[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

6 hours ago, seaces said:

The cell is set to run in VAB, per the cell numbers Oxygen consumption should be 0.507/s while if you look at the planner it is 0.536/s.

The planner show 0.536/m , not /s

6 hours ago, seaces said:

Hydrogen consumption should be 1.001/s, while the planner underestimates this massively and it reports consumption of only 0.014/s

The planner simulate the whole resource chain, and processes (like the fuel cell) output scale according to needs. Here the fuel cell is running at a small fraction of its 2.043 EC/s capacity, because you are only consuming 0.034 EC/s, that's why it consume less hydrogen/oxygen.

Edited by Gotmachine

You can toggle them on and leave them on, they will collect science if you are in a biome/situation they are designed for.  The major difference is that all the experiments now take time to collect.  So you have to stay in that location for 5 minutes to collect a mystery goo, or 3 days for a magnometer scan, etc... Its my single favorite part of Kerbalism, I really how the KSP 2 devs are paying attention. 

On 11/21/2020 at 1:00 PM, eberkain said:

You can toggle them on and leave them on, they will collect science if you are in a biome/situation they are designed for.  The major difference is that all the experiments now take time to collect.  So you have to stay in that location for 5 minutes to collect a mystery goo, or 3 days for a magnometer scan, etc... Its my single favorite part of Kerbalism, I really how the KSP 2 devs are paying attention. 

Thank you for the info

Edited by LadyAthena

Not sure what it is, but certain science contracts seem broken with this.

"Collect rare science from kerbins Waters" requires me to do an EVA, and crew report while landed at Kerbin Waters.

I've done this, it even shows it as complete in the contract window. I then return to base, end the mission, and it doesn't count, and says I haven't completed any of it yet.

Edit: Also is Connected Living Spaces still not compatible? Says it was broken back in 2018, but seeing as Kerbalism wants to be as realistic as possible, it would just make sense then to have Connected Living Spaces be compatible, as they go hand in hand for many things.

Edited by LadyAthena

1 hour ago, LadyAthena said:

Not sure what it is, but certain science contracts seem broken with this.

"Collect rare science from kerbins Waters" requires me to do an EVA, and crew report while landed at Kerbin Waters.

I've done this, it even shows it as complete in the contract window. I then return to base, end the mission, and it doesn't count, and says I haven't completed any of it yet.

Edit: Also is Connected Living Spaces still not compatible? Says it was broken back in 2018, but seeing as Kerbalism wants to be as realistic as possible, it would just make sense then to have Connected Living Spaces be compatible, as they go hand in hand for many things.

@LadyAthena, I haven't tried that particular contract in question, but generally have not had issues with science related contracts with Kerbalism.  Just wondering if you are also using KCT's VAB or SPH recovery as opposed to normal recovery?  I think there can be an issue in which the collected science stays with the vessel when used in that mode.

35 minutes ago, hemeac said:

@LadyAthena, I haven't tried that particular contract in question, but generally have not had issues with science related contracts with Kerbalism.  Just wondering if you are also using KCT's VAB or SPH recovery as opposed to normal recovery?  I think there can be an issue in which the collected science stays with the vessel when used in that mode.

I"m not using any mods that change recovery.

Looking at compatibility with the science parts in @akron's CoatlAerospace/ProbesPlus and @DMagic's Orbital Science: ProbesPlus includes a patch which converts many of its experiments into their Orbital Science equivalent, and Kerbalism then has a patch which converts Orbital Science experiments into Kerbalism ones. Most of that seems to work fine (although I wonder, should the dust collector be converted to the solar particle collector? don't know whether they're modelling the same thing), except for the orbital telescope.

The parts ca_telescope_a, ca_sciBoom, mer_rsp & ca_argo-mk4-cam get successfully converted to use the Orbital Science scopeScan experiment ID, but it's not then being intercepted by Kerbalism's Orbital Science patch to use Kerbalism's experiment system so just uses vanilla instead. Kerbalism's patches all basically use a level of ModuleManager wizardry that's way above my pay-grade, so I don't understand exactly what the issue is or how to fix it.

