If i have Kopernicus mod, can I change Kerbin's orbital eccentricity and inclination or will it break the game?

22 hours ago, hanhan658 said:

I want to tilt kerbin's orbit and som other bodies' orbits but if i edit kerbin's orbit will it break the game?

Certainty! If you want to change a body's orbit, you need to make a .cfg file in gamedata somewhere. Here is an example config in case you don't know how to make one.

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Koperniucs]

{

@Body[Put the name of the body you want to edit here]

{

@Orbit

{

eccentricity = (value here)

inclination = (value here)

}

}
}

Edited by DunaManiac
Fixed Colon

The syntax is all mixed up, but you can easily find it (@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]). Also you should add a procent sign in front of the values, this way you won't end up with "two" eccentries (and kopernicus picking last only).

But besides that: be careful with high eccentric orbit. In reality (and the physics give that) the sphere of influence is based on the actual distance between a planet and the larger body. When you get closer the sphere of influence reduces. However ksp uses a single value for the soi, so weird things might happen, where the game "thinks" you're inside another SOI,  but your acceleration actually drops. This can lead in bad cases to jumping around, and in even worse cases to a system where you leave a soi, only to join next frame and leave again, getting "stuck" due to the massive difference in velocity.

Edited by paul23

18 hours ago, paul23 said:

The syntax is all mixed up, but you can easily find it (@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]). Also you should add a procent sign in front of the values, this way you won't end up with "two" eccentries (and kopernicus picking last only).

But besides that: be careful with high eccentric orbit. In reality (and the physics give that) the sphere of influence is based on the actual distance between a planet and the larger body. When you get closer the sphere of influence reduces. However ksp uses a single value for the soi, so weird things might happen, where the game "thinks" you're inside another SOI,  but your acceleration actually drops. This can lead in bad cases to jumping around, and in even worse cases to a system where you leave a soi, only to join next frame and leave again, getting "stuck" due to the massive difference in velocity.

Sorry about that, I am dumb, and new to modding with Kopernicus as well.

22 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

Certainty! If you want to change a body's orbit, you need to make a .cfg file in gamedata somewhere. Here is an example config in case you don't know how to make one.

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Koperniucs]

{

@Body[Put the name of the body you want to edit here]

{

@Orbit

{

eccentricity = (value here)

inclination = (value here)

}

}
}

"somewhere" where specifically should I place the config and what shold i name it if it's for several objects?

1 minute ago, hanhan658 said:

"somewhere" where specifically should I place the config and what shold i name it if it's for several objects?

By somewhere, I mean anywhere in the GameData Folder, you could have it just in GameData, or in a custom folder inside GameData. As for the name, it is up to you. Hope that this helps :)

On 12/21/2019 at 1:03 PM, hanhan658 said:

Basically, it can be anywhere in GameData you like.  As long as it's either in that folder or in some sub-folder thereof, and is named with the .cfg file extension, then it ought to work.

If you'd like to see a working example of how this sort of tweaking comes together, you might like to check out the Snarkiverse mod, specifically the config files that come with it.  That mod just re-jiggers the solar system in various ways, adjusting the orbits of stock bodies, so it's pretty much the same type of thing you're trying to do.  You may like to look at the file Mun.cfg in particular-- it adjusts the Mun's orbital size, eccentricity, and inclination, so it may be a good model to work from.

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2019 at 6:35 PM, Snark said:

Basically, it can be anywhere in GameData you like.  As long as it's either in that folder or in some sub-folder thereof, and is named with the .cfg file extension, then it ought to work.

If you'd like to see a working example of how this sort of tweaking comes together, you might like to check out the Snarkiverse mod, specifically the config files that come with it.  That mod just re-jiggers the solar system in various ways, adjusting the orbits of stock bodies, so it's pretty much the same type of thing you're trying to do.  You may like to look at the file Mun.cfg in particular-- it adjusts the Mun's orbital size, eccentricity, and inclination, so it may be a good model to work from.

I did just that with the principia mod installed but it didn't work cuz it didn't want to overwrite the default principia orbit configurations what should i do?

1 hour ago, hanhan658 said:

I did just that with the principia mod installed but it didn't work cuz it didn't want to overwrite the default principia orbit configurations what should i do?

No clue. Principia is black magic to me, I've never run it and have no idea if it's compatible with Kopernicus. Sorry I can't help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.