[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

banner.png

Welcome to Kerbalism

Hundreds of Kerbals were killed in the making of this mod.

Kerbalism is a mod for Kerbal Space Program that alters the game to add life support, radiation, failures and an entirely new way of doing science.

Go beyond the routine of orbital mechanics and experience the full set of engineering challenges that space has to offer. All mechanics can be configured to some degree, or even disabled if you don't like some of them. A big part of the mod is fully data-driven, so that you can create your own customized game play with only a text editor and a minimal amount of espresso. Or simply use a set of rules shared by other users.

Frequently Asked Questions: FAQ

Current version: 3.11

What's new: New and Noteworthy
Download: Github - SpaceDockCKAN
Docs & support: Github wiki - Discord - Github issues
License: Unlicense (unless stated otherwise, parts might be licensed differently)  
KSP version: 1.5.x - 1.10.x  
Requires: Module Manager, CommunityResourcePack  
See also: Mod compatibility - Change Log - Dev Builds

Download and installation

Download on Github releases or use CKAN

Two packages are available:

Kerbalism is the core plugin, always required.
KerbalismConfig is the default configuration pack.
It can be be replaced by other packs distributed elsewhere.

Requirements

- Module Manager: must be installed in GameData
CommunityResourcePack: must be installed in GameData

Third-party configuration packs

Make sure to install exactly one configuration pack only.
Don't combine packs unless there is explicit instructions to do so.
- ROKerbalism for Realism Overhaul / RP-1 by standecco
- SIMPLEX Living by theJesuit
- KerbalismScienceOnly for Kerbalism with the science feature only

Installation checklist for the "GameData" folder required content : 

- CommunityResourcePack (folder)
- Kerbalism (folder)
- KerbalismConfig (folder, can be replaced by a third-party config pack)
- ModuleManager.X.X.X.dll (file)

Mod compatibility and support

Checking the mod compatibility page is mandatory before installing Kerbalism on a heavily modded game.

Kerbalism does very custom stuff. This can break other mods. For a lot of mods that breaks or need balancing, we provide support code and configuration patches. However some mods are incompatible because there is too much feature overlap or support is too complex to implement.

Documentation, help and bug-reporting

- Tutorials and documentation are available at the Github wiki

- Need help?

Ask on Discord or in the KSP forums thread

- You found a bug?
  - Maybe it's related to another mod ? Check the Mod Compatibility page.
  - Maybe it's a known issue ? Check the GitHub issues and ask on Discord.

- You want to report a bug?
  - Reproduce it consistently, provide us with screenshots and the KSP.log, modulemanager.configcache and persistent.sfs files.
  - Report it on Github issues (preferred) or in the KSP forums thread.

- You want to contribute or add support for your mod?
  - Check the technical guide on the wiki
  - Pull requests are welcome, especially for mod support configs. For code contributions, it is recommended to talk to us on Discord before engaging anything.
  - Read the contributing documentation
  - To build the plugin from the source code, read the BuildSystem documentation

Disclaimer and license

This mod is released under the Unlicense, which mean it's in the public domain. Some parts are released under a different license, please refer to their respective LICENSE files.

It includes MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the Internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the Internet and no personal information is sent. For more control, download the full KSP-AVC Plugin.

What does it do? 

Kerbalism is a mod for Kerbal Space Program that alters the game to add life support, radiation, failures and an entirely new way of doing science.

Go beyond the routine of orbital mechanics and experience the full set of engineering challenges that space has to offer. All mechanics can be configured to some degree, or even disabled if you don't like some of them. A big part of the mod is fully data-driven, so that you can create your own customized game play with only a text editor and a minimal amount of espresso. Or simply use a set of rules shared by other users.

All vessels, all the time

Contrary to popular belief, the observable universe is not a sphere of a 3km radius centered around the active vessel. All mechanics are simulated for loaded and unloaded vessels alike, without exception. Acceptable performance was obtained by a mix of smart approximations and common sense. The performance impact on the game is by and large independent from the number of vessels.

Resources

This isn't your classic post-facto resource simulation. Consumption and production work is coherent regardless of warp speed or storage capacity. Complex chains of transformations that you build for long-term life support or mining bases just work.

Environment

The environment of space is modeled in a simple yet effective way. Temperature is calculated using the direct solar flux, the indirect solar flux bouncing off from celestial bodies, and the radiative infrared cooling off their surfaces.

The simulation of the latter is especially interesting and able to reproduce good results for worlds with and without atmosphere. Radiation is implemented using an overlapping hierarchy of 3D zones, modeled and rendered using signed distance fields. These are used to simulate inner and outer belts, magnetosphere and even the heliopause. Solar weather is represented by Coronal Mass Ejection events, that happen sporadically, increase radiation and cause communication blackouts.

