[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

Pretty minor as "bugs" go, but the OP of this thread mentions the current version as 3.8 and then has a link to what is "new and noteworthy". That link appears to point to a page that has no information after version 3.4. Yes, I find the actual info about 2 posts above this one.

For all KSP versions from 1.5.x to 1.9.x

• Fix missing closing bracket causing reliability configs to not be applied
3 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I know I'm reaching here but is it possible this could be extended to USI/MKS in the future?

Kerbalism will not work properly if there is any other mod doing resource simulations for unloaded vessels.

TAC-LS (can be used with the ScienceOnly config) and DeepFreeze both use the mod BackgroundResources, and both have the option to disable that in the settings. Kerbalism now forces that setting so that it won't interfere. I don't think that USI/MKS has a similar feature, and even if it did there could be other problems. Didn't investigate for a long time.

11 hours ago, rmaine said:

Pretty minor as "bugs" go, but the OP of this thread mentions the current version as 3.8 and then has a link to what is "new and noteworthy". That link appears to point to a page that has no information after version 3.4. Yes, I find the actual info about 2 posts above this one.

Oh. Will update that some time :)

Did "rated ignitions" thingy got removed with 3.8? My engines last forever atm with no restrictions, I want my hardcore back =)

UPDATE: oh sorry, gotta apply 3.9 right now. My bad didn't pay attention =)

Edited by Cosmonauth
fixed

playing with 1.8.1, is it a bug or a feature that the science box can only store slots but no data?

it's seems weird considering that there are a crapton of upgrades in the tech tree  that says they are for the data

Edited by Flavio hc16

57 minutes ago, Bongotastic said:

Same in 1.9.1. I kind of shrugged it off but should check for a bug report on git 

i just found out that is not applying any upgrades to any of my probe or similar and i can't get why

stock parts seems to work ( apart from the science box) "making history" however dont, pods don't get upgraded

Edited by Flavio hc16

Are there any plans to extend the radiation model to accurately model the ice giants? Specifically, it'd need to support the physical centers of the fields being offset (not just the orientation), as well as possibly quadrupole moments (less of a significant impact on the overall structure so that isn't as necessary).

Heya! Is it intentional that I can click transfer science on a crewed pod and move materials study samples into it, but when I do the same with a experiment return unit, it only transfers files?

Edited by canisin

4 hours ago, canisin said:

Heya! Is it intentional that I can click transfer science on a crewed pod and move materials study samples into it, but when I do the same with a experiment return unit, it only transfers files?

Yep, it's intentional (ran into this playing RSS/RO/RP-1 recently). By default, samples can only be transferred on crewed vessels. There's a difficulty setting to allow transfer of samples on probes if it's causing you serious problems.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

7 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Yep, it's intentional (ran into this playing RSS/RO/RP-1 recently). By default, samples can only be transferred on crewed vessels. There's a difficulty setting to allow transfer of samples on probes if it's causing you serious problems.

Aaah thanks a lot for the information! It makes sense that it is not allowed, too. And I collected the science by sending a crewed vessel to rendezvous with my probe.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:54 AM, WarriorSabe said:

Are there any plans to extend the radiation model to accurately model the ice giants? Specifically, it'd need to support the physical centers of the fields being offset (not just the orientation), as well as possibly quadrupole moments (less of a significant impact on the overall structure so that isn't as necessary).

quadrupole moments: no. These radiation fields look still as they did a year ago (the doughnut shape), they weren't changed with the new radiation model. You can look into Radiation.cfg, look at the radiation belt of earth and how that's set up, and then go and try to find a good model for the ice giants. It's not exactly straight forward, you'll need some imagination and the help of the desmos links in there. Let me know when you've got something you like :)

I'm attempting to convert the NearFutureExploration fuel radial tanks into life support radial tanks for Kerbalism. Works for me but it may need more robust MM test conditions for mod availability. I did not bring xenon and helium as they are available in the original fuel tanks. This allowed me to divorce the texture from the resource. I multiplied Nertea's baseVolume by 2.25 assuming Kerbalism wants liters. Still need to look into costs and tech tree. Since it is my first attempt at an MM patch, appreciate comments.

