[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

9 minutes ago, Alex1234567890 said:

Play Kerbalism for a while.Today I launch a satelite into orbit.After time warp,I got this:Anh-chup-man-hinh-2022-07-09-095725.jpg

Look at the under right of the picture.Can you see the abnormal thing?

Yes, it means you have to activate windows. 

Just kidding.  What craft is it? Do you have solar panels deployed? What process is it running? My bet is that you're running some process which consumes electric charge and the solar panels are not providing enough electricity for it to run.

5 hours ago, Alex1234567890 said:

Look at the under right of the picture.Can you see the abnormal thing?

Look, instead of having us play guessing games, can't you actually tell us what is wrong and why it should not be that way?

The only I can see, you have highlighted the battery, 1% and duration: perptual. Looks absolutely normal: the satallyte just moved out of the planet's shadow. So its batteries got discharged during the night, and now they just started to recover.

• 2 weeks later...

What if you play with expanded tech tree where a tech node can cost as much as 10000 science, is it possible to research the entire tree with this mod since science gain is significantly reduced in this mod?

I like everything about the mod but am a bit sceptical about the science gain, I have a feeling it could be too slow with a modded expanded tech tree.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Edited by mcniff

20 minutes ago, mcniff said:

science gain is significantly reduced in this mod?

They aren't reduced. The overall amount of science points available is actually much higher than in stock.
There are massive amounts of science you can get by sending simple unmanned interplanetary science missions.

This being said, Kerbalism removes the silly "infinite science" mechanism of stock labs, so you're indeed forced to actually do new things to get science.

Edited by Gotmachine

6 minutes ago, Alexsys said:

Is kerbalism worth playing rn, with a grand pile of other mods?

or should i better wait for the next update?

it's totally worth playing, if you got to the point that stock is too easy and boring and you want some extra challenge.

as for other mods, there may be problems. I am not an expert here, kerbalism is compatible with all major mods but you should check that.

worst case scenario, the game does not work and you have to remove kerbalism

Kerbalism 3.15 is released

• Added italian localization (@leonardfactory)
  • Backported Comms handling from Kerbalism 4 (@KooZ, @gotmachine)
  • Backported RemoteTech support from Kerbalism 4 (@KooZ)
  • Reworked antenna balance support configs for RemoteTech (@KooZ)
  • Bodies are now sorted by SMA in planner UI (@al2me6)
  • Made shielding efficiency difficulty presets configurable in Settings.cfg (@gotmachine)
  • Resource names are now properly localized (@leonardfactory)
  • Fixed issue #819 : Fatal error on science DB compilation when ROCManager isn't available (@gotmachine)
  • Fixed issue #799 : Sample mass not being included in vessel mass in the editor (@gotmachine)
  • Fixed issue #748 : Disabled ModuleAsteroidDrill background processing. Code isn't working anymore and needs a refactor (@gotmachine)
  • Fixed issue #775 : Lab Experiments don't use the right scientist level requirements(@RoadWarrior9)
  • Fixed issue #745 : Serenity deployed experiments take 10 times longer than stock (@Nistenf)
  • Config tweak : Fix antenna EC calculation typo (@shult12)
  • Config tweak : Adjusted drive capacities for Stock, Restock+ and RLA probes (@hypodronic)
  • Mod support : Pebkac experiment fix (@Gordon-Dry)
  • Mod support : Updated Near Future Spacecraft science support configs (@Vulpodrac)
  • Mod support : Updated SSPX support configs (@sicario, @Vulpodrac, @AlexL)

Thanks to all contributors.

Moderators, if you see this and if you feel this is alright, here is an updated OP for this thread, would be nice if it was copypasted in place of the vastly outdated current one :

KerbalismBanner

Welcome to Kerbalism

Hundreds of Kerbals were killed in the making of this mod.

Kerbalism is a mod for Kerbal Space Program that alters the game to add life support, radiation, ISRU chains, part and engine failures and an entirely new way of doing science.