Habitats

The habitats of vessels are modeled in terms of internal volume, external surface, and a set of dedicated pseudo resources. These elements are then used to calculate such things as: living space per-capita, the pressure, CO2 and humidity levels of the internal atmosphere, and radiation shielding. Individual habitats can be enabled or disabled, in the editor and in flight, to reconfigure the internal space and everything associated with it during the mission. Inflatable habitats are driven directly by the part pressure.

Life support

Your crew need a constant intake of Food, Water and Oxygen. Failure to provide for these needs will result in unceremonious death. Configurable supply containers are provided.

Kerbals evolved in particular conditions of temperature, and at a very low level of radiation. You should reproduce these conditions wherever your crew go, no matter the external temperature or radiation at that point. Or else death ensues. The vessel habitat can be climatized at the expense of ElectricCharge. Environment radiation can be shielded by applying material layers to the hull, with obvious longevity vs mass trade off.

Psychological needs

The era of tin can interplanetary travel is over. Your crew need some living space, however minimal. Failure to provide enough living space will result in unforeseen events in the vessel, the kind that happen when operators lose concentration. While not fatal directly, they often lead to fatal consequences later on. Some basic comforts can be provided to delay the inevitable mental breakdown. Nothing fancy, just things like windows to look out, antennas to call back home, or gravity rings to generate artificial gravity. Finally, recent research points out that living in a pressurized environment is vastly superior to living in a suit. So bring some Nitrogen to compensate for leaks and keep the internal atmosphere at an acceptable pressure.

ECLSS, ISRU

A set of ECLSS components is available for installation in any pod. The scrubber for example, that must be used to keep the level of CO2 in the internal atmosphere below a threshold. Or the pressure control system, that can be used to maintain a comfortable atmospheric pressure inside the vessel. In general, if you ever heard of some kind of apparatus used by space agencies to keep the crew alive, you will find it in this mod.

The stock ISRU converters can host a set of reality-inspired chemical processes. The emerging chains provide a flexible and at the same time challenging system to keep your crew alive. The stock ISRU harvesters functionality has been replaced with an equivalent one that is easier to plan against, as it is now vital for long-term manned missions. The means to harvest from atmospheres and oceans is also present, given the importance of atmospheric resources in this regard.

No life-support like mod would be complete without a greenhouse of some kind. The one included in this mod has a relatively complete set of input resources and by-products, and some more unique characteristics like a lamp that adapts consumption to natural lighting, emergency harvesting, pressure requirements and radiation tolerance.

A planetary resource distribution that mimics the real solar system completes the package.

Reliability

Components don't last forever in the real world. This is modeled by a simple system that can trigger failures on arbitrary modules. Manufacturing quality can be chosen in the editor, per-component, and improve the MTBF but also requires extra cost and mass. The crew can inspect and repair malfunctioned components. Redundancy now becomes a key aspect of the design phase.

Engines have their own failure system: limited ignitions, limited burn duration, and an overall ignition failure probability will even make your 100th moon landing feel like an achievement!

Science

Experiments don't return their science output instantly, they require some time to run. Some complete in minutes, others will take months. Not to worry, experiments can run on vessels in the background, you don't have to keep that vessel loaded.

There are two different kinds of experiments: sensor readings and samples. Sensor readings are just plain data that can be transferred between vessels without extra vehicular activities, they also can be transmitted back directly. Samples however require the delicate handling by kerbals, and cannot be transmitted but have to be recovered instead. They also can be analyzed in a lab, which converts it to data that can be transmitted. Analyzing takes a long time, happens transparently to loaded and unloaded vessels alike, and can't be cheated to create science out of thin air. An interesting method is used to bridge existing stock and third-party experiments to the new science system, that works for most experiments without requiring ad-hoc support.

Transmission rates are realistic, and scale with distance to the point that it may take a long time to transmit data from the outer solar system. Data transmission happens transparently in loaded and unloaded vessels. The resulting communication system is simple, yet it also results in more realistic vessel and mission designs.

Automation

Components can be automated using a minimalist scripting system, with a graphical editor. Scripts are triggered manually or by environmental conditions. You can create a script to turn on all the lights as soon as the Sun is not visible anymore, or retract all solar panels as soon as you enter an atmosphere etc.

