Lost in Space expansion pack for KSP 2

GroupJW

So KSP 2 is coming out in 2020 very soon. I wanted to add an expansion package based on the 1998 Lost in Space film. 

These include: 

• Jool 2 spacecraft (based on the spacecraft seen in the film, called Jupiter 2)
  • Jool 1 booster rocket (based on the Jupiter 1 booster rocket also seen in the film, with Super Large fairings with holes to mount rocket engines)
  • Jettisonable adapter for the bottom of the Jool 1 booster 
  • Launch tower for the Jool 1 booster/Jool 2 spacecraft (with crew access arm and umbilical masts, new launch pad addition)
  • Extension of "R-12 'Doughnut' External Tank" called "R-20 Large Jettisonable Sliced External Tank"

Edited by GroupJW
Fixed and edited features.

1 hour ago, Wallygator said:

Uh...  no. Perhaps the original series instead.

I'm thinking KSP 1, "the original series" you asked, would be obsolete. So I thought this "Lost in Space" expansion would be good for KSP 2 since they are introducing some new stuff in this second version. 

Edited by GroupJW

13 hours ago, GroupJW said:

I'm thinking KSP 1, "the original series" you asked, would be obsolete. So I thought this "Lost in Space" expansion would be good for KSP 2 since they are introducing some new stuff in this second version. 

I'm thinking of the original lost in space series from the mid-1960s. And I do not care what KSP versions ultimately exist.

So to be clear, there are three LOS media entities out there:

1) The 1960's TV series (amazing except for the vegetable episode - which on another level could actually be the finest piece of television Sci-fi ever produced - depending on the viewer's perspective of course)

2) The Movie (with Matt Leblanc as the only redeemable element)

3) A modern series (is it Netflix? whatever...) which is also rather good (the actor who plays Will Robinson is well deserving all praise, he's great - also he's likely the closest to being Kerbal sized)

so... as they say in olden-times, "Pick your poison"...

11 hours ago, Wallygator said:

I'm thinking of the original lost in space series from the mid-1960s. And I do not care what KSP versions ultimately exist.

So to be clear, there are three LOS media entities out there:

1) The 1960's TV series (amazing except for the vegetable episode - which on another level could actually be the finest piece of television Sci-fi ever produced - depending on the viewer's perspective of course)

2) The Movie (with Matt Leblanc as the only redeemable element)

3) A modern series (is it Netflix? whatever...) which is also rather good (the actor who plays Will Robinson is well deserving all praise, he's great - also he's likely the closest to being Kerbal sized)

so... as they say in olden-times, "Pick your poison"...

I choose the 2nd LOS media entity. Wallygator, I think the expansion for KSP 2 is fitting because of the new features that are added. And I think the addition of this expansion pack based on this 2nd LOS media entity (the movie from 1998) would be a great addition. And no, I won't be using the 1960s TV series. I call this expansion pack "Hyperdrive to New Star Systems".

Edited by GroupJW

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, GroupJW said:

No, it won't be a mod. It'll be an expansion pack just like "Making History" and "Breaking Ground".

Why?  Why would Star Theory want to work on it?

(If it's you working on it, and not Star Theory - then it's a mod.)

13 hours ago, GroupJW said:

No, it won't be a mod. It'll be an expansion pack just like "Making History" and "Breaking Ground".

Sure, if you want to pay the licensing fees to New Line Cinema,  Saltire Cinema, 20th Century Fox, the Irwin Allen estate, etc. No way they would let Star Theory make a paid-content add on without getting a large slice of the pie themselves.

17 hours ago, csiler2 said:

Sure, if you want to pay the licensing fees to New Line Cinema,  Saltire Cinema, 20th Century Fox, the Irwin Allen estate, etc. No way they would let Star Theory make a paid-content add on without getting a large slice of the pie themselves.

You might be mistaken. Warner Bros. (which had absorbed New Line back in 2006), Saltire Cinema (which presumably dosn't exist or is still in business), 20th Century Fox (now a division of Disney), the Irwin Allen estate, and ViacomCBS would get a large slice of the pie themselves with Squad (the game's developer), Take Two (KSP 2's publisher) and Star Theory Games (again, KSP 2's publishers) paying them the royalties.

2 hours ago, GroupJW said:

You might be mistaken. Warner Bros. (which had absorbed New Line back in 2006), Saltire Cinema (which presumably dosn't exist or is still in business), 20th Century Fox (now a division of Disney), the Irwin Allen estate, and ViacomCBS would get a large slice of the pie themselves with Squad (the game's developer), Take Two (KSP 2's publisher) and Star Theory Games (again, KSP 2's publishers) paying them the royalties.

Enough royalties to make it worth a lawyer's time to get it set up?  Enough base profit for it to be worth Star Theory to build it, pay the royalties, pay their own lawyer, and divert resources from other projects?

I mean, you're talking about a niche game, and then an add-on based on a not very popular movie.  Sure, you're interested - but how much are you willing to pay for it?  And how many other people are there who would be interested?  I'm willing to bet that Star Theory's time and money is likely better spent someplace else.

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

Enough royalties to make it worth a lawyer's time to get it set up?  Enough base profit for it to be worth Star Theory to build it, pay the royalties, pay their own lawyer, and divert resources from other projects?

I mean, you're talking about a niche game, and then an add-on based on a not very popular movie.  Sure, you're interested - but how much are you willing to pay for it?  And how many other people are there who would be interested?  I'm willing to bet that Star Theory's time and money is likely better spent someplace else.

