How to disable the rich editor and show the bbcode of posts?

paul23

Well quite often when I try to insert text I accidentally forgot to remove the formatting of the pasted text. Thus I have weird formatting in posts. Then if I wish to later edit it I have to find everywhere in the buttonbar (using mouse, tabs apparently don't work, this is silly) what format is where. On top of that some things cannot be edited anymore

(anything between [code] tags). The most annoying this is when trying to insert a hyperlink. In some way the forum always makes a pasted link a hyperlink. Thus you get a lot of text that looks like:

[url=https://www.google.com]search engine[/url]

So can I stop using this silly rich text editor and just use bbcode? (better would of course be a markdown flavour like github and stackexchange family uses, but that's another topic altogether)

EDIT: I just realize the engine is even worse: it tries to fix things where I deliberately left unclosed tags so they should be interpreted as text like any sane xml parser.

Edited by paul23

13 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Sadly you can't.

I suggest you do what I do: generally avoid anything other than plain text, and when you want more copy another post that does something similar.

And never, ever use tables.

I work a lot with code, and most of my posts will be things like codeboxes and other ways to have monospace text - or mathematical notation. When we joined this forum I clearly remember no rich editor being in place. So the code should still be there, and it must be just a way to undo some kind of update to the forum software.

7 minutes ago, paul23 said:

I work a lot with code, and most of my posts will be things like codeboxes and other ways to have monospace text - or mathematical notation. When we joined this forum I clearly remember no rich editor being in place. So the code should still be there, and it must be just a way to undo some kind of update to the forum software.

You can sometimes get away with just typing the bbcode you're used to and then submitting, but a lot of times it won't work.

What you remember is the old forum software. When they changed software (for security reasons, it was old) we lost our glorious BBCode.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:08 PM, 5thHorseman said:

You can sometimes get away with just typing the bbcode you're used to and then submitting, but a lot of times it won't work.

What you remember is the old forum software. When they changed software (for security reasons, it was old) we lost our glorious BBCode.

Hmm I wonder: is there a converter to allow me to enable editing like it's stackexchange/github? To convert markdown to forum posts, and also vice versa? Especially the editing is abysmal.

6 hours ago, paul23 said:

Hmm I wonder: is there a converter to allow me to enable editing like it's stackexchange/github? To convert markdown to forum posts, and also vice versa? Especially the editing is abysmal.

My understanding is that there is not a reliable way to make BBcode work on ICS-powered forums (other forums I frequent run the same software package and this is a persistent complaint there as well)

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

7 hours ago, paul23 said:

One-way, maybe. The clipboard functions support rich text, so you could compose Markdown on GitHub, then switch to preview mode and copy/paste it into the forum.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.