Life

dave1904

Since we will be able to discover other star systems in KSP2 what about life? I am sceptic about the topic in real life but KSP is all about dreams. What would you guys think about finding some animals on other planets? Not space fairing civilizations but space cows or something like that. I don't need something complex but a green planet somewhere with random animal models walking around. I have been looking at all the topics and so far have not found a single topic about it. Am I blind or is life not important in KSP?

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

Since we will be able to discover other star systems in KSP2 what about life? I am sceptic about the topic in real life but KSP is all about dreams. What would you guys think about finding some animals on other planets? Not space fairing civilizations but space cows or something like that. I don't need something complex but a green planet somewhere with random animal models walking around. I have been looking at all the topics and so far have not found a single topic about it. Am I blind or is life not important in KSP?

Personally, I actually don't want animals walking around, kerbals are fine at the KSC but not animals. Plant groundscatter, though is fine.

EDIT: I am all for experiments that search for microbes, maybe even a little flavor text would be nice too.

Edited by DunaManiac

Why not.... especially if they crank up the silliness while doing it. Like a Mars/Duna like planet but in the zone to retain water and atomsphere. With Kangaroos bounding around grassy planes.

Planet would not have as high a life support overhead of duna but would still need some to support kerbals.

I'm already surprised laythe doesnt have life but I am totally down for plants and microbes, maybe even like fish or muscles on coasts. But too much will probably bog down performance.

If this does enter the game I hope it's not currently a priority though, maybe include it through a patch... I just want a stable platform to start

8 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I'm already surprised laythe doesnt have life but I am totally down for plants and microbes, maybe even like fish or muscles on coasts. But too much will probably bog down performance.

If this does enter the game I hope it's not currently a priority though, maybe include it through a patch... I just want a stable platform to start

performance shouldn't be an issue. I dont mean 1000s of animals but maybe a heard of 10 or so that can spawn close to were you land. A stable platform is all I want myself with axial tilt. Axial tilt is my personal must have. 

16 hours ago, dave1904 said:

I would bet on there being organized life somewhere else in the real universe.  Where and what it would look like (we may not recognize it at first glance), I have no idea, but Earth is not *that* unique.  Intelligent life - especially intelligent life close enough for us to communicate with - could be a longshot however.

For KSP, I believe there's been an emphatic 'no comment' on whether there's life on any planet besides Kerbin.  I wouldn't mind finding something along the line of space cows - though realistically if you have space cows you also have space lions/wolves to feed on them, and the whole rest of the ecosystem.  A plant covered world (with some fish?) would be a lot easier to set up, and still realistic.

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

I would bet on there being organized life somewhere else in the real universe.  Where and what it would look like (we may not recognize it at first glance), I have no idea, but Earth is not *that* unique.  Intelligent life - especially intelligent life close enough for us to communicate with - could be a longshot however.

For KSP, I believe there's been an emphatic 'no comment' on whether there's life on any planet besides Kerbin.  I wouldn't mind finding something along the line of space cows - though realistically if you have space cows you also have space lions/wolves to feed on them, and the whole rest of the ecosystem.  A plant covered world (with some fish?) would be a lot easier to set up, and still realistic.

If there is life, it would actually most likely be very similar to life here on earth. The universe is made up from the same elements as earth and we do know the fundamental building blocks for life.

I do not need a planet with an ecosystem. Far to complicate. Kerbin has kerbals and we imagine the rest so one or even two animals would be more than enough for me if it were to be added. As for space fairing civilizations. I would love a KSP little big planet crossover but sackmen just do not have the right biology to exist in the kerbal universe :( 

30 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

If there is life, it would actually most likely be very similar to life here on earth. The universe is made up from the same elements as earth and we do know the fundamental building blocks for life.

It's possible that life on other planets could use different compounds and elements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry

or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Dirkidirk
I don't know

For me any life forms discovered in KSP (1 or 2) should be limited to microbes etc. (or small 'bugs' at most)  That give nothing more than an increased variety of science discovery reports and opportunities to observe them further 'for science'.  Interaction with larger and intelligent animals is out of scope IMO.

3 hours ago, dave1904 said:

The base chemistry might be the same (and might not be), but everything else is likely to be different.  All life on Earth is DNA/RNA based, for instance, but there's no reason a different structure for a similar purpose couldn't have evolved on another planet.  (There's also several known possible DNA bases that aren't used, and the molecules have a 'handedness' in how they fold, both of which are likely completely random in what choice was made by early life on Earth.)

Part of the issue is that until we see life that's not related to us, our definition of 'life' isn't actually all that well defined.  We've basically worked back from 'humans, dogs, and cats are alive' to encompass everything we've found on this planet, but that means we know we're making some assumptions about what it is we're talking about, and there are likely assumptions we don't realize we're making.  Until we find something *not related* to us, we won't fully understand those assumptions.

I believe it would be very fun to discover other forms of life - as in completely different chemical makeup. Hydrocarbon-based microorganisms on a Titan-equivalent, for example. Or simple organisms (think space plankton) feeding off of radiation or electric charge in the upper atmosphere of a gas giant - can be either water based or ammonia based, like in Elite:Dangerous.

And don't restrict it to a planet's flora being restricted to chlorophyll-using plants, either. Have purple plants, adapted to the high-radiation environment of an Earth-like world orbiting an F-type or M-type star! Imagine plants that don't perform photosynthesis, but use radiation instead. How awesome would that be? Tidally locked planets with a thin ring of habitable surface, cloaked in eternal twilight!

Paging @Galileo - any thoughts? They do expect you to outdo them by week two, after all. :P

Edited by Chakkoty