[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

On 1/14/2022 at 8:11 PM, tinyspy44 said:

How do I stuff more life support resources aboard a craft? I'm wanting to recreate Soyuz 9 with an 18 day mission but the Tantares Soyuz alone doesn't hold enough for that let alone with only 2 crew members.

I use a life support patch for procedural parts and add a very very narrow procedural life support tank between the pod and the heatshield:

Spoiler

PARTUPGRADE:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
	name = ProceduralPartsTACLSTank
	partIcon = proceduralTankTAC
	techRequired = heavyRocketry
	title = Procedural Life Support Tank (Expanded)
	description = Procedural Life Support Tank dimensions are increased
}

+PART[proceduralTankLiquid]:FIRST:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
	@name = proceduralTankTAC
	@author = AncientGammoner, NathanKell, Swamp Ig, OtherBarry

@TechRequired = survivability
	@category = Utility
	@title = Procedural Life Support Tank

%MODULE[LifeSupportModule] {}
	@MODULE[ProceduralPart]
	{
		@textureSet = PlainWhite
		%costPerkL=980
		@diameterMin = 0.1
		@diameterMax = 1.5
		@lengthMin = 0.1
		@lengthMax = 0.5
		@volumeMin = 0.1
		@volumeMax = 1.0

!UPGRADES {}
		UPGRADES
		{
			UPGRADE
			{
				name__ = ProceduralPartsTACLSTank
				diameterMax = 3.0
				volumeMax = 3.0
				lengthMax = 1.0
			}
			UPGRADE
			{
				name__ = ProceduralPartsTankUnlimited
				diameterMin = 0.01
				diameterMax = Infinity
				lengthMin = 0.01
				lengthMax = Infinity
				volumeMin = 0
				volumeMax = Infinity
			}
		}
	}

@MODULE[TankContentSwitcher]
	{
		!TANK_TYPE_OPTION,* {}
		%TANK_TYPE_OPTION[LifeSupport]
		{
			dryDensity = 0.65
			%RESOURCE[Food] { unitsPerKL = 369 }
			%RESOURCE[Water] { unitsPerKL = 244 }
			%RESOURCE[Oxygen] { unitsPerKL = 37483 }
		}

%TANK_TYPE_OPTION[LifeSupportWaste]
		{
			dryDensity = 0.65
			%RESOURCE[Waste] { unitsPerKL = 63 }
			%RESOURCE[WasteWater] { unitsPerKL = 588 }
			%RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide] { unitsPerKL = 61437 }
			@RESOURCE,* { forceEmpty = true }
		}

%TANK_TYPE_OPTION[Food]
		{
			dryDensity = 0.65
			%RESOURCE[Food] { unitsPerKL = 784 }
		}

%TANK_TYPE_OPTION[Waste]
		{
			dryDensity = 0.65
			%RESOURCE[Waste]
			{
				unitsPerKL = 189
				forceEmpty = true
			}
		}

%TANK_TYPE_OPTION[Water]
		{
			dryDensity = 0.65
			%RESOURCE[Water] { unitsPerKL = 784 }
		}

%TANK_TYPE_OPTION[WasteWater]
		{
			dryDensity = 0.65
			%RESOURCE[WasteWater]
			{
				unitsPerKL = 1764
				forceEmpty = true
			}
		}

%TANK_TYPE_OPTION[Oxygen]
		{
			dryDensity = 0.65
			%RESOURCE[Oxygen] { unitsPerKL = 174411 }
		}

%TANK_TYPE_OPTION[CarbonDioxide]
		{
			dryDensity = 0.65
			%RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
			{
				unitsPerKL = 184311
				forceEmpty = true
			}
		}

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
		{
			name=HydrogenOxygen
			dryDensity = 0.65
			RESOURCE
			{
				name=Hydrogen
				unitsPerKL = 131101 
			}
			RESOURCE
			{ 
				name=Oxygen
				unitsPerKL = 65550 
			}
		}
	}
}

I have a question about the Van Allen Belts, specifically the inner one on Kerbin. Do you guys also think that it is too low down? If you want to put a space station into the orbit of Kerbin you run into serious problems with the inner Van Allen belt since on the equator it has an altitude of about 80  km (sun-facing side) to 150 km (shadow-facing side). This means that the only feasable way to put a space station into Kerbin orbit is either an extremely low equatorial orbit ergo a parking orbit which is not ideal for space stations or into a very very high orbit between the inner and outer belt which would be (I think) somwhere around 1500 km. If you want to place the space station into an inclined orbit it gets even more problematic since the inner belt is actually (and realistically) lower here. 

On earth for example the ISS is orbiting in around 400 km altitude while the inner Van Allen belt ist around 1600 km. I know that Kerbin has other dimensions than Earth but if I scale things down to resemble earth shouldn't the inner van Allen belt be at least at around 600 or 800 km so that ISS-like space stations can be put into a 45° inclined Kerbin orbit at around 200 to 250 km.

Just curious if anybody else has given this some thought or has also problems with deploying space stations in Kerbalism and if anybody knows if it is possible to tweak some CFG file to edit the parameters of the Van Allen Belts.