Features summary :

• Life support : Kerbals consume food, water and oxygen and will die if they aren't provided. Various processes can be added to recycle or produce those resources in situ.
  • Stress : Kerbals require adequate living space, atmospheric pressure and comforts. When those are lacking, they will get more and more stressed and start making mistakes.
  • Radiation : Kerbalism simulate the space radiation environment and radiation from local sources. A vessel must be adequately shielded and mission planning must be adjusted to avoid the most deadly places like planetary radiation belts.
  • Reliability : Components have a limited operational lifetime and will fail over time, and engines have a limited amount of ignitions and a limited burn time.
  • ISRU : Instead of the easy "ore to everything" stock system, producing and processing resources in situ uses a semi-realistic set of extraction and conversion rules.
  • Science over time : Experiments produce data over time. The data is also transmitted over time, making science collection an automated background mechanism instead of the stock click-spammy system. Kerbalism also removes the stock labs "infinite science" mechanism, rebalance the stock experiments and add many probe, satellite and late-game manned experiments.
  • Background processing : All vessels are simulated continuously, not only the currently active one. Life support, resource processing, experiments and data transmission are simulated in the background, even during time warp.
  • Vessels management : Kerbalism provide a centralized user interface to monitor and control all your vessels. Many actions can be performed without having to switch to a vessel.
  • Mission planning : The editor user interface allow to evaluate your vessel design against the various environments and provide extended information about all aspects of the mod.

For more detailed information, go to the Github wiki and the FAQ.

Current version: 3.15

Download : Github releases - CKAN
Docs & support : Github wiki - Discord - FAQ - Github issues - KSP forums thread
License : Unlicense (public domain)
KSP version : 1.8.x to 1.12.x
Requires : Module Manager, CommunityResourcePack, HarmonyKSP, KSPCommunityFixes

Mod compatibility - Changelog - Dev Builds

Download and installation

Download on Github releases or use CKAN

Two packages are required :

• Kerbalism is the core plugin, always required.
  • KerbalismConfig is the official configuration pack.
    It can be be replaced by other packs distributed elsewhere.

Requirements

Configuration packs

The Kerbalism official configuration pack is a feature set maintained by the Kerbalism contributors. It tries to achieve a good balance between realism, difficulty and complexity, is primarily balanced against the stock game and has a "current space tech" scope. Mixing it with other mods that significantly change the stock scale, scope or gameplay isn't well supported and not recommended for a good experience.

Several alternate configuration packs have been created by third party modders :

• ROKerbalism : Official config pack for RO and RP1, maintained by the RP1 team.
  • SIMPLEX : Stockalike simplified life support and ISRU designed to work well with the SIMPLEX tech tree and other mods by theJesuit.
  • SkyhawkKerbalism : A BDB focused profile with revamped LS, science and ISRU going alongside a custom tech tree by CessnaSkyhawk.
  • LessRealThanReal(ism) : A config pack part of a larger mod based on RP1 but made to played at stock scales without RO.

Make sure to install exactly one configuration pack only.
Don't combine packs unless there is explicit instructions to do so.

Mod compatibility and support

Checking the mod compatibility page is mandatory before installing Kerbalism on a heavily modded game.

Kerbalism does very custom stuff. This can break other mods. For a lot of mods that breaks or need balancing, we provide support code and configuration patches. However some mods are incompatible because there is too much feature overlap or support is too complex to implement.

Documentation, help and bug-reporting

• Tutorials and documentation are available at the Github wiki

• Need help ?

Ask on Discord or in the KSP forums thread
    Also see this short YouTube video about useful UI tips.

• You found a bug ?

• You want to report a bug ?

• Install the KSPBugReport plugin and generate a bug report with it. Support requests that don't provide full logs and KSP database dumps are often ignored.
    • Report it on Github issues (preferred) or in the KSP forums thread (we don't go there often).
  • You want to contribute or add support for your mod ?

• Check the technical guide on the wiki
    • Pull requests are welcome, especially for mod support configs. For code contributions, it is recommended to talk to us on Discord before engaging anything.
    • Read the contributing documentation
    • To build the plugin from the source code, read the BuildSystem documentation

Disclaimer and license

This mod is released under the Unlicense, which mean it's in the public domain.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:37 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

I was following the progress of 4.0. Don't mean to pester but is it still in the works?

Not really no. I barely play KSP anymore, I've been mostly casually messing around since quite some time.
That and the fact that KSP 2 is nearing the horizon slowly killed my motivation to work on large scale modding projects.

9 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Seems the new update broke the science only config.

Yes. It would need to be updated to reflect the comms related changes in the default config.

4 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

Not really no. I barely play KSP anymore, I've been mostly casually messing around since quite some time.
That and the fact that KSP 2 is nearing the horizon slowly killed my motivation to work on large scale modding projects.

Hey man, that's fair. Thanks for developing kerbalism. It's been in all my games since I found it and the science mechanic alone changed how I understood this game could be played, none the less the plethora of other features the mod brings.

