[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

6 minutes ago, bungling said:

1: yes

2: no

i did see the post that said 3.16 has a comms problem but im worried if i downgrade to 3.15 something might break

Try to open Settings.cfg in /KerbalismConfig and find

// DampingExponentOverride = 14        // Kerbalism will calculate a damping exponent to achieve good data communication rates (see KSP.log, search for DataRateDampingExponent). If the calculated value is not good for you, you can set your own.

there.

Then enable it and try to play with it.
But beware -- the bigger the number -- the worse your comms will be.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:28 AM, angelatthetomb said:

Does anyone know a way to get Strategia's "Science from New Biome" reward strategy, To Boldy Go, to work with Kerbalism? Because Kerbalism seems to intercept the science, Strategia never gives the reward, whether it's auto-science done through the Kerbalism window or the old-style science popup you get on some experiments.

I've been wondering the same thing.  I suspect Strategia is looking for a specific trigger to hook its reward function into.  This trigger works for stock science but not for the way Kerbalism science is handled.  I noticed the question about getting "To Boldly Go" to work with Kerbalism was also asked on the Strategia thread, and the response was unfortunately "go ask on the Kerbalism thread".

From the bit of digging around I've done I suspect getting a fix will require actual programming rather than via an MM patch, which is beyond my skillset.  My work around has been to open the console  (Alt-F12) and manually credit funds for each new biome I collect science from.  Note - it's only one payout for each new biome, not for each experiment per biome :P

In the meantime, if there are any individuals with coding skills able to come to the rescue you would have our undying and everlasting gratitude!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Strategia is very broken, especially (but not exclusively) for Kerbalism. And it seems the author is not actively developing it anymore.

Thanks for making us aware, too bad.

Another question: I'm having an issue with the HDD size increase unlocks in a heavily modded install. The "special" unlocks, contained in ScienceRework/Tweakables/StockHardDrives, work - these cores have expanded sizes after unlocking the requisite tech nodes. But nothing else does - it's all still at 2MB even after unlocking experimental electrics.

Any advice for narrowing in on what might be causing this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Just started using Kerbalism for the first time; I've noticed that a lot of the higher-tier engines (mainly the Near Future and Far Future stuff from Nertea) have the exact same burn durations: 10 minutes standard, 40 minutes high quality. Why is this?

Apparently the author is no longer developing it, which is a shame. Perhaps it would be worth someone figuring out what the burn durations should be?

Edited by intelliCom

3 hours ago, intelliCom said:

Just started using Kerbalism for the first time; I've noticed that a lot of the higher-tier engines (mainly the Near Future and Far Future stuff from Nertea) have the exact same burn durations: 10 minutes standard, 40 minutes high quality. Why is this?

Apparently the author is no longer developing it, which is a shame. Perhaps it would be worth someone figuring out what the burn durations should be?

i think there is a formula for allowed duration and ignitions that takes into account thrust, Isp(vacuum) and Isp(sea level). basically, the more powerful an engine is, the more it is atmospheric-optimized, the less burn time and ignitions it has. until it hits a minimum, and can't go lower

Edited by king of nowhere

17 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

i think there is a formula for allowed duration and ignitions that takes into account thrust, Isp(vacuum) and Isp(sea level). basically, the more powerful an engine is, the more it is atmospheric-optimized, the less burn time and ignitions it has. until it hits a minimum, and can't go lower

I'm referring to really damn advanced though. Fission fragments, fusion, NTR, ones that don't exist in reality. All the standard rocket engines have seemingly normal values for burn duration.

Literally all of the advanced engines carry the same burn durations, as mentioned before. This doesn't seem right to me, and I wanted to know if the numbers are provable or just placeholders.

2 hours ago, intelliCom said:

I'm referring to really damn advanced though. Fission fragments, fusion, NTR, ones that don't exist in reality. All the standard rocket engines have seemingly normal values for burn duration.

Literally all of the advanced engines carry the same burn durations, as mentioned before. This doesn't seem right to me, and I wanted to know if the numbers are provable or just placeholders.

so you are talking about far future engines. as far as i'm aware, kerbalism is not made with those in mind. as i said, there is a formula, and as far as I am aware (note, I am not in the dev team or anything, just a long time user) the equation is used for engines that the mod doesn't recognize. kerbalism is not even supposed to be strictly compatible with the far future stuff (while it is supposed to be compatible with near future)

7 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

so you are talking about far future engines. as far as i'm aware, kerbalism is not made with those in mind. as i said, there is a formula, and as far as I am aware (note, I am not in the dev team or anything, just a long time user) the equation is used for engines that the mod doesn't recognize. kerbalism is not even supposed to be strictly compatible with the far future stuff (while it is supposed to be compatible with near future)

Oh so they're basically automatically generated based on their stats? And apparently the burn durations aren't part of that equation, I guess?

Interesting. Would it be worth discussing what their burn durations should be in a seperate thread?

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, msp307 said:

Hi, why are kerbalism RO-configs, life support and converters "disabled"? nor do the kerbals consume oxygen.

does anyone know a solution?

