[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

@Kebra shielding that you add to each part is averaged across all parts that are habitat enabled.  So you need shielding on all.

If you have a active shield then this will help too.

If you have RTGs, modpart nuclear generators  or use Nuke engines then put thme far away from any habitat space.

If you get a solar flare then, if your ship is tanks/engines at one end then point retrograde to the sun so that you are shielded.

Just realised I was ninaj'd.  Thanks @Gotmachine.

So I seem to be encountering an issue with kerbalism in conjunction with a few small and apparently compatible mods. I am finding that I am unable to enter any space center buildings other than R&D and Astronaut complex and after I have entered those I am unable to back out. Any pointers? 

23 hours ago, kubi said:

------------ Edit ----------

It seems that the ScienceOnly config is not for 3.2, but not obvious from CKAN :(

------------ /Edit ----------

I'm using KerblismScienceOnly config on KSP 1.8.1 (is it compatible?) with UnKerballedStart and others, and found a bug, I think.

When I change the probe core (stayputnik) to enable the Geiger counter, there is an error.

I've just uploaded an updated ScienceOnly configuration that includes the Geiger counter fix @Gotmachine added to core Kerbalism. It should work now, please let me know if it doesn't.

16 hours ago, oliver_curtis said:

So I seem to be encountering an issue with kerbalism in conjunction with a few small and apparently compatible mods. I am finding that I am unable to enter any space center buildings other than R&D and Astronaut complex and after I have entered those I am unable to back out. Any pointers? 

Sounds like a broken installation. I can tell more when you provide a KSP.log :)

Hi Sir Mortimerfirst of all, congratulations for making one of the best mods that KSP have ever seen IMO.

I want to inform that i recently encountered a bug with this mod, the "can't access building" bug with UI stuck, no access to VAB or other buildings, only the R&D and Astronaut Complex was clickable but with no chance to exit (exit button was stuck).

I analyzed my whole 30+ modpack and encountered this problem with the last version of this mod (Kerbalism 3.2), both on 1.8 and 1.5.1, sadly i have no output log since i've been reinstalling the game a lot of times before noticing that was Kerbalism doing this, but i have a bugged persistent file that maybe can be useful. The bug came out while quicksaving on Duna orbit.

https://mega.nz/#F!fdMhjYoL!lml06HcJydswpdz444jkPQ

hope that this post was useful, sorry for no log, actually i have no problems with version 3.1 

I'm playing on OSX,

Bye! 

On 1/7/2020 at 3:24 PM, SpaceCarmelo said:

Hi Sir Mortimerfirst of all, congratulations for making one of the best mods that KSP have ever seen IMO.

Thanks - but I didn't make it. Kerbalism is a community project with many contributors who came and left over time. I'm just one of the current contributors and one of the maintainers for the time being.

I want to inform that i recently encountered a bug with this mod, the "can't access building" bug with UI stuck, no access to VAB or other buildings, only the R&D and Astronaut Complex was clickable but with no chance to exit (exit button was stuck).

I analyzed my whole 30+ modpack and encountered this problem with the last version of this mod (Kerbalism 3.2), both on 1.8 and 1.5.1, sadly i have no output log

That's a shame, because without that log there isn't much we can do to analyze the problem, and the save game is likely not of any help if we don't have the same mods installed.

Maybe try from a new and vanilla KSP installation, install Kerbalism first, see if KSP still works?

I'm playing on OSX

Me too :)

Hey, is the radiation dose my Kerbals are getting from Near Future reactors dependent on distance? I've had a ship with two reactors, and Kerbals were getting unacceptable doses on it. I've split it in the middle, inserted another 80m long truss, but the dose did not change. It also has 4 active shields btw. 
In the process of splitting: 
sd8dIcySIXqu7pGiqjqpGpIfjGsO9HQ10N1_CfEO

Edited by sashan

On 1/6/2020 at 1:21 PM, Gotmachine said:

Radiation and shielding is averaged over the whole vessel, it doesn't matter where the kerbals are.
Currently the only way of changing that is by disabling specific habitats, which isn't really practical because that will depressurize them.
Gameplay wise, the basic recommendadtion are :
- Max out shielding for anything interplanetary, you will need a lot of extra margin, trust me.
- Avoid getting inside radiation belts as much as possible
- Follow this guide to design a vessel that minimize solar storm induced radiation : https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/PlayGuide-~-Environment#coronal-mass-ejection-cme

Has @Sir Mortimer said anything about changing this so that each habitat has it's own level of protection based on their own shielding? I was hoping to be able to get away with just having a 'storm cellar', but I can't do that the way this is set up right now.

