[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

11 minutes ago, LadyAthena said:

Now that I looked closer, it looks like it took the sample from my ship immediately since I was parked on the runway.

I'm heading back and landing to see if it changes it.

That's still a problem though because if I "recover vessel" like this, it doesn't count. I have no idea why its only planes built doing this. I don't have this issue with normal rockets. (I've recovered multiple biome soil samples from Mun and Minmus)

Alright, so the Kerbin Water still refuses to work. I did however fail to make it all the way back (Ran out of fuel and mountain range got in the way) but recovering it triggered the success of the science.

Still figuring out why Kerbin Water is not triggering correctly despite having had that in the inventory as well.

@LadyAthenaWhat is likely happening is that the contract requested a "Kerbin landed water" result and what you have is a "Kerbin splashed water".

And yes, contract completion only happen when you recover or transmit the science, not when you collect it.

Also, to answer your previous question : yes, some contracts can generate with "undoable" experiments result requirements due to the contract system being unaware  of Kerbalism custom restrictions.
We try to limit those cases as much as possible, but this can't be fixed without huge hacks, especially for the kerbalism specific, non stock experiments.
Just be careful when accepting science contracts.

What is the recommended maximum time warp that should play nice with Kerbalism background simulation?  

The top two settings, 10,000x and 100,000x throw warnings.  

So I was thinking about using better time warp to readjust the max.  Is 1000x the max, or would 2500x or 5000x be ok? 

Kerbalism works (relatively reliably) at any timewarp speed. Unsupported other mods modules don't.
And if they are unsupported, they won't work correctly regardless of the timewarp speed.
If you get the "a producer of XXX has incoherent behavior at high warp speeds" message, that's because you have a mod that produce resources in a way that is incompatible with Kerbalism and for which we don't have dedicated support (or if support is broken following an update to that mod).

If you can't find which mod is causing it, post your KSP.log, I will try to find the culprit.
Note that NF solar support is currently broken and can be the cause of that. We have a fixed dev build here : https://github.com/Kerbalism/DevBuilds/releases/tag/DevBuild-7621

Edited by Gotmachine

4 hours ago, eberkain said:

What is an "Atmospheric Pressure Differential Scan"?  I can't find the part that conducts the experiment? 

AFAIR, pressmat barometer does. It is in you VAB filtered selection. That US2 part also does the job. And top left part too, but you need to configure science experiments in it, first.

2 hours ago, evileye.x said:

AFAIR, pressmat barometer does. It is in you VAB filtered selection. That US2 part also does the job. And top left part too, but you need to configure science experiments in it, first.

There are two different experiments in the Kerbalism science archive UI. 

XlzERvs.jpg  lEMNsqf.jpg

The barometer and the US2 part both have this experiment. 

4KdRQaa.jpg

The Atmospheric Fluid Spectro-Variometer has several experiments. 

2UpsxAQ.jpg

I only have 2 unlocked currently

En3Xq1m.jpg    gRaFlmi.jpg

@eberkain A quick github search show that this "Atmospheric Pressure Differential Scan" is coming from the "PEBKAC Launch Escape" mod.
And as to why a launch escape part mod has decided to add a brand new experiment that is basically a duplicate of the stock one, I have no answer. The "because we can" syndrome, probably.

Edited by Gotmachine

That is so weird to have an experiment on a LES.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.   I kind of don’t want delete it because if PEBKAC updates I will have to remember to remove it again.   How complicated is a patch to add it as another configurable experiment to the Variometer When PEBKAC is installed?  Maybe it would be better to just make a duplicant barometer and switch the experiment.

Edited by eberkain

I had huge problems with pressurization lately. I remember that a couple of weeks ago I disabled habitation on a space station module during ascent - I didn't know about the bug back then. Then I docked it to my space station and enabled habitation again. Soon after, I noticed l'm losing nitrogen. Pressure was very low, building up slowly, and eating up all my nitrogen pretty fast. I had to hyper edit more nitrogen into the station many times until pressure was back to nominal, then it was stable. Apparently, this is a long known bug, but I didn't know how far it goes: after docking a capsule to the station, the problem reappeared, even though I didn't touch habitation again. And it kept reappearing, never settling anymore. I had to hyper edit nitrogen every 30 minutes in order to keep my poor Kerbals alive. Fortunately, it was a space station in LKO and not a mission to Duna... But apparently, the station is doomed.

