Jump to content

[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11


Sir Mortimer
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is a bit of a corner case, but has anyone figured out an easy way to do the "Science data from space around Kerbin" type missions? In the stock game I'd just send up a satellite with a thermometer or something, but I don't see a way to force an experiment to run if you've already gotten the data from that biome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LikeMyBread said:

This is a bit of a corner case, but has anyone figured out an easy way to do the "Science data from space around Kerbin" type missions? In the stock game I'd just send up a satellite with a thermometer or something, but I don't see a way to force an experiment to run if you've already gotten the data from that biome.

Call up the scipart kerbalism window, there will be a "force start" or "force run" (don't remember the exact words). That will cause the experiment to run regardless of whether data has been accumulated or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2020 at 5:41 AM, TranceaddicT said:

Call up the scipart kerbalism window, there will be a "force start" or "force run" (don't remember the exact words). That will cause the experiment to run regardless of whether data has been accumulated or not.

Anyone know of a way this can be done via kOS scripting?  I've worked out how to use the Action/Event names in the Experiment module to show the info window and activate the experiment, but if the science has previously been collected for that experiment then the experiment simply goes from "Stopped" to "Waiting".  If possible I'd like to trigger a force run via kOS code, but I can't find anywhere with a part's MODULE that I can call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2020 at 9:32 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Getting some weirdness with fuel cells while landed on Kerbin- I deployed some labs to get some long-term experiments done on Kerbin’s surface, with solar panels to power them during the day and fuel cells at night; the fuel cells didn’t work correctly even when they were set to automatically turn on in the dark or when power was low, resulting in repeated power loss and the labs not gaining science at the right speed.

At higher time-warp rates, Kerbalism stops modelling a proper day/night cycle and switches to "analytic mode". The solar panels receive an averaged amount of energy over the whole cycle and the shadow/sunlight automation won't trigger. I have seen it happening at 1000x and up, although it's supposed to trigger above ~6000x.

My biggest gripe in a current attempt at Kerbalism is that dump-valves don't keep their settings and a whole converter chain thus stops when switching to another vessel. I had to jiggle the decimal points in ISRU recipes a fair bit to produce fuel in a subjectively playable amount of time :)

 

Edited by HansAcker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Sir Mortimer. Recently downloaded Kerbalism along with JNSQ, Principia, and few other mods. Everything seems to function correctly, but I can't find a Kerbalism button in the toolbar. I can't find anything like this mentioned in other forum posts or bug reports, and have tried reinstalling Kerbalism, Toolbar, and its dependencies a few times, but still no luck.

Has anyone else had this problem? And is there a way you were able to fix it? Full list of mods here: qlReJTb.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a minor issue with the micrometeorite detector. I'm running RO/RP-1 and I have a probe with perpetual electricity and constant comm with KSC. My probe is in a highly elliptical orbit (200km x 73500km) so as to gather both space low and space high science. The micrometeorite detector gathered and transmitted all of the space high science, but the space low MMD science is stuck with 6.7 units showing "In Flight" but not transmitting. The probe shows no data awaiting transmission. 

I tried to force run the experiment but it doesn't gather anything else. Other probes can't gather any further MMD science from space low because it shows 7.0/7.0 and stays "waiting." In R&D it only shows that I've gathered 0.3 units.

Am I missing something?

ifVTYHv.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, LikeMyBread said:

Is there a way to set up automation from within the VAB? It seems odd to have to manually configure things like the solar panels and fuel cells from scratch with each launch.

Currently no. Most of us would love this feature but it doesn't exist at the moment. You'll need to run through your automation settings on the launch pad as part of your preflight checks.

I currently still tie my solar panels and antennas to action groups as well because sometimes I can't be bothered to set automation again, I'll manually control instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I discovered this mod 2 monthes ago and I absolutely love it!

Here is an early mun lander I've made. Tech 4 required only. Processes are Scrubber, Pressure control and O2+H2 Fuel. TWR is >6 on the Mun when full, 2852m/s of dV in vaccum, if your staging is good you can have 2700 left when landed, which allows to do 3 biomes like East Farside Crater/Canyons/Highlands before going back. Engine quality is high. There a minimal shielding, no engine or life support redundancy.

There is a probe for telemetry measurements and to give a minimal SAS Control if the kerbal onboard is a scientist or an engineer.

Only Restock is used here.

