Jump to content

[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11


Sir Mortimer
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, frozenbinary said:

So I'm not sure if is this an actual problem but I've been having problems with Community Tech Tree, Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes and Kerbalism.

So, as you may know, some Kerbalism stuff is unlocked from some CTT nodes.  However, some of these nodes don't have any parts that are locked behind these researches.  
https://imgur.com/a/bsnzLpM
This leads to situations like this where there are Kerbalism things to unlock, but no actual parts.  Hide Empty Tech Nodes doesn't see that and removes the node anyway, locking you out from unlocking pretty important things like CO2 scrubbers.

I also posted this on Hide Empty Tech Tree Node's thread.

I never realized this, Kerbalism might should flag it as a conflict on CKAN as a temporary fix.

Edited by eberkain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Cruesoe said:

Kerbalism is used by many people so clearly the Mod works, so lets skip that bit.

Please can you share a screenshot of your game data folder. as well as the information requested by eberkain as suggested above.

Also let us know if you added this to a clean install or on top of a game in progress.

It's working!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, eberkain said:

It looks to give me the full value from the light arm.  I'm thinking this might be intended?

This is semi-intended, as in we talked about it at some point and concluded, "nah, good enough".
Due to a bunch of complicated reasons, the stock "can't collect more than X% of the science value" thing is incompatible with what we are doing (collecting science over time).
We could probably code a workaround for the scanner arms, but this is quite a bit of work for not much added value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for the quick response as always. :)  

I have another question.  I want to use the KerbalGPS mod but it does not appear to work with kerbalism.  Its just a single part that has an energy drain.  Let me go get the config...  Ok, I see now, it is using a custom module which is implementing the energy drain.  

Spoiler
PART
{
	name = FigaroTransmitter
	module = Part
	author = PakledHostage | MrPwner

	mesh = FigaroTransmitter.mu
	rescaleFactor = 0.23

	node_stack = 0, -0.02, 0, 0, -1.0, 0, 0
	node_attach = 0, -0.02, 0, 0, -1.0, 0, 0

	attachRules = 1,1,1,0,0

	TechRequired = electronics
	entryCost = 10000
	cost = 900
	category = Communication
	subcategory = 0
	title = #KerbalGPS_Part_title2//Figaro GNSS Transmitter
	manufacturer = #KerbalGPS_Part_manuf//Procyon Innovations
	description = #KerbalGPS_Part_desc2//Now every satellite in your GNSS constellation requires a transmitter. Add the Figaro transmitter part to dedicated GNSS satellites, or to multi-purpose satellites.

	// --- standard part parameters ---
	mass = 0.20
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.2
	minimum_drag = 0.2
	angularDrag = 1
	crashTolerance = 15
	maxTemp = 2000


	PhysicsSignificance = 1
	bulkheadProfiles = size0, srf
	tags = GPS aerial antenna radio signal transmi


	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGPSTransmitter
		gpsRange = 2500000
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 0.05
		}
	}
}

 

Is there a Kerbalism module that could be added to make the energy drain work in the background and planner?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey !

Having a lot of fun with kerbalism for month now ! Thank very much for this wonderfull add on ;)

I have a suggestion and a question :

As suggestion, I found pretty counter intuitive that when we right click on the icons in the kerbalism windows (Probe,Crew,Relay...) it don't hide every other icons than the one we are clicking on. Like in stock in the Tracking station. So if I want hide every other vessels than probe, I have to click one by one on every other icons to hide them. If I'm not missing something ^^

Also,  I would like to add ullage without completely break kerbalism. I see some mods like Real fuel stock or Engine reignited which can do it.  Is there one known to not work too bad with kerbalism ?

Thank you !

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Carni35 said:

Also,  I would like to add ullage without completely break kerbalism. I see some mods like Real fuel stock or Engine reignited which can do it.  Is there one known to not work too bad with kerbalism ?

Thank you !

 

Engine ignitor certainly works with Kerbalism. The only problem is that it disables engine reliability if installed. I’ve got a PR on the Kerbalism GitHub to kind of fix that, since KiwiTechTree uses both engine ignitor and Kerbalism. You could update the patch manually, leaving out the kiwitechtree part if you don’t have it, or just wait for the PR to be merged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2020 at 12:32 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Getting some weirdness with fuel cells while landed on Kerbin- I deployed some labs to get some long-term experiments done on Kerbin’s surface, with solar panels to power them during the day and fuel cells at night; the fuel cells didn’t work correctly even when they were set to automatically turn on in the dark or when power was low, resulting in repeated power loss and the labs not gaining science at the right speed. They also seemed to barely trickle up when using time warp (a few minutes per game day) and ultimately I abandoned the idea when installing Community Tech Tree fouled up a lot of experiment unlocks and deleted some vessels’ onboard experiments.