// ---------------------------------------------------------------
// NearFutureExploration radial tanks modified for Kerbalism
// Duplicate radial fuel tanks to turn into life support tanks
+PART[nfex-fueltank-radial-small-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureExploration]
{
	@name = nfex-lifesupport-radial-small-1
	@title = MLT-LS20 Radial Pressurized Tank
	@description = A radial tubular pressurized tank for life support systems. Can contain oxygen, carbon dioxide, nitrogen or amonia.
}
+PART[nfex-fueltank-radial-small-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureExploration]
{
	@name = nfex-lifesupport-radial-small-2
	@title = MLT-LS10 Radial Pressurized Tank
	@description = A radial short tubular pressurized tank for life support systems. Can contain oxygen, carbon dioxide, nitrogen or amonia.
}
+PART[nfex-fueltank-radial-small-3]:NEEDS[NearFutureExploration]
{
	@name = nfex-lifesupport-radial-small-3
	@title = MLT-LS5 Radial Pressurized Tank
	@description = A radial small spherical pressurized tank for life support systems. Can contain oxygen, carbon dioxide, nitrogen or amonia.
}
+PART[nfex-fueltank-radial-tiny-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureExploration]
{
	@name = nfex-lifesupport-radial-tiny-1
	@title = MLT-LS2 Radial Pressurized Tank
	@description = A radial tiny spherical pressurized tank for life support systems. Can contain oxygen, carbon dioxide, nitrogen or amonia.
}
// Rebuild resource and texture switchers, modify common values
@PART[nfex-lifesupport-radial-*]:NEEDS[NearFutureExploration]
{
	@category = Utility
	!MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch] {}
	!MODULE[ModuleB9DisableTransform] {}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
		moduleID = coatingSwitch
		switcherDescription = Coating
		switcherDescriptionPlural = Coating Options
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name= Gold
			title = Gold Foil
      			primaryColor = #fccb0a
      			secondaryColor = #fccb0a
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name= Silver
			title = Silver Foil
      			primaryColor = #cecece
      			secondaryColor = #cecece
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name= Metal
			title = Bare Metal
      			primaryColor = #999999
      			secondaryColor = #999999
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name= Painted
			title = Painted White
      			primaryColor = #ffffff
      			secondaryColor = #ffffff
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
		moduleID = tankSwitch
		switcherDescription = Content
		switcherDescriptionPlural = Content Options
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name= Oxygen
			title = Oxygen
			tankType = Oxygen
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name= Nitrogen
			title = Nitrogen
			tankType = Nitrogen
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name= CarbonDioxide
			title = Carbon Dioxide
			tankType = CarbonDioxide
			percentFilled = 0
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name= Ammonia
			title = Ammonia
			tankType = Ammonia
			percentFilled = 0
		}
	}
}
// Modify values for individual parts
@PART[nfex-lifesupport-radial-small-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureExploration]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch],0
	{
		@SUBTYPE,0 {transform = Tank1875_RadialLarge_Foil}
		@SUBTYPE,1 {transform = Tank1875_RadialLarge_FoilSilver}
		@SUBTYPE,2 {transform = Tank1875_RadialLarge_Metal}
		@SUBTYPE,3 {transform = Tank1875_RadialLarge_RCS}
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch],1
	{
		baseVolume = 90
	}	
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9DisableTransform
		transform = Tank1875_RadialLarge_Xe
		transform = Tank1875_RadialLarge_Ar
		transform = Tank1875_RadialLarge_Li
	}
}
@PART[nfex-lifesupport-radial-small-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureExploration]
{
	{
		@SUBTYPE,0 {transform = Tank1875_RadialMed_Foil}
		@SUBTYPE,1 {transform = Tank1875_RadialMed_FoilSilver}
		@SUBTYPE,2 {transform = Tank1875_RadialMed_Metal}
		@SUBTYPE,3 {transform = Tank1875_RadialMed_RCS}
	}
	{
		baseVolume = 45
	}
	MODULE
	{
		transform = Tank1875_RadialMed_Xe
		transform = Tank1875_RadialMed_Ar
		transform = Tank1875_RadialMed_Li
	}
}
@PART[nfex-lifesupport-radial-small-3]:NEEDS[NearFutureExploration]
{
	{
		@SUBTYPE,0 {transform = Tank1875_RadialSmall_Foil}
		@SUBTYPE,1 {transform = Tank1875_RadialSmall_FoilSilver}
		@SUBTYPE,2 {transform = Tank1875_RadialSmall_Metal}
		@SUBTYPE,3 {transform = Tank1875_RadialSmall_RCS}
	}
	{
		baseVolume = 20
	}
	MODULE
	{
		transform = Tank1875_RadialSmall_Xe
		transform = Tank1875_RadialSmall_Ar
		transform = Tank1875_RadialSmall_Li
	}
}
@PART[nfex-lifesupport-radial-tiny-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureExploration]
{
	{
		@SUBTYPE,0 {transform = ProbeTankRadial_GoldFoil}
		@SUBTYPE,1 {transform = ProbeTankRadial_SilverFoil}
		@SUBTYPE,2 {transform = ProbeTankRadial_Metal}
		@SUBTYPE,3 {transform = ProbeTankRadial_RCS}
	}
	{
		baseVolume = 5
	}
	MODULE
	{
		transform = ProbeTankRadial_Xenon
		transform = ProbeTankRadial_Ar
		transform = ProbeTankRadial_Li
	}
}

