Lost in Space expansion pack for KSP 2

GroupJW

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

Which means it could in theory be possible.

I ask again: What makes you think this would be *likely*?

It would be likely or unlikely that Star Theory will have licensing deals with the creators of the 1998 "Lost in Space" film.

4 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

<Snip>

Ksp already has its own lore, much more interesting at that btw.

Oh come on! It's gonna be fun! A "Lost in Space DLC will be perfect with licensing deals made by Star Theory, Take Two and Squad to the creators of the original 1998 "Lost in Space" film. So let's combine those lores into one for that matter! Squad, Star Theory and Take Two isn't gonna pay NASA for the original content created.

Edited by Geonovast

Some posts have been edited or removed.

If you don't like someone else's idea, that's fine.  We encourage civil debate here.  But there's no need to be demeaning to either the idea or the forum member who had it.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

Some posts have been edited or removed.

If you don't like someone else's idea, that's fine.  We encourage civil debate here.  But there's no need to be demeaning to either the idea or the forum member who had it.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I hate someone debating on my "Lost in Space" 1998 DLC.

I want to step back a moment - my view on this thread is part of the issue/debate is the tone: You want Lost in Space parts in KSP2.  Ok, fine.

There are two things you as a consumer can do: You can campaign for Star Theory to add it, getting support to show it would be worth the time and money expended.

Or you can work on it yourself as a mod.

Neither of those is being put forward in this thread - what's being put forward in this thread is that Star Theory must do it, with no real effort to convince anyone that it would be worthwhile.  Yes, if licensing was worked out everyone could make money off of it - but how much?  Would it be worth the time and effort spent to create it?  So far we have one vocal user saying it would be good - they're unlikely to spend several thousand dollars for the DLC, so if they are the entire market than it's not worth the effort.

Convince someone, and don't speak as if it's an obviously done deal - it's not, and there are plenty of movies and TV shows with cool spaceships that were more successful that would be more likely to be considered.  If you want this one - campaign for it.

8 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I want to step back a moment - my view on this thread is part of the issue/debate is the tone: You want Lost in Space parts in KSP2.  Ok, fine.

There are two things you as a consumer can do: You can campaign for Star Theory to add it, getting support to show it would be worth the time and money expended.

Or you can work on it yourself as a mod.

Neither of those is being put forward in this thread - what's being put forward in this thread is that Star Theory must do it, with no real effort to convince anyone that it would be worthwhile.  Yes, if licensing was worked out everyone could make money off of it - but how much?  Would it be worth the time and effort spent to create it?  So far we have one vocal user saying it would be good - they're unlikely to spend several thousand dollars for the DLC, so if they are the entire market than it's not worth the effort.

Convince someone, and don't speak as if it's an obviously done deal - it's not, and there are plenty of movies and TV shows with cool spaceships that were more successful that would be more likely to be considered.  If you want this one - campaign for it.

Well, the licensing must be done in order for the "Lost in Space" 1998 parts to be developed. It will be funded via Kickstarter. As I said, it would $80,000,000.

Edited by GroupJW

This seems really specific for Star Theory to add, licensing stuff aside. Don't really see any big incentive for them adding a dedicated DLC from something so relatively obscure. It's not broad enough to really fit the meta of what KSP goes for as parts like this would not synergize (god that word is pretentious sounding) well with anything else. 

You could probably have no trouble recreating any of the stuff from the movie in KSP2 though so hey skies the limit

Just now, Krulliam said:

This seems really specific for Star Theory to add, licensing stuff aside. Don't really see any big incentive for them adding a dedicated DLC from something so relatively obscure. It's not broad enough to really fit the meta of what KSP goes for as parts like this would not synergize (god that word is pretentious sounding) well with anything else. 

You could probably have no trouble recreating any of the stuff from the movie in KSP2 though so hey skies the limit

I have no software to create them (e.g Unity). I'm campaigning to have Star Theory and Squad develop the add-on.

Just now, GroupJW said:

I have no software to create them (e.g Unity). I'm campaigning to have Star Theory and Squad develop the add-on.

No I mean with the actual parts you're gonna be provided in the base game, you'd be surprised just what sort of weird contraptions and recreations you can throw together just with a bit of tweakscale (provided KSP2 actually gets it) and insane amounts of part clipping.

I made a couple really decent looking Metal Gears with just stock parts and tweakscale so if you sit down and plan out what you want to build you can probably nail a pretty good recreation of whatever you want to make.

Also like I said, this film is still pretty specific and obscure that Star Theory wouldn't have the incentive to add it. It departs from what KSP is.

6 minutes ago, Krulliam said:

No I mean with the actual parts you're gonna be provided in the base game, you'd be surprised just what sort of weird contraptions and recreations you can throw together just with a bit of tweakscale (provided KSP2 actually gets it) and insane amounts of part clipping.

I made a couple really decent looking Metal Gears with just stock parts and tweakscale so if you sit down and plan out what you want to build you can probably nail a pretty good recreation of whatever you want to make.

