[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

3 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Every once in a while when i start the game up, kerbalism gives me a warning that I don't have the community resource pack installed, and it's needed for kerbalism, but I do have it, so i don't understand> Anyone know why I'm seeing this?

never seen that before, are you sure its installed correctly? 

1 minute ago, eberkain said:

never seen that before, are you sure its installed correctly? 

everything seems to be working, the kerbalism science works, and I can see the radiation belts around the planets. The only thing I can think of, is that I did delete the rules for food, water, O2 and CO2 from the Kerbalism config, because I didn't want to deal with life support, but if that was it, you'd think I'd get the warning every time i load, not only sometimes, and I don't know why it would say I'm missing CRP. I'd think it'd give me a warning about kerbalism config being out of whack.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

1) so, the game is telling me that i have no plants. when i clearly have 8 greenhouses. what the hell? how do i get plants if not with greenhouses?

I'm getting the same thing on a fully built out station with greenhouses. Not sure if only the greenhouse that comes IN the kerbalism mod counts and other mod greenhouses (which still produce food and consume CO2 don't count)

On 12/16/2020 at 1:04 AM, king of nowhere said:

I seem to be getting a strange kraken that scrambles my rockets ever since i installed kerbalism. here is one result

This is a stock bug. This said, it seems indeed to be occurring more often when Kerbalism is installed because Kerbalism add some overhead on scene loads, and that bug is somehow dependent on that.

3 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

the game is telling me that i have no plants.

Not sure what is happening, you're indeed supposed to get the bonus.

i was hoping i could have a potentially permanent duration. is it possible?

No

what can i do to protect myself from those levels of radiation?

The active shield is the only thing that can protect you from high radiation levels. But in general, yes, the Jool neighborhood isn't Kerbal friendly.

storage container could last for a couple years with a crew of 3 with just

First, to put things in perspective, remember that a Kerbin year is ~100 earth days, and that Kerbals have 1/4 the physiological needs of humans. But yes, as a general rule, unless you're establishing a permanent base somewhere with some ISRU to sustain it partially, greenhouses aren't worth it.

i tried compiling all the resources conversions into a spreadsheet. unfortunately [...] i realized it was hopeless. i need to find some other way

If your goal is to make self-sustainable bases, yep, it is hopeless. In fact, even doing "basic" manned missions outside of the Kerbin SOI is quite hard.
Kerbalism difficulty balance make what is achievable in KSP roughly in the realm of reality.
I've yet to see proof of a successful manned mission to Jool with Kerbalism. And I believe that there are only a handful of people that can claim a successful mission to Duna.

55 minutes ago, Gotmachine said:

If your goal is to make self-sustainable bases, yep, it is hopeless. In fact, even doing "basic" manned missions outside of the Kerbin SOI is quite hard.
Kerbalism difficulty balance make what is achievable in KSP roughly in the realm of reality.
I've yet to see proof of a successful manned mission to Jool with Kerbalism. And I believe that there are only a handful of people that can claim a successful mission to Duna.

no, my goal was to make a clear spreadsheet that could be used as a sort of wiki page. you know, because it's quite confusing.

as for making a self-sustainable base, that's not that hard. you need to mine some ore every once in a while, because you are slowly losing nitrogen in space over time, but the amounts are small and you can get nitrogen from monopropellant, which you can get through rregular isru (assuming that part hasn't been changed too, i haven't tried but the options in the convert-o-tron are still there).

the main problem with long missions is radiation over time. if you are going far from kerbol, electricity is also a huge deal, since life support takes too much for solar panels and rtg increase radiation. the whole business could be prevented by setting shielding to block 100% of incoming radiation - default setting is that it blocks 90%, which is not enough for some environments.

4 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

my goal was to make a clear spreadsheet that could be used as a sort of wiki page

We already have that : https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/PlayGuide-~-Resources

assuming that part hasn't been changed too, i haven't tried but the options in the convert-o-tron are still ther

The stock ISRU options don't exists in Kerbalism.

the main problem with long missions is radiation over time.

And stress. And LS resources supplies. And reliability.

the whole business could be prevented by setting shielding to block 100% of incoming radiation

Of course I'm talking about default Kerbalism difficulty, and without mods that make make things too easy (hypothetical overpowerful engines or deepfreeze for example).
Even at the easiest settings, manned missions that take more than a few years are almost impossible in practice.

I've been planning a Duna mission in Kerbalism for about 9 months (real time) now or about 18 years (game time) - building and testing everything unmanned prior to manned flight... also conditioning Kerbals to long duration so I know which ones to take.

6 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

16 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

now with version 1.11 kerbalism does not work right anymore

The standard procedure with a modded game is to not update KSP until all you mods are updated. Mods will break when KSP updates.
If you're using Steam, the usual way of doing that is to have your modded install separate from your steam install.
Revert your KSP to 1.10.1 (on steam, go to your game properties > beta tab > select KSP 1.10.1 in the dropdown)
Then go to where you KSP isntall is on your hard disk (on steam, game properties > local files > browse) and copy paste the whole "Kerbal Space Program" folder somewhere else.