User Interface

Kerbalism has a nice user interface. A planner UI is available in the editor, to help the user design around all the new mechanics introduced. The planner analysis include resource estimates, habitat informations, redundancy analysis, connectivity simulation, multi-environment radiation details and more. To monitor the status of vessels, the monitor UI is also provided. This looks like a simple list of vessels at first, but just click on it to discover an ingenuous little organizer that allow to watch vessel telemetry, control components, create scripts, manage your science data including transmission and analysis, and configure the alerts per-vessel.

Modules Emulation

Most stock modules and some third-party ones are emulated for what concerns the mechanics introduced by the mod. The level of support depends on the specific module, and may include: simulation of resource consumption and production in unloaded vessels, fixing of timewarp issues in loaded vessels, the ability to disable the module after malfunctions, and also the means to start and stop the module in an automation script.

For Modders

Kerbalism has a lot of interfaces ready for other mods to use. If you are a mod developer and want Kerbalism to play nice with your mod, please see the wiki or contact us on discord.

Legalese

Spoiler

Dear mods: If for any reason I am inactive in this thread for an extended period of time, the mod thread can be considered up for adoption and may be closed if there is a successor. 

Edited by Sir Mortimer
Version 3.11

Hi, I'm having some issues with Kerbalism together with DMagic Orbital Science.

There are those  Long Term Magnetic Field Mission contracts. I took one to gather data from Kerbin. I launched a probe with magnetometer and RPWS and it's collecting data just fine from both high and low orbit. I took another contracts to do the same around Mun and another for Minmus. I launched the same probe, achieved the orbit around Mun according to the contract. But both experiments say "invalid situation", when I try to get the science data.

I found out, that the problem is, that around Kerbin it's collecting data from space low (inner belt), space low(magnetosphere), same from space high, but not from space low (global). When I look in the list of experiments from Kerbalism for Mun, I see space low (global), space high (global) for magnetometer and RPWS. But, orbiting around the Mun, when I look for the current situation in experiment context menus, I see space low (magnetosphere). That's why there is the "invalid situation" message.

I tried to change the orbit but still I was not able to reach the "global" situation. How are the situations "magnetosphere" and "global" defined?

Thanks.

52 minutes ago, Pavel88 said:

Hi, I'm having some issues with Kerbalism together with DMagic Orbital Science.

IIRC, you get "invalid situation" if the Mun is within Kerbins magnetosphere. You're both in mun orbit and in a Kerbin-specific thing. So it becomes invalid. A bit of timewarp might do the trick

4 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Out of curiosity... is it even be possible to blank out gauges/info for planets until its researched (like the atm pressure bar or current altitude) or is that too baked in to even attempt modding?

The latter, unfortunately.

However, there are plans for a mod extension to Kerbalism that will keep track of which radiation belts have been discovered/researched and only show those that are. 

2 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

However, there are plans for a mod extension to Kerbalism that will keep track of which radiation belts have been discovered/researched and only show those that are. 

I'm sure this is an insidious plan from Sir Mortimer to ensure even more dead Kerbals...

6 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

Thats freakin awesome. 

I don't mean to impose and know it may be a bit early to ask, but when KSP 2 releases do you guys plan on bringing something like kerbalism over or continue focusing on KSP 1? I ask as this mod is very expansive, and I assume, a bit difficult to maintain

I don't mean to speak for the devs, but there are essentially no details yet about the APIs for modders that will be in KSP 2. Maybe they'll look similar? Maybe they'll be completely different? Who knows?

I expect at minimum it will be A Lot Of Work to support KSP 2, whenever it is released.

7 minutes ago, salajander said:

I don't mean to speak for the devs, but there are essentially no details yet about the APIs for modders that will be in KSP 2. Maybe they'll look similar? Maybe they'll be completely different? Who knows?

I expect at minimum it will be A Lot Of Work to support KSP 2, whenever it is released.

I get that, hence the "know it may be a bit early to ask"

But the question was more of a are they going to consider an attempt or does maintaining the KSP 1 version lock up what time they have so they wont even bother. They are hobbyists doing this for free, not as a job, so I can definitely understand them saying that they're good on maintaining multiple mods across multiple games, especially when the mod they're maintaining/developing is this intricate

59 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I don't mean to impose and know it may be a bit early to ask, but when KSP 2 releases do you guys plan on bringing something like kerbalism over or continue focusing on KSP 1?

7 minutes ago, salajander said:

I can't make plans or promises for things of which I know nothing but 3 youtube videos. Besides, there isn't even an approximate release date for KSP2 yet, and even if there is, there isn't one for a mac version. Which, for me personally, is a non-negotiable requirement before I even can start looking at the game. Then I don't know if it will even run on my rig. I guess by the time I get there, others will have started a new life support mod. Maybe even a successor for Kerablism, who knows.