I also tried to start duplicating and converting the functions of Nertea's StationPartsExpansionRedux. Wanted to create a supply module using the PXL-3 storm shelter, thinking of oxygen and nitrogen left in the tankage section, and food and water in the remaining pressurized vessel.  It works, but I'm left with odd positioning of resources in the menu + some science additions I didn't want. I'm unsure about adding habitable volume to a part where I set crew capacity to 0, and what that volume should be when supplies will be in it. Should I use the whole pressurized vessel volume or just the central corridor volume that remains empty? I also ended with under utilizing the external tankage volume. Any thoughts?

// StationPartsExpansionRedux modified for Kerbalism
// Duplicate PXL-3 to use as a supply module
// Remove science and capacity parameters before Kerbalism additions
+PART[sspx-habitation-375-3]:NEEDS[StationPartsExpansionRedux]:BEFORE[KerbalismDefault]
{
	@name = sspx-supply-375-S
	@title = PXL-S 'Larder' Large Supply Module
	@description = When cramming accessible supplies is necessary for a long duration mission.
	@CrewCapacity = 0
	!INTERNAL[sspx-habitation-375-3-iva] {}
	!MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment] {}
	!MODULE[ModuleScienceContainer] {}
	!MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[tankSwitch]] {}
	!MODULE[ModuleCryoTank] {}
	// Inner total volume 20.5 m3 
	// Possible pressurized volume is 9.2 m3 (2.45m diameter)
	// Regular corridor volume is 2.2 m3 (1.2m diameter)
	// Narrow corridor volume is 1.1 m3 (0.85 diameter)
	// Interior storage is max 8.1m3
	// External tankage is at 70% packing roughly 7.5 m3
	// 10 years  supplies for 4 kerbals
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Food
		amount = 4560		// 1 unit/liter
		maxAmount = 4560	// 1 unit/liter
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Water
		amount = 2340		// 1 unit/liter
		maxAmount = 2340	// 1 unit/liter
	}
	// internal storage 6900 of 8100 liters used	
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxygen
		amount = 636000		// 200 unit/liter
		maxAmount = 900000	// 200 unit/liter
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Nitrogen
		amount = 9000		// 180 unit/liter
		maxAmount = 90000	// 180 unit/liter
	}
	// external tankage 3230 of 7500 liters used (max 5000 of 7500)
}
// For things that depend on Kerbalism do it after
@PART[sspx-supply-375-S]:NEEDS[StationPartsExpansionRedux]:AFTER[KerbalismDefault]
{
	%MODULE[Habitat]
	{
		%volume = 2.2
	}
}

Bluedog has new RCS-Engines (part-name: bluedog_Gemini_OAMSThruster, ingame-name: Leo-OMAS-G "Gus" Manuevering Thruster), which are the primary engines for the Gemini spaceship and RCS Thrusters in one. Here are problems with reliability. The Engines have a max ignition of 2 (with high quality) and explodes/fail nearly every flight.

Edited by Cheesecake

@Sir Mortimer

First off all: this mod is absolute a unit!

Actually, I am using TAC-Life mod. But even if I dont have much time to play KSP I would like to have some more challenges. This was the reasons I found your mod. And boy, this mod offers a lot of challenges!  And THAT is the also reasons I can not use it (but I want parts of it!).

I really would like to have the "radiation" and "living room" aspects in my game but your resources circle is way to complex FOR ME.

Now my question: is there a possibility to have a "option panel" where I could choose which parts of your awesome mod I could use?

For example:

Activating: *) habitats, *) radiation and *) psychological needs

Deactivating: *) resources (and use TAC), *) reliability

That would help me and maybe also other players to learn and get into your wonderful (but for me a little too complex) mod.

Keep up the great work!

Hello community!

I am trying to get into Kerbalism. I am a sucker for long range vessels. With my actual life support mod (TAC) this is pretty simple. You fly to a other planet, you land, you mine ore, you convert ore into liquid fuel. Now you have a vessel with unlimited range.

