Jump to content

[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11


Sir Mortimer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi! I noticed that with Breaking Ground expansion if I set "Science = false" in Settings.cfg then the transmission of ground experiments does not work. The signal is strong, Kerbol is shining over the solar panels, but sadly science transmitted remains 0%.

I tried with a clean installation with just KSP 1.9.1.2788 + Breaking Ground 1.4.1 + Kerbalism 3.7 and the problem is still present in career and science mode. It's worth to mention that if change the settings to "Science = true", then the transmission occours as soon I restart the game.

Is this a known bug? Is there any solution?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Kerbalism is wonderful mod.

I have however a question regarding ISRU on no-atmosphere bodies. The problem is in CO2 production rate from molten regolith. To satisfy the CO2 demand of a tiny Sabatier (tiny = Chemical Plant) which is 6,981/s I would need 43 pcs (!!!) of small MRE (small = Covert-O-tron 125), or 9 pcs of big MRE (big = Convert-O-tron 250), with double MRE. And probably a nuclear plant to satisfy power demand for such a monster, because requirement is 3240 EC/s for 9 big MRE, which is something like 135 pcs of Gigantor XL solar arrays at Kerbin :sealed::lol::lol::lol: Still, this monster would make only 3,6 LF per hour! Jumbo 64 fuel tank (the good old "orange" one) has 2880 LF. To fill it I would have to wait 800 hours.

Realistically speaking, I can make a plant with 2 x Covert-O-tron 125 MRE, 1 tiny Sabatier + the other stuff (H2O electrolysis), and such plant could make 99 (!!!) units of Liquid Fuel in about ... 600 hours :o 
is there any other trick? Waste incineration looks promising, but where to get waste from? I know, plenty on Earth, but not on Mun or Minimus...

Can I do something? Or forget it and create big tankers and ship the fuel everywhere from Kerbin? Because ISRU makes no sense with such production rates. I'm playing JNSQ, this is not so cheap... Thanks for your advice!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2020 at 11:47 PM, WojtekT said:

The problem is in CO2 production rate from molten regolith. To satisfy the CO2 demand of a tiny Sabatier (tiny = Chemical Plant) which is 6,981/s I would need 43 pcs (!!!) of small MRE (small = Covert-O-tron 125), or 9 pcs of big MRE (big = Convert-O-tron 250), with double MRE. And probably a nuclear plant to satisfy power demand for such a monster, because requirement is 3240 EC/s for 9 big MRE, which is something like 135 pcs of Gigantor XL solar arrays at Kerbin :sealed::lol::lol::lol: Still, this monster would make only 3,6 LF per hour! Jumbo 64 fuel tank (the good old "orange" one) has 2880 LF. To fill it I would have to wait 800 hours.

CO2 low output from MRE process is not really a Kerbalism problem, it's just how reaction works. MRE is aimed for oxygen production, not for carbon dioxide extraction.

My suggestion for ISRU on non-atmospheric bodies is to search for water (ice) and electrolyse it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, I have a question about EC need.

My Space Program is in its early days and I am playing at hard difficulty.

Kerbalism, ProbesBeforeCrew, ThroughtheEyesofKerbal and ProbeControlroom amongst other stuff.

So getting to orbit and space takes time, I've just started to build my ComNetwork (of course playing with the setting that I need a direct signal to KSC only). Hence I build ComSATs which need relay antennas and to work 24/7, also to survive the shadow of Kerbin.

I noticed that the EC need have increased drastically and the EC production of the earliest panels have been reduced. To survive One orbit I had to create something like this:

https://imgur.com/a/fQOZpni

 

So my question is... is this how Kerbalism has ment it to be or am I seeing some wierd incompability issue?

 

In VAB it says that the HG-5 antenna draws 2.057 ec/s when idle while each of my OX-Stat solar panels each should create 0.3 ec/s
It seems rather inefficient... :) 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just checked the HG-5, and I am seeing 0.029/minute for idle.

With only the HECS core, it lasts 6m 31s with the antenna at idle, 1m 8s with transmitting data. Not sure if the other mods have soemthing going on to add a multiplier to EC usage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, cxg2827 said:

I just checked the HG-5, and I am seeing 0.029/minute for idle.

With only the HECS core, it lasts 6m 31s with the antenna at idle, 1m 8s with transmitting data. Not sure if the other mods have soemthing going on to add a multiplier to EC usage.

Thank you! 

Hmmm, I think I read somewhere about the Interstellar expanded mod messed it up. Guess I'll uninstall it to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Judicator81 said:

CO2 low output from MRE process is not really a Kerbalism problem, it's just how reaction works. MRE is aimed for oxygen production, not for carbon dioxide extraction.

My suggestion for ISRU on non-atmospheric bodies is to search for water (ice) and electrolyse it.

