[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

1 hour ago, Max_Xu said:

I think this is a bug,Is it possible to fix it?

first, check that data transmission is fine. maybe the experiment generates samples, and those samples must be returned to generate science.

second, if it is indeed a bug, you can use the cheat menu to cheat the contract completed. it's supposed to be used as a debug tool

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

first, check that data transmission is fine. maybe the experiment generates samples, and those samples must be returned to generate science.

second, if it is indeed a bug, you can use the cheat menu to cheat the contract completed. it's supposed to be used as a debug tool

It is the contract percentage display error, and the contract is completed after the data is completely collected.

5 hours ago, Robhar174 said:

Is there anyway I can uninstall kerbalism and the impacts it has on other components?

just delete the kerbalism folder.

if you want to keep different careers with and without kerbalism, you can copy the game folder to have a second install of ksp, and have one with and one without kerbalism. i myself have, like, 6 different versions of ksp

Airships Nov 2019 Incompatible Due to it using the same "Atmosphere" resource with a different density.

What does this mean? I don't know what was going on in 2019 but blimps work with Kerbalism now. 

Problems I have had are with electricity usage and generation. I have 60k electric power and any electric fan from airships will use the entire thing before it even spins up. Also the nuke generator gyro is way op but two are not even close to power any one fan. 

Anyway I was reading the Wiki and still can't figure out how to write a config to get this to work. Where do I start?

Edit: Ok I figured out the atmosphere thing was solved in the via MM patch  in the support folder. 

So I just make some MM patches to fix the rest?

Edited by SpaceFoon
new info

@Sir Mortimer Hi,  I found a bug which is caused by replacing stock planetary system by new one from the Kcalbeloh planet pack (it has homeswitch configured). But the issue concerns Kerbalism mod (I installed everthing in CKAN and didn't use any other mods, even graphics mods), KSP version is 1.12.5. When you don't use homeswitch and use stock KSP planet system, Kerbalism science data collection system works properly and the timer for collecting data starts properly and the data is getting gathered. But when I set homeswitch to Suluco (Kcalbeloh's planet pack), the data can't be gathered and the time simply does not start and it says that there is no connection to the DSN KSC. It seems to me that Suluco doesn't have its own 'DSN: KSC' point to which Kerbalism must refer. You can clearly see it in Connection Manager GUI that Kerbalism provides. I'm attaching two screenshots where you can see Kerbin - stock system and Kcalbeloh (homeswitch option in config is set to false), and a screenshot where you can see Suluco (homeswitch is set to Suluco) and the science data there is not gathered. Pay attention to Connection Manager, on Kerbin it says that it is connected to DSN, but on Suluco it tries to connect to DSN every 3 seconds. In what way can I modify Kerbalism's files/configs in order to set DSN KSC on new planetary system. P.S. When using homeswitch, it removes Kerbol system basically. 

Kerbin:
iU4qW4f.png
Suluco:
5500SaD.png

I know science is decreased in Kerbalism but how much science is there to gather in total?

I am wondering if you could play Kerbalism together with Far Future mods which adds parts in very expensive nodes, some cost up to 10000 science..

5 hours ago, Saturn1234 said:

Is it possible to play Knes with Kerbalism? I didn't see it in the list of supported mods, but if anyone has tried it.

It is certainly possible. Knes is ultimately just a parts mod. The parts will show up, however they may not be correctly configured for Kerbalism in terms of functionality, ie the cabins may not have shielding or experiments etc. You will likely have to write your own MM patches for this.

33 minutes ago, mcniff said:

I know science is decreased in Kerbalism but how much science is there to gather in total?

I am wondering if you could play Kerbalism together with Far Future mods which adds parts in very expensive nodes, some cost up to 10000 science..

You'll have enough science for it. And if you are playing career mode you can get infinite science through contracts, too. 

50 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

It is certainly possible. Knes is ultimately just a parts mod. The parts will show up, however they may not be correctly configured for Kerbalism in terms of functionality, ie the cabins may not have shielding or experiments etc. You will likely have to write your own MM patches for this.

You'll have enough science for it. And if you are playing career mode you can get infinite science through contracts, too. 

Alright, thanks.

I've found a weird (or rather possibly rare) issue with compatibility between Kerbalism and Bureaucracy. Admittedly, I didn't read through all 63 forum pages here, but I did go through the mod compatibility section and FAQ's for Kerbalism and didn't see anything. The intended behaviour of the Bureaucracy mod works great... if you are in a Career mode save. The science goes through the Bureaucracy research stage and you get your science. If you're running a Science mode save, it doesn't work at all. You just never get the science. 

I doubt it's a bug that realistically needs fixing, since I would assume that people who are using Bureaucracy are playing in Career mode (I had it installed as a leftover from a long time ago and started a Science mode playthrough recently and decided to add Kerbalism and stopped getting any science progression). Maybe just a compatibility note on in the FAQ's or the mod compatibility section.

Please forgive me if this topic been covered already, but here's my issue:
MEJ8JRU_t.png

same with CO2, but nitrogen harvester works.

Was wondering if it's know issue or some incompatibility

update: so I looked through configs and found ResourceConfigs folder, with Nitrogen.cfg and Ammonia.cfg inside. I copied Nitrogen file and replaced contents with oxygen, and voila, oxygen now works.