Just now, king of nowhere said:

how long does it take generally for mods to update? i'm picking up another challenge for the stock game, so i am considering staying without kerbalism for a while - but i'm really considering it depending on how long that may take

HA! from 1 day to 3 years (when linuxgamer takes them over)

36 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

how long does it take generally for mods to update? i'm picking up another challenge for the stock game, so i am considering staying without kerbalism for a while - but i'm really considering it depending on how long that may take

barring unity updates or breaking KSP api changes, kerbalism updates can be as soon as whenever module manager updates.

3 hours ago, N70 said:

as soon as whenever module manager updates

MM 4.1.4 works for me in 1.11. Kerbalism, too, for the most part.  Some science experiments in Hitchhiker cans went missing, I'll have to check up on that, possibly some patches do not find their match anymore.

While we wait for @Sir Mortimer to update the OP, here is the KSP 1.11 compatibility release :
https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/releases/tag/3.12

Should be available on CKAN already.

• Updated for KSP 1.11
  • Monopropellant support for KSP 1.11 EVA jetpack and "eva fuel cylinders" (@gotmachine)
  • Removed ability to disable habitats, to mitigate the (unfixed) bugs with pressurization (@gotmachine)
  • Added radiation fields configs for GPP and GEP (@SirMortimer)
  • Enable water recycler process on US2 Water Purifier wedge (@ccaviness)
  • #690 : Handle B9PS switching of solar panel rates (NFSolar...) (@gotmachine)
  • #654 : Comet samples support (@gotmachine)
  • * Improvements to engine reliability patches (@hemeac)
  • * Support for KiwiTechTree in EngineIgnitor support patch (@Clamp-o-Tron)
  • * Fix to radial LS containers mass (@Murtnowski)

my ship used to have "firm ground" until the last version. now it doesn't anymore. a bug?

EDIT: i found it out. the gravity ring was extended, but still somehow it had habitat disabled. i lost most of the configuration with the new version, i had to restore it /EDIT

also, as i'm trying to make a huge mother ship for a grand tour, and i need a lot of components, i already reached 300 parts. i'll be close to 1000, i fear, when i'll be done; lag is horrible. is there anything i can do to improve performance?

Edited by king of nowhere

58 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

also, as i'm trying to make a huge mother ship for a grand tour, and i need a lot of components, i already reached 300 parts. i'll be close to 1000, i fear, when i'll be done; lag is horrible. is there anything i can do to improve performance?

Not really, the more parts the more CPU demand.  Build with the fewest parts possible.  There was a mod for welding parts together that used to work great. and SSTU has a lot of parts that combine different functions. 

43 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Not really, the more parts the more CPU demand.  Build with the fewest parts possible. 

I'm doing it already. i'm only using the largest tanks and modules to reduce part number.

unfortunately, running greenhouses for a crew of 12 far from the sun requires lots of energy. i have 32 greenhouses and 64 gigantor arrays alone.

EDIT: another question: after running the science jr for a while, i get a message that it is depleted, and it won't run anymore. hovering nearby with a scientist doesn't seem to do anything. same for the goo. is there any way to refresh those experiments?

also, is this the right thread to make those question, or is there some more specific place for mods q&a elsewhere?

I'm doing it already. i'm only using the largest tanks and modules to reduce part number.

unfortunately, running greenhouses for a crew of 12 far from the sun requires lots of energy. i have 32 greenhouses and 64 gigantor arrays alone.

EDIT: another question: after running the science jr for a while, i get a message that it is depleted, and it won't run anymore. hovering nearby with a scientist doesn't seem to do anything. same for the goo. is there any way to refresh those experiments?

also, is this the right thread to make those question, or is there some more specific place for mods q&a elsewhere?

If you have that many greenhouses you really need to decide if it's worth it.

Hell of a lot easier to just send supplies.

Just now, Cruesoe said:

If you have that many greenhouses you really need to decide if it's worth it.

Hell of a lot easier to just send supplies.

yes.

but it looks so DAMN COOL!

gAaNCSB.png

perhaps even more important, i did not install a mod for life support intricacies only to handwave it all with a few tons of supplies.

Anyway, I will indeed have to shut down most of the greenhouses when i will be around Jool.

i tested a mining vehicle, and to my dismay i cannot find water anywhere. i tried 7 bimes on moho and ike so far.

is it normal? am i just unlucky?

as i need water to get fuel, how can i refuel if water is normally absent? landing on laythe is too expensive!

also, i don't see water from orbit. how can i know in advance where to land?

and i see a lot of different minerals once i am on the surface. alumina, rare metals, uranite... what are they for?

finally, the stock ISRU options are still available. but they seem the coward's way out