[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

Having a slight problem with Bluedog parts. They work fine, technically. It's just that the data capacity on them is... really small. Even later pods seem to all be limited to 2MB at most, but a similar stock pod has 14MB or something like that by default. I don't even see a setting in the bluedog.cfg for the pods and probes, and according to the tech guide, that means it should actually default to 'unlimited' since it's not set anywhere. But it's not. So I have no idea what I need to change.

7 hours ago, silvermistshadow said:

Having a slight problem with Bluedog parts. They work fine, technically. It's just that the data capacity on them is... really small. Even later pods seem to all be limited to 2MB at most, but a similar stock pod has 14MB or something like that by default. I don't even see a setting in the bluedog.cfg for the pods and probes, and according to the tech guide, that means it should actually default to 'unlimited' since it's not set anywhere. But it's not. So I have no idea what I need to change.

Browsing the configs, it doesn't look like Kerbalism assigns specific data capacities to the BDB pods. I assume this means BDB is getting the generic Kerbalism data capacity, which is kinda low.

8 hours ago, Kwebib said:

Browsing the configs, it doesn't look like Kerbalism assigns specific data capacities to the BDB pods. I assume this means BDB is getting the generic Kerbalism data capacity, which is kinda low.

Seems like it. I don't have the slightest idea how to go about changing that. I do have some coding experience, so I can sort of eventually figure out the right syntax, but if I get anything wrong, it might explode.

Hi! I have a couple of questions about science data transmission in Kerbalism. Thanks a lot in advance for any answers \o/

1) While relaying data is the transmission speed capped by the rate of the slowest link in the relay network?
2) Does a relay vessel use electricity while another vessel is relaying data through it?
3) How do transmission speeds combine? Is it simple addition or is it similar to how ranges combine?
4) What is the intended balance between relay and direct antennas from the point of view of a vessel trying to transmit its own size? How are two antennas with the same range intended to differ if one of them is a direct antenna while the other also has relay capabilities?

Thanks again!

25 minutes ago, canisin said:

Hi! I have a couple of questions about science data transmission in Kerbalism. Thanks a lot in advance for any answers \o/

1) While relaying data is the transmission speed capped by the rate of the slowest link in the relay network?
2) Does a relay vessel use electricity while another vessel is relaying data through it?
3) How do transmission speeds combine? Is it simple addition or is it similar to how ranges combine?
4) What is the intended balance between relay and direct antennas from the point of view of a vessel trying to transmit its own size? How are two antennas with the same range intended to differ if one of them is a direct antenna while the other also has relay capabilities?

Thanks again!

not sure about any of that, except 2) (no, it does not use electricity).

but i can say that relay data speed is not particularly important, and you don't need to put much effort into it

8 hours ago, Friznit said:

The BDB config is sorely in n3ed of an update.  There have been a few efforts *(linked earlier in the thread) but nothing complete.  Several of the experiments need kerbalisming too .

I've found one so far, but the uploader put it on some temporary upload site and it's gone. I can't seem to find a single pod part in the support configs that has hard drive stuff defined, so I have no reference to do it myself.

EDIT: I think I found the place where it defines the hard drives for individual parts. Though it's only for the base parts, I think I might be able to do... something with it. Maybe. It's in KerbalismConfig\System\ScienceRework

Edited by silvermistshadow

@silvermistshadow stock hard drive data sizes are defined in GameData\KerbalismConfig\System\ScienceRework\Tweakables\StockHardDrives.cfg.

They are then applied to real parts in GameData\KerbalismConfig\System\ScienceRework\Patches-HardDrives.cfg.

If you want to have an idea on how to apply size to other mods parts you can check Near Future Exploration patch in GameData\KerbalismConfig\Support\NFExploration_Science.cfg, for example:

// 1. Definition

// Probe HDD sizes - d4harp
// These are simple estimates based on size and tech tree level relative to stock probes
@KERBALISM_HDD_SIZES:BEFORE[KerbalismDefault]:NEEDS[NearFutureExploration,!RP-0,FeatureScience]
{
	NearFutureExploration
	{
		rnd  // <-- here "rnd" is just a custom name, referenced later in the "apply" step. Usually the same as part name. 
		{
			hddSize = 32
			sam
		} // ...

// 2. Apply
 @PART[nfex-probe-rnd-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureExploration,FeatureScience]:AFTER[KerbalismDefault]
{
	@MODULE[HardDrive]
	{
		@dataCapacity = #$@KERBALISM_HDD_SIZES/NearFutureExploration/rnd/hddSize$  // <- here rnd is referenced
		@sampleCapacity = #$@KERBALISM_HDD_SIZES/NearFutureExploration/rnd/sampleStorage$
	}
}

You could technically just define @dataCapacity directly into the second step, but it is usually cleaner this way, since if you use the same size for multiple parts just one change would fix them all. You can see how it is done for stock parts (the files I said earlier) to get a better idea. I'd not take in consideration NF Exploration values anyway, since from my experience they are quite overpowered (e.g. hdd too big).