I tried to upgrade to 3.2 and ran into problems. After the upgrade, much of the GUI at the KSC wasn't working and I had to force quit the game. Uninstalled Kerbalism and put in my old Kerbalism folder which I had backed up. Now Module Manager gives me an error "Patcher returned a null collection of configs", and forces me to quit during startup. If I take out the Kerbalism folder, I don't get the error. I've tried reinstalling Kerbalism and the error comes back.

Here's the log => https://drive.google.com/file/d/19wpceCUSI7_wHNrvdSxcXxGvmL0jkCvb/view?usp=sharing

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

This doesn't look healthy. This doesn't look healthy at all.

In that log file, I see

KerbalismBootstrap v1.0.0.0
KerbalismBootstrap v3.2.7288.28872 / v3.2

Which lets me believe that you might have a mixture of different Kerbalism versions installed at the same time.

Note the different paths inside your GameData folder:

[LOG 21:09:38.206] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at F:\KSP\Kerbal Space Program 1_7_3\GameData\KAS\Kerbalism\Kerbalism17.kbin
[LOG 21:09:38.248] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at F:\KSP\Kerbal Space Program 1_7_3\GameData\Kerbalism\Kerbalism17.kbin

To me it looks like you have Kerbalism inside GameData/Kerbalism and GameData/KAS/Kerbalism. The latter one is a desaster and recipe for catastrophic failures, things go very sideways from there on.

Next steps: delete GameData/KAS/Kerbalism*, and just for good measure, also delete GameData/Kerbalism* and then copy a fresh version of the Kerbalism and KerbalismConfig folders from the releases.

Please give lifter engines more ignitions by default this is really unfair for ppl who want to do recovery

Also we can't really use the vessel as a storm shelter for missions longer than a couple of days because the vessel is not oriented during timewarp (even if you could somehow magically set the sun as a target which you can't do without mechjeb) and is imo a mostly nullified feature

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

I've been following kerbalism for years and was a good friend with shotgunninja. It's been my favourite mod for years and really love what you guys have done.

That said I've noticed that I've had some issues enjoying the game and I think I know why. Kerbalism has become ultra realistic and complex and that's fine but I wish a classic mode was given to us. A mode where we have radiation, signal, storms etc as normal, and food, water and oxygen and waste. With science and reverted to stock and with the ISRU functioning exactly like stock but with the option to produce water from ore and an option to convert water to ore with some "waste" generated. And food made from the greenhouses which can supply 4 kerbals per greenhouse and not the current 2(or 1). Keeping fun new things like redundancy, breakdowns and engines having limited relights albeit with some engines like the shuttle main engines having more than 2 relights which kerbalism currently sets which is unrealistic. 

Removing the complexities of ammonia, hydrogen, nitrogen and other complex changes. JUST in this classic setting. This would be very much like the old kerbalism that shotgun left and would allow people like me who fell in love with the mod from having to ditch it cause it's hindered our creativity and fun so much due to the ultra realism 

Edited by The-Doctor

56 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

I've been following kerbalism for years and was a good friend with shotgunninja. It's been my favourite mod for years and really love what you guys have done.

That said I've noticed that I've had some issues enjoying the game and I think I know why. Kerbalism has become ultra realistic and complex and that's fine but I wish a classic mode was given to us. A mode where we have radiation, signal, storms etc as normal, and food, water and oxygen and waste. With science and reverted to stock and with the ISRU functioning exactly like stock but with the option to produce water from ore and an option to convert water to ore with some "waste" generated. And food made from the greenhouses which can supply 4 kerbals per greenhouse and not the current 2(or 1). Keeping fun new things like redundancy, breakdowns and engines having limited relights albeit with some engines like the shuttle main engines having more than 2 relights which kerbalism currently sets which is unrealistic. 

Removing the complexities of ammonia, hydrogen, nitrogen and other complex changes. JUST in this classic setting. This would be very much like the old kerbalism that shotgun left and would allow people like me who fell in love with the mod from having to ditch it cause it's hindered our creativity and fun so much due to the ultra realism 

+1 kerbalism has become very hard to enjoy due to how much it stresses the player

On 12/19/2019 at 9:24 AM, Sir Mortimer said:

This doesn't look healthy. This doesn't look healthy at all.

In that log file, I see

KerbalismBootstrap v1.0.0.0
KerbalismBootstrap v3.2.7288.28872 / v3.2

Which lets me believe that you might have a mixture of different Kerbalism versions installed at the same time.

