[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

29 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

- I open a part, and i read MTBF, followed by a time. I assume that's related to reliability over time, but how exactly? does it break after that time? can it break before that time?

Parts can break as soon as you launch, that is the Mean Time Between Failures, which gives you an idea of how long the part will last before it fails, but it could last much longer. 

- radiation rating: does the part break authomatically if subjected to more radiation than this? or does it just have a higher chance?

its not automatic, I think it makes it fail faster, but not exactly sure how. 

- food, oxygen, water; how much does a kerbal need?

You can use the planner in the VAB to show you how long your supplies will last. 

- life support has slots, what does it mean?

You can configure pods with different modules that do different things, there is a popup menu that shows exactly what the conversions are. 

- liquid engine has rated ignitions; what happens if you try to turn it on more times than that? does the failure chance just get higher, or what?

You can ignite engines more than what is listed, usually once is safe, sometimes you can get 3-4 more than what is listed.  I've also had engines fail on the first ignition before.  Engine failure is pretty rare, but it does happen when you least want it to. 

- on the same engine, it is written: redundancy: propulsion. does it just mean that if it does not work i need a redundant propulsion system, or it has a deeper meaning?

I've never noticed that phrase on an engine before. 

basically, i would need some kind of instructions. but i can't find anything related to kerbalism because there are just so many references to it. can anyone point me in the right direction?

There is a wiki on the github, but I'm not sure how up to date it is. 

Edited by eberkain

So, the Github page for Kerbalism appears to have some semi-contradictory statements on it. 

The FAQ states: 
"Q: Why don't you support RemoteTech any more?
A: We discontinued support for RemoteTech. It still has support code in Kerbalism, and it works to a degree, but you will get a warning message if you have RemoteTech installed."

Whereas the mod compatibility page states that RemoteTech 1.9.5 is supported but with the note:

"Note : not yet, support will be back in 4.0 Code integration with the science data system, reliability configs."

My question is, can I use this mod with RemoteTech right now, in version 1.10.1, without it breaking? I'm willing to disable certain parts of either mods if necessary, because I would really like to try and use both mods together. 

Edited by JupiterJaeden

15 hours ago, DarthPointer said:

@jebalicious, hello there!

Ksm planner works 100% right on your video. It calcualtes every process capabilites taking available consumed resources amount. The first two parts have no batteries so the planner sees that pressure control can't be run. I usually add some nominal EC storage when I need to get some numbers from the planner and the current state of designed craft needs to "progress" before adding actual storage.

Hahaha, thanks so much @DarthPointer...rookie mistake.  I slapped a battery on it and suddenly there is pressure!!!!!

Edited by jebalicious
additional comment

8 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

I have equipped my crew module with a fuel cell for monoprop to electricity. I have monoprop, i have oxygen, i can get more electric charge, the fuel cell is running, but it's not producing any electricity. why?

h1tGsA0.png

@king of nowherenowhere, think you need to set the Dump button from None to H2O (or water) as your current storage is full.

you need to look at the inputs and outputs of any resource convertors.  I think that one also produces water?  You need to change the dump settings if you don't have a container for whatever is getting produced. 

Edit:  Beat me to it.  :)

Edited by eberkain

5 hours ago, JupiterJaeden said:

My question is, can I use this mod with RemoteTech right now, in version 1.10.1, without it breaking? I'm willing to disable certain parts of either mods if necessary, because I would really like to try and use both mods together. 

RemoteTech is unsupported in current (3.x) releases, and my advice is to not try to use both mods together. There are many bugs, and even that put aside, the balance is all over the place

We have fixed the RemoteTech support code in the in-development next major Kerbalism version (4.0), but there is currently no playable release of that version, and we have no ETA on a release.

If you want a realism oriented comms mod, I would suggest looking at RealAntennas which is available for stock and fully compatible with Kerbalism.

8 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

RemoteTech is unsupported in current (3.x) releases, and my advice is to not try to use both mods together. There are many bugs, and even that put aside, the balance is all over the place

We have fixed the RemoteTech support code in the in-development next major Kerbalism version (4.0), but there is currently no playable release of that version, and we have no ETA on a release.

If you want a realism oriented comms mod, I would suggest looking at RealAntennas which is available for stock and fully compatible with Kerbalism.

Okay, thanks for the answer. 

I saw RealAntennas mentioned on the FAQ page and I checked it out but it honestly seems too complex for me, I'm not looking for anything super realistic, mainly I just wanted comms to involve a little bit more challenge and planning than the "everything connects to everything" spaghetti networks that stock CommNet leads to. 

For now I'll just keep using TAC-LS probably but I'll keep an eye on Kerbalism and I'll probably start using it when 4.0 releases. I can't wait for my kerbals to die in even more horrific ways! 

9 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

As far as I know RealAntennas do not patch all of the antennas and especially antennas from the mods such as Near Future. Shame, otherwise brilliant mod. I was trying to make use of it but it did not work for me due this reason.

Since I haven't found any up-to-date tutorials for Kerbalism, im going to ask here.

