Will KSP 2 be released to mobile?

Unlikely that a tablet would be able to handle the physics need be KSP anytime soon.

But I can think on a client/server architecture, where the heavy weight would be handled by a computer and the tablet would need only to render the results. This appears to be feasible.

The main problems with porting KSP to mobile devices:

1. KSP has so many controls that putting all of them on-screen would make it seem way too cluttered, even on the largest tablets. You could make the buttons smaller, but then they'd probably be very difficult to press without accidentally pressing another at the same time.
  2. This game is extremely CPU- and memory-intensive. Most mobile devices have processors only designed for the simplest of games (think Candy Crush), and 2GB of memory at most. KSP needs to calculate extremely complex physics, which requires a PC-grade CPU, and at least 4GB of memory (at the bare minimum). Most mobile devices are simply not up to scratch. You could dumb the game down, but as @razark said, the experience would likely suffer.
  3. This may not apply to KSP 2, but a mobile version of KSP would probably suffer from the same limitations as the current console game, such as being several versions behind the PC game, and without mods.

These are the reasons why I don't think any version of KSP will ever be ported to mobile devices. The same reasons stand for a Nintendo Switch edition of the game, which has been suggested multiple times in the past. Look at how disadvantaged the Xbox/PS4 port is right now - I can only see these issues being amplified for a mobile port.

2 hours ago, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

I said 

Quote myself- "It SORTA is"

Which implies that it is, in some way, by the name Kerbal Space Program.  Spaceflight Simulator (which I have) is not KSP. You should have said something like: "It is not on mobile, but a similar app is called Spaceflight Simulator"

I don't think that the full game should be playable on mobile or tablet, however being able to Port a certain mode onto your device should be possible.  

Creating crafts are definitely too complicated for a non laptop/desktop device, but I'd like to be able fly my rocket and make manuver nodes on my phone.  1-0 action groups could be selected by using a little scroll wheel to change between which action group you wanted with a double press on the number activating the action group.  Use a two finger touch for attempting to use, pitch, or roll your craft, and one finger could select the specific part.  The navball could be virtually the same so you can just tap to enable/disable SAS and RCS

KSP 2 is presented as having higher performance, allowing higher part-count (in the thousands) vessels, and more in-depth modding capability.

A mobile game would go the exact opposite way from those things, in which case it must be asked, "why is KSP 2 even being developed, again?"

Edited by Overfloater

21 minutes ago, Overfloater said:

KSP 2 is presented as having higher performance, allowing higher part-count (in the thousands) vessels, and more in-depth modding capability.

A mobile game would go the exact opposite way from those things, in which case it must be asked, "why is KSP 2 even being developed, again?"

This, note that mobile games has kind of an strong evil taint on them at this time, so much that we assume 99.99999999% is junk and we tell the firewall / CIWS to fire on contact. 
Its so bad you get stuff like Apple arcade who try to compensate as most who identify as gamers see it like vegans don't see Chernobyl as an holiday destination.
And yes protective suits and gass mask is part of the show and it give some protection

23 hours ago, Dinosaur300 said:

The only device i have is a tablet

Sorta depends, what tablet?

If it's a old one then no not really

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Which implies that it is, in some way, by the name Kerbal Space Program.  Spaceflight Simulator (which I have) is not KSP. You should have said something like: "It is not on mobile, but a similar app is called Spaceflight Simulator"

Fair enough but anyone would have got what I meant

20 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The main problems with porting KSP to mobile devices:

1. KSP has so many controls that putting all of them on-screen would make it seem way too cluttered, even on the largest tablets. You could make the buttons smaller, but then they'd probably be very difficult to press without accidentally pressing another at the same time.
  2. This game is extremely CPU- and memory-intensive. Most mobile devices have processors only designed for the simplest of games (think Candy Crush), and 2GB of memory at most. KSP needs to calculate extremely complex physics, which requires a PC-grade CPU, and at least 4GB of memory (at the bare minimum). Most mobile devices are simply not up to scratch. You could dumb the game down, but as @razark said, the experience would likely suffer.
  3. This may not apply to KSP 2, but a mobile version of KSP would probably suffer from the same limitations as the current console game, such as being several versions behind the PC game, and without mods.

These are the reasons why I don't think any version of KSP will ever be ported to mobile devices. The same reasons stand for a Nintendo Switch edition of the game, which has been suggested multiple times in the past. Look at how disadvantaged the Xbox/PS4 port is right now - I can only see these issues being amplified for a mobile port.

Most mobile SOC these days are in range of baseline PC KSP was released for in the beginning. If KSP is better coded from ground up to speed it up and use modern ideas then mobile might be possible to an extent. Issue is controls need to take up too much of limited screen space. 

yes unmod able is a given on mobile. 

Would love to see anything KSP on mobile even if companion to desktop game not holding breath. 

1 hour ago, mattinoz said:

Most mobile SOC these days are in range of baseline PC KSP was released for in the beginning. If KSP is better coded from ground up to speed it up and use modern ideas then mobile might be possible to an extent.

Agreed. If KSP were actually coded from the beginning with mobiles in mind, it would probably work on them. Look at Simple Rockets 2: a game at least as complex as KSP but fully functional on mobile devices.

Sadly for this idea, KSP was never designed for mobile devices, and I don't think it's likely that KSP 2 will be either.

6 hours ago, catonthekbd said:

I would love a mobile app that talked to my main PC running KSP(2), and displayed status info/maps/etc.

This already exists, sorta.   There's a mod out there that allows your mobile device to act as an interface and controls for KSP, while providing a "HUD" for pertinent info.   There are other mods that allow for direct control of KSP through custom arduino based hardware. 

No I don't recall the mod names.