Note the different paths inside your GameData folder:

[LOG 21:09:38.206] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at F:\KSP\Kerbal Space Program 1_7_3\GameData\KAS\Kerbalism\Kerbalism17.kbin
[LOG 21:09:38.248] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at F:\KSP\Kerbal Space Program 1_7_3\GameData\Kerbalism\Kerbalism17.kbin

To me it looks like you have Kerbalism inside GameData/Kerbalism and GameData/KAS/Kerbalism. The latter one is a desaster and recipe for catastrophic failures, things go very sideways from there on.

Next steps: delete GameData/KAS/Kerbalism*, and just for good measure, also delete GameData/Kerbalism* and then copy a fresh version of the Kerbalism and KerbalismConfig folders from the releases.

I've been having the same issue, I'll try to run it without it. I guess the mods are incompatible, right? :(

Please a basic kerbalism profile would do a lot for fans like myself who aren't that interested in hyper ultra realism, I like some realism and challenge such as keeping supplies, protecting against radiation, needing to repair my engines, but the lack of a simplified profile makes the game too technical for me and others and less fun, having a profile made for a more easy experience with some challenge but not frustration would be really nice

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Please a basic kerbalism profile would do a lot for fans like myself who aren't that interested in hyper ultra realism, I like some realism and challenge such as keeping supplies, protecting against radiation, needing to repair my engines, but the lack of a simplified profile makes the game too technical for me and others and less fun, having a profile made for a more easy experience with some challenge but not frustration would be really nice

There is the Simplex profile by @theJesuit that abstracts things into a simpler mode, I assume it is still working since it is linked in the OP.

I get 20 MM errors when loading regarding SSPX and Kerbalism, in the logs it looks to be the deployable parts. I'm on Linux as well, so maybe it is a simple case sensitivity issue?

Spoiler

[LOG 21:18:01.329] Applying update KerbalismConfig/Support/SSPX/@PART[sspx-inflatable-hab*]:NEEDS[StationPartsExpansionRedux,ProfileDefault]:AFTER[KerbalismDefault] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Extendable/extendable-25/sspx-inflatable-hab-25-1.cfg/PART[sspx-inflatable-hab-25-1]
[ERR 21:18:01.329] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key CrewCapacity = #$MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
[ERR 21:18:01.329] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key capacity = #$../MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
[ERR 21:18:01.329] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key capacity = #$../MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
[ERR 21:18:01.330] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key amount = #$../../../MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
[ERR 21:18:01.330] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key maxAmount = #$../../../MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
[ERR 21:18:01.330] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key maxAmount = #$../../../MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
[LOG 21:18:01.330] Applying update KerbalismConfig/Support/SSPX/@PART[sspx-inflatable-hab*]:NEEDS[StationPartsExpansionRedux,ProfileDefault]:AFTER[KerbalismDefault] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Extendable/extendable-25/sspx-inflatable-hab-25-2.cfg/PART[sspx-inflatable-hab-25-2]
[ERR 21:18:01.330] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key CrewCapacity = #$MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
[ERR 21:18:01.330] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key capacity = #$../MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
[ERR 21:18:01.330] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key capacity = #$../MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
[ERR 21:18:01.330] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key amount = #$../../../MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$

4 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I get 20 MM errors when loading regarding SSPX and Kerbalism, in the logs it looks to be the deployable parts. I'm on Linux as well, so maybe it is a simple case sensitivity issue?

Reveal hidden contents

[LOG 21:18:01.329] Applying update KerbalismConfig/Support/SSPX/@PART[sspx-inflatable-hab*]:NEEDS[StationPartsExpansionRedux,ProfileDefault]:AFTER[KerbalismDefault] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Extendable/extendable-25/sspx-inflatable-hab-25-1.cfg/PART[sspx-inflatable-hab-25-1]
[ERR 21:18:01.329] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key CrewCapacity = #$MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
[LOG 21:18:01.330] Applying update KerbalismConfig/Support/SSPX/@PART[sspx-inflatable-hab*]:NEEDS[StationPartsExpansionRedux,ProfileDefault]:AFTER[KerbalismDefault] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Extendable/extendable-25/sspx-inflatable-hab-25-2.cfg/PART[sspx-inflatable-hab-25-2]
[ERR 21:18:01.330] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key CrewCapacity = #$MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$

Are you sure you got the latest SSPX release? That sounds like an issue that has been fixed (missing closing curly braces in 2 files)

@The-Doctor I'm kinda working on everything at the moment.  Simplex profile, simplex resources and the Tetrix (simplex 2) tech tree. 

Do you want to PM me with what you would want more stockish?

The simplex profile basically leaves science, comms, radiation alone and only affects the LS resources.  Air and consumables.  Also the fuel cells are MP and Air or LFO.  And the isru becomes the stock formula's again ie.  Ore to LFO or MP.

Peace.