If you want to get a better idea on how to write Module Manager patches like these, there is an excellent Handbook and a Syntax Documentation on GitHub.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we're talking about mod compatability oddity, Universal Storage 2 could use a bit of attention.

1) There's some new experimental parts that have no Kerbalism configs set up.

2) The radial goo and material experiments weigh twice as much as the regular parts because by default they're supposed to have double experiment capacity (ie: like carrying two goo units in one). This doesn't translate to Kerbalism. The simplest fix is to just halve the weight and return them to standard experiments.

Hello! I'm posting here since we did some work on Kerbalism & Localization:

1) We added Italian localization in this PR: https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/pull/802

2) I added a bit of functionality in order to support localization of Resource display (using it's localized title) and Configure Module options, here: https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/pull/803 (the details are written in the PR).

Let me know if there's something to change, I'd be happy to hear back from you authors

question: is there some way to only take some science samples and not all?

I am trying to return some samples in a minimal ascent vehicle with four command seats for the crew. the seats are placed symmetrically, but one kerbal has 13 ground samples, 375 kg, and they imbalance the rocket and cause it to go tilted. If I could split those samples equally among the crew, it would work

Question: As far as compatibility, specifically with Nertea's Near Future suite, do I have the right impression that not all of the Near Future mods require explicit support from Kerbalism? Namely the mods that only add engines etc. The only aspect I can think of that might would be reliability stuff being applied to mod engines, but then I wonder if maybe that gets dealt with through part modules so would be automatic.

The TL;DR here is just wondering if things like Near Future Launch Vehicles/Propulsion/anything with mainly/only engines require explicit support, or if it's mainly the crewed/antenna/science/electricity-related parts that need it.

Edit: The specific mod breakdown I'm thinking is something like:
NF Solar, Spacecraft, Electrical = the ones with some explicit support
NF Construction, Propulsion, Launch Vehicles = ones that might not need it
NF Aeronautics, Exploration = ones that would need explicit support added which don't have it now

Close? Or is it exclusively mods on the list after all?

Edited by RocketRyleigh

5 hours ago, Frostiken said:

VF6lSnF.png

What the hell is "Generator" and why is it draining 0.750/s?

That's probably the same as a bug I noticed.  The "Generator" is when you run your engines, a generator makes power.  It's short lived (only working when engines fire), and apparently the planner not only includes this power, but inverts it, making it negative.  Fortunately in gameplay the output is positive, as it should be.

Edited by R-T-B

12 hours ago, Frostiken said:

Could anyone familiar with the guts of Kerbalism answer this?

It's not possible because Kerbalism manage transmissions at the vessel level, not at the module level, and IndicatorLights can only interact with modules.

I am playing Kerbalism with RO+RSS and I wonder if there is an option to disable food water and oxygen for crew to survive in, I want to keep stuff like radiation, electricity and such just not the supplies like food and water for the crew

11 hours ago, Watney said:

I am playing Kerbalism with RO+RSS and I wonder if there is an option to disable food water and oxygen for crew to survive in, I want to keep stuff like radiation, electricity and such just not the supplies like food and water for the crew

whether there is or not such an option in game (probably there isn't), you should be able to easily edit the config files and tell it that a kerbal should consume 0 of everything.

i don't know where to find that, though

I believe you can find the consumption rate in \GameData\KerbalismConfig\Profiles\Default.cfg. You'll probably have to edit the rules for eating, drinking, breathing and reduce the rates to 0. But you might also try SIMPLEX Kerbalism, which is basically a slight simplification of Kerbalism but still keeps radiation, electricity, part failure, stress, etc. It does also have a simplified life support.

14 minutes ago, caipi said:

I believe you can find the consumption rate in \GameData\KerbalismConfig\Profiles\Default.cfg. You'll probably have to edit the rules for eating, drinking, breathing and reduce the rates to 0. But you might also try SIMPLEX Kerbalism, which is basically a slight simplification of Kerbalism but still keeps radiation, electricity, part failure, stress, etc. It does also have a simplified life support.

I'd also suggest SIMPLEX Kerbalism if you want a simplified experience 

question on compatibility/balance with RSS:

in stock ksp, times are greatly compressed. you need 6 hours to reach mun, and a year lasts one third on an earth year due to 6-hours day. kerbalism failure chances is balanced around that.

if i install rss, will failure chance go down to account for the longer missions? or it is just part of the expected increase in difficulty?

and what about food consumption? greenhouse generation rates? how does going from a 6 hour per day, 426 days per year calendar to our normal calendar impact it all?