Spaceplanes or rockets - which do you prefer and why?

Chakkoty

Spaceplane vs Rocket poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more FUN to you?

• Spaceplanes!
    • Rockets!
  2. 2. Which do you find more PRACTICAL?

• Spaceplanes!
    • Rockets!

I haven't used spaceplanes a lot, but I find them to be more practical for getting payload into orbit efficiently (or at least out of the atmosphere, where it can circularize  with efficient vacuum-optimized engines like the Wolfhound).

However, I am very impatient and I like big booms. So, for anyything other than orbital delivery, I'll probably use rockets. It's easier to build a bigger rocket for a heavier payload than to reinvent the wheel with a new spaceplane whenever your current design can't handle the increased payload mass.

In the long term, though, I'll probably go for something of a mix between starship concepts and spaceshuttle: vertical, booster-assisted takeoff, gliding during reentry and then a vertical landing. Big F...alcon? Rocket with more wings.

The space planes are one my favorite things, they are much harder to build and setup properly than a rocket due aerodynamics,

but once we make it, once they are reusable and can be refueled and can also transport big and heavy cargo's.

• -This one for example can take-off normally
  • -Go to orbit
  • -Go to Mun land on Mun in VSTOL style or any planet in a 70,000 deltaV range.
  • -Have payload to setup a colony and a remote factory to build more vessels...
  • -Return to Kerbin
  • -Do a re-entry and ready to go again if necessary, once don't lose parts in the process in stages and land normally or activate the emergency landing and land by parachutes.

oQEX8JR.png

yQPWAvv.png

Edited by pmborg

I'm not voting because I find both to be fun and practical, depending on what I'm trying to do.

Rockets are easier to build and fly, so I use them for most missions. Spaceplanes are better if I need to return something fragile to Kerbin.

Planes are my preferred way to ship bases built using the Kerbal Planetary Base Systems KPBS mod. I put KPBS wheels on the base, attach the base to a docking port inside a plane cargo bay, then roll the base out the cargo bay ramp after landing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.