Thanks, but it wouldn't work. Electrolysing water gives you H2 and O2. However for Sabatier process (making LF) we need CO2, and the only CO2 source is regolith (Molten Regolith Electrolysis).

I found another solution: modifying default profile (default.cfg is located in /KerbalismConfig/Profiles). I looked into it, and I found this:

Process
  {
    name = molten regolith electrolysis
    title = #KERBALISM_Process_MoltenRegolithElectrolysis
    modifier = _MRE
    input = [email protected] // 2 kW MRE reactor at 2300 K with heat corrosion resistant crucible
    input = [email protected]
    output = [email protected]           // 42% of regolith is O2
    output = [email protected]  // approx 2% of regolith is CO2, released in the pre-heating stage @950K

 

Here you see there is assumption that 2% of regolith is CO2. To justify the modification, I assumed, that in Kerbol system the regolith contains 42% of CO2 :cool:

I noticed: both ModuleManager.ConfigCache as well as default.cfg should be edited, else the game breaks.

Edited by WojtekT
solved the problem
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, EasyAce said:

Thank you! 

Hmmm, I think I read somewhere about the Interstellar expanded mod messed it up. Guess I'll uninstall it to see.

Nope still seeing 2.057 ec/s use for the HG-5 when idle (extended but not transmitting)

Hmm, if it is not supposed to be like this, this is annoying :).

Installing KSP vanilla on the side and only kerbalism to see if it is the same need without any other mods.

 

Edited by EasyAce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EasyAce said:

Nope still seeing 2.057 ec/s use for the HG-5 when idle (extended but not transmitting)

Hmm, if it is not supposed to be like this, this is annoying :)

 

Check FAQ Q: My probes use 12 EC/s for comms and die within seconds!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@EasyAce do you use remote tech? It's not really compatible with Kerbalism anymore and I know I saw really high EC usage when I had it installed. Actually I didn't really have it installed I was just holding on to the antenna parts but the RemoteTech folder was there and the MM patches picked it up and made the changes anyway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

@EasyAce do you use remote tech? It's not really compatible with Kerbalism anymore and I know I saw really high EC usage when I had it installed. Actually I didn't really have it installed I was just holding on to the antenna parts but the RemoteTech folder was there and the MM patches picked it up and made the changes anyway

Thanks for asking. No I am not using RemoteTech.

I did install a vanilla version now with only Kerbalism and I now find the HG-5 antenna to pull only 0.192 ec.

My Octo pod with one OX-Stat and One HG-5 is actualy lying on the launch pad workingn perpetual - as I initialy expected.

- will continue to check. Must be some of my other mods messing this up. Maybe I find something missing on the Kerbalism mod compability list :)

Edited by EasyAce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EasyAce said:

Thanks for asking. No I am not using RemoteTech.

I did install a vanilla version now with only Kerbalism and I now find the HG-5 antenna to pull only 0.192 ec.

My Octo pod with one OX-Stat and One HG-5 is actualy lying on the launch pad workingn perpetual - as I initialy expected.

- will continue to check. Must be some of my other mods messing this up. Maybe I find something missing on the Kerbalism mod compability list :)

Case Closed.

Research Bodies was the issue. I did remove that .cfg file when I added Research bodies initially, but somehow it was still there.

Short description:

- If you have research bodies installed go to GameData\REPOSoftTech\ResearchBodies

Delete the following file:

- ResearchBodiesMMRemoteTech.cfg.

 

It is described in the Kerbalism Wiki, so this one is all on me, but I suggest adding "Research Bodies" to the compability list. 

https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/Home-~-Mod-Support

Edited by EasyAce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mabdi36 said:

I would just like to ask if this mod is compatible with KIS, rational resources and better srbs?

Yes for KIS, I don't use the others so no idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Li0n said:

Yes for KIS, I don't use the others so no idea.

For Rational Resources I would guess so to, because JNSQ needs it and JNSQ also supports Kerbalism. But BetterSrbs might not work...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, WojtekT said:

Thanks, but it wouldn't work. Electrolysing water gives you H2 and O2. However for Sabatier process (making LF) we need CO2, and the only CO2 source is regolith (Molten Regolith Electrolysis).

Yes, and you could use H2 and O2 for hydrolox engines (from CryoEngines mod, for example). Well, not directly, because for some strange reason Kerbalism suggests, that stock Oxidizer is a hydrogen peroxide, not LOX. But you can produce H2O2 (i.e. Oxidizer) from H2 and O2: Kerbalism has process for this.

My point is: LFO engines are a poor choice, if you are aiming for fuel/oxidizer production on site, and the "site" of choice is some no-atmosphere body. This is specifically true for moons and dwarf planets not far from Sun (as Mun, for example), as they have scarce carbon and nitrogen supplies.

