[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

@seaces unfortunately only in flight the planner shows how many EVAs are available - not in VAB.

And .. the most underrated and not documented fact is that you have to manually disable pressurization of the part you want to exit to EVA before you do so.
(this simulates all remaining Kerbals switch to suit mode with helmet on and attach the Oxygen hose at a wall mount)

After reentering you can enable it again - or after going EVA, but disable it again before going back in and reenable it afterwards.

Edited by Gordon Dry

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@seaces I'm not sure if this is to provide more realism or if it's an incomplete feature, but irl you would not just open the hatch before going EVA.

yes, well, you have to do a lot of complicated operations before going eva, but the game would not gain any fun by it.

i do believe it's a glitch. if you leave pressure control open while an astronaut is outiside, you lose a lot more nitrogen.

i also noticed that if you stop pressure control entirely on your ship all the time, and only restart it once in a while when pressure drops a bit, you can keep full pressurization while consuming a lot less nitrogen. i assume the way the mod deals with pressurization is bugged.

@king of nowhere could be.
The handling of the planner with fuel cells also is still bugged, especially for the switchable fuel cells.
I had the 2nd occurance of the same bug now:
at low timewarp the automation toggled the fuel cell on/off when needed, but suddenly it does not provide EC anymore. There is Oxygen, there is MonoProp ...
I seems™ that the automation needs some EC to get going, but when the battery is empty nothing works anymore. Even with crew onboard.
Rebooting KSP to see if that helps.

Actually I consider removing Kerbalism, even if this hurts my heart. But I really want to proceed and stop being the dummy that only stumbles at least over one bug a day. For months, until the next hiatus.

6 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@king of nowhere could be.
The handling of the planner with fuel cells also is still bugged, especially for the switchable fuel cells.
I had the 2nd occurance of the same bug now:
at low timewarp the automation toggled the fuel cell on/off when needed, but suddenly it does not provide EC anymore. There is Oxygen, there is MonoProp ...
I seems™ that the automation needs some EC to get going, but when the battery is empty nothing works anymore. Even with crew onboard.
Rebooting KSP to see if that helps.

Actually I consider removing Kerbalism, even if this hurts my heart. But I really want to proceed and stop being the dummy that only stumbles at least over one bug a day. For months, until the next hiatus.

well, i did manage to make a kilopart ship work, with over 200 processes, without anything crashing. so it's possible to do it.  but you have to be creative sometimes.

fuel cells, did you check if they are set to dump the exhaust (in your case, i think nitrogen and water)? Because if they are not told to, they will stop working when the nitrogen/water storage is full. they won't dump those precious resources. you have to manually set them up to, there is a "dump" option on them that you can toggle.

at high timewarp, though, there are other bugs with chemical processes. again, i did manage to run full isru cycle at x100000, but it's not always easy, and it can be very idiosyncratic.

extremely rewarding to make it work, though, so i encourage you to go on

@king of nowhere

My fuel cells are all set up to dump excess - that's not the issue.
https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/issues/793

btw reloading KSP / scene change solves the issue - for now until the next hit.

Edit:

It seems that the dump valve automatism is broken, as soon as the battery is empty, I have to stop timewarp and manually toggle through the dump settings until I get back to the setting it already had.

https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/issues/794

Edited by Gordon Dry

53 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

It seems that the dump valve automatism is broken, as soon as the battery is empty, I have to stop timewarp and manually toggle through the dump settings until I get back to the setting it already had.

I have seen a similar bug when the dump valve authomatism gets broken on reload. I reload the game, and it does not dump resources anymore. but i only have to fix it in one copy of my chemical plants and everything works afterwards.

you could be suffering a similar problem

EDIT: as for planner in general, i found it to suffer from limitations when dealing with complex chains, especially when there are processes working intermittently (like recycling water, where you get some new waste water at  regular times and it gets processed quickly).

i generally calculate enough safety margin that I can discount imprecisions there. if I really need that kind of precision, i either run the calculations manually, or i try empyrically

Edited by king of nowhere

had a curious behavior with parts in storage containers.

i put some spare parts in storage containers before starting the mission, hoping they'd be protected against aging. i took several out, and even after 300 years they still worked perfectly. reaction wheels, antennas, even lights, all were as good as new when i first installed them.

not so the parachutes. when i took the parachutes out and installed them on the crew escape pods, all 6 parachutes broke instantly. i suppose this is a (minor) bug, since every other part behaves just fine?