So I have a playthrough I am doing and the early game hit I'm getting from constant transmission is killing me. I know I can turn off a transmission by clicking the blue arrows and I know I can default transmission to off in the options before starting a game. Is there a way to toggle this default on a per craft basis though or even just an in game toggle so I can switch it back on later? I'd like to have it default on in later game when EC cost is low comparatively to my generation, but in the early game its really messing with me. 

Science-only config again :)

Are radiation belts and solar storms disabled or I messed up something? Those influence science as well, not just kerbal health.

Is it possible to turn those back on?

I can contribute if you tell me where to start...

I'm getting the same "can't click on anything" and constant errors spammed with nothing but Kerbalism, ModuleManager, and CommunityResourcePack installed and a brand new sandbox save.  I installed Kerbalism 3.2 from spacedock and CRP 1.3.0 from github.  Logs here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ttDp_0JcPcB7UKZVPc4cNi3aCGvP9Aq0/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: well this is embarrassing....I failed to install one of the kerbalism configs.  Still, it would be nice if there was some kind of alert when this happens!  The first error is here, presumably because there is no Kerbalism.cfg file:

[EXC 10:19:40.195] IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    KERBALISM.Settings.Parse () (at <d0c64642e7b34b419c7638a19618d36d>:0)
    KERBALISM.Loader.Start () (at <d0c64642e7b34b419c7638a19618d36d>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Edited by JonnyOThan

On 1/11/2020 at 7:41 PM, JonnyOThan said:

EDIT: well this is embarrassing....I failed to install one of the kerbalism configs.  Still, it would be nice if there was some kind of alert when this happens!  The first error is here, presumably because there is no Kerbalism.cfg file

Confirmed, and fixed. See https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/issues/578 (fix will be in the next dev version)

On 1/11/2020 at 12:11 AM, kubi said:

Science-only config again :)

Are radiation belts and solar storms disabled or I messed up something? Those influence science as well, not just kerbal health.

ScienceOnly disables everything except the science, so no radiation belts.

On 1/11/2020 at 12:11 AM, kubi said:

Is it possible to turn those back on?

I can contribute if you tell me where to start...

I suggest you start from the default configuration and turn off everything you do not need. Look into Settings.cfg, it should be fairly self explaining!

2 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

ScienceOnly disables everything except the science, so no radiation belts.

I suggest you start from the default configuration and turn off everything you do not need. Look into Settings.cfg, it should be fairly self explaining!

Thanks!

I'll do it this way then.

I started from ScienceOnly and tried to copy back & modify here and there, but without success.

Is it possible just by changing the config files to add in-game config options to turn on/off certain features?

1 hour ago, kubi said:

Thanks!

I'll do it this way then.

I started from ScienceOnly and tried to copy back & modify here and there, but without success.

Is it possible just by changing the config files to add in-game config options to turn on/off certain features?

What features are you trying to turn on and off?

21 hours ago, theJesuit said:

What features are you trying to turn on and off?

Basically everything except the science related ones.

I use Kerbal Health and TACLS, and do not really like part failures and part qaulity either.

The ScienceOnly config is great, but it loses the belts and storms virtual biomes.

3 hours ago, kubi said:

Basically everything except the science related ones.

I use Kerbal Health and TACLS, and do not really like part failures and part qaulity either.

The ScienceOnly config is great, but it loses the belts and storms virtual biomes.

This is a WOMM certified* guide:

1. Install the default KerbalismConfig
  2. In KerbalismConfig/Parts, delete everything but ActiveShield, GeigerCounter and ShortAntenna 
  3. Change your KerbalismConfig/Settings.cfg to what is posted below
  4. Change your KerbalismConfig/Profiles/None.cfg to what is posted below

Settings.cfg:

Kerbalism
{
  // profile used
  Profile = none                   // valid values are: 'default', 'none' or custom profiles (see Profiles folder)

// user-defined features
  Reliability = false                  // component malfunctions and critical failures
  Deploy = false                       // add EC cost to keep module working, add EC cost to Extend\Retract (Deploy.cfg has the modules supported list)
  Science = true                      // science data storage, transmission and analysis
  SpaceWeather = true                 // coronal mass ejections
  Automation = true                   // control vessel components using scripts

