[1.8.x] AIES Patches

linuxgurugamer

Greeting and Happy Holidays, fellow Kerbonauts,

Forum user @carmics made this wonderful mod back in 2013.  He seems to have left the KSP and modding scene, and since the mod was under an All Rights Reserved, no distribution allowed.

It is only compatible up to 1.0.5, and is available on CurseForge, at this URL:  https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods/aies/download

Over the years there have been a number of people asking for an update.  There have been two unofficial updates, one by forum user @Deimos Rast (available on Github) and one  by forum user @TK421d.

@TK421d actually released a complete set of config files for the antennas.   

I've converted the files from @TK421d into MM patches, and am providing all these patches in a single file to download.  There are two versions of the antennas, one with the patches from @Deimos Rast and one with the patches from @TK421d.  For the patches I wrote to apply the same changes as @tk421d's version, I only moved the antenna info over, the base part information was copied from the @Deimos Rast's patches.

A spreadsheet is included with the mod showing the values for the different files.  This spreadsheet is also available online here:

http://bit.ly/2PXRAup

Installation

There are two ways to install the AIES mod for 1.8.1.  The first is a direct download and manual install, the second is using CKAN

Recommended method to install is via CKAN.

CKAN Install

The last version of the mod was for KSP 1.0.5.  You will need to change a setting in CKAN to allow it to be downloaded.  Follow these steps:

• When at the CKAN main window, click Settings, and then select the menu item Compatible KSP Versions

• Scroll down until you see 1.0, and put a check in the checkbox at the left of the 1.0

• Click Accept

• After CKAN has refreshed itself, type AIES in the entry field for "Filter by mod name"

• You will see one line for "AIES Aerospace", and three lines for "AIES Continued"

• Select "AIES Aerospace"

• Select the first "AIES Continued"

• Now select one of the other two configs for the antenna settings you want (see spreadsheet here: http://bit.ly/2PXRAup for a comparison)

• Click "Apply Changes" and wait for the mod & patches to be installed

• Now to undo the compatibility change.   Click Settings, and then select the menu item Compatible KSP Versions

• Scroll down until you see 1.0, and remove the check in the checkbox at the left of the 1.0

• Click Accept

Manual Install

Folder Info: 

DeimosRast 

Antenna patches from  @Deimos Rast

TK421d

Antenna patches derived from  @TK421d's AIES Antenna Revamp thread

Patches

The rest of the patches from @Deimos Rast

1. Download the full AIES version 1.6.1 from Curse here:   
    1. https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods/aies/download  
    2. This link will download the file after a 5 second countdown.  You will then need to install the mod by hand the normal way.
  2. There are three folders inside the AIES_Continued folder. See the table above for the descriptions
  3. Note that the @Deimos Rast and  @TK421d  folders conflict with each other.
  4. Copy the entire AIES_Patches folder to the GameData directory
  5. Delete one of these folders:  
    1. AIES_Continued/DemiosRast
    2. AIES_Continued/TK421d

Optional Texture Conversion and Compression

Download the program DDS4kSP from this link:  https://github.com/Telanor/DDS4KSP/releases/tag/v1.0.5605

You will need to use an unarchiving program which understands RAR format archives;  7zip is one that I use (7-Zip is free software with open source).

DDS4KSP converts .mbm directly to .dds and I think it detects whether there are alpha channels in the texture, so it should when to automatically save as DXT1 or DXT5

Select the folder (which can include subdirectories), adjust settings if needed (default shown), click "Convert", wait a couple minutes, and Voila!!...

zYMqZPU.png

Availability

Note regarding the license:  This was the one most in line with the original mod (ie:  No Commercial) and the original authors of the patches

Original AIES Dev Thread:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/30974-aies-project-parts/

=============================================================================================================
Original Credits:
=============================================================================================================
The majority of these patches were compiled by Deimos Rast, but represent a community effort.
Special thanks goes out to COL.R.Neville and MeCripp for their assistance, as well as to those who
provided patches in the past. You made this much easier than it otherwise would have been - much appreciated!
Revamped Credits:
Original Patch Compilation by @Deimos Rast
Tag patch by @DeltaDizzy
Thank you to @blowfish for helping me through MM syntax for tag replacement

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...

thanks so much for putting all this back together again. 

tonkacrash did a good job on fixing the aset landing legs maybe he would take a look at these. 

i used to have a patch to make them work but they really need to be converted to the new format so their suspension will work again. 

On 2/3/2020 at 2:10 PM, COL.R.Neville said:

thanks so much for putting all this back together again. 

tonkacrash did a good job on fixing the aset landing legs maybe he would take a look at these. 

i used to have a patch to make them work but they really need to be converted to the new format so their suspension will work again. 

@Tonka Crash Any interest in fixing these?  Would be greatly appreciated

9 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@linuxgurugamer I started a new job last August and haven't had time for much else since then. I can't remember the last time I actually spent any time in KSP. I just try to stop by the forum every now and then.

Congrats on the job, I hope it goes well.

Your gain is KSP's loss

• 3 weeks later...

Oh sweet, this is much better than my solution was.   My edits were mostly just guesswork, and I think ended up overpowered a little.  Also since my KSP time is sporadic and forum visits even more rare, I'm glad others are keeping these alive, the models are great and I love using them!

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.