[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

On 3/2/2020 at 6:46 PM, musubk said:

Question: I'm trying to run the BIRDIE laboratory experiment on Kerbin, and it keeps telling me I'm missing a resource.

yup, that would be an error in the experiment configuration. Please see here for the workaround.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:51 PM, Varses said:

Ok, so I've been struggling with making a .cfg patch for the last couple hours but I'm kinda confused about adding reliability modules to engines, especially multi-mode engines.

Multi-Mode engines are probably not going to work well with the Kerbalism failure part module. It's fairly limited in what it can do (see here) and not designed to handle complex types. You might want to look into other part failure mods (and disable Kerbalism's own failures), not sure if DangIt! or OhScrap can do it, but those are mods dedicated to part failures and might be able to do a better job.

11 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

1) when I use Kerbalism go to vessel in orbit button from the Kerbalism list, it breaks EVE/Scatter. May be some event not fired properly....

Can't confirm nor deny - I don't run EVE and/or Scatterer (potato computer).

Do you get the same behaviour when you use other non-stock means of switching vessels (like KAC)?

11 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

2) Kerbalism allows EVA samples at level 2 of Research facility, even if EVA samples moved to higher tiers of building level (Custom Barn Kit does this in my case, config comes from Bureaucracy), maybe it is worth to do additional checks.

Interesting, I didn't know that. In that case the science configuration needs to be patched when Bureaucacy is installed. I just added that to the bug tracker.

3 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

Can't confirm nor deny - I don't run EVE and/or Scatterer (potato computer).

Do you get the same behaviour when you use other non-stock means of switching vessels (like KAC)?

Tested KAC and Haystack - when jumping to vessel right from KSC scene, EVE get borked. Guess it is on EVE side then....

Can anybody explain me in detail how the radiation and radiation belts work? I see them by pressing 1/2/3 but don´t understand what are the differences between them and how should I approach them in a mission. Thanks and just downloaded this mod I am loving the science overhaul.

2 minutes ago, Agustin said:

Can anybody explain me in detail how the radiation and radiation belts work? I see them by pressing 1/2/3 but don´t understand what are the differences between them and how should I approach them in a mission. Thanks and just downloaded this mod I am loving the science overhaul.

You can see all of them at once if press numpad 0

You can figure exact numbers for radiation levels by launching probe with Geiger sensor (even integrated to probe body). 

You know, to do the real rocket science.

Also, if you read the science description for Geiger, you'll figure it out what are those.

@Sir Mortimer, by the way, is there's any way to rebind or at least unbind numpad 1/2/3 keys, as those are used in Precise Maneuver mode to adjust maneuver node time?

although... description only says: "measure environment radiation"
I quite don´t understand which are the safest to dangerous areas in relation to each other...? I am reading from wikipedia but still don´t understand fully.

Just now, Agustin said:

although... description only says: "measure environment radiation"
I quite don´t understand which are the safest to dangerous areas in relation to each other...? I am reading from wikipedia but still don´t understand fully.

Right click on Geiger in editor - and you'll see all situation it can be used in (like inner belt, outer belt, etc.). Then just make a rocket with geiger and launch it straight up and see the geiger measurement while traveling through the belts. It's way better to see by yourself. But basically, radiation is deflected by and condensed in belts. 

1 hour ago, evileye.x said:

Does it mean - CLS will be supported in Kerbalism? Or at least, nothing wrong will happen if I add it to install?

There has been CLS support code in Kerbalism for a very long time (I wonder why it's not mentioned on their OP), but the current development version does not have it any more as the mod appeared to be dead.

Maybe it will be added again, but generally speaking we have to be conservative about adding dependencies to other mods, even soft dependencies. Kerbalisms code base is currently at ~47.000 lines of code (for comparison: CLS has ~4.000), which is large already. Adding dependencies would add maintenance work on top of that.

You also have to consider that CLS is essentially just putting restrictions on how you can build your rocket, requiring crew parts to be connected to crew parts.  I stopped using it long ago because I am going to do that anyhow and less mods means less bugs. 

Does Kerbalism influence type of missions which are offered to me in Career mode?

It seems like game is stuck. I landed on Mun and Minmus, i finished other science missions on both planets, i made big progress in tech tree, so i should be already recieving Duna missions. But no Duna missions.. still only Mun and Minmus

I already opened space exploring modules, like greenhouse, hitchhikers modules, etc.

Edited by papuchalk

8 hours ago, papuchalk said:

Does Kerbalism influence type of missions which are offered to me in Career mode?

I think it disables the stock survey contracts (take measurement over location X below altitude Y contracts), but nothing else.

I think stock KSP offers only one "progression type" contract at any point (Return to Kerbin from orbit of X), maybe you still have one open?

In mid-game I usually go to places that have launch windows available, and pick up the matching contracts later if I get them.

On 3/6/2020 at 10:43 PM, Sir Mortimer said:

I think it disables the stock survey contracts (take measurement over location X below altitude Y contracts), but nothing else.

I think stock KSP offers only one "progression type" contract at any point (Return to Kerbin from orbit of X), maybe you still have one open?

In mid-game I usually go to places that have launch windows available, and pick up the matching contracts later if I get them.

i dont know whats wrong, i had one mission opened which seemed like progression type - dock around Kerbin. But i finished it , and still no progress in game.

