Lost in Space expansion pack for KSP 2

GroupJW

1 minute ago, GroupJW said:

Don't worry. Wombat the Super Dog is going to see this and contact Squad, do some licensing deals with the production companies behind the 1998 "Lost in Space" film, then contact Squad to develop the DLC, and after that's finished, Star Theory and Take Two will publish the DLC together.

Like what's been pointed out, you seem guaranteed that this will happen. I really don't want to burst this bubble man but it's most likely not going to happen because Squad, nor Take Two, nor Star Theory have that financial incentive to go through paying the licensing fees to actually make a DLC for just one person. Lost in Space is a really obscure film, there's unfortunately not a lot reason for them to go out of their way to go through the development to produce a DLC that the community doesn't want nor will bring anything all that interesting to the table. They won't get a lot out of doing a DLC exclusively just for you

The best option you have is having asking or commissioning a modder to do it for you. @CobaltWolf and @Beale are two of the most prominent modders that immediately come to mind that nailed a clean retro esque aesthetic that would probably work best for this sort of thing . I'd suggest asking them when KSP2 finally releases. You could even try making a topic on Add-On Discussions and seeing if there might be other modders who would probably take on this project.

16 hours ago, Krulliam said:

Like what's been pointed out, you seem guaranteed that this will happen. I really don't want to burst this bubble man but it's most likely not going to happen because Squad, nor Take Two, nor Star Theory have that financial incentive to go through paying the licensing fees to actually make a DLC for just one person. Lost in Space is a really obscure film, there's unfortunately not a lot reason for them to go out of their way to go through the development to produce a DLC that the community doesn't want nor will bring anything all that interesting to the table. They won't get a lot out of doing a DLC exclusively just for you

The best option you have is having asking or commissioning a modder to do it for you. @CobaltWolf and @Beale are two of the most prominent modders that immediately come to mind that nailed a clean retro esque aesthetic that would probably work best for this sort of thing . I'd suggest asking them when KSP2 finally releases. You could even try making a topic on Add-On Discussions and seeing if there might be other modders who would probably take on this project.

I don't commission them because it's too much and will be expensive. It's not happening. It's likely going to happen.  Squad, or Take Two, or Star Theory have that financial incentive to go through paying the licensing fees to actually make a DLC for the KSP community, I think Lost in Space is a really badly criticized film (to some, I really liked the launch though), there's unfortunately a lot of reasons for them to go out of their way to go through the development to produce a DLC that the community may want or will bring anything all that interesting to the table. They will get a lot out of doing a DLC exclusively just for them. @CobaltWolf and @Beale are modders that do parts based on real life parts made by NASA, ESA, or any real life space agency. Again, Wombat the Super Dog might see this and contact Squad, then contact the producers of the 1998 "Lost in Space" movie to make licensing deals, then Squad will begin development of the DLC, and finally, Star Theory and Take Two will publish that DLC together. I'm sorry, but it has to be done. And no, I don't have PayPal nor a bank account (like Chase checking accounts). <Snip>

Edited by GroupJW
Publically calling for moderator action

2 hours ago, Krulliam said:

40 minutes ago, GroupJW said:

I don't commission them because it's too much and will be expensive. It's not happening. It's likely going to happen.  Squad, or Take Two, or Star Theory have that financial incentive to go through paying the licensing fees to actually make a DLC for just one person, I think Lost in Space is a really badly criticized film (to some, I really liked the launch though), there's unfortunately a lot of reasons for them to go out of their way to go through the development to produce a DLC that the community may want or will bring anything all that interesting to the table. They will get a lot out of doing a DLC exclusively just for them. @CobaltWolf and @Beale are modders that do parts based on real life parts made by NASA, ESA, or any real life space agency. Again, Wombat the Super Dog might see this and contact Squad, then contact the producers of the 1998 "Lost in Space" movie to make licensing deals, then Squad will begin development of the DLC, and finally, Star Theory and Take Two will publish that DLC together. I'm sorry, but it has to be done. And no, I don't have PayPal nor a bank account (like Chase checking accounts). <Snip>

excuse me but what

are you ok bro

27 minutes ago, cineboxandrew said:

You didn't even watch the whole thing and yet you're still demanding tie-in content for a bad movie from 1998?

Yes, I am. I am campaigning Star Theory to have the 1998 "Lost in Space" DLC developed.

33 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

excuse me but what

are you ok bro

I'm fine. Don't do a mod based on this. I'm trying to campaign Star Theory to make a DLC based on the 1998 "Lost in Space" film.

<Snip>

28 minutes ago, KerbalKore said:

Image result for rotating thinker

You might be even thinking of my idea based on the 1998 "Lost in Space" film, eh?

26 minutes ago, GroupJW said:

Yes, I am. I am campaigning Star Theory to have the 1998 "Lost in Space" DLC developed.

I'm fine. Don't do a mod based on this. I'm trying to campaign Star Theory to make a DLC based on the 1998 "Lost in Space" film.

I'd ask @Nertea to make a mod and/or report that person

1 minute ago, Vanamonde said:

Okay, some of you dislike the idea. Fine. There's no need to be nasty about it. 

Some posts have been removed. Keep it polite. 

Thanks. I don't want anyone being nasty about my idea. I'd like it to be polite.

1 minute ago, DeltaDizzy said:

If you are serious about it I can send you a $100,000,000,000,000 bank note I have lying around.

Deal! I'll give you a million in exchange!

Just now, Angel-125 said:

This sounds more like a mod than a DLC. Sort of like:

Sorry man, I don't need your help. I'm busy camapigning Star Theory for the 1998 "Lost in Space1" film DLC, okay?