Im using SSTU parts for a simple transport from Earth to a space station. I cant seem to get my Heat under control, my kerbals hit around 400k and then start to lose it. How do I keep my heat under control (also what heat do Kerbals need to be kept at)?

I have tried a ton of radiators and they dont seem to have any effect on Heat. I also have Shielding maxed on my crew pod.

Id really like to maybe not kill Kerbals every time they go to space!

FIXED!!

SSTU Solar Panels aren't working for one of the Service Module parts. This caused the Climate Control not to work due to no electricity. Going to contact the owner of SSTU.

Edited by Fundati
Solved the issue

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

Any idea why removing a kerbal's helmet makes eva reports invalid? is this a known bug, or is it possible I have a mod conflict?

It's not related to helmet. Your kerbal is not landed while on ladder. You need to be on the firm ground.

On 12/13/2020 at 3:47 PM, king of nowhere said:

basically, i would need some kind of instructions. but i can't find anything related to kerbalism because there are just so many references to it. can anyone point me in the right direction?

There is a WIKI link that answers about all your questions. It's a bit dated at this point but answers will still give you guidance. 

Quick answers are: yes reliabilityt is random over time... can be changed in settings.

Radiation breaks kerbals and parts... lower it is the less impact. kerbals get radiation damage which is permanent (set in options) parts take damage and randomly break

There is a formula in wiki... but basically the amount built into a Mk3 capsule is about 5 days. You can add more food or water or air, and then look in kerbalism button to see how long it extends things (watch some youtube videos about mod for more details.)

If you ignite more than engine setting the chance it will not light or even break is MUCH higher. But you may get lucky and get another lighting

Yes duplicating engines, RCS systems, and most other things will decrease chance of breakage.

So no answer on the 'Log' tab disappearing in the latest version? I know a couple of us mentioned we noticed that... is it a bug or something we did on our end?

44 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

It's not related to helmet. Your kerbal is not landed while on ladder. You need to be on the firm ground.

Thank you for the reply, and perhaps it is just ladder weirdness, however I did notice the report was accumulating data, before I removed the helmet, which is why I assumed it had something to do with the helmet, this is an image from an earlier experience, similar situation, and the eva report is being filled in.

AWNzmrk.jpg

Edited by vardicd

2 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

I seem to be getting a strange kraken that scrambles my rockets ever since i installed kerbalism. here is one result

Mg1dFOA.png

the rocket became like this after i went back to the space center and i selected the rocket again.

is anyone else having the same issues? is there a known solution?

I'm not seeing this currently with Kerbalism. I have, however in the past seen this issue when using Kerbal joint reinforcement. which is why i stopped using that mod. Don't know if you're using that one or not, so can't say if that's the problem, mind you.

58 minutes ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Yes.. but Im not sure it's from kerbalism... also I think this only happens when I use autostruts.

my only mods are kerbalism and kerbal alarm clock. and it wasn't doing it before installing kerbalism, so it definitely comes from there.

but indeed, i also noticed it only when autostrutting. so, it's a bug related to autostrutting on kerbalism and then reloading a craft.

10 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

my only mods are kerbalism and kerbal alarm clock. and it wasn't doing it before installing kerbalism, so it definitely comes from there.

but indeed, i also noticed it only when autostrutting. so, it's a bug related to autostrutting on kerbalism and then reloading a craft.

Interesting... I have been having krakens on asteroids almost 100% of the time... like capturing them is fine, and docing, but if I leave that ship and come back to it later, its almost guaranteed that there will be a kraken at the asteroid when it comes out of pause. Wonder if that is also kerbalism?

even the supposed github wiki doesn't say much. i am working on some way to keep track of all the mess, and perhaps i will produce some spreadsheet that i will post here for the good of the mod.

meanwhile, i have more questions:

pDvjnWa.png

1) so, the game is telling me that i have no plants. when i clearly have 8 greenhouses. what the hell? how do i get plants if not with greenhouses?

2) with a crapload of living space and all the comforts, i have a stress duration of 23 years. which is good, but i was planning a grand tour mission to see how much i can stretch all those durations, and i was hoping i could have a potentially permanent duration. is it possible?

3) i experimented orbiting laythe, that is right inside jool's main radiation belt, and even though i had the best shielding available, my crew got radiation sickness in 3 days. is it even possible to make manned explorations of laythe anymore? what can i do to protect myself from those levels of radiation?

4) i found out that a relatively small ship with a 3-man command pod and hitchhiker storage container could last for a couple years with a crew of 3 with just 80 kg of food, 30 kg of oxygen container, and 40 kg of water purifier plant. isn't that a bit cheap, some 200 kg of material to sustain a crew of 3 for a couple years? it feels like there's no longer an incentive to making greenhouses and complex reusable systems.

Every once in a while when i start the game up, kerbalism gives me a warning that I don't have the community resource pack installed, and it's needed for kerbalism, but I do have it, so i don't understand> Anyone know why I'm seeing this?