Do you have a working and up to date Realism Overhaul install, or just Kerbalism + the RO-Kerbalism configs?

I'm pretty sure the RO-Kerbalism configs aren't maintained by as part of kerbalism, but as part of Realism Overhaul.  (And they might assume that most of Realism Overhaul and dependencies are installed).   

Assuming you do have Realism Overhaul installed you will probably get a better response on the RO discord https://discord.gg/VdsxK9p7QC 

Edited by AVaughan

45 minutes ago, AVaughan said:

Do you have a working and up to date Realism Overhaul install, or just Kerbalism + the RO-Kerbalism configs?

I'm pretty sure the RO-Kerbalism configs aren't maintained by as part of kerbalism, but as part of Realism Overhaul.  (And they might assume that most of Realism Overhaul and dependencies are installed).   

Assuming you do have Realism Overhaul installed you will probably get a better response on the RO discord https://discord.gg/VdsxK9p7QC 

Thank you for your prompt reply. yes I have both RO and Kerbalism+ROconfig.

is it then in my case described that it is then due to RO?

The Configurable Unmanned Experiments button in the VAB/SPH is gone, nowhere to be found when right clicking a probe. All other configurable menus are okay (life support, crew experiments, base experiments, lab, etc)
What should I look into in order to find where the problem is?

This happened after the last update. I went back to 12.1.3 and the problem persists.

Apologies if this has already been asked but I couldn't seem to find it on the wiki.

I am wondering if there is something that shows the possible transmission rates of antennas in the VAB. Not antenna's in the VAB inventory itself, but for your actual ship you are building. You can see stats of your ship for things like electric charge, oxygen, radiation, food, water etc in the little kerbalism window, but i cant seem to see anything for transmission rates. Am I just not seeing something obvious?

On 11/13/2022 at 8:38 PM, jebalicious said:

Apologies if this has already been asked but I couldn't seem to find it on the wiki.

I am wondering if there is something that shows the possible transmission rates of antennas in the VAB. Not antenna's in the VAB inventory itself, but for your actual ship you are building. You can see stats of your ship for things like electric charge, oxygen, radiation, food, water etc in the little kerbalism window, but i cant seem to see anything for transmission rates. Am I just not seeing something obvious?

As far as I'm aware, no, Kerbalism itself doesn't do this due to transmission rates not being constant - they mainly vary due to distance. There was a KCC - Kerbalism Companion Calculator which did this, unsure if it still works in the latest game version. Feel free to give it a try.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2580/Kerbalism Companion Calculator

On 11/9/2022 at 1:53 PM, adriangm44 said:

The Configurable Unmanned Experiments button in the VAB/SPH is gone, nowhere to be found when right clicking a probe. All other configurable menus are okay (life support, crew experiments, base experiments, lab, etc)
What should I look into in order to find where the problem is?

This happened after the last update. I went back to 12.1.3 and the problem persists.

This is subject to what other mods you have installed. Something is messing with the patching order of Kerbalism, and it breaks somewhere. I cannot replicate this issue, as the Configurable Unmanned Experiments button is present and working fine in my install.

3 minutes ago, SilverState said:

As far as I'm aware, no, Kerbalism itself doesn't do this due to transmission rates not being constant - they mainly vary due to distance. There was a KCC - Kerbalism Companion Calculator which did this, unsure if it still works in the latest game version. Feel free to give it a try.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2580/Kerbalism Companion Calculator

It would still be helpful to see the maximum total speed at 0 distance, even without range penalties.

17 hours ago, SilverState said:

This is subject to what other mods you have installed. Something is messing with the patching order of Kerbalism, and it breaks somewhere. I cannot replicate this issue, as the Configurable Unmanned Experiments button is present and working fine in my install.

The Unmanned Experiments not appearing was caused by some custom configs by Wallum. Inside the folder with the same name, find the KerbalismConfig folder, there are a few patches there, one of them contains a few lines that delete the experiments on all command probes. 

I'll leave it here just in case someone runs into the same problem.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, adriangm44 said:

The Unmanned Experiments not appearing was caused by some custom configs by Wallum. Inside the folder with the same name, find the KerbalismConfig folder, there are a few patches there, one of them contains a few lines that delete the experiments on all command probes. 

I'll leave it here just in case someone runs into the same problem.

Cheers!

That makes sense, and is fairly common.

The patching system of Kerbalism is pretty complex and convoluted, due to the sweeping changes Kerbalism does to a lot of game systems. Due to that complexity, it's also vulnerable to other mods patching/removing triggers that kerbalism relies on to apply the correct configurations to parts.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:21 AM, intelliCom said:

How are you getting it to work?  I have the necessary files installed into GameData but it's not working :-/

8 hours ago, mdstrobe said:

How are you getting it to work?  I have the necessary files installed into GameData but it's not working :-/

I had it installed via CKAN. You can use CKAN alongside a few manually installed mods just fine.

• 2 weeks later...