EDIT: update, it's not related to aging. just moving the parachutes breaks them

Edited by king of nowhere

There is one thing that really makes me wonder.
At one point the resource container parts from Tac-LS were adopted by Kerbalism, in those folders

GameData\KerbalismConfig\Parts\TacLifeSupport\TacLifeSupportContainers\
GameData\KerbalismConfig\Parts\TacLifeSupport\TacLifeSupportHexCans\

but there are not balanced to Kerbalism measures...
So somebody decided to put them in,  but did not alter the resource amounts to make them fit?

Is there a way of setting defaults for the device automation? Whether by in-game menu or playing around with module  I.e. I'd like all of my craft to have fuel cells deactivate on high power, and reactivate on low power - and vice versa for experiments - but I can't see any way to do it except by manually setting it on the launchpad, and obviously this gets extremely repetetive and time consuming (defeats the point a bit for an automation feature!).

If not, is there interoperability with kOS that might be able to achieve similar results? And if there is interoperability with kOS,  is there documentation somewhere for it?

How is the Sentinel space telescope intended to be used? The "Infrared Telescope" experiment unique to the part lists the rate that it produces data as 1.26 MB/s. However, there are no antennas in the game capable of transmitting at close to this rate. Am I supposed to be shuttling rockets stacked with hard drives to/from the satellite with the experiment on it, and recovering them manually? Is there some functionality I'm missing with e.g. scientists analyzing the data in situ? Have I screwed up my difficulty settings?

IRL, how many times a Raptor engine can be ignited? 
Cause in-game, the Cryo Engies “Deinonychus” can only be fired once in standard reliability and twice in high. Higher numbers for the “Eagle” (Vacuum Raptor) but still low.

Starship is supposed to be a rapid reusable rocket, how am I supposed to if they have such low ignition counts and when also do they have many engine failures every time?

Any idea on how to tweak this would help. Thanks!

2 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

IRL, how many times a Raptor engine can be ignited? 
Cause in-game, the Cryo Engies “Deinonychus” can only be fired once in standard reliability and twice in high. Higher numbers for the “Eagle” (Vacuum Raptor) but still low.

Starship is supposed to be a rapid reusable rocket, how am I supposed to if they have such low ignition counts and when also do they have many engine failures every time?

Any idea on how to tweak this would help. Thanks!

don't know about those engines, maybe the mod they come from was poorly ported in.

the wolfhound engine has around 30 ignitions. it also has 380 Isp, making it the closest equivalent in game to the raptor vacuum. i suggest you use that one.

lacking that option, you can always manually edit the file.

11 hours ago, baldamundo said:

Is there a way of setting defaults for the device automation? Whether by in-game menu or playing around with module  I.e. I'd like all of my craft to have fuel cells deactivate on high power, and reactivate on low power - and vice versa for experiments - but I can't see any way to do it except by manually setting it on the launchpad, and obviously this gets extremely repetetive and time consuming (defeats the point a bit for an automation feature!).

not that i know of

1 hour ago, adriangm44 said:

Yeah thanks! Thats what I was asking! But how? What file?

Just to clarify, Kerbalism calculates the number of ignitions simply based on how powerful the engine is, and whether it's a vacuum or sea-level engine:
https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/blob/6fc4503048dd766d6d29aece9f167214bdfae24f/GameData/KerbalismConfig/System/Reliability.cfg

But you should be able to override this in a separate file using FINAL. 
Create a file in GameData, eg raptor.cfg, containing something like:

@PART[myPart]:NEEDS[FeatureReliability]:FOR[KerbalismDefault]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[Reliability]:HAS[#type[ModuleEngines*]]
	{
		@rated_ignitions = 5
	}
}

DataRateDampingExponent essentially controls how fast the data rate drops with distance. Realistically, for real solar system scales, you would use 2 here.

I remember there was something about MM not applying patches inside the GameData\KerbalismConfig\Settings.cfg so it has to be calculated manually and entered into the Settings.cfg.