// science settings
  ScienceDialog = true                // keep showing the stock science dialog

// comms
  DataRateDampingExponent = 6	      // stock commnet: exponent by which antenna bandwidth decreases with distance. higher value = lower bandwidth.
                                      // systems that have been scaled up or down should change this value accordingly
  DataRateDampingExponentRT = 6	      // same as above, but for RemoteTech
  TransmitterActiveEcFactor = 1.5     // factor to the nominal ec consumption rate while antenna is active (transmitting)
  TransmitterPassiveEcFactor = 0.2    // factor to the nominal ec consumption rate while antenna is inactive (idle/receiving)
  DataRateMinimumBitsPerSecond = 1.0  // as long as there is a control connection, the science data rate will never go below this.

// misc
  EnforceCoherency = true             // detect and avoid issues at high timewarp in external modules
  TrackingPivot = true                // simulate tracking solar panel around the pivot
  HeadLampsCost = 0.002               // EC/s cost if eva headlamps are on
  LowQualityRendering = false         // use less particles to render the magnetic fields
  UIScale = 1.0                       // scale UI elements by this factor, relative to KSP scaling settings, useful for high DPI screens
  UIPanelWidthScale = 1.0             // scale UI Panel Width by this factor, relative to KSP scaling settings, useful for high DPI screens

ExternRadiation = 0.04              // cosmic background radiation in rad/h. note: this will be affected by magnetospheres of kerbin and sun
  StormRadiation = 5.0                // default storm radiation in rad/h, will be affected by solar cycle. can be changed in game preferences
  //RadiationInSievert = true         // use Sievert (Sv) iso. rad as radiation unit

// installation sanity check settings
  CheckForCRP = false

// uncomment the following line to disable the warning about RemoteTech and/or ResearchBodies
  ModsWarning = none
}

Profiles/None.cfg:

{
  name = none

Supply
  {
    resource = ElectricCharge
    on_eva = 33.0
    on_rescue = 100.0
    low_threshold = 0.15
    low_message = $VESSEL batteries are almost empty@<i>We are squeezing the last bit of juice</i>
    empty_message = $VESSEL has no electricity@<i>All experiments stopped</i>
  }

// Kerbalism enables radiation when there is a rule that uses the radiation modifier.
 // Same for shielding. This means that your Kerbals will suffer from radiation poisoning and possibly die.
 // This is the copy from the default profile, if you want to null the effects that radiation
 // has on your crew, set degeneration to a very small value.
 Rule
  {
    name = radiation
    degeneration = 1.0 // just use the modifier
    variance = 0.1 // add per-kerbal variance
    individuality = 0.15
    lifetime = true // this is a life time value
    modifier = radiation,shielding
    warning_threshold = 25.0
    danger_threshold = 37.5
    fatal_threshold = 50.0
    warning_message = #KERBALISM_radiation_warning
    danger_message = #KERBALISM_radiation_danger
    fatal_message = #KERBALISM_radiation_fatal
    relax_message = #KERBALISM_radiation_relax
  }
}

* Works On My Machine.

EDIT: you might want to install CommunityResourcePack if you want shielding on your vessels. (CRP is not a requirement for the science only config)

Edited by Sir Mortimer

5 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

// science settings ScienceDialog = true // keep showing the stock science dialog

Oh! You can still see the little science popups? I really like some of that flavor text, but  *really* like the Kerbalism data storage and transfer. Best of both worlds! :D

Okay -- just trying in my current game, and the above setting is enabled -- but how do you view the stock dialogs? Or am I misunderstanding what this is? -- There's no "run experiment" or "review data" button in the experiment's PAW anymore...

Edited by Beetlecat

20 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

This is a WOMM certified* guide:

1. Install the default KerbalismConfig
  2. In KerbalismConfig/Parts, delete everything but ActiveShield, GeigerCounter and ShortAntenna 
  3. Change your KerbalismConfig/Settings.cfg to what is posted below
  4. Change your KerbalismConfig/Profiles/None.cfg to what is posted below

Thank you!

// Kerbalism enables radiation when there is a rule that uses the radiation modifier.
 // Same for shielding. This means that your Kerbals will suffer from radiation poisoning and possibly die.
 // This is the copy from the default profile, if you want to null the effects that radiation
 // has on your crew, set degeneration to a very small value.

Do I understand correctly that I need to enable the radiation part with a very low degeneration (and variance accordingly?) if I want to see any of the belts or storms?