 So having to figure this out for myself recently; you need to give the fuel cells Hydrogen and Oxygen (not the stock Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer), those can be had in Kerbalism mini-tanks, which last quite a while. One gripe I have is that you need somewhere between 1 and 2x the amount of Oxy tanks, which I suppose stems from the molar mass of the gasses and their density and yadda yadda. Dang kerbalism realism. Oh and don't forget to pack extra Nitrogen to refill the capsule after your EVAs!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did I read something somewhere that the power low/high  auto triggers are going away in a future version? 

Maybe its a side effect of the science system having a larger power drain, but I feel like there should maybe be a battery patch for when you play in an upscaled system?

For a relatively tame experiment that draws 1.5/s EC, one solar panel array would do it nicely. But in high orbit of something like Jool in JNSQ (1h 18m dark time) that is 6480 EC to make an orbit.    You end up with probes that are mainly batteries.  Just high orbit of Minmus is 38m, which still equates to a crap ton of batteries. 

I'm thinking the best bet would be to just not run experiments in shadow?  Which takes me back to my initial question. 

Edited by eberkain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So am I blind or is there a way to turn off the Log tab in Kerbalism? My kerbalism has Info, Data, Auto, Failures, And CFG...  no LOG anymore on my install.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mr5rk6hh8xg1no0/12-20.JPG?dl=0

I can see in Eberkain's image that he still has LOG in there... 

On 11/29/2020 at 9:03 PM, eberkain said:

dRV6MaZ.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

So am I blind or is there a way to turn off the Log tab in Kerbalism? My kerbalism has Info, Data, Auto, Failures, And CFG...  no LOG anymore on my install.

hey I noticed that recently too, and I have no idea what happened to it either! Been waiting for it to pop back up maybe it's contextual but so far no sign of it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there an issue with Kerbalism and medium-high time warp speeds?

I ask this because when I engage time warp above the 5th level, my solar panes stop charging and the battery levels begin dropping, even being at 100% sun exposure... As soon as i decrease time warp to between real-time (1x) up to the 4th level, the batteries start charging again... This is a serious issue, especially since I play RSS/RO/RP1 and doing everything at low warp speeds takes forever...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mateusviccari said:

Is there an issue with Kerbalism and medium-high time warp speeds?

At higher time-warp rates, Kerbalism stops modelling a proper day/night cycle and switches to "analytic mode". The solar panels receive an averaged amount of energy over the whole cycle and the shadow/sunlight automation won't trigger. I have seen it happening at 1000x and up, although it's supposed to trigger above ~6000x. (yeah, copy&pasting my own comment :)

2 hours ago, mateusviccari said:

This is a serious issue, especially since I play RSS/RO/RP1 and doing everything at low warp speeds takes forever...

Well, it is a realism mod ;)

I don't have a good solution, either. I limit myself to 1000x time-warp. Some things still go wonky at that rate but they're manageable. Even higher rates attract solar storms and increased part failures but that might just be my imagination.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like the way how Kerbalism adds life support considerations and modifies the science collection. 

That being said, I'm really confused about the scientific value of the long term experiments. Take, for example, R.E.L.A.X.

You need a Lab with the experiment module, which alone weighs 8 tons. The base needs to support two Kerbals, which means a sizeable chunk of batteries to survive the night, and a lot of solar panels, as the experiment eats 50 EC/s. You also consume 10 tons of ore, which you either have to bring along, or you need to a drill and a biome that actually contains a decent amount. The Kerbals need a substantial supply to survive a couple hundred days the experiment takes (multiply that by two because no amount of batteries lets you run the experiment around the clock). Plus, with the default setting of 80% shielding efficiency you need to do a crew rotation for the guys to even survive the experiment. Mid-career, you probably didn't fully upgrade VAB or Launch pad twice, and the limits on vessel size, weight and part count means it's multiple launches. This further complicates things, because you either need to design everything to be assembled in orbit, or you need to a fairly precise landing and fiddle with KAS

You're doing all these launches, put in tremendous amount of funds, need to unlock a fair amount of tech ... and on Guardian (which I believe has the same Science multiplier as Mun) you receive just 100 Science over the course of a year. 