Take Two Interactive and Star Theory will pay the royalties to the rights holders of the 1998 "Lost in Space" film (Warner Bros./WarnerMedia, Saltire Cinema, Disney, the Irwin Allen estate, and ViacomCBS). I think it will cover the licensing fees and the development costs. I have NO money whatsoever and I'm broke, bankrupt. Star Theory, Take Two and Squad will pay them with this movie's budget: $80,000,000. And NO, Star Theory won't be diverting resources from other projects. Star Theory and Take Two will invest in resources for this project, Squad will do the models and coding, and finally, Take Two and Star Theory will publish the add-on together. Star Theory will still be investing in KSP 2, the base game for this add-on.

BTW, It's 2020 now, so I forgot to say that new year quote.

Edited by GroupJW

On 1/14/2020 at 10:15 AM, DStaal said:

Why?  Why would Star Theory want to work on it?

(If it's you working on it, and not Star Theory - then it's a mod.)

Why would Star Theory want to work on it you ask? Because I watched almost half of the movie and I thought that an expansion add-on based on the 1998 Lost in Space film would work. I am NOT a developer working on this.

Edited by GroupJW

On 12/28/2019 at 9:45 PM, GroupJW said:

So KSP 2 is coming out in 2020 very soon. I wanted to add an expansion package based on the 1998 Lost in Space film. 

These include: 

• Jool 2 spacecraft (based on the spacecraft seen in the film, called Jupiter 2)
  • Jool 1 booster rocket (based on the Jupiter 1 booster rocket also seen in the film, with Super Large fairings with holes to mount rocket engines)
  • Jettisonable adapter for the bottom of the Jool 1 booster 
  • Launch tower for the Jool 1 booster/Jool 2 spacecraft (with crew access arm and umbilical masts, new launch pad addition)
  • Extension of "R-12 'Doughnut' External Tank" called "R-20 Large Jettisonable Sliced External Tank"

I see your point, but in my opinion it is hard to base something on one franchise. If we get this, then why don't we have a Star Wars DLC, or a Interstellar DLC? This is why I am opposed to this idea.

11 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

I see your point, but in my opinion it is hard to base something on one franchise. If we get this, then why don't we have a Star Wars DLC, or a Interstellar DLC? This is why I am opposed to this idea.

No Star Wars DLC or Interstellar DLC. because it would be prohibitively expensive to license to both Lucasfilm and Paramount. Only "Lost in Space" 1998 DLC only.

Edited by GroupJW

10 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

The last thing I want in this series is another freaking marvel/star wars Disney monstrosity. Keep the lame pandering themes and overrated cultural phenomenon out of my rocket building game

No No NO. No Disney/Marvel/Star Wars DLCs, young man. I'm afraid Disney might file a lawsuit on you if you made one or even Star Theory made one. Only "Lost In Space" 1998 DLC only. Keep your lame "Disney monstrosity" out of my ideas and deal with this one. As I said before, "pandering theme and overrated cultural phenomenon" DLC only.

2 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Cool that you should know stuff like that. Care to share some lottery numbers as well?

No Mr. I can't show you them because it's gambling. I don't want to become a "gambling Boogey Man".

Edited by GroupJW

57 minutes ago, GroupJW said:

No No NO. No Disney/Marvel/Star Wars DLCs, young man. I'm afraid Disney might file a lawsuit on you if you made one or even Star Theory made one. Only "Lost In Space" 1998 DLC only. Keep your lame "Disney monstrosity" out of my ideas and deal with this one. As I said before, "pandering theme and overrated cultural phenomenon" DLC only.

No Mr. I can't show you them because it's gambling. I don't want to become a "gambling Boogey Man".

That is missing the point. I can think of several reasons why Star Theory will not work on this

1. They will have to pay royalties, as stated above,

2. Why would they work on this expansion, which adds a limited amount of parts and will only appeal to some people when they can work on an original expansion that provides more variety of parts and adds in game mechanics (Which is why I think it could be best as a mod)

7 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

That is missing the point. I can think of several reasons why Star Theory will not work on this

1. They will have to pay royalties, as stated above,

2. Why would they work on this expansion, which adds a limited amount of parts and will only appeal to some people when they can work on an original expansion that provides more variety of parts and adds in game mechanics (Which is why I think it could be best as a mod)

I think it will be the first DLC to be licensed.to Star Theory by the rights holders of the 1998 "Lost in Space" film. And there are far enough original expansions that already provided a wide variety of parts in the first version. The second version's different, and this expansion pack is limited: it's based on the latter film as mentioned above. I hope you understand my idea very well.

Edited by GroupJW

23 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Why do you believe that?  What makes it likely?

Warner Bros. (which had absorbed New Line back in 2006), Saltire Cinema (which presumably dosn't exist or is still in business), 20th Century Fox (now a division of Disney), the Irwin Allen estate, and ViacomCBS  will get the royalties paid from Squad, Take Two and Star Theory. It 's the first expansion pack/DLC to be licensed. Here's my disclaimer:

"© 1998-2020 Warner Bros. Pictures, Saltire Cinema, 20th Century Fox, the Estate of Irwin Allen and CBS Entertainment Group. All Rights Reserved. Licensed to Star Theory Games, Take Two Interactive and Monkey Squad, S.A. d e C.V. "

Edited by GroupJW

4 minutes ago, GroupJW said:

Warner Bros. (which had absorbed New Line back in 2006), Saltire Cinema (which presumably dosn't exist or is still in business), 20th Century Fox (now a division of Disney), the Irwin Allen estate, and ViacomCBS  will get the royalties paid from Squad, Take Two and Star Theory. It 's the first expansion pack/DLC to be licensed. Here's my disclaimer:

"© 1998-2020 Warner Bros. Pictures, Saltire Cinema, 20th Century Fox, the Estate of Irwin Allen and CBS Entertainment Group. All Rights Reserved. Licensed to Star Theory Games, Take Two Interactive and Monkey Squad, S.A. d e C.V. "

Which means it could in theory be possible.

I ask again: What makes you think this would be *likely*?