Also like I said, this film is still pretty specific and obscure that Star Theory wouldn't have the incentive to add it. It departs from what KSP is.

Of course it's the licensed actual parts provided in the base game. A DLC you might ask. I can't recreate that because It's hard. I'm letting Star Theory, Take Two and Squad make the expansion pack based on the 1998 "Lost in Space" film. This film is still pretty specific and not obscure in my opinion. And don't worry, Star Theory will have the incentive to add it.

Edited by GroupJW

Just now, GroupJW said:

Of course it's the licensed actual parts provided in the base game. A DLC you might ask. I can't recreate that because It's hard. I'm letting Star Theory, Take Two and Squad make the expansion pack based on the 1998 "Lost in Space" film.

The licensing isn't the problem here my man, it's the actual concept of the DLC that presents a unique situation that really doesn't make sense for Star Theory to go towards. Licensing is one problem yes but I think you might be missing the point I am trying to make with how I said it departs from what the *Core* of KSP is. Branded DLC especially for something that really doesn't hold a lot of relevancy today. It's like asking Star Theory to make an entire DLC based around Galaxy Quest or Alien.

Also nothing is explicitly impossible in KSP, you can definitely make these parts in stock to the point you won't really need a specialized DLC for them. Really all anybody needs to make something in KSP is a dash of initiative, a pinch of persistence, and a reputable local dealer with a hefty supply of methylphenidate

May I ask, why the Jupiter 2 from the movie? Why not the one from the reboot from Netflix? Why not the the ships used in the original series?

Why the Lost in Space franchise? Why not one of the more popular franchises out there? 

I can see you are a big fan of this ship, but I seriously doubt that star theory would touch this. I personally would love to see some scifi and real crafts made, but I'd ask for it as a mod or create it myself. Something very specific like this would be out of scope unless they did a dlc with multiple ships. Again, I doubt that will happen.

Just now, Krulliam said:

The licensing isn't the problem here my man, it's the actual concept of the DLC that presents a unique situation that really doesn't make sense for Star Theory to go towards. Licensing is one problem yes but I think you might be missing the point I am trying to make with how I said it departs from what the *Core* of KSP is. Branded DLC especially for something that really doesn't hold a lot of relevancy today. It's like asking Star Theory to make an entire DLC based around Galaxy Quest or Alien.

Also nothing is explicitly impossible in KSP, you can definitely make these parts in stock to the point you won't really need a specialized DLC for them. Really all anybody needs to make something in KSP is a dash of initiative, a pinch of persistence, and a reputable local dealer with a hefty supply of methylphenidate

As I said, I don't have the software, and I DON'T have the skill to develop them. I'm letting Star Theory develop the Lost in Space 1998 expansion.

Just now, GroupJW said:

As I said, I don't have the software, and I DON'T have the skill to develop them. I'm letting Star Theory develop the Lost in Space 1998 expansion.

I just told you why they can't man. There's not a lot of incentive nor community desire to see something like this. Also never explicitly said you had to develop these things man, I'm just telling you there's not a lot of reason why Star Theory would go out of their way to create something this specific.

3 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

May I ask, why the Jupiter 2 from the movie? Why not the one from the reboot from Netflix? Why not the the ships used in the original series?

Why the Lost in Space franchise? Why not one of the more popular franchises out there? 

I can see you are a big fan of this ship, but I seriously doubt that star theory would touch this. I personally would love to see some scifi and real crafts made, but I'd ask for it as a mod or create it myself. Something very specific like this would be out of scope unless they did a dlc with multiple ships. Again, I doubt that will happen.

That gives me an idea

7 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Why the Lost in Space franchise and the Jupiter 1 and 2 from the movie? It's because I've watched the launch sequence and I remembered the KSP 2 trailer and I decided to ride the hype train and post my idea here so that Star Theory, Take Two and Squad would develop this expansion under license.

4 minutes ago, Krulliam said:

I just told you why they can't man. There's not a lot of incentive nor community desire to see something like this. Also never explicitly said you had to develop these things man, I'm just telling you there's not a lot of reason why Star Theory would go out of their way to create something this specific.

That gives me an idea

Star Theory will not go out of their way to develop this. It'll be funded by licensing deals ONLY. It'll be funded to the creators of the 1998 Lost in Space movie. There will be a lot of incentive or community desire to see something like this.

Edited by GroupJW

8 minutes ago, GroupJW said:

Why the Lost in Space franchise and the Jupiter 1 and 2 from the movie? It's because I've watched the launch sequence and I remembered the KSP 2 trailer and I decided to ride the hype train and post my idea here so that Star Theory, Take Two and Squad would develop this expansion under license.

You could probably commission somebody to make the parts for you as a mod or even a ship made from stock parts. Don't think the Forum rules explicitly state that paying for mods would be illegal as long as it's consensual between the two parties.

Throwing money at things is how I solve 90% of my problems.  Except the IRS problem of course cause the day I give them a penny is the day I stop making irresponsible life choices and believe me that will never happen.