Cheers.

52 minutes ago, field_of_gazorpa said:

I have a question about the Van Allen Belts, specifically the inner one on Kerbin. Do you guys also think that it is too low down? If you want to put a space station into the orbit of Kerbin you run into serious problems with the inner Van Allen belt since on the equator it has an altitude of about 80  km (sun-facing side) to 150 km (shadow-facing side).

unless they changed stuff compared to my version, the inner radiation belt does not start until around 200 km, so you have room for space stations

I realize that the support for Near Future Electrical is only limited and that the modules are replaced by Kerbalism ones. But when I run a fission reactor on a vessel and then go to the tracking station, Kerbalism's UI shows that no power is being generated by the vessel, so the reactor isn't being modeled in the background. Am I doing something wrong here? Any help would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, Sahadara said:

I realize that the support for Near Future Electrical is only limited and that the modules are replaced by Kerbalism ones. But when I run a fission reactor on a vessel and then go to the tracking station, Kerbalism's UI shows that no power is being generated by the vessel, so the reactor isn't being modeled in the background. Am I doing something wrong here? Any help would be appreciated.

My A'Tuin was powered by nuclear reactors, and even when I wasn't selecting it, everything was working just fine.

Maybe it's just a problem with the user interface? try to time warp for a while and see if your ship has been doing what it was supposed to do.

Save first, of course

15 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

My A'Tuin was powered by nuclear reactors, and even when I wasn't selecting it, everything was working just fine.

Maybe it's just a problem with the user interface? try to time warp for a while and see if your ship has been doing what it was supposed to do.

Save first, of course

Hmmm, interesting. The issue I described was in a game with quite a few other mods as well. For testing I installed just Kerbalism with Near Future Electrical. Now what I've found is that the reactors don't even work when loaded, let alone in the background. It seems the process that Kerbalism adds in to replace the stock NF reactor process simply doesn't work, it does nothing in my game.

Edit: I was wrong. It wasn't running because there  wasn't room for the waste products to go anywhere. When I add storage for them or set the reactor to dump, it works just fine. I know the compatibility page says there's no heat control in for reactors but do you have any idea if there's a way to get that working with Nertea's own heat control mods?

Edited by Sahadara

41 minutes ago, Sahadara said:

. I know the compatibility page says there's no heat control in for reactors but do you have any idea if there's a way to get that working with Nertea's own heat control mods?

No idea. I don't even know nertea's heat control.

What I did was bring radiatiors aplenty, and then pretend they were needed. Since the only way heat control influences the game is by not making your ship explode, it brought no change to gameplay

So just recently with the new update I noticed that with kerbalism my kerbals eva suits contain 0/0 monopropellant, not sure what's causing this but I have confirmed it to be kerbalism as when I remove it it goes back to normal. Is there possible a MM patch for this?

Edit: I found the issue was with kerbalism - Science-Only Config, Removing the file EVA.cfg from Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalismScienceOnly\System fixed the issue.

Edited by VCamProbe

7 hours ago, VCamProbe said:

So just recently with the new update I noticed that with kerbalism my kerbals eva suits contain 0/0 monopropellant, not sure what's causing this but I have confirmed it to be kerbalism as when I remove it it goes back to normal. Is there possible a MM patch for this?

Edit: I found the issue was with kerbalism - Science-Only Config, Removing the file EVA.cfg from Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalismScienceOnly\System fixed the issue.

kerbals are supposed to have 0 monoprop, it is actually stored in their backpack now.   :)

I'm new to using kerbalism (absolutely loving it), and I have some questions about radition.  I'm also using JNSQ, just FYI.

First, how do you tell if a solar storm is occurring?  I just sent my first kerbals to orbit the Mun, and they got completely fried by radiation (60% exposure by the time they reached the Mun).  I have no radiation shielding (which I'm told is not needed for a Mun trip), so I'm wondering if they got hit by a solar storm.  I didn't see any pop-ups or anything like that, so I'm curious if there is some way to set up notifications for that.

Second, is there a way to reduce lifetime radiation once it is received?  I know that may not be realistic, but I'm just curious all the same.

Thank you for any insights you may have :)

If you go into the settings (while in a game) and then into the difficulty options -> Kerbalism (1), you can deactivate lifetime radiation. Meaning they are completely healed after you recovered them on Kerbin. I don't think there is an option or mod to reduce it slowly. It's either all or nothing, keep it (lifetime radiation) or don't. Though such a treatment facility would be a great mod idea. :D

As for the radiation itself: It might be safe to go to the Mun without shielding in theory, but Kerbin has a radiation belt as well. Press [numpad] 1-3 to see the different belts., 0 to deactivate it again If you keep your Kerbals for too long in such a radiation belt -for example if you launched it straight into such an orbit and then let them make a few rounds- they might accumulate more than on a regular, direct trip. So don't launch them too high, especially on JNSQ. The belt is somewhat tight. I think I usually start with a 110-120km orbit, which is rather safe.