EDIT: Think the issue might be that the Kerbalism patch for Orbital Science is only intercepting parts that use the module DMModuleScienceAnimate whereas the ProbesPlus parts are using ModuleScienceExperiment? But I'm not sure I understand how the Kerbalism patches are working at all tbh

Edited by baldamundo

4 hours ago, LadyAthena said:

I"m not using any mods that change recovery.

oh --- this just occurred to me -- might this be an exploration contract that's looking for biomes/science conditions that no longer exist due to Kerbalism?  The fact that it *does* seem to complete but just not register upon recovery seems to not be a symptom of that.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, baldamundo said:

Looking at compatibility with the science parts in @akron's CoatlAerospace/ProbesPlus and @DMagic's Orbital Science: ProbesPlus includes a patch which converts many of its experiments into their Orbital Science equivalent, and Kerbalism then has a patch which converts Orbital Science experiments into Kerbalism ones. Most of that seems to work fine (although I wonder, should the dust collector be converted to the solar particle collector? don't know whether they're modelling the same thing), except for the orbital telescope.

The parts ca_telescope_a, ca_sciBoom, mer_rsp & ca_argo-mk4-cam get successfully converted to use the Orbital Science scopeScan experiment ID, but it's not then being intercepted by Kerbalism's Orbital Science patch to use Kerbalism's experiment system so just uses vanilla instead. Kerbalism's patches all basically use a level of ModuleManager wizardry that's way above my pay-grade, so I don't understand exactly what the issue is or how to fix it.

EDIT: Think the issue might be that the Kerbalism patch for Orbital Science is only intercepting parts that use the module DMModuleScienceAnimate whereas the ProbesPlus parts are using ModuleScienceExperiment? But I'm not sure I understand how the Kerbalism patches are working at all tbh

@baldamundo I have a Coatl Aerospace patch for Kerbalism science experiments in my tech tree mod that may be worth checking out.  I worked on it with DMagic Orbital Science, and think I got all of the idiosyncrasies worked out.  I haven't tested it with BDB which I think modifies some of the science experiments.  I also have not tested it outside the tech tree, but it "should" work (just that I will only provide any support if used in conjunction with the tree).  You can find the config here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hemeac/kiwiTechTree/master/GameData/KiwiTechTree/Configurations/Mods/Coatl Aerospace/CoatlAerospace_KerbalismScience.cfg

2 minutes ago, hemeac said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@baldamundo I have a Coatl Aerospace patch for Kerbalism science experiments in my tech tree mod that may be worth checking out.  I worked on it with DMagic Orbital Science, and think I got all of the idiosyncrasies worked out.  I haven't tested it with BDB which I think modifies some of the science experiments.  I also have not tested it outside the tech tree, but it "should" work (just that I will only provide any support if used in conjunction with the tree).  You can find the config here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hemeac/kiwiTechTree/master/GameData/KiwiTechTree/Configurations/Mods/Coatl Aerospace/CoatlAerospace_KerbalismScience.cfg

Thanks very much! Should save me a lot of hassle. Does it only cover experiments, or does it cover e.g. probe core HDD capacity as well?

If anyone has a similar patch for Tantares Space Probes do let me know!

4 minutes ago, baldamundo said:

Thanks very much! Should save me a lot of hassle. Does it only cover experiments, or does it cover e.g. probe core HDD capacity as well?
If anyone has a similar patch for Tantares Space Probes do let me know!

It may be just good for you to browse through: https://github.com/hemeac/kiwiTechTree/tree/master/GameData/KiwiTechTree/Configurations/Mods/Coatl Aerospace

The HDD patch should cover all of the probes, it should be fairly explanatory if you want to rebalance them.  I am currently working on Tantares, that should be ideally done in a week or two.  If I hear good feedback about these experiments and Kerbalism 4 hasn't been released, I will submit them to the developers, but haven't done enough playtesting yet on them to know how well balanced they are with the base Kerbalism experiments.

