Coder Request - KAS(no-EVA+VAB) or animated attachment nodes

bcink

What's needed:
The ability to animate a part and have an attachment node move with the animation.
Pistons perform this function but the robotic module implementation is too rudimentary; a single object moves vertical with possibility for slave objects beneath it.
We need to be able to animate an object and have the attachment node move along with the object's animation.

Why this is needed:
Skycrane drops
Extending docking ports
Tethers

The closest implementation to this is functional within Kerbal Attachment System, but the connections require EVA with a Kerbal and connecting these things

Partial solution:

Auto-"docking" of the KAS winch + connector - this would at least allow for connecting up with things (ship tethers / cranes) and then tethering off to a distance without needing to EVA to make it happen

Better solution:

Auto-docking of KAS winch + connector as well as the ability to connect these parts in VAB before launch - this will allow ship tethers, cranes, skycrane drops and extending docking ports

Best Solution:

ModuleAnimateTotallyNotGenericPhysicsAndUnityGod - Attachment nodes referenced by transform name will move with an animation during the animation sequence (object physics of main and connected objects needing to be accounted for)

I realize the challenges and implications of this and why it has not been done, but that doesn't change the need :}

Unfortunately, neither of these fulfills the ask.

The docking ports there function more like extending docking tubes, where you can play any animation you want, but the part isn't dockable until the animation is played. You can't dock and then have an animation play and have the node move. (Can't dock to an extended tube and then contract it with a ship connected to the "dockingnode."

And, regardless of the complexity of the decouple animation, the need is for objects to be connected while animated.

Have no idea if either of these are anything close to being able to do anything like you want, but have you poked them?

https://github.com/blowfishpro/B9AnimationModules

and BDAnimationModules ... check the forks... buncha people have forked/updated it ...
Raidernick and LGG seem to have the most recent changes/updates ... vOv

https://github.com/BahamutoD/BDAnimationModules/network/members

BD Armory has some of what you are looking for

https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDArmory/blob/master/BDArmory/Modules/ModuleMovingPart.cs

The above is part of the turret attach node deal that allows for mounting parts to a turret (machine guns etc...) and having them rotate with the turret ... not sure where the other code snippets are but they should be somewhere in BD Armory Continued

Hope this helps

5 hours ago, Mecripp said:

You might look at 

Holy crap!!!! This is truly a hidden gem to say the least. The implications of this are incredible!!! And the best part is, it works 100% exactly as described in its glorious simplicity - test tether docking port was 100% functional immediately.

and gravity tether test was 100% successful as well:

I guess I'll be kept busy for a while.

Thank you!

Sad revelation today.... although the parts can move provided they are initially connected in the VAB, when the vessels are not attached and then they dock in-game, the animation no longer moves the object.

This appears to be a recognized limitation with reference attach nodes (like those used for docking port functionality) in the scripting per the following snippet:

Transform referenceTransform = GetReferenceTransform();

// If this attach node is defined in the cfg, then bail out now, it will not be movable
            if (referenceTransform == null)
            {
                if (debugPeriodic)
                    printf("Skipping cfg based node: %s", stackAttachNode.id);
                return;
            }

I continue to believe this implementation is more difficult than it lets on to be.

The parts are created, so at least they are ready if this ever gets figured out or another solution comes to mind...

GKND1o5.pngmaBfh24.png

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I believe the problem here is that to make nodes movable, they must be defined in the model, rather than in the cfg file. So if you update your model to use that system, maybe it will work!

I tried to create a part like this now, but I was unable to get it fully running. Funny thing tho - the stock mk2DockingPort.cfg has a docking module that uses this system already. Actually when I loaded it in the VAB, I didn't see any docking node point...
Seems I have some mod issues to solve with 1.9 first... maybe one of mine, or another one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.