Patch 1.8.1.2694 screws up the new 1.8.0 default planetary textures

Squad did a lot to publish just how much they'd worked to improve the textures of the Mun, Minmus etc for 1.8.0. However, the moment I updated to 1.8.1.2694 (I just ran the update patch), I noticed all these textures had defaulted to a far worse state, like they were pre-1.8.0. I thought it was a mod causing it, so I temporarily removed all mods and ran 1.8.1 again. I loaded in a ship orbiting the Mun, and sure enough the Mun texture is terrible: it's heavily tiled, and looks pre-1.8.0. Minmus' texture is just as bad, as though one texture has been used for all surfaces, be they flat or inclined. The point is they are NOT how they're supposed to look since Squad did the work on them for 1.8.0. I also noticed that these texture changes were reflected in the KSP title screen. Again, the Mun texture looks pre-1.8.0. If this is visible in the title screen then does that suggest it is indeed the patch at fault? I cannot see anything in my configuration that could account for these changes. It's as if this patch has literally undone all the texture work in 1.8.0.:unsure:

All these screenshots were taken in a modless KSP 1.8.1.2694 build.

Mun

Minmus

Title screen

I've been playing 1.8.0 for a few months, and know what the new improved Mun, Minmus textures look like. Then, for some inexplicable reason, the textures have changed, even in vanilla 1.8.0, to low res, low quality textures. And I haven't a damn clue why. The textures are supposed to look like they do in this KSP YouTube video, posted 4 months ago:

But instead of looking like this, they all look like lower quality, pre-1.8.0 textures. And what really confuses me is that even after starting a brand new game in a new install of 1.8.0 (after unpacking the zip file) the textures are STILL not what they're supposed to be like in 1.8.0. Instead of how they appear in the video, the Mun texture appears like this: Mun (modless)

Am I going crazy? I've been playing 1.8.0 with these new planetary textures for months...and then suddenly they have changed to low res textures. While I am playing the game! What the heck is going on?

Probably some kind of "revert" to default when installing new version", I had the exact same issue here, as already mentioned.

I don't care much about sparkles and twinkles, hence I set the reflection stuff to low, you maybe want to increase those settings though maybe?

Edited by VoidSquid

I feel so damn stupid. :unsure:This is what happens when you go without sleep. It took me 1 minute to realise the 'Terrain Shader' quality was set to 'Low'. Setting it back to 'High' solved the 'problem'. Judas priest, what a noob. Thanks for all input, guys, sorry I wasted your time. Sheesh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.