[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

16 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

Yes it is supposed to.
You don't need water storage. Set the H2/O2 fuel cell to "dump" water (there is a button for that in the PAW).

It is set to that by default and not working. The cell does not burn LF and oxidizer. It really should but it requires specifically hydrogen and oxygen. They're only useful on space stations this way and it kinda sucks that I can't burn excesss fuel for electricity.

1 hour ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

I can't burn excesss fuel for electricity

I imagine building a fuel cell for Liquid H2/O2 or even nastier fuels would require a much larger and complex part. Use your engine's alternator to generate EC from excess fuel :D

10 hours ago, garwel said:

For me personally, the biggest problem is the KER chip. I used to put it on all the vessels to have more information at hands. But now it is either incredibly expensive (around 17,000 if I'm not mistaken) or just unavailable for new craft due to tech level.

TBH, I consider KER essential, so I use this patch to add it to all command pods:

Spoiler

// KER4all: install KER module in all probe cores and pods
@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[FlightEngineerModule]]:NEEDS[KerbalEngineer]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = FlightEngineerModule
    }
}

I got some weird problem:

I'm using the ScienceOnly config, and somehow my probe in low orbit can not transmit any science. Its packed full of data, but as seen in below screenshot the "max transmission rate" is still "none"

WhkOwGq.png?1

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any possible known reason? How is "max transmission rate" calculated?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Athur Dent

Is it just me, or do the NFE reactors not actually produce electricity? It appears to be the case both in planner and in flight. KSP 1.8.1, Kerbalism 3.4, but I'll check 3.5 soon (nothing in the changelog suggests a fix).

Edited by Guest

I feel like I must be missing something obvious because no one else is asking about this, but how do you make relays work? The most explanation I can find is that 'high gain' antennas can't be used as relays but 'low gain' antennas can. There seems to be nothing in-game that tells you if an antenna is high gain or low gain, so right off the bat I'm basically just guessing based on which antennas looks like an omnidirectional and which ones look like dishes. The in-game descriptions give the antenna type as 'direct' or 'relay', and that definitely doesn't correspond to omni or dish antennas, but I've tried building a relay based on that in-game description instead and it still doesn't work. I found something online that says you have to 'flag' your low gain antenna as 'relay', but... how do you do that? There's no option for that when you right click an antenna, either in the VAB or in flight. There's nothing for the antennas that can be toggled in the planner.

For all KSP version from 1.5.x to 1.9.x

Let's all say our farewells to the good old pressurized containers and hex cans, and let's welcome the new containers for food, water, oxygen and everything else a kerbal needs!

Bildschirmfoto_2020-02-09_um_22.40.57.pn

Bildschirmfoto_2020-02-09_um_23.04.40.pn

Changelog:

• New radial container parts (Arkolis), soft-deprecation of the old pressurized tanks and the TAC hex cans
  • Ability to show/hide individual vessels in vessel list (SirMortimer)
  • Mesh/model based habitat volume/surface evaluation : improve accuracy for non explicitely supported parts (Got)
  • Adjusted existing habitat volume/surface configurations (stock, SSPX...) (Got)
  • Tweaked engine burn failure function to be more predictable (SirMortimer)
  • German localization (Woeller) + other localization fixes (TinyGrox)
  • Add CommNetAntennasInfo to incompatible mods warning (Got)
  • Feature #587 : Included experiment system : allow for tiered experiments (RP1 request). See wiki for documentation : https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/TechGuide-~-Supporting-Science-Mods#includeexperiment (Got)
  • Feature #588 : API methods for Bureaucracy integration (Got)
  • Fixed incorrect EC consumption of antennas / transmitters (Got)
  • Fix for #546 : Account for stock requireAtmosphere/requireNoAtmosphere experiment definition restrictions (Got)
  • Fix for #544 : Disable interaction in experiment popup when control unavailable (Got)
  • Fix for #554 : In flight science now removed instantly when a part/vessel is destroyed (Got)
  • Fix for #568 : Missing experiment name in action groups (Got)
  • Fix for #596 : Universal Storage 2 goo canister animations (Got)
  • Last minute fix for #605 : EVA Kerbals getting free resources (SirMortimer)

(Disclaimer: This happened with 3.5, so IF there was a bug involved that was fixed in 3.6, feel free to just disregard.  However given the nature of my issue, I think the more likely case is that I'm missing something?)

So I just ran into an issue of sorts when trying to do the WING experiments on Kerbin.  As it stands, the data accumulation rate of WING is way too high than the ONLY antenna that I can use in flight (since deployable antennas will break from aero forces) and will also fill up my HD capacity (3 x 4MB currently) within a few minutes.  As such, while stated to need about 10 minutes to complete per biome, it actually takes almost an hour of flying loops, all manually since it's in-atmosphere, for what ends up to maybe 10 points of science.

Overall, I feel like I'm missing something? As if I should be able to achieve MUCH higher transfer rates, at least while still so close to the KSC.

If this is working as intended, then I guess I will just not do the WING experiments, as they're really, REALLY not worth that amount of hands-on playtime for the amount of science they give.

Edit: The Antenna I'm talking about is the Communotron 16-S.  ALL other antennas are either deployed (and as such will break during flight) or just don't look like they would belong on an airplane because, well, drag is a thing, right?

Edited by Atlessa

Wow what a mod! I can't think of playing KSP without this mod anymore. Thank you all for your hard work in this mod! <3

I have a question, I am not sure if it's a bug or a design choice. I've been playing on 1.8 with Kerbalism 3.5 (and quite a lot other mods) and put up a Mobile Laboratory in orbit of the Mun, along with a materials study unit and mystery goo from Universal Storage II. Now when the Lab is online and active, it generates transmittable science from analysis of the samples from Low and High Mun orbit. However, this type of science data is not automatically flagged for transmission, and thus I have to manually select to transmit the data to empty the hard drives, or else every couple of days I have the message that the HDD is full and the lab turns itself offline. Is this behaviour (having to manually flag the data for transmission) by design or I've run into some sort of bug?

