Wraythe Mk9

GunnyErmy

LDYoxUA.jpg

This is my first posting of a craft on KerbalX, or mention of it on these forums.  Up until now all of my posts have been on Steam (where this can be found too).  I had never built anything for the water until this craft, and I didn't realize I was shooting a little high to try for an SSTO seaplane my first time.  Balancing the CoT with CoM while making something highly functional (read: able to land and take off in one piece), user-friendly, and semi-decent looking proved quite the challenge.  Anyhow, I hope you all like it, and without further ado..

Laythe seaplane/SSTO, 46.84 wet mass, 2 seats, RCS control, docking port, 115,307 Kerbucks, 65 parts, Making History and no mods.

After many, many (checks calender) umm.. hours.. and many versions.. I present the Wraythe Mark 9. A hydrofoiling amphibious SSTO intended to operate from orbital stations around Laythe or relatively close Jool orbits, the Wraythe can land and take off from anywhere on Laythe, although due to the rear wheels being a bit far back from CoM, it takes off better in water.  It carries an abundance of LF for use in biome-hopping, but still makes orbit with at least 800 delta V remaining; you can use more LF on the surface or take less with you for more delta V if you need it. Carries all science in the short cargo bay forward of the command pod. Can also operate in Kerbin’s atmosphere and oceans quite well; but as an SSTO it is intended for Laythe. TWR and oxidizer reserves are both on the low side for Kerbin, although, at least a couple versions ago, it still makes orbit there too.

1 toggles Rapiers
2 toggles Rapier mode
3 deploys/retracts hydrofoils

When landing in water, keep your landing speed at 60 m/s or less to avoid unplanned disassembly. This can be achieved by leveling off around 10-25 meters at no throttle, and then deploying the hydrofoils with action group 3 once slow enough (quicksave till you get the hang of it). They will act as flaps/airbrakes, and you should be able to hit the water at maybe even less than 40 m/s if done really well. After landing, hit the gas; foiling starts around 30 m/s, and the Wraythe will gain speed to a bit more than 60 m/s or so in the water. Taking off from there requires a boost from the Rapier closed cycle mode - hit 2, hold the nose up, and as soon as it lifts out of the water, hit 2 to switch Rapier mode back to airbreathing, then 3 to retract the hydrofoils. The Wraythe will penetrate Laythe space on air-breathing mode, and all remaining oxidizer can be used for circularizing your orbit/orbital maneuvers. Warranty void if exposed to moisture.

MLmZevU.jpg

CdEvNhB.jpg

ZW3Gu0B.jpg

https://kerbalx.com/GunnyErmy/Wraythe-Mk9

So I'm not sure if this is the best way to link the craft file, someone please correct me if wrong.  However, above is the link to the page on KerbalX where the file can be downloaded from if anyone cares to try this SPTO - Sea Plane To Orbit ;)

Edited by GunnyErmy

After more playing with this, I've found it reaches speeds in excess of 120 m/s on the water while foiling.  From there, if you turn off the rear pitch control so it doesn't force the (stern? since it's kind of a spaceboat..) into the water, you can take off without closed cycle mode.  The hydrofoils also work outstanding as flaps, allowing level flight speeds around 50 m/s at half throttle - making water landings much easier than the method I described above.  Sidenote - I wish I had called it the Sea Wraythe...  cooler name..  it's a lot of fun in the water.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.