When gravity turning, my prograde pitches up for no reason, and looses control shortly after.

So, when I'm doing a gravity turn.  I always have SAS on, I know how to get into orbit and do a gravity turn.  Though, recently when I've been doing a gravity turn.  My pro grade pitches slightly up, note that i'm not giving any input for it to be doing that.  Not sure why, and like I said.  I've done this so many times before, and i've done it really good.  Though now that I do a gravity turn, I have this problem.  I usually use stock KSP rockets as I'm not very creative.  And if its built by the KSP team, its impossible to be a design flaw.  The only thing I add onto the stock ksp rockets is the mechjeb case which I usually place at the command pod.  I'm not quite sure as to why this might be happening.  I'll be sure to answer any questions you guys have!

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

If possible I'd like to see a video of your problem. There are about 100 definitions of a "proper gravity turn" so there are too many ways yours could be acting normally but unexpectedly, to even make a guess right now.

Yeah!  Sure thing, i'll record it.  Though, like you said.  There are a ton of other ways a gravity turn could be done, so mine might look different or wrong without me knowing that it is wrong.  Also, like I said I use stock vessels since I'm really not creative.  I'll be using the kerbal 1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X1V5smpN2-XPOeX35-J9jFApklRXyIpu/view?usp=sharing

Edited by ItsSky

4 hours ago, Signo said:

The stock Rockets are flawed by design. However the Kerbal X usually works pretty well. Are you implying that you set your SAS on "prograde" instead of "stability assist"?

No, I ususally put it to stability assist and once I reach 100m/s I press D a lot.

Hard to tell... idk if its just your video recording software that glitches, or KSP itself...
but if you're talking about when you hit 6500~8500m, it might be drag on the MJ part, pulling the nose that direction, when you're hitting MaxQ... vOv
Try doing a 90° roll (so the MJ part is facing Kerbin during the turn), @ around 400-500m right after launch... (or rotate the whole craft in the VAB before launch).
you should prolly be making sure paired boosters like that, are on either side of the rocket, rather than top & bottom like you have them. I find as I build moar advanced rockets with boosters, if I keep them top/bottom, when they jettison, they moar often than not, collide with my rocket, rather than seperating cleanly, like they do when they drop off to the sides ... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

15 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Hard to tell... idk if its just your video recording software that glitches, or KSP itself...
but if you're talking about when you hit 6500~8500m, it might be drag on the MJ part, pulling the nose that direction, when you're hitting MaxQ... vOv
Try doing a 90° roll (so the MJ part is facing Kerbin during the turn), @ around 400-500m right after launch... (or rotate the whole craft in the VAB before launch).

Alright, i'll try it out.  Though when I use the center of mass overlay, its in the middle of this ship.  I don't think that the MJ part would have any affect.  But i'll still go for it.  Thanks, the navball isn't exactly going up now.  Instead, its hard to circulate.  Guess I need to start watching orbit tutorials again.  But yeah, thanks for the help.  That pretty much answered my question, at the most.

Edited by ItsSky

6 hours ago, ItsSky said:

Yeah!  Sure thing, i'll record it.  Though, like you said.  There are a ton of other ways a gravity turn could be done, so mine might look different or wrong without me knowing that it is wrong.  Also, like I said I use stock vessels since I'm really not creative.  I'll be using the kerbal 1

Your gravity turn is SUPER late. You don't start the turn until you're already going over 100m/s and barely even try to turn until you're well past 10km. If I had to guess, you learned that either from playing before 1.0 or from watching videos from before 1.0 on how to do a gravity turn. Try this instead:

• At 50 m/s turn 5 degrees East so you're at 85 degrees East on the navball.
  • When your Ap (Not altitude) is 5km, bring that down to 70 degrees East.
  • When your Ap is 10km, turn 60 degrees East.
  • When your Ap is 15 km, turn 50 degrees.
  • When your Ap is 20 go to 40.
  • When your Ap is 30 go to 30.
  • When your Ap is 40 go to 20.
  • When your Ap is 50 go to 10.
  • When your Ap is 60 go to 0, and leave it there until your Ap goes to your target altitude. I like 80 or 100 usually.

The whole time you're doing this, throttle down if you either see heat (flame is fine, only slow down when things start getting heat gauges) or your time to Ap goes over 60 seconds. A good gravity turn does not shove the Ap way ahead of the craft. Note: Throttling down is generally bad and if you're throttling down a ton, redesign your craft to just not have so much power at those stages of flight.

This is not the "best" but it's pretty darn good and gives you an idea of what you should be shooting for instead of what you're doing.

Also, I assume by "up" you mean "South" and that's semi normal. Any small deviations early on tend to get worse and worse as you fly. It's far less noticeable when you turn more strongly as I did above, and to correct it, you just need to "break the arm the other way" and aim a bit North until the prograde marker is back where you want it.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:59 AM, 5thHorseman said:
  • At 50 m/s turn 5 degrees East so you're at 85 degrees East on the navball.
  • When your Ap (Not altitude) is 5km, bring that down to 70 degrees East.
  • When your Ap is 10km, turn 60 degrees East.
  • When your Ap is 15 km, turn 50 degrees.
  • When your Ap is 20 go to 40.
  • When your Ap is 30 go to 30.
  • When your Ap is 40 go to 20.
  • When your Ap is 50 go to 10.
  • When your Ap is 60 go to 0, and leave it there until your Ap goes to your target altitude. I like 80 or 100 usually.

...wouldn't it be easier to watch time to apoapse instead, for the benefit of people who can't pay attention in three directions at once?

I found starting the turn at 100 m/s at 5°, sticking SAS to prograde, throttling down after SRB separation + reaching Mach 1.5 (to clear the transsonic shock region), then nudging the throttle up/down  to keep time to Ap between 30-60 secs to work optimally for not overly draggy payloads. By Ap 60, trajectory is almost completely flat and quite often I get a positive periapse by the time Ap reaches target altitude.

Of course, I've never flown a single stock rocket so I can't speak from experience with those.

Edited by Fraktal

4 hours ago, Fraktal said:

...wouldn't it be easier to watch time to apoapse instead, for the benefit of people who can't pay attention in three directions at once?

I have no idea, I've never done that so don't know how well it would do and I'm not one of those people. :D

However I am one of those people who like trying things different ways so I'll give it a shot on my next launch. Which will very likely be next year(!) as I'm going on a vacation for the entire rest of this year in just a few days.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.