Edited by Judicator81
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editted to add 2: Ignore this post. I just noticed the Scrubbers have been moved to a tech node that I've yet to unlock due to the wacky tree I'm using.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue. I've recently moved my campaign from 1.7.3 to 1.8.1 and upgrade Kerbalism to version 3.7.0. Everything seems to be fine except I can no longer configure any pods, habitats, or ECLSS in the VAB, though changing science is fine. Moreover, on my space station, all life support devices have changed to water recyclers, and Jeb and Bill are starting to find the air a bit stale.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this? I've uninstalled and reinstalled Kerbalism both from ckan and manually.

Thanks

MMPatch.log

ModuleManager.log

Edited to add: The problem doesn't exist in sandbox mode.

Edited by LessrOf2Weevils
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2020 at 1:03 PM, Judicator81 said:

Yes, and you could use H2 and O2 for hydrolox engines (from CryoEngines mod, for example). Well, not directly, because for some strange reason Kerbalism suggests, that stock Oxidizer is a hydrogen peroxide, not LOX. But you can produce H2O2 (i.e. Oxidizer) from H2 and O2: Kerbalism has process for this.

Correct, hydrolox engines + water electrolysis (+ liquefaction & storage) might be the solution. However I don't use RealFuels / CryoEngines in my actual JNSQ game.

But - do you (does anybody?) know how gaseous H2 and gaseous O2 are turned into LOX and LH2 in these mods? Do I need another converter (liquifier, in fact)? Is it included in CryoEngines/RealFuels/somewhere else? What about boil-off? I don't like to discover that my freshly liquified H2 turns into vapour and happily escapes to space... Appreciate your advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2020 at 5:37 PM, WojtekT said:

But - do you (does anybody?) know how gaseous H2 and gaseous O2 are turned into LOX and LH2 in these mods? Do I need another converter (liquifier, in fact)? Is it included in CryoEngines/RealFuels/somewhere else? What about boil-off? I don't like to discover that my freshly liquified H2 turns into vapour and happily escapes to space... Appreciate your advice.

CryoTanks mod has boiloff support for Lqd. Hydrogen and Lqd. Methane. Stock Oxidizer does not boil off though.

There is patch in Kerbalism/Support, which adds "hydrogen liquefaction" and "lqd hydrogen evaporator" processes for ISRU converters, if CryoTanks is installed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love playing with this mod. I've got a question about Communication networks. I've got a ship in LKO with one Communotron 8 and one Communotron 16. There are two HKO relays overhead with the Line-of-sight to it. Both have HG-5 relay antenna extended. Here are the two weird things that I see: 

1) the two relays aren't linked in the comnet view, only linked to ground stations. 

2) The ship in LKO isn't either, and get out of contact when there is no ground station nearby. 

I think that something is missing with the relays, they are powered and functional, HG-5 extended, connected to the ground, but aren't really forming a network. The two issues about are probably the same.

Thanks,

Edited by Bongotastic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kerbalism 3.8 : maintenance release

For all KSP versions from 1.5.x to 1.9.x

Some bugfixes and mod compatibility updates :

  • Fix #635 : NaN propagation happening (usually) on SOI changes.
  • Fixed deployed science experiments giving the full science value on the first transmission event
  • Fix #620 : Allow DeepFreeze (and TACLS) compatibility by disabling their background processing difficulty setting
  • Fix #618 : Use the new Kopernicus 1.8+ MM variable for disabling the Kopernicus solar panel module
  • Fix #628 : Ground experiments does not work with "Science = false"
  • Fix #630 : (Bureaucracy support) Pass a very small positive number as science value when a subject is completed to preserve stock contract functionality.
  • Fix #625 : TestFlight no longer is hard coded to disable reliability, this is done via configuration instead
  • Fix #610 : Fixed BIRDIE experiment requirement so it can be done
  • Fix for TU support configs (LiOn)
  • Korean localization (Vannadin)
  • Reduced radiation damage on some equipments (solar panels, transmitters and antennas)
  • Remove engine failures if EngineIgnitor or PayToPlay is installed
On 5/9/2020 at 3:47 PM, lajoswinkler said:

Has Kerbol got a spherical heliopause now or is this some kind of error?

The sun always had that, it just had a different form in previous versions.

43 minutes ago, Bongotastic said:

Love playing with this mod. I've got a question about Communication networks. I've got a ship in LKO with one Communotron 8 and one Communotron 16. There are two HKO relays overhead with the Line-of-sight to it. Both have HG-5 relay antenna extended.

Kerbalism doesn't change the way the Communication network works, it just uses whatever link is provided to transmit science. There are a few gaps in ground station coverage in low orbit of Kerbin, to get around that you'll need a few relays in higher orbits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Sir Mortimer said:

Kerbalism doesn't change the way the Communication network works, it just uses whatever link is provided to transmit science. There are a few gaps in ground station coverage in low orbit of Kerbin, to get around that you'll need a few relays in higher orbits.

Thanks for your answer, and for the really cool mod. I can then discard the possibility that this is Kerbalism-related issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...