5 hours ago, kubi said:

Do I understand correctly that I need to enable the radiation part with a very low degeneration (and variance accordingly?) if I want to see any of the belts or storms?

Yes. It's a bit silly, but that's how it is implemented.

4 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Is there a simple way to make science-configs for mods like coatl aerospace? The problem is that the animations (extend of experiments...)  don`t work with kerbalism.

Yes, see this guide.

A: You probably have ResearchBodies installed. Delete this file:

GameData/REPOSoftTech/ResearchBodies/ResearchBodiesMMRemoteTech.cfg

Just found this like 25 hours into a playthrough.... xD

I've been using so much solar and manual control over sending data. Feels like a massive weight has been taken off of my playthrough... every ship ive made has been essentially coated in solar panels

Also, I recently got breaking ground but am a bit confused, I realize the science rate is 5% as a scientist did not put the experiment down, but i see no data being transmitted either. I have met the power requirements (solar produces 3, control station uses 2, and Go-ob requires 1) and all modules are enabled. Go-og says its producing ~.005 science/hour. Is this too little to be noticed in the mod or am I doing this whole thing incorrectly?

Spoiler

75elQ3J.jpg

Edited by mcwaffles2003

12 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

I did this before. The Experiments works but doesn´t extend anymore. As example: the gamma ray boom of Coatl Aerospace. I Can`t extend the boom with this patch.

Here is my config:

Spoiler

// This node is handled by the kerbalism patching system
// You can use it to define variables that can then be reused in individual patchs
@KERBALISM_EXPERIMENT_VALUES:NEEDS[CoatlAerospace,FeatureScience]
{
  %CoatlAerospace
  {
    ca_gammaRay
    {
      size = 250         // size in MB. If the experiment is a sample, this define how many slots it uses :  1024 MB = 1 slot.
      duration = 120   // duration in seconds
    }
  }
}

// You need to patch the experiment definition with the data size 
// so the experiment module data_rate combined with it gives the right duration.
// Note that even if you don't use Kerbalism's Experiment module, it is recommended to set this anyway
// because data / sample size is usually not balanced against Kerbalism's drives capacities.
@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#id[ca_gammaRay]]:NEEDS[CoatlAerospace,FeatureScience]:FOR[zzzKerbalismDefault]
{
  @dataScale = #$@KERBALISM_EXPERIMENT_VALUES/CoatlAerospace/ca_gammaRay/size$
  @dataScale /= #$baseValue$

// This is optional, see full documentation further in this document.
  KERBALISM_EXPERIMENT
  {
    Situation = Surface@Biomes
    Situation = FlyingLow@Biomes 
  }
}

// Finally, patch your part
@PART[ca_GRS]:NEEDS[CoatlAerospace,FeatureScience]:FOR[KerbalismDefault]
{
    // Add Kerbalism's experiment module
    // See https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/TechGuide-~-PartModules-~-Experiment
    // for the full documentation
    MODULE
    {
      name = Experiment
      experiment_id = ca_gammaRay
      data_rate = #$@KERBALISM_EXPERIMENT_VALUES/CoatlAerospace/ca_gammaRay/size$
      @data_rate /= #$@KERBALISM_EXPERIMENT_VALUES/CoatlAerospace/ca_gammaRay/duration$
      // those values are optional, this is an example :
      ec_rate = 3.2
      allow_shrouded = False
      requires = SunAngleMin:5,SunAngleMax:60
    }

// Delete the original module (usually it's a stock ModuleScienceExperiment)
    !MODULE:HAS[#experimentID,~name[Experiment]] {}
}

On 1/16/2020 at 12:19 AM, mcwaffles2003 said:

Just found this like 25 hours into a playthrough.... xD

I've been using so much solar and manual control over sending data. Feels like a massive weight has been taken off of my playthrough... every ship ive made has been essentially coated in solar panels

Also, I recently got breaking ground but am a bit confused, I realize the science rate is 5% as a scientist did not put the experiment down, but i see no data being transmitted either. I have met the power requirements (solar produces 3, control station uses 2, and Go-ob requires 1) and all modules are enabled. Go-og says its producing ~.005 science/hour. Is this too little to be noticed in the mod or am I doing this whole thing incorrectly?

Hide contents

75elQ3J.jpg

Spoiler

yntlGAG.jpg

Ok, so I know that I should be able to receive science from this, have I set up the experiment wrong or is this just possibly a bug? If needed I can provide my mod list/log.