Just after the line

DataRateDampingExponentRT = 6       // same as above, but for RemoteTech

like this unfortunately does not work:

scalefactor = 1
  @scalefactor:NEEDS[SigDim] = #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
  @scalefactor:NEEDS[!SigDim,RealSolarSystem] = 10.10625
  @scalefactor:NEEDS[!SigDim,JNSQ] = 2.7
  @scalefactor:NEEDS[!SigDim,GPP_Rescale_10x] = 10
  @scalefactor:NEEDS[!SigDim,JNSQ_Rescale_10x] = 10
  scalesqrt = #$scalefactor$
  @scalesqrt != 0.5
  @DataRateDampingExponent /= scalesqrt
  @DataRateDampingExponentRT /= scalesqrt
  -scalesqrt = delete
  -scalefactor = delete
  • RSS would be 1.887
  • JNSQ/GPP 10x  would be 1.897
  • JNSQ default would be 3.652

But this is a rule of thumb, just take the sqrt of the scale, divide 6 by that factor.

I'm having an issue with the Kerbalism compatibility patch from another mod (Kiwi's tech tree) where some sample return experiments are claiming to be depleted even upon vessel launch. Have posted with more detail in the thread for that mod

but can anyone explain to me exactly how sample return experiments are supposed to be set up?

6 hours ago, EvilSpace said:

How to play with this? I'm playing KSRSS x2.5, and I can't get close to Jupiter (Galileo) at all, the radiation immediately destroys my antennas and other details. And this is even with maximum shielding.

first of all, shielding only works for the crew. for uncrewed vehicles, there shouldn't even be shielding available.

as for radiations, they do age machinery fast, but it shouldn't be immediate. i've been doing short passes in the radiation belts for a while without problem. worst exposure was an uncrewed ship for one year at 5 rad/h, and it had several part failures in that year, but i had multiple redundancies for everything and i was fine.

so, if by "immediately" you mean, as soon as your stuff get into the radiation belt everything breaks, then it's a bug. but if instead you mean your parts don't last long, that's normal. i suggest you use redundancies, multiple antennas, multiple reaction wheels. it helps survival.

6 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

first of all, shielding only works for the crew. for uncrewed vehicles, there shouldn't even be shielding available.

as for radiations, they do age machinery fast, but it shouldn't be immediate. i've been doing short passes in the radiation belts for a while without problem. worst exposure was an uncrewed ship for one year at 5 rad/h, and it had several part failures in that year, but i had multiple redundancies for everything and i was fine.

so, if by "immediately" you mean, as soon as your stuff get into the radiation belt everything breaks, then it's a bug. but if instead you mean your parts don't last long, that's normal. i suggest you use redundancies, multiple antennas, multiple reaction wheels. it helps survival.

No, my parts broke immediately after entering Jupiter's radiation belt. By "shielding" I meant the high quality of the parts, which makes them more resistant to radiation. So far, I've only decided to play with TAC Life Support and Kerbal Heath. There's even a plus to this, as the game has become less littered with a huge number of features.

Edited by EvilSpace

I'm a little confused about the hard drive and sample capacity patching. This removes the stock ModuleScienceContainer, but only adds hard drives to parts with ModuleCommand.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleScienceContainer]]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleScienceContainer] {}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = HardDrive
		title = Command Module Storage
		dataCapacity = 0.5      // data size in Mb
		sampleCapacity = 1      // sample size in slots
	}
}

What happens to experiments done on "Utility" parts (like the Hitchhiker can or crew cabins)?

1 hour ago, Kwebib said:

I'm a little confused about the hard drive and sample capacity patching. This removes the stock ModuleScienceContainer, but only adds hard drives to parts with ModuleCommand.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleScienceContainer]]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleScienceContainer] {}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = HardDrive
		title = Command Module Storage
		dataCapacity = 0.5      // data size in Mb
		sampleCapacity = 1      // sample size in slots
	}
}

What happens to experiments done on "Utility" parts (like the Hitchhiker can or crew cabins)?

the data or samples produced are stored somewhere on the ship. if there is no storage space, the experiment is halted.

Can anyone confirm if it is intended for SSPX inflatables  to not allow shielding  to be added? I'm also noticing that I cannot configure them with a scrubber or another process via the PAW, but I'm thinking that may be some conflict with another mod I might have.