Since this is so important, it should definitely be on the first page with a big warning. Wouldn't it even be better to disable pressure control entirely as long as it is broken, except maybe for EVAs?

27 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I disabled habitation

Yeah, this is an annoying bug. The problem is that we can't easily disable pressurization as a whole because of various reasons, one of them being that the Kerbalism 3.x branch development is in minimum effort mode.
In the meantime, you should be relatively fine if you don't ever touch the enable/disable habitat button.
We should probably remove the ability to disable habitat as a temporary workaround.

@eberkain, if you want to delete the experiment, I think this patch should work for it.  Just add it to a text file with a cfg extension and put in a personal folder somewhere in the GameData folder:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]:HAS[#experimentID[pebkacQballScan]]]:NEEDS[Pebkac]:LAST
{
	!MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]:HAS[#experimentID[pebkacQballScan]] {}
}

!EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#experimentID[pebkacQballScan]]:NEEDS[Pebkac]:LAST {}

So, asteroid samples are by landed biome? How does that work exactly?  Space Low/High per body is going to be complicated enough.  I kind of feel like it should be only for the Sun with maybe several bands instead of just low/high, or maybe by asteroid class?  

qHdCnma.jpg

10 minutes ago, eberkain said:

So, asteroid samples are by landed biome?

This is stock silliness and we don't touch it because that would break too many things.
And also, like in stock, those samples are unique for every asteroid/comet (you can re-do the same situation with every different asteroid/comet)
Anyway, it isn't because some situation exists in the science archive that you have to do it (or even that it is possible to do it)
For reference, the count of every existing subject in a stock, non-dlc 1.10 game sum up to 3543582 science points, more than enough to complete any tech tree dozens of times, even accounting for the occasional undoable subject.

Edited by Gotmachine

Could those experiments be hidden in the archive, while not actually removing them as valid experiments from the game?  Would that even be worth the effort?  I know its not an issue of science points, but the science archive is so well done now it would just make things look better to remove the silliness.

1 minute ago, eberkain said:

Could those experiments be hidden in the archive, while not actually removing them as valid experiments from the game? Would that even be worth the effort?

We already do a lot of prunning, but some conditions can be very hard to evaluate analytically, and once you factor in what other mods might be doing (ex : DMOS) this becomes an impossible task.
So no, it isn't worth the effort.
In the case of asteroids, those situations are allowed because of stock contracts and various asteroid-related experiments/contracts from DMOS.

1 hour ago, Minmus Taster said:

This does not work.

All dependencies are installed but there are no buttons no new challenges or anything.

All i see are a few parts. 

Kerbalism is used by many people so clearly the Mod works, so lets skip that bit.

Please can you share a screenshot of your game data folder. as well as the information requested by eberkain as suggested above.

Also let us know if you added this to a clean install or on top of a game in progress.

3 minutes ago, Lithobrake said:

Has anyone else experienced problems with transferring fuel between tanks. I have a ship docked to a station and it won't let me transfer fuel between tanks with two docking ports between them, Has anyone else encountered this issue? 

Sounds like a stock bug.  Simplest way to test is to go back to the space center and then back to the ship

So I'm not sure if is this an actual problem but I've been having problems with Community Tech Tree, Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes and Kerbalism.

So, as you may know, some Kerbalism stuff is unlocked from some CTT nodes.  However, some of these nodes don't have any parts that are locked behind these researches.  
https://imgur.com/a/bsnzLpM
This leads to situations like this where there are Kerbalism things to unlock, but no actual parts.  Hide Empty Tech Nodes doesn't see that and removes the node anyway, locking you out from unlocking pretty important things like CO2 scrubbers.

I also posted this on Hide Empty Tech Tree Node's thread.