So Stockalike Station Parts Redux adds artificial gravity centrifuges that adds to kerbal stress management. This makes sense if the centrifuge is a single part with a "toggle" function for the habitat. However, say I use robotic parts and normal habitat parts to create a custom centrifugal module, will that force be counted as artificial gravity and therefore contribute to stress management?

14 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

The fact that you've delivered a legendary cake so far, i believe it's worthy to call it done.

i am fresh new into kerbalism, and to me as a fresh explorer it seems complete.

overhauls should be done with passion, yet they aren't always necessary, especially if ksp 2 is real near :)

kerbalism is exceptional as is

19 hours ago, Socowez said:

So Stockalike Station Parts Redux adds artificial gravity centrifuges that adds to kerbal stress management. This makes sense if the centrifuge is a single part with a "toggle" function for the habitat. However, say I use robotic parts and normal habitat parts to create a custom centrifugal module, will that force be counted as artificial gravity and therefore contribute to stress management?

Nop. I asked a very similar question ( if a vessel attached by a tether to a counterweight started spinning, would the centrypetal force be counted as gravity ') and AFAIK, kerbalism doesnt have a way to read the aceleration the kerbals are under to know if they affected by gravity or not.

9 hours ago, SiCaRiO31 said:

Nop. I asked a very similar question ( if a vessel attached by a tether to a counterweight started spinning, would the centrypetal force be counted as gravity ') and AFAIK, kerbalism doesnt have a way to read the aceleration the kerbals are under to know if they affected by gravity or not.

Honestly that would be really cool if I could do a Constelllation MTV style spin up would count as gravity. 

hey, first of all big thanks for the update. I love that despite of KSP 2 being around the door soon (hopefully) there is still work put into this. Nonetheless I wanted to inform you about a few bugs/probelms I managed to find with the new version (mostly comms related). First of all, I tried using it with Remote Tech and it still doesnt seem to integrate properly. For me this meant that while connection generally worked, it broke as soon as I started a Science Instrument. In addition to this, the remaining time for the experiment was showd as "ND". That Porblem was solved as soon as I removed Remote Tech from my install. 

The second problem I found was with the background loading of vessels and with their connections to the KSC. It seems that they arent able to connect to the network while in the KSC View. This changes while being in the tracking station, but even there it isnt working realiably (sometimes you have to select the vehicle so that their connections are calculated.

I would love to know if anybode else runs into these problems as I am of course running a brand new (newly installed two days ago) but heavly modded install. 

EDIT: For a short time I thought the second problem was solved by removing Antenna Helper (a mod which visualises the range of communication devices) but this turned out to be not the root of the problem as the connection still doesnt seem to work in the KSC screen

Edited by Horstan
diddnt second problem i thought i solved

Hello I have a problem with the RO Configs. with me, all ISRU, which are no longer displayed for all manned parts. how can i fix this?

PS:  the reliability is also no longer visible in the VAB.

Edited by msp307

I just noticed that in my Kerbalism game the nuclear engines don't lose ignitions or burn time. All other engines I've tried do properly lose reliability and fail, including modded engines. It's apparently only the nuclear ones that are exempt. Is anyone else seeing this?

On 7/29/2022 at 5:33 PM, Horstan said:

It seems that they arent able to connect to the network while in the KSC View. This changes while being in the tracking station, but even there it isnt working realiably (sometimes you have to select the vehicle so that their connections are calculated.

Just released v3.16 which should fix that issue : https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/releases/tag/3.16

On 7/29/2022 at 5:33 PM, Horstan said:

I tried using it with Remote Tech and it still doesnt seem to integrate properly. For me this meant that while connection generally worked, it broke as soon as I started a Science Instrument. In addition to this, the remaining time for the experiment was showd as "ND".

I personally haven't tested the RT support and I don't intent to maintain it. Not sure if the contributor that added that support back in is still around.

Does anyone have the issue where the resource "MaterialKits" is basically stripped from cargo modules? In fact, my cargo container mods (esp. USI) are basically restricted down to just water, and food. I can't use anything else, Kerbalism injected its own code.

This means I can't use ANY of the orbital construction mods, they all use MaterialKits, so I can't supply them.

Edited by Frostiken

I was finally able to get this working with RemoteTech, I had to uncomment the DampingExponentOverride, it seems without manually setting it there was never a DataRateDampingExponent being generated (or at least KSP.log made no mention of anything to do with a DataRate).

The only question that remains is, how is that exponent usually calculated? I play on JNSQ scales, and I have no idea if the default 14 is a good fit for that because there is absolutely no clue as to how it is decided.