Instead, in available missions I recieved another potential progression mission - dock around Mun. But i had not accepted it yet, and it is weird that this mission cannot be declined.. red cross button is greyed out..

i have not encountered such weird behavior of ksp before. I am stuck

list of my active missions

oVSxOXn.png

On 2/26/2020 at 3:24 PM, garwel said:

What I've done so far in my own install is just edited the Default.cfg by removing all references to radiation, shielding and stress (+ making a couple edits in Settings.cfg). I know it's bad practice, but simply adding another profile to the Profiles folder messes things up (e.g. resources and modules disappear from parts, because they require default profile).

So far I hesitate to create a completely new config, because it'll require more support in the future, which I'm not sure I can provide. Perhaps, as step 1 I will just publish the modified default profile and see if there is demand for something more.

If you can hold back for a while, we'll probably be able to have MM-Patches for Kerablism profiles.

the Atmospheric Fluid Spectro-Variometer part mass is 200kg but when you add the AFSV science experiment it adds another 200kg to the part. Is this intended? Or was the part supposed to be modified to have a lighter base mass (the casing) upon which the science instrument mass is added?

On 3/5/2020 at 11:52 AM, eberkain said:

You also have to consider that CLS is essentially just putting restrictions on how you can build your rocket, requiring crew parts to be connected to crew parts. 

Yeah, but with CLS's working airlocks and compartmentalization and Kerbalism's pressure control and failure mechanics there's a new and exciting gameplay opportunity, especially on long duration interplanetary flights. Kerbalism should grab such opportunities IMO. I mean, if someone already did half the work, right? I know it's easier said than done, especially by someone who can't contribute due to lack of skill but you know...

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

On 3/6/2020 at 10:43 PM, Sir Mortimer said:

That is actually the one gripe I have with Kerbalism. Awesome mod that should absolutely be part of stock KSP, but removing what is IMO the number one reason to go places in KSP is just... disappointing.

I get why it has been done, but I really wish there was another way to get around the issues with two conflicting science systems.

Hello, everyone. I'm a RO/RP-1 player and my inflatable parts don't work properly after I installed Kerbalism via ckan. The inflate/deflate button is disappeared from the right-click menu. Is this a bug or it was designed like this?

I can't transmit science at all. It says "max transmission rate none" even if I have a working antenna that's in range, plenty of electric charge and data to transmit. It gets flagged for transmission automatically but no matter what I do, it's not transmitting. Don't know if this is a bug or what, I do have a bunch of other mods installed but they should all be compatible so I don't know if I should submit a bug report or if this is a simple issue and I just have menu blindness. 

Is there a way to modify the chemical plant? Currently, the Sabatier Process produces water and LiquidFuel. Water Electrolysis produces Hydrogen and Oxygen. So, no Oxidizer. I would like to use it for Methalox Engines, which use Methane and Oxidizer. So completely the other way around ;)

EDIT: So apparently, i don't need Methane, but LqdMethane. I guess the best way would be another part/config that takes in EC and Methane and outputs LiquidFuel or LqdMethane. And another one that takes in EC and Oxygen and produces Oxidizer.

Edited by infinite_monkey

I was looking to make some custom engine configs for BDB- most of the engines have the same rated burn times and ignition #s, and I've had some issues with engines failing reliably well short of the rated times- but I really don't know where to begin. Could somebody point me in the right direction? Is it more or less just text file editing, or do I actually need to know how to code? If it's a relatively simple process, much of the research has already been done by the RO crew, so I could probably source most of my numbers from them.

14 hours ago, Corax said:

That is actually the one gripe I have with Kerbalism. Awesome mod that should absolutely be part of stock KSP, but removing what is IMO the number one reason to go places in KSP is just... disappointing.

I get why it has been done, but I really wish there was another way to get around the issues with two conflicting science systems.

What you need is another reason to go places, then? My suggestion: install ContractConfigurator and the Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor contract pack (ignore the max. version on the contract pack, it works fine)

3 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

What you need is another reason to go places, then? My suggestion: install ContractConfigurator and the Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor contract pack (ignore the max. version on the contract pack, it works fine)

I have been debating it, but I remember having had nothing but weird issues with Contract Configurator in the past; considering it isn't updated for 1.9, with issues being reported (I may be wrong, but to me it looks like it's more or less in suspended animation), I'm not especially keen on that.

EDIT:

Also, on reading up on that specific contract pack, it seems very restricted compared to the stock survey missions, in that it only sends you to the (limited number of) various anomalies, whereas stock contracts generate points of interest on the fly, basically unlimited. Which, as a bonus, let you discover at least some of the anomalies yourself.

Edited by Corax

4 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

The wiki should perhaps have a section on contract packs and which ones are recommended to use with Kerbalism. 

I wonder if the survey contracts really have to be disabled. Of course you don't get instant science anymore, but for example the "transmit science from orbit" type contracts still work, it just takes a bit of time. For the surveys, it could just mean you'd have to loiter in the target area for a while, which would make the contract more difficult, but maybe still possible to complete...

Is there a way to manually re-enable the survey contracts? I'd be willing to fly a few test missions.