Note that other experiments run fine and send their data automatically when needed. I haven't found any configuration on the auto-scripts to trigger the sending of this data either.

If it's not by design and it's not normal behavior I can provide logs etc to help track the issue down. Thank you

23 minutes ago, IronPanda said:

[ CommNetAntennasInfo ] doesn’t work anymore with Kerbalism 3.6 ?

It's antenna part info hack override the Kerbalism one, and doesn't work because it round values. And it's antenna EC consumption thing also conflict with Kerbalism handling of antennas EC.

45 minutes ago, Atlessa said:

ALL other antennas are either deployed (and as such will break during flight) or just don't look like they would belong on an airplane because, well, drag is a thing, right?

You can put fixed antennas in a fairing or in a cargo bay, they should work. That's how it's done IRL.

Edited by Gotmachine

10 minutes ago, Gotmachine said:

You can put fixed antennas in a fairing or in a cargo bay, they should work. That's how it's done IRL.

Just tried that (fairing, as I don't have cargo bays in my career yet), antennas don't transmit that way.

And even then, all the HG antennas I tested (up to the HG-20 which I think is added by Restock+?)  don't really have the transfer rate for the WING experiment either. I really fell like things aren't right here, unless it's REALLY intended that a 10 minute atmospheric experiment should take OVER TWO HOURS to transmit? (and fill almost 10 probe core hard drives in the process?)

Shalldo!

Okay -- mini update, CommNet Constellation seems to work!

I tuned one tracking station and one antenna on a probe to the same freq., then disabled the other two antennas to see what happened. The connection manager seemed to match exactly what was happening with the game's signal gauge. Transmission of experiments started and stopped with CNC frequencies being swapped around the various antennas. Not sure if there's some intended restriction for experiments only being transmittable if connected to the KSC, but maybe the assumption is that once it gets to Kerbin, the signal is then sent by hard-line / terrestrial signals back to KSC. Probe control, and experiment gathering, etc. also halts with loss of signal.

A tentative compatibility thumbs-up from my modest amount of testing.

Edited by Beetlecat
Testing

Is ResearchBodies still an issue with 3.6 or is the warning obsolete now?

Also, I'm a bit confused about the mystery goo: I packed multiple goo containers on my vessel in order to observe it in different situations. However, Kerbalism told me I can't run it another time. When I recovered the vessel, I noticed that I got science points for multiple situations. So is one goo container enough? Will the goo be depleted on longer missions? Can I bring more?

49 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Is ResearchBodies still an issue with 3.6 or is the warning obsolete now?

Also, I'm a bit confused about the mystery goo: I packed multiple goo containers on my vessel in order to observe it in different situations. However, Kerbalism told me I can't run it another time. When I recovered the vessel, I noticed that I got science points for multiple situations. So is one goo container enough? Will the goo be depleted on longer missions? Can I bring more?

The Research Bodies problem is mostly the issue with the config for remotetech that it contains. If you nuke that, you should be good :)

It's not only possible but likely that I'm just an idiot, and have missed a setting or config somewhere....

But since updating to today's patch my antennas are consuming EC at baffling rates, even when not transmitting. Most of the starting probes go dead a few seconds after liftoff with even one antenna attached.

The VAB also now shows two EC values, one for Idle and one for Transmitting. The Idle values are lower than the Transmit values, but still, kind of ridiculously high.

4 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Did RemoteTech compatibility really get fixed?! :D Just looked over the compatibility page and noticed "supported" next to it now

Also, @Sir Mortimer, thanks for all the fast updates! You guys are seriously going hard.

Nowadays, most of the work is done by @Gotmachine - all I do is getting out of his way :)

35 minutes ago, Sir Mortimer said:

Nowadays, most of the work is done by @Gotmachine - all I do is getting out of his way :)

Don't mean to push my luck, but are there any new large features you guys have your sights set on or has kerbalism essentially taken shape in the way you guys have hoped and its minor adjustments here on out?

11 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Don't mean to push my luck, but are there any new large features you guys have your sights set on or has kerbalism essentially taken shape in the way you guys have hoped and its minor adjustments here on out?

The way habitats work will change. Same for radiation shielding, active and passive. There will be more part updates coming, and it's going to be fantastic :)

17 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Did RemoteTech compatibility really get fixed?! :D Just looked over the compatibility page and noticed "supported" next to it now

Ha, so people actually *do* read the wiki :P
I did a bit of fixing, but that will be for next release. I usually update the wiki as soon as I do something because otherwise I have a tendency to forget about it.

12 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

are there any new large features you guys have your sights set on or has kerbalism essentially taken shape in the way you guys have hoped and its minor adjustments here on out?

Kerbalism is very far from what it could ideally be. At least that's my personal opinion.
My immediate plans are the habitat/pressure system rewrite.
Also as @Sir Mortimer said, we have some very cool parts in the pipeline, and some new radiation related features.
Some kind of heat management system is also on the table, but probably not for next update.

17 hours ago, angelatthetomb said:

since updating to today's patch my antennas are consuming EC at baffling rates

The rates were very wrong, probably since quite some time.
Specifically, the "TransmitterPassiveEcFactor" that you can set in the Settings.cfg file was applied twice.
Since it is normally set to 0.2, the effective factor was 0.2*0.2 = 0.04, so EC rates were five times less.
But I fear that this bug has been here for so long that the configs have been balanced against it.
In the meantime, you can adjust it to 0.04 by editing the Settings.cfg file, which shoudl probably be the new default value.

Edited by Gotmachine