[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

1 minute ago, Gotmachine said:

Ha, so people actually *do* read the wiki :P
I did a bit of fixing, but that will be for next release. I usually update the wiki as soon as I do something because otherwise I have a tendency to forget about it.

Hell yes I do :P

4 minutes ago, Gotmachine said:

Kerbalism is very far from what it could ideally be. At least that's my personal opinion.
My immediate plans are the habitat/pressure system rewrite.
Also as @Sir Mortimer said, we have some very cool parts in the pipeline, and some new radiation related features.
Some kind of heat management system is also on the table, but probably not for next update.

Well, you've got a real fan in me. Just the revamped science mechanic alone is worthy of the highest praises. Keep up the great work man and can't wait to see what comes next.

PS get some sleep or something you've release like 4 sizable updates since 1.8.1 dropped

7 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Just the revamped science mechanic alone is worthy of the highest praises. 

I could not agree more.  It really is one of those changes that make you approach playing the game from a completely different angle.  I find myself building things I would have never done before, and a lot of the things I used to do as a standard don't really work well now.  

3 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

Some kind of heat management system is also on the table

I don't mind if you say you don't wanna talk about it yet, but would this have to do with just heat generated by parts like reactors/solar panels or also just the overall thermal condition of the spacecraft in regards to how it's oriented towards the sun and time spent in darkness vs. sunlight etc

Edited by Drew Kerman

8 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I don't mind if you say you don't wanna talk about it yet, but would this have to do with just heat generated by parts like reactors/solar panels or also just the overall thermal condition of the spacecraft in regards to how it's oriented towards the sun and time spent in darkness vs. sunlight etc

Heat is a topic that keeps coming up, and there's a fair bit of background information in a github issue, as well as the discussion 2 pages back in this thread.

Long story short: it is very difficult to get a heat simulation with the accuracy and predictability required to avoid killing kerbals in error, especially when dealing with habitation climatization and environment conditions like sunlight and shadow during time warp. If heat is going to be a thing in Kerbalism, it likely will be a dumbed down simulation that works, instead of an accurate simulation that kills your crew without justification. Don't get me wrong, nobody here has any qualms about killing kerbals - as long as it happens with a justification that is understood (and caused) by the player.

Edited by Sir Mortimer

I just started to use Kerbalism, but I have a question. With the new science system, is it possible to "deploy" an experiment (like extending a magnetometer) separate of running the experiment? And as an extension of that, be able to deploy two of the same experiments without running them, as you can't run two of the same experiment? I run into problems with some of my craft, for example, I have a solar probe (based on the real world Helios probe) that has two RPWS antennae, but I can't extend both of them at the same time, as the act of extending it starts the experiment, and I can't deploy two of the same experiments at the same time. It would be really nice to "deploy" experiments without having them actually run for aesthetic/historical purposes. Any help would be appreciated!

6 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

I just started to use Kerbalism, but I have a question. With the new science system, is it possible to "deploy" an experiment (like extending a magnetometer) separate of running the experiment? And as an extension of that, be able to deploy two of the same experiments without running them, as you can't run two of the same experiment? I run into problems with some of my craft, for example, I have a solar probe (based on the real world Helios probe) that has two RPWS antennae, but I can't extend both of them at the same time, as the act of extending it starts the experiment, and I can't deploy two of the same experiments at the same time. It would be really nice to "deploy" experiments without having them actually run for aesthetic/historical purposes. Any help would be appreciated!

The answer is no as it would be two experiments running at the same time on the same craft... although in the VAB you can deploy an experiment without it running... have you tried turning it off using the PAW and then starting the other one?

7 hours ago, theJesuit said:

The answer is no as it would be two experiments running at the same time on the same craft... although in the VAB you can deploy an experiment without it running... have you tried turning it off using the PAW and then starting the other one?

I think his goal is to have them both on at the same time to build a replica of a real world probe.  Currently not possible.  An option on the part to play the animation without activating the scanner might could be added.  or kerbalism could get a tweak that would allow for multiple of the same experiment to be activated.  You know, some experiments might should be combinable like antenna, having multiple running at once increased the data collection rate.  

4 hours ago, eberkain said:

I think his goal is to have them both on at the same time to build a replica of a real world probe.  Currently not possible.  An option on the part to play the animation without activating the scanner might could be added.  or kerbalism could get a tweak that would allow for multiple of the same experiment to be activated.  You know, some experiments might should be combinable like antenna, having multiple running at once increased the data collection rate.  

Yet the goo and scijr (maybe) can be 'deployed' but experiment not started in the VAB

I don't disagree with multiple running at the same time.  If you have a vessel with two of the same experiment you can only use one but split the craft into two and both will work. Good way of getting atmospheric science in fewer early launches by haveING material bays, probe core, battery and a battery repeated four then staged to drift down together.

Peace.

I'd like some clarification on the "Airships" mod incompatibility. Does that refer to both Hooligan Labs and Heisenberg or just one or the other? I can't tell since the reason given is that they use "Atmosphere" with a different density yet neither of them ship with resource definition files. So is this compatibility status outdated?

i found this mod a few days ago, it is by far the best mod in KSP. thanks to this mod ksp is again entertaining me !!

however i would appreciate more detailed and explanatory manual. i have seen some videos of gameplay on youtube, but even those guys making the videos dont know exactly what they are doing sometimes : /

is there any more detailed manual or youtube channel that i missed? for example how to combine command modules and habitable modules together, how to set them up to provide best possible conditions but least consuming the resources? For example at early stage of game i am struggling to combine MK1 command pod and MK1 crew cabin for just one kerbal.