Compare that to sending a light return mission . You can easily do that on level 1 VAB and Launch pad with not too much tech. Without bringing any scientific experiments, doing EVA report, Crew Report and Surface Sample nets you 120 Science in a couple minutes. A couple hundred kilogram beacon filled to the brim with science payload can do even more. 

Don't get me wrong, I liked assembling my little surface outpost, and I plan on extending it. I just wish I was rewarded more compared to just grinding the same old lander to the 8th biome on the same body. Which I still did, but there's no way I'm setting up R.E.L.A.X. in all those biomes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Majk said:

I really like the way how Kerbalism adds life support considerations and modifies the science collection. 

That being said, I'm really confused about the scientific value of the long term experiments. Take, for example, R.E.L.A.X.

You need a Lab with the experiment module, which alone weighs 8 tons. The base needs to support two Kerbals, which means a sizeable chunk of batteries to survive the night, and a lot of solar panels, as the experiment eats 50 EC/s. You also consume 10 tons of ore, which you either have to bring along, or you need to a drill and a biome that actually contains a decent amount. The Kerbals need a substantial supply to survive a couple hundred days the experiment takes (multiply that by two because no amount of batteries lets you run the experiment around the clock). Plus, with the default setting of 80% shielding efficiency you need to do a crew rotation for the guys to even survive the experiment. Mid-career, you probably didn't fully upgrade VAB or Launch pad twice, and the limits on vessel size, weight and part count means it's multiple launches. This further complicates things, because you either need to design everything to be assembled in orbit, or you need to a fairly precise landing and fiddle with KAS

You're doing all these launches, put in tremendous amount of funds, need to unlock a fair amount of tech ... and on Guardian (which I believe has the same Science multiplier as Mun) you receive just 100 Science over the course of a year. 

Compare that to sending a light return mission . You can easily do that on level 1 VAB and Launch pad with not too much tech. Without bringing any scientific experiments, doing EVA report, Crew Report and Surface Sample nets you 120 Science in a couple minutes. A couple hundred kilogram beacon filled to the brim with science payload can do even more. 

Don't get me wrong, I liked assembling my little surface outpost, and I plan on extending it. I just wish I was rewarded more compared to just grinding the same old lander to the 8th biome on the same body. Which I still did, but there's no way I'm setting up R.E.L.A.X. in all those biomes.

Look closer at the TRAPPED experiment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So first of all I want to say that I'm really enjoying this mod but I'm having a slight issue with it, specifically the data storage upgrades.
I was expecting to purchase the upgrade in the tech tree and get more data on my probes but there was no change. I did a quick search and found a few things that mentioned similar things but didn't see a solution until I found this 

Unfortunately I've tried this and it didn't seem to have any effect so I'm wondering if there's another way to make the probe's data capacity increase when I purchase the upgrade?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Sir Mortimerthanks for a great mod.  I finally made the switch from TACLS to something more challenging.

I've been using it for a little while now but have run into a problem and wondering if you might be missing something.  It's to do with pressurization of some modules.

It appears as though when I try to outfit a component with a pressurization module, nothing changes in the Kerbalism tab to show that it is working and pressurized.  If I start with a part that I can't get pressurization to work then add a part where pressurization works then it still says everything is working but if I revert back to using one module where pressurization never worked in the first place then I can't get pressurization again...I hope you're confused by my explanation because i am.  I've added a short clip to show whats happening.  Wondering if you can take a look and figure it out.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jebalicious said:

with a pressurization module, nothing changes

@jebalicious, hello there!

Ksm planner works 100% right on your video. It calcualtes every process capabilites taking available consumed resources amount. The first two parts have no batteries so the planner sees that pressure control can't be run. I usually add some nominal EC storage when I need to get some numbers from the planner and the current state of designed craft needs to "progress" before adding actual storage.

Edited by DarthPointer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i just managed to install kerbalism, and i'm looking forward to use it. however, there are a lot of things that aren't particularly well explained and i would like to figure out. For example

- I open a part, and i read MTBF, followed by a time. I assume that's related to reliability over time, but how exactly? does it break after that time? can it break before that time?

- radiation rating: does the part break authomatically if subjected to more radiation than this? or does it just have a higher chance?

- food, oxygen, water; how much does a kerbal need?

- life support has slots, what does it mean?

- liquid engine has rated ignitions; what happens if you try to turn it on more times than that? does the failure chance just get higher, or what?

- on the same engine, it is written: redundancy: propulsion. does it just mean that if it does not work i need a redundant propulsion system, or it has a deeper meaning?

 

basically, i would need some kind of instructions. but i can't find anything related to kerbalism because there are just so many references to it. can anyone point me in the right direction?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...