Sea Dragon launch featured in 'For All Mankind'

DDE

8 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

The first stage engine of the Sea Dragon was very much a Big Dumb Booster engine, so it may have that much particulates in it.

Well, it never existed. But since it was designed to be hydrolox, there really isn't any place for particulate smoke to come from. Lot of steam, though.

Edited by mikegarrison

17 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

The first stage engine of the Sea Dragon was very much a Big Dumb Booster engine, so it may have that much particulates in it.

But seriously guys, stop nitpicking about the plume, that's an awesome clip!

It's a solid plume, not even a dirty, F-1 RP-1 plume. All the CGI people had to do was show up in any rocket community on the net, post a pic of their WIP, and inside 5 seconds they would have people linking what it should look like.

About the plume:

The first stage in the '62 conceptualized design was pressure fed Kero/LOX that likely would be inefficient and produce a lot of particulate, also in this alternate universe it is quite possible they design it to be solid fueled first stage instead.  

Plutonium: 

Perhaps for something else nuclear powered or atomic bomb powered :wink: 

Mixed U235/Pu239 reactors or fast neutron Pu239/U238 could also be a possibility, and of course Pu238 for RTG power, but considering the shows bent for the grand I've got my fingers crossed to see a manned Orion! 

Edited by RuBisCO

• 2 weeks later...

So that 350 MN liquid nitrogen cooled and nitrogen pressure fed engine simply nothing could compare at least in raw thrust! It would take 50 F1A engines to match that and less tnen 40 could be sqeeze under the 23 m diameter sea dragon so F1A engines simply would not do. A solid rocket much bigger then the biggest at the time (AJ-260-2, 6.6 m wide 17.7 MN, never launched but ground tested once) could have fit under 23 meter and match or exceeded 350 MN, but would be fueled on land and have to be floated out there, which being much denser then kerosene/lox (which would be fuel up at sea to help the rocket reach vertical orientation) would make floating the thing out to sea impossible. 

10 hours ago, RuBisCO said:

350 MN liquid nitrogen cooled and nitrogen pressure fed engine simply nothing could compare at least in raw thrust! It would take 50 F1A engines to match that and less tnen 40 could be sqeeze under the 23 m diameter sea dragon

If it's about Sea Dragon, in 1963 it's 1st stage "was" methane pressure fed (https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19880069339.pdf, page Ii-A-4).

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

If it's about Sea Dragon, in 1963 it's 1st stage "was" methane pressure fed (https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19880069339.pdf, page Ii-A-4).

Well I was reading the wiki, which is clearly inaccurate. I should have know that because ~15 years ago I made BS articles on Wikipedia and some of them are still up there!

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9733.0;a

Edited by RuBisCO

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.