1 minute ago, tygoo7 said:

K

You like my idea, huh? Well, it has to go through Star Theory first.

Thread temporarily locked for maintenance.

--

Yet more posts have been edited or removed.

Some points on this:

1. It is not ok to publicly discuss or call for moderator action.  If you have a problem with a particular post or user, report the post and let us know what's going on.  That's all you need to do.  Please refrain from reacting to the post in the thread.
  2. Mocking of other members will not be tolerated.
  3. As I said before, if you don't like an idea, that's fine.  Discuss it in a civil matter.  If you can't, then move on.
  4. Please stay on topic.

Additionally I'm going to leave this locked for a few hours to let all parties cool off.

I'm still not getting why you're so opposed to making these parts yourself. There's plenty of tutorials online, or you can ask the experienced modders for directions. It's a good opportunity to learn the 3D modeling software.

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

I'm still not getting why you're so opposed to making these parts yourself. There's plenty of tutorials online, or you can ask the experienced modders for directions. It's a good opportunity to learn the 3D modeling software.

Or even asking for help from current moders.  I'd argue that some of the names listed in this thread produce *better* parts than Squad...

35 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Or even asking for help from current moders.  I'd argue that some of the names listed in this thread produce *better* parts than Squad...

I'm saying, Squad might make these licensed 1998 Lost in Space film DLC parts of they have to. Then Star Theory and Take Two will publish it.

37 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Again, I don't need your help. Blender and Unity's hard to learn. Thank you for suggesting it, but I'm against it.

Edited by GroupJW

6 minutes ago, GroupJW said:

I'm saying, Squad might make these licensed 1998 Lost in Space film DLC parts of they have to. Then Star Theory and Take Two will publish it.

A: Why would they have to?

B: Squad isn't involved in KSP2.  The people you need to convince are Star Theory and Take Two.  Can you tell us how you are doing that?

8 minutes ago, GroupJW said:

Again, I don't need your help. Blender and Unity's hard to learn. Thank you for suggesting it, but I'm against it.

It's likely Blender and Unity are easier to learn than it is to convince Star Theory to work on this.

12 minutes ago, DStaal said:

B: Squad isn't involved in KSP2.  The people you need to convince are Star Theory and Take Two.  Can you tell us how you are doing that?

Yes, Squad is not only involved in KSP 2, but Star Theory and Take Two is involved as well like you said. Why would Squad make a DLC based on the 1998 "Lost in Space" film? It's because Jupiter 1 (and Jupiter 2) would work on KSP 2 as a DLC. It departs from the first version of KSP. I'll have to email them to have that developed.

12 minutes ago, DStaal said:

It's likely Blender and Unity are easier to learn than it is to convince Star Theory to work on this.

No. It's likely that Blender and Unity are harder to learn, It's not EASY. As you said, I'm trying to convince Star Theory to work on the 1998 Lost in Space film DLC.

Edited by GroupJW

I could paint my car neon green.  It doesn't mean it's going to happen, or that it's a good idea.  Why is it a good idea - for Star Theory - for them to develop this DLC, vs. any other project they could work on?  Why should they listen to a random player on the Internet?

You say you're trying to convince them - but I've seen no evidence of you trying to convince anyone of anything, other than it is going to happen.  You stating it doesn't make it happen.  Why should it happen?  How many thousand people have you gotten to agree to buy this hypothetical DLC?  How much market analysis have you done?  How many other people do you have writing in?

Blender and Unity will only take a few dozen hours of your time to learn.  Convincing Star Theory to do a DLC based on a movie that lost money is going to take hundreds or more hours of your time in campaigning and fundraising - and I haven't seen you start that.

Just now, DStaal said:

I could paint my car neon green.  It doesn't mean it's going to happen, or that it's a good idea.  Why is it a good idea - for Star Theory - for them to develop this DLC, vs. any other project they could work on?  Why should they listen to a random player on the Internet?

You say you're trying to convince them - but I've seen no evidence of you trying to convince anyone of anything, other than it is going to happen.  You stating it doesn't make it happen.  Why should it happen?  How many thousand people have you gotten to agree to buy this hypothetical DLC?  How much market analysis have you done?  How many other people do you have writing in?

Blender and Unity will only take a few dozen hours of your time to learn.  Convincing Star Theory to do a DLC based on a movie that lost money is going to take hundreds or more hours of your time in campaigning and fundraising - and I haven't seen you start that.

Why is it a good idea - for Star Theory - for them to develop this DLC? It's fun for the Kerbal community to make rockets based on this 1998 Lost In Space DLC. Blender and Unity will take hundreds or more hours of my time to learn. That's why I'm still campaigning Star Theory to develop that DLC. And don't worry, they'll not deviate from other projects. They'll still work on them. I may email Star Theory or Take Two to make the 1998 Lost in Space film DLC just for you and me, and the entire KSP community. I may paint your car purple or yellow if you want.

well there is a very low chance that they will listen, but if they do, and if they do add a lost in space DLC, then i'll campaign them to add hyper advanced humans to the game.

Edited by Dirkidirk
memes

I think a more pertinent question is: Why would Star Theory/Take Two spend the exorbitant amount of money the studio would demand for the license? Do you really imagine that the ROI will make it worth their while? It appears they are making plenty of money on DLCs created completely in-house. Why would they take the risk on creating a DLC that they are hundreds of thousands of dollars in the hole on before it is even out the front door? Especially a property like Lost in Space. Do you see anyone else lining up to license it? Toys, games, comics? No? You know why? It's a 22-year-old movie that got panned by the critics and barely cleared its own budget at the box office. Nobody is going to license it for anything.