/edit: So I guess your Jeb is making for a fine lightbulb now. Is he glowing already? Are his fellow astronauts describing him as "radiant" already? :)

Edited by caipi

The best way to protect against solar radiation is to point your crew parts away from the sun, preferably with some wider fuel tanks/service modules/other gubbins underneath. The tanks and other gubbins will block out incoming radiation and create a “shadow” which the crew bits will sit in, shielded from basically all the radiation even during a solar storm.

Travelling through the radiation belts of Kerbin at the speed required to reach the Mun shouldn’t add more than a few percent exposure each way; yes, the radiation is powerful, but you spend very little time in the dangerous areas before hurtling out beyond their reach. You’ll get a bit more radiation once you leave Kerbin’s magnetosphere, which points outwards from the sun and reaches about 2/3 of the way to the Mun’s orbit- it’s toggleable by pressing numpad 0 or by pressing B in map/tracking station view and then showing or hiding the various layers.

12 hours ago, ble210 said:

I'm new to using kerbalism (absolutely loving it), and I have some questions about radition.  I'm also using JNSQ, just FYI.

First, how do you tell if a solar storm is occurring?  I just sent my first kerbals to orbit the Mun, and they got completely fried by radiation (60% exposure by the time they reached the Mun).  I have no radiation shielding (which I'm told is not needed for a Mun trip), so I'm wondering if they got hit by a solar storm.  I didn't see any pop-ups or anything like that, so I'm curious if there is some way to set up notifications for that.

Second, is there a way to reduce lifetime radiation once it is received?  I know that may not be realistic, but I'm just curious all the same.

Thank you for any insights you may have :)

you have the kerbalism menu in the top right corner. in there you have some different tabs, one of them is config (cfg). you can set up when you get notifications, and one of them notifications is whether a solar storm is occurring. it is not active by default, but you toggle it on, and it will stop time warp and give you a message every time your ship is about to get hit by one.

Also, you'll see a lightning symbol

zaSI13X.png

in theory, yellow means you're exposed to moderate radiation, red means you're exposed to hard radiations. but in the case of those screenshots, i was being fully shielded from radiations and the crew took no damage, so not sure how it's counted.

anyway, the best way to protect against solar storms is to turn the ship so to block direct sight from the crewed modules to the sun. even a solar panel will suffice. unfortunately, the game mediates exposure from all the crew modules, so make sure that all of them are shielded; if you have landers or shuttles docked, make sure they are protected too.

the best way to protect against radiation belts is to stay away from them. if you have to manuever on them, spend a short time in there.

once you research some tech, the hitchhicker container enables the radiation decontamination unit. it will slowly reduce radiation damage on a single kerbal inside it, while consuming oxygen (you have to manually activate it). i'm not sure if it works on lifetime radiation, but i suppose it does

I think I remember reading that Kerbalism saves the craft orientation relative to the sun when you leave the craft and that is what it uses for background crew radiation exposure.  So even if you have a mod like persistent rotation or principia that simulates your craft rotation in the background, it won't matter as far as the radiation mechanic is concerned. You also have to remember to re-orient your ship if you go back to it mid-flight. 

Thank you all for the responses!  I assume I got hit with a flare, as I kept my Kerbin orbit very low (around 100km), and only got a massive spike in radiation when I was in the sphere of influence of the Mun.  I'll turn on the notifications for flares, and I may turn down their frequency in the kerbalism settings.

5 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

What would a command pod patch need to be compatable with Kerbalism?

pretty sure kerbalism will automatically patch any parts with crew capacity.   Most of the part specific patches look like radiation emitters or comfort, etc... 

I hit a slight snag trying to build Kerbalism from source: The reference to 0Harmony.dll in src/Kerbalism/Kerbalism,csproj points to a hardcoded path that does not exist in the repository and needs to be created manually by copying the corresponding library from a (modded) install of KSP (there is even a comment in Kerbalism,csproj  stating this) .

Is there any particular reason to do it that way? Especially, is there any reason to not have that path configurable in BuildSystem/UserConfigDevEnv.xml and maybe set the default so that it points to $(KSPDevPath)/GameData/000_Harmony/0Harmony.dll (where this dll usually resides in a KSP instance modded with all the dependencies of Kerbalism installed)?

16 minutes ago, RKunze said:

I hit a slight snag trying to build Kerbalism from source: The reference to 0Harmony.dll in src/Kerbalism/Kerbalism,csproj points to a hardcoded path that does not exist in the repository and needs to be created manually by copying the corresponding library from a (modded) install of KSP (there is even a comment in Kerbalism,csproj  stating this) .

Is there any particular reason to do it that way? Especially, is there any reason to not have that path configurable in BuildSystem/UserConfigDevEnv.xml and maybe set the default so that it points to $(KSPDevPath)/GameData/000_Harmony/0Harmony.dll (where this dll usually resides in a KSP instance modded with all the dependencies of Kerbalism installed)?

What version are you using?

9 minutes ago, obnox twin said:

What version are you using?

Of Kerbalism? Current git master (commit #1d6c68e090d). But according to "git blame", that particular reference has been in src/Kerbalism/Kerbalism.csproj for almost a year now (since commit #56b152e45 from 2021-03-17).

Edited by RKunze
Clarification