1) How do I process liquid fuel in Kerbalism, or, to be more precise: what parts do I need for an autonomous, long range vessel?

2) "Normal" when I use the "Convert O Tron" I see the thermal heat production. How can I see thermal production of an part in Kerbalism to take the right amount of thermal control units?

Kind regards

Edited by WolfS

Hey so I'm pretty new to modding and started getting serious after learning of this mod. Sounds incredible. 

But this is such a complex game and such a complex mod that I struggle to find precise compatibility information when there are so many versions and stuff,. When I installed Kerbalism, it had me install the Community Tech Tree mod as well, which ended up giving me a whole bunch of empty nodes. I also had Stockalike Station Parts Redux installed. I'm trying to figure out my best option, because the empty nodes are frustrating and poorly laid out. I like the SIMPLEX Tech Tree mod- but it has a kerbalism version that seems to water down the Kerbalism mod quite a bit. 

So my questions are as follows:

1. If I remove the Community Tech Tree mod, replace it with the regular SIMPLEX Tech Tree, will Kerbalism still work?
  2. Is Stockalike Compatible with Kerbalism?
  3. If it is, does anyone know if Stockalike will work with the SIMPLEX mod as well (I'm going to ask this over at the Stockalike thread as well)?
  4. Is the SIMPLEX Kerbalism mod a solution, or creating another problem?

Sorry this is so long, I'm trying to figure out how to get everything working before I devote a lot of time into a save that will end up breaking. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read.

6 hours ago, theicon32 said:

Hey so I'm pretty new to modding and started getting serious after learning of this mod. Sounds incredible. 

But this is such a complex game and such a complex mod that I struggle to find precise compatibility information when there are so many versions and stuff,. When I installed Kerbalism, it had me install the Community Tech Tree mod as well, which ended up giving me a whole bunch of empty nodes. I also had Stockalike Station Parts Redux installed. I'm trying to figure out my best option, because the empty nodes are frustrating and poorly laid out. I like the SIMPLEX Tech Tree mod- but it has a kerbalism version that seems to water down the Kerbalism mod quite a bit. 

So my questions are as follows:

1. If I remove the Community Tech Tree mod, replace it with the regular SIMPLEX Tech Tree, will Kerbalism still work?
  2. Is Stockalike Compatible with Kerbalism?
  3. If it is, does anyone know if Stockalike will work with the SIMPLEX mod as well (I'm going to ask this over at the Stockalike thread as well)?
  4. Is the SIMPLEX Kerbalism mod a solution, or creating another problem?

Sorry this is so long, I'm trying to figure out how to get everything working before I devote a lot of time into a save that will end up breaking. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read.

If you have a fresh installation and no stockparts removed there shouldn`t be empty nodes with community tech tree. I think there is another mod which occurs this issue. TechTrees should have no affect to kerbalism itself. They only organize which parts are in which nodes.

I like the SIMPLEX Tech Tree mod- but it has a kerbalism version that seems to water down the Kerbalism mod quite a bit. 

There is no separate SIMPLEX-Techtree for Kerbalism. Don`t mix up SIMPLEX Techtree and SIMPLEX Kerbalism. They do completly other things. Simplex for Kerbalism is only a config for Kerbalism like the KerbalismConfig in your GameData. It changes many but not the techtree.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:53 AM, Sir Mortimer said:

quadrupole moments: no. These radiation fields look still as they did a year ago (the doughnut shape), they weren't changed with the new radiation model. You can look into Radiation.cfg, look at the radiation belt of earth and how that's set up, and then go and try to find a good model for the ice giants. It's not exactly straight forward, you'll need some imagination and the help of the desmos links in there. Let me know when you've got something you like :)

I know how to use the radiation model; there's currently no key to make the magnetic axis not pass through the core like I was talking about, just to change the coordinates of magnetic north.

For example, the closest Neptune's magnetic axis passes to its core is still 55% of the way to the surface, and Uranus about a third the way to the surface, since they're produced by the superionic ice in the mantle.

18 hours ago, WarriorSabe said:

I know how to use the radiation model; there's currently no key to make the magnetic axis not pass through the core like I was talking about, just to change the coordinates of magnetic north.

For example, the closest Neptune's magnetic axis passes to its core is still 55% of the way to the surface, and Uranus about a third the way to the surface, since they're produced by the superionic ice in the mantle.

You can offset the center of the magnetic field along the axis, but yes: the axis goes through the core.