201011024306388873.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2020 at 5:12 PM, Poobix said:

Hey Sir Mortimer. Recently downloaded Kerbalism along with JNSQ, Principia, and few other mods. Everything seems to function correctly, but I can't find a Kerbalism button in the toolbar. I can't find anything like this mentioned in other forum posts or bug reports, and have tried reinstalling Kerbalism, Toolbar, and its dependencies a few times, but still no luck.

Has anyone else had this problem? And is there a way you were able to fix it? Full list of mods here: qlReJTb.png

I am having the same issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, traisjames said:

I am having the same issue.

Have you or @Poobix tried running with just kerbalism and it's dependencies? It would also help if you can attach a log file via Dropbox or something similar. However, I see you have something from Reposoftech. Is that Deepfreeze? If so, that may have compatibility issues with kerbalism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

I'm interested in using this mod, but I don't want the resource processing. Is there any way to make it run without messing with other mods' modules? Specifically, I want to use it with Dynamic Battery Storage, and I have configured all of the ECLSS processes to not use any EC to run for compatibility. Unfortunately it appears that it still modifies other modules even with "enforce coherency" off, and there's no way to make EC coherent like DBS does without using Kerbalism's custom PartModules. Is there any way that I could still use Kerbalism without having to edit the code and compile it?

(I guess I wanted to learn Unity for a while, but I really don't want to do that)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the 4.0 project tracker I see "Thermal control" in the wishlist. If something like this is implemented would it possibly affect kerbalisms mod compatability with Near future electric?

Quote
Near Future Electrical 1.0.0 Limited support Nuclear reactors are replaced with very OP Kerbalism processes : no heat management / no fuel transfer restrictions.

 

10 hours ago, GummiRevolution said:

Hi,

I'm interested in using this mod, but I don't want the resource processing. Is there any way to make it run without messing with other mods' modules? Specifically, I want to use it with Dynamic Battery Storage, and I have configured all of the ECLSS processes to not use any EC to run for compatibility. Unfortunately it appears that it still modifies other modules even with "enforce coherency" off, and there's no way to make EC coherent like DBS does without using Kerbalism's custom PartModules. Is there any way that I could still use Kerbalism without having to edit the code and compile it?

(I guess I wanted to learn Unity for a while, but I really don't want to do that)

There is a science only config you can download

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks! I guess what I really meant is:

-Does Kerbalism change other mods' PartModules?

-If I delete the NFE patch, will I get the default NFE behavior back, just without  background simulation?

Also, I have a question about radiation: Is it possible to edit the configs to make CMEs happen on the surface of bodies? And is there any "default" radiation outside of solar storms and radiation belts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While playing the game I came across part specifications and I am a bit surprised of the behaviour chosen in Kerbalism. Parts are

  • The Rhino engine : Powerful engine with an ISP of 340 in vacuum. Ignitions: 1 for standard quality, 2 for high quality
  • The Vector engine (the shuttle engines) : Powerful engines regarding their size, 295 ASL, 315 Vaccum. Ignitions: 1 for standard quality, 2 for high quality.

The Rhino engine is (in the spirit of the game and regarding the 340 ISP which is good) designed to build powerful big spaceship with OX+LF propulsion. 
The Vector engine is a RS-25 replica,  designed to be reused many times on the space shuttle.

The question I can't stop asking myself is why the number of ignitions are so low for these engines fegafobobos.gif ? 

I can understand these engines will never be as reliable as the Nerv of the Terrier ones but come on, don't you think something is a bit broken from the stock game ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

The question I can't stop asking myself is why the number of ignitions are so low for these engines 

Because Kerbalism uses a formula to determine the number of ignitions. Engines that perform well at both sea level and vacuum with high thrust only get one or two ignitions.
You could add MM patches to increase the "rated_ignitions" value. If the Rhino is based on the J-2X that would probably be four ignitions and 2000s "rated_operation_duration" (or *4?)

(tbh, I disabled engine reliability since the first time I tried Kerbalism and engines blew up just too often. that's been fixed, as far as I know, but I never went back. my engines fire all the time every time :) )

4 hours ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

designed to be reused many times on the space shuttle.

I didn't check, I admit, but "reused" does not also mean "restartable". An engineer can restore the number of available ignitions (unless the engine blew up), so reusing the Vector is possible in Kerbalism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...