Which puzzles me, no way that Kerbalism doesn't include these files by default? I installed it from CKAN, both Kerbalism and Kerbalism default config, version 3.17. Reinstalled to make sure with deletion of folders from gamedata, same thing, only 2 files.

Is there way to get full configs?

in the end I decided to go with Simplex config. I still didn't give up on the idea of self-sustainability and being able to refuel on planets, which seems hardly achievable with full configs.

Unexpected side effect is that my KSS now takes a second to load, as opposed to good 10 seconds prior to that.

Edited by zerberr

Is there some sort of bug with the data transmission rates in the current version? In my early game, I was getting a transmission rate of 0.1 B/s from the Mun even though I was using the antenna and the signal strength was 96%. It should be pretty close to the rated speed of 5kb for the HG-5 High Gain Antenna.

C8vVnWa.png

Edited by Empiro

11 hours ago, zerberr said:

Please forgive me if this topic been covered already, but here's my issue:
MEJ8JRU_t.png

same with CO2, but nitrogen harvester works.

Was wondering if it's know issue or some incompatibility

update: so I looked through configs and found ResourceConfigs folder, with Nitrogen.cfg and Ammonia.cfg inside. I copied Nitrogen file and replaced contents with oxygen, and voila, oxygen now works.

Which puzzles me, no way that Kerbalism doesn't include these files by default? I installed it from CKAN, both Kerbalism and Kerbalism default config, version 3.17. Reinstalled to make sure with deletion of folders from gamedata, same thing, only 2 files.

Is there way to get full configs?

in the end I decided to go with Simplex config. I still didn't give up on the idea of self-sustainability and being able to refuel on planets, which seems hardly achievable with full configs.

Unexpected side effect is that my KSS now takes a second to load, as opposed to good 10 seconds prior to that.

well, it says there is no oxygen in the atmosphere, so the spectrovariometer is working exactly as it should.

the planetary resources, on the other hand, are not.

i see you have a bunch of other mods, it could be a compatibility issue

7 hours ago, Empiro said:

Is there some sort of bug with the data transmission rates in the current version? In my early game, I was getting a transmission rate of 0.1 B/s from the Mun even though I was using the antenna and the signal strength was 96%. It should be pretty close to the rated speed of 5kb for the HG-5 High Gain Antenna.

Data rates do fall off quickly with small changes in signal strength, but that is rather extreme.

What are your settings under the comms section in Settings.cfg? Are you using the default Kerbalism-Config?

I was able to figure it out. Yes, I was using the default config. Under the Kerbalism Settings.cfg, I found:

//DampingExponentOverride = 14        // Kerbalism will calculate a damping exponent to achieve good data communication rates (see KSP.log, search for DataRateDampingExponent). If the calculated value is not good for you, you can set your own.

In my KSP.log, I saw that the value had been computed as:

[LOG 09:34:34.502] [Kerbalism] Sim.get_DataRateDampingExponent Calculated DataRateDampingExponent: 365.9167 (max. DSN range: 2000000000000, strength at 2 AU: 0.999)

I'm not sure if it's a mod conflict or something else that made the damping value so high. I uncommented out the override and everything now works as expected.

Edited by Empiro

I took a look at the source code, out of curiosity. What the code does is try to make data rates fall off in a similar manner, regardless of the size of your solar system (the stock system is really small compared to our real life system). It does this using the max DSN range in your game and the "Astronomical Unit (AU)" of your system (the distance from your homebody to its sun).

@Empiro You are playing with the stock system, and changed the default max DSN range, correct? That log entry shows your max DSN range is 2E12, which is 8x larger than the max DSN range of the stock tracking station (250E9).

A damping exponent of 365 is correct given the stock system and a max DSN range of 2E12.  If you plug in 250E9 (stock max range) and use the stock system (and thus stock AU), the damping exponent is 6.

Of course, if you want a large DSN range and small system, that's what the override in Settings.cfg is for.

I have OPM installed, and that might have modified with the maximum DSN range. I'm not 100% sure, however. I can look through my mod folders. Do you know what's the setting to look for that modifies the DSN?

Edited by Empiro

I've actually never used OPM, but I looked at it on GitHub and it has a Custom Barn Kit config (OPM_CommNet.cfg) that modifies the tracking station to have a 4th upgrade level with 2E12 range.

I think you could actually call this a bug on Kerbalism's end. It needs to have another method to calculate this damping exponent for people with small Astronomical Units but large DSN requirements, such as with OPM.

For OPM, I'd just keep using that override. Here is the source code for this specific feature, if you're curious. I stuck all the numbers and math in a spreadsheet to see how it worked.

https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/blob/master/src/Kerbalism/Sim.cs#L841

There is a small typo in the config file for Habtech 2.  it was causing B9 to error out.

Line 1790
-B9_TANK_TYPE[ht2_02]:NEEDS[HabTech2,B9PartSwitch,CommunityResourcePack,!ProfileNone]:AFTER[zzzKerbalismDefault] { }

Should be replaced with
@B9_TANK_TYPE[ht2_02]:NEEDS[HabTech2,B9PartSwitch,CommunityResourcePack,!ProfileNone]:AFTER[zzzKerbalismDefault] { }

Typo with the first character.