I am learning by mistakes, but very slowly. For example i didnt know that nitrogen is not consumed for making the pressure in cabin. Nitrogen is depleted only when kerbal goes on EVA? i am missing those small explanatory information how it all works 

anyways, i am so hooked up on ksp again. thank very much to whoever is responsible for this mod to exist

Edited by papuchalk

There seems to be an old bug with the nitrogen pressurization system with EVAs. I've dealt with this problem multiple times in earlier versions and it keeps coming back periodically. It has something to do with the SSPX airlock module, I believe. Basically it'll get locked into a state that just continuously dumps nitrogen as it tries to pressurize, even if you disable the habitat or air pump.

It's very intermittent. I'll do missions with the same design several times, then on one of them the bug will strike and it will break that save, even if I restore all of the nitrogen by editing the save file.

Edit: After playing with the save file a bit more, there appears to be a math error in how it is converting nitrogen into atmosphere. Manually restoring the atmosphere seems to fix the state, but it's a very persistent and very annoying bug.

Edited by afafsa

Can someone confirm wether or not HD capacity upgrades are working as intended? Because the fact of the matter remains that

On 2/18/2020 at 8:54 PM, Atlessa said:

My HECS went from 8MB to 8MB [maximum] capacity after buying one of those drive size upgrades.

and I can't shake the feeling that I'm just too stupid to understand what Kerbalism considers a hard drive??

It would be cool if habitat heat management was implemented in this mod. Climatization is an issue if your EC runs out but we should have to use radiators when we have several kerbals and solar panel arrays on board like the ISS does, i.e. the ship can dissipate up to X watts of heat by itself and using 1 EC/s generates Y watts of heat that needs to be dissipated, eventually exploding the craft or at least bottlenecking its capabilities if overheated. Lets most probes function fine but space stations and large craft i.e. manned Duna missions will require radiators.

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

10 hours ago, afafsa said:

There seems to be an old bug with the nitrogen pressurization system with EVAs. I've dealt with this problem multiple times in earlier versions and it keeps coming back periodically. It has something to do with the SSPX airlock module

It's not related to any part, it is a well known bug in Kerbalim. It's being worked on, until then just don't enable or disable habitats in flight.

10 hours ago, Atlessa said:

My HECS went from 8MB to 8MB [maximum] capacity after buying one of those drive size upgrades

It could be that the drive capacity upgrade does not work for the HECS, I don't know any more (too long ago). Did you increase the capacity in the editor?

2 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

It would be cool if habitat heat management was implemented in this mod.

To the degree that this is currently possible, it already is. Regarding heat management and radiators, please read further up.

On 2/23/2020 at 12:05 AM, Drew Kerman said:

I'd like some clarification on the "Airships" mod incompatibility

See here: WildBlueIndustries defines an Atmosphere resource in GameData/WildBlueIndustries/ClassicStockResources/Templates/Storage/Atmosphere.cfg that has a much higher density than the atmosphere used in Kerbalism (0.005 vs. 0.00000125) resulting in command pods carrying masses of atmosphere that can go up to several tons.

6 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

It could be that the drive capacity upgrade does not work for the HECS, I don't know any more (too long ago). Did you increase the capacity in the editor?

I checked ALL my pods and cores, and NONE of them seem to get an upgrade. Yeah, that's why I said MAXIMUM capacity.

I have another issue that may be a bug just as likely as human error:

My Kerbals keep getting CO2 poisoning on Minmus (or longer) missions, I even lost a tourist today, and I can't figure out why. I got scrubbers running on my craft, EVA suits have scrubbers enabled... 

But also; how the f... do I find out HOW MUCH co2 an individual scrubber can process? I could at least somewhat imagine that I might need MORE than the capsules come with, but the interface just doesn't seem to tell me  (also what about EVA?  are they really supposed to run out of 'scrubbing power' after as little as 10 minutes?)

12 hours ago, Atlessa said:

But also; how the f... do I find out HOW MUCH co2 an individual scrubber can process? I could at least somewhat imagine that I might need MORE than the capsules come with, but the interface just doesn't seem to tell me  (also what about EVA?  are they really supposed to run out of 'scrubbing power' after as little as 10 minutes?)

Open the Kerbalism window while in the VAB, that will tell you if scrubbing capacities are adequate for the number of kerbals you have on the vessel. All capsules come with enough scrubbing capacity for as many kerbals as it has seats for. So if your Kerbals still die of CO2 poisoning, my best guess would be that the vessel ran out of electricity during your mission. Did you stay in shadow for a prolonged amount of time, maybe did the mun transfer in the shadow of kerbin? 

13 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Does Kerbalism disable surface samples from oceans? It keeps telling me "invalid situation". I can't fulfill a contract :/

Yes, it does.

What contract is it? Stock, or a mod?

18 hours ago, Atlessa said:

I checked ALL my pods and cores, and NONE of them seem to get an upgrade. Yeah, that's why I said MAXIMUM capacity.

Well, that's unfortunate :( 

The "good" news is: I'm just reworking the drive capacity assignment for probe cores and command pods. If not configured per part (which is a HUGE task, considering the many part mods out there that add command capsules and probe cores), Kerbalism will auto-assign a "good" capacity to all probe cores and pods, based on their position in the tech tree and price of the part. Base capacities for parts that are later in the tech tree will be much higher, but there will no longer be any storage capacity upgrades in the tech tree. You can see the preliminary results here for different setups, modded and non-modded. Remember, the "storage cap." is short for "base storage capacity" and can be increased up to 4 times of that in the editor.

The HECS will get 1250 MB base capacity, which gives it 5000 MB when maxed out.

And 5GB should be enough for everyone :D