20 minutes ago, hemeac said:

It may be just good for you to browse through: https://github.com/hemeac/kiwiTechTree/tree/master/GameData/KiwiTechTree/Configurations/Mods/Coatl Aerospace

The HDD patch should cover all of the probes, it should be fairly explanatory if you want to rebalance them.  I am currently working on Tantares, that should be ideally done in a week or two.  If I hear good feedback about these experiments and Kerbalism 4 hasn't been released, I will submit them to the developers, but haven't done enough playtesting yet on them to know how well balanced they are with the base Kerbalism experiments.

Woof! That's some seriously impressive mod support you've done there. Have pilfered a whole pile of patches. Very tempted to try out your tech tree now (is it safe to switch trees mid-career?)

1 minute ago, baldamundo said:

Woof! That's some seriously impressive mod support you've done there. Have pilfered a whole pile of patches. Very tempted to try out your tech tree now (is it safe to switch trees mid-career?)

Even with the patches, you will want to backup. I would suggest not trying a mid save change in the entire tree though unless you are pretty comfortable with editing your save file.

So I have been reading the wiki and I like the sound of most of this.  However the critical failures part doesn't sound to fun to me.   The wiki said that there was a "CriticalChance" modifier in the settings.cfg that could be turned off.   However it doesn't appear to be there anymore.  Has this been removed?  Or can I add it back to the setting.cfg file and it will work as intended?  To be clear I just want to turn off the critical failures and not the Reliability function as a whole.

1 hour ago, Drago6667 said:

The wiki said that there was a "CriticalChance" modifier in the settings.cfg that could be turned off.   However it doesn't appear to be there anymore. 

It's in a game's difficulty settings under the Kerbalism tab.

30 minutes ago, HansAcker said:

It's in a game's difficulty settings under the Kerbalism tab.

Huh so it is.  Must say I am kinda surprised by that.  Most mods only use the config file for that kind of thing.  Thanks for telling me,  as I don't think that I would have thought to look there.

5 hours ago, Drago6667 said:

Huh so it is.  Must say I am kinda surprised by that.  Most mods only use the config file for that kind of thing.  Thanks for telling me,  as I don't think that I would have thought to look there.

Kerbalism can be pretty unforgiving in some of the challenge aspects, but totally forgiving in the --- "just turn them off if you don't wan them" way.  :)  Just using the science mode is totally fun, too. 

7 hours ago, Glassius said:

I was searching for stock commentary after experiments are completed. I enjoy them quite a lot, but I was unable to find any. Are they available in Kerbalism?

yes, they show up in the notifications when the full science data is transmitted. I prefer to switch the settings to stock notifcations and then use One Window, since that records what pops up on the screen. That way I can also export them if I want

So to update on my problem concerning contracts, it's becoming more strange.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/d154d11360754876

In the first image you can see I clearly have "Kerbin Grassland Soil Samples" Landed.

The contract clearly asks for that, yet its not flagging as complete.

Oddly enough, the Shores one worked when I did it on the Runway of KSC.... It's the only one I have completed

My only theory is that Samples in Sample containers don't count, or aren't getting counted for samples during Science. The only completed one is the one which is taking up the 1 sample slot in the cockpit. While the others are in a sample container elsewhere on the ship.

11 minutes ago, LadyAthena said:

So to update on my problem concerning contracts, it's becoming more strange.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/d154d11360754876

In the first image you can see I clearly have "Kerbin Grassland Soil Samples" Landed.

The contract clearly asks for that, yet its not flagging as complete.

Oddly enough, the Shores one worked when I did it on the Runway of KSC.... It's the only one I have completed

My only theory is that Samples in Sample containers don't count, or aren't getting counted for samples during Science. The only completed one is the one which is taking up the 1 sample slot in the cockpit. While the others are in a sample container elsewhere on the ship.

ooo. that's interesting. Like maybe the contract system itself isn't fully aware of the sample containers? Those are stock contracts?

2 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

ooo. that's interesting. Like maybe the contract system itself isn't fully aware of the sample containers? Those are stock contracts?

Now that I looked closer, it looks like it took the sample from my ship immediately since I was parked on the runway.

I'm heading back and landing to see if it changes it.

That's still a problem though because if I "recover vessel" like this, it doesn't count. I have no idea why its only planes built doing this. I don't have this issue with normal rockets. (I've recovered multiple biome soil samples from Mun and Minmus)