-support components from other mods (e.g., hydroponics from Near Future) in my station and long-range-vessel designs?  So far, the best I've come up with is "build it in the VAB and sim it out manually".
I asked about that in the Near Future discussion thread, and the only suggestion so far is "Ask in the Kerbalism discussion thread".

I guess wiki on GitHub can help.

Edited by DarthPointer

On 8/25/2020 at 5:21 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

@baldamundo You have to edit the profile config directly to add options like that. I learned that the hard way when trying to add ISRU chains to the Chemical plants. You may also be missing a module that helps to define the fuel cell's process but idk for sure. My goal wasn't to add options like this. My goals were different. And I've given up or declined to alter the profile config. (mainly because Sir Mortimer wasn't around at the time to help me troubleshoot).

Cheers, that's fixed it