Slipping and Sliding on the Mun Surface

In 1.8.1 my rover is slipping and sliding like its on ice.  Initially when I landed, it behaved normally.  I relaunched the game and when I went back to the rover, it behaves like the video as shown.  I relaunched the game a third time and is the same.  Anyone seen this before?

Thanks for all the replies and its nice to see I'm not the only one.  Even with the brake on and completely stopped, it will start to slide as if it were on ice.  Plenty of electric power as well.  I use a mod called "parking brake" to keep it stopped once I can get it slowed down enough through maneuvering and applying power.  I think this is some sort of bug but wanted to throw it out here to everyone.  I will try and report it to Squad.  If anyone else has a work around, would be great to know.  I haven't landed another rover yet.  Maybe its a weight based bug thing where heavier rovers wouldn't experience this.  This is the smallest rover I've ever built.  Had to fit in a 1.25m fairing.  

gm3vkKT.png

17 hours ago, Joker58th said:

In 1.8.1 my rover is slipping and sliding like its on ice.  Initially when I landed, it behaved normally.  I relaunched the game and when I went back to the rover, it behaves like the video as shown.  I relaunched the game a third time and is the same.  Anyone seen this before?

Not with a rover, but I used to get this thing on the mun and minmus when Kerbal would slide down the surface (in ragdoll mode) and I couldn’t make them get up until they stopped sliding, which either took a LONG time or they “popped” on the way down... :’(

I recorded some video of mine as well.  Luckily it survived the load in bounce.  I forgot that I had disabled the motors the last time I tried to use it so they are off for the first part of the video.  I think that actually helps highlight the problem. 

Hi,

This has happened to me as well.

Seems to be a weight issue when using the RoveMax S2 wheels as Joker58th has observed.

Had it happen on a rover I made using a RoveMate core with the light scanning arm similar to the rover that Tim_AZ has above. Issue disappears if I use the medium or large scanning arms (heavier arms)  .

A work around that I use with the lightweight rovers that are doing this is to go to the console (Alt F12), go to the cheats menu and tick on "Hack Gravity". Move the slider up to 10 or so and leave for a second, slide it back to 1 (reset) and untick "Hack Gravity" and then it will work ok then. You'll need to do this every time you go the space centre and return back to the rover though. 

I found this mod pretty helpful:

Also, this mod helps a lot with the bouncing issue when loading a scene:

Additionally, you might want to define a different set of keys for forward/reverse/left/right movement, as WSAD include rotational forces.

Edited by VoidSquid

On 12/29/2019 at 10:29 PM, AstroG said:

A work around that I use with the lightweight rovers that are doing this is to go to the console (Alt F12), go to the cheats menu and tick on "Hack Gravity". Move the slider up to 10 or so and leave for a second, slide it back to 1 (reset) and untick "Hack Gravity" and then it will work ok then. You'll need to do this every time you go the space centre and return back to the rover though. 

Excellent @AstroG!  Your work around worked perfectly.  Exactly what I was hoping for.  Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is still monitoring this. on smaller rovers if the springs are set to default (i.e. 1) then on loading a craft via quick save or a scene load the rover will slip on its wheels.

Increase springs to 1.25 will stop it from sliding

• 4 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 6:59 AM, Anth12 said:

If anyone is still monitoring this. on smaller rovers if the springs are set to default (i.e. 1) then on loading a craft via quick save or a scene load the rover will slip on its wheels.

Increase springs to 1.25 will stop it from sliding

This worked for me. Perfect! And without hacking the gravity. Thx a lot.

On 12/30/2019 at 4:29 AM, AstroG said:

Hi,

This has happened to me as well.

Seems to be a weight issue when using the RoveMax S2 wheels as Joker58th has observed.

Had it happen on a rover I made using a RoveMate core with the light scanning arm similar to the rover that Tim_AZ has above. Issue disappears if I use the medium or large scanning arms (heavier arms)  .

Thanks AstroG for your provided solution. But I like Anth12's solution a little bit more as no gravity hack is needed and it works for me and my rovers on Mun and Minmus perfectly.

• 2 months later...

I just tried to actually, properly play the game, for the first time this year. And of course, I tried to land a lightweight rover on Duna. Because that's a logical thing to do right? Anyone care to guess how that "roving" went?

How the [REDACTED] is this crap still not fixed? How is using the debug menu in normal gameplay an accepted solution?
Wheels have been broken since 1.1. Four [REDACTED] years. Four.
Glowy suits. Surface experiments. Comets. 2 DLCs. And something as fundamental as being able to drive on a surface is still broken beyond all recognition.

For anyone stumbling on this, yes. It's 2020. The game is at version 1.10.1. Wheels are still a complete disaster.
I give up, the bugs are not getting fixed, the developers don't give a damn, and this game is a still a smouldering garbage fire of half-baked ideas, bugs and jank.

Edited by steve_v

• 1 month later...

Damn, have exactly same issue still on 1.10.1 with old ships from previous versions. Seems fine if relaunch ship, but Parking Brake mod helps at least stop it, but moving is really like on ice... No new solutions on this?

EDIT: it seems i got whats wrong. If vessel is way
lightweight (<800kg) - this bug start happening. If add more mass it seems fine. But this NOT happened on 1.7.x or lower (tested save save pon multiple versions). So start happening from 1.8.x and still not fixed in 1.10.1.

I did created bug report: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/26396

Edited by AlexALX

• 2 years later...

I think I found a solution. Increasing friction control to 10 and disabling all types of reaction wheels worked for me.

I suggest you should bind a hotkey to toggle the reaction wheels when needed, because it's the best way to get back up when you're about to flip.

• 9 months later...

Just need to add a grumble that as of the (as far as I understand) final version of KSP1, this is still a huge issue, and it's kind of amazing that it never got fixed. Wheels are just terrible, especially in low gravity. Sometimes it's impossible to stop and I'll just have my rover slowly drift for literally kilometers, unable to stop, if there is any slope at all. >.<

Going to try the parking brake mod, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.