8 minutes ago, GroupJW said:

Star Theory will not go out of their way to develop this. It'll be funded by licensing deals ONLY. It'll be funded to the creators of the 1998 Lost in Space movie. There will be a lot of incentive or community desire to see something like this.

I told you funding isn't the issue here, it's community demand and how it interferes with the established meta of KSP. Besides hate to break it man but I'm estimating that more then 90% of the community most likely unaware of the franchise or the 1998 movie in particular and those who are probably wouldn't have a huge jolt to buy a DLC based around something that doesn't give them a lot of potential to use for anything else then recreating the Jupiter 1 or 2. You're banking on the community demand to be there but there's just not enough to justify it.

edit. can't wait for a mod to show up for me mentioning the IRS.

Edited by Krulliam

3 minutes ago, Krulliam said:

You could probably commission somebody to make the parts for you as a mod or even a ship made from stock parts. Don't think the Forum rules explicitly state that paying for mods would be illegal as long as it's consensual between the two parties.

Throwing money at things is how I solve 90% of my problems.  Except the IRS problem of course cause the day I give them a penny is the day I stop making irresponsible life choices and believe me that will never happen.

I told you funding isn't the issue here, it's community demand and how it interferes with the established meta of KSP. Besides hate to break it man but I'm estimating that more then 90% of the community most likely unaware of the franchise or the 1998 movie in particular and those who are probably wouldn't have a huge jolt to buy a DLC based around something that doesn't give them a lot of potential to use for anything else then recreating the Jupiter 1 or 2. You're banking on the community demand to be there but there's just not enough to justify it.

edit. can't wait for a mod to show up for me mentioning the IRS.

It really gives them the potential recreating the Jupiter 1 or 2. I'm not making mods, sorry. And as I said, I'm campaigning Star Theory to license the "Lost in Space" 1998 parts, including the latter mentioned.

1 minute ago, GroupJW said:

It really gives them the potential recreating the Jupiter 1 or 2. I'm not making mods, sorry. And as I said, I'm campaigning Star Theory to license the "Lost in Space" 1998 parts, including the latter mentioned.

Yes and a lot of people are telling you that you're not going to get very far in campaigning them to make a DLC based around this. 

Just now, Krulliam said:

Yes and a lot of people are telling you that you're not going to get very far in campaigning them to make a DLC based around this. 

Star Theory's really is gonna get very far in developing that DLC. "Their expertise is creating games that push the boundaries across different genres and platforms. They are focused on creating an inviting and diverse workplace that allows THEM to develop games they can be proud of. Their most popular creation is the Monday Night Combat franchise, and soon KSP 2 with the "Lost in Space" 1998 add-on/expansion pack/DLC. They're always working on new projects, while continuing to push the growth and improvement of their culture and studio. Star Theory Games is based in Bellevue, Washington and their daily operations are overseen by Wombat the Super Dog." Wonder if Wombat the Super Dog would see this?

Just now, GroupJW said:

Star Theory's really is gonna get very far in developing that DLC. "Their expertise is creating games that push the boundaries across different genres and platforms. They are focused on creating an inviting and diverse workplace that allows THEM to develop games they can be proud of. Their most popular creation is the Monday Night Combat franchise, and soon KSP 2 with the "Lost in Space" 1998 add-on/expansion pack/DLC. They're always working on new projects, while continuing to push the growth and improvement of their culture and studio. Star Theory Games is based in Bellevue, Washington and their daily operations are overseen by Wombat the Super Dog." Wonder if Wombat the Super Dog would see this?

How can they get far in a DLC if they're not even actively considering developing it?

1 minute ago, GroupJW said:

Star Theory's really is gonna get very far in developing that DLC.

Could we change that tense here?  You keep speaking as if it is already happening, and is planned out - when so far it's only in your head.

That line should be: 'Star Theory's could get very far in developing that DLC.'

You can't command Star Theory - you can only plead with them to make a choice you want.

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

You can't command Star Theory - you can only plead with them to make a choice you want.

Well he and yourself probably can't control what Star Theory does, but I sure can. Once they remove that restraining order that is...

Edited by Krulliam

Just now, Krulliam said:

How can they get far in a DLC if they're not even actively considering developing it?

I've already sent them a tweet on Twitter. Wombat the Super Dog would see this and contact Take Two and Squad, then contact the production companies behind the 1998 "Lost in Space" film (Warner Bros., Saltire Cinema (which presumably dosn't exist or is still in business), 20th Century Fox, the Irwin Allen estate, and ViacomCBS) to do some licensing deals. After that, Squad would begin development of the DLC. After development's finished, Star Theory and Take Two will publish the DLC together.

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Could we change that tense here?  You keep speaking as if it is already happening, and is planned out - when so far it's only in your head.

That line should be: 'Star Theory's could get very far in developing that DLC.'

Wombat the Super Dog is going to see this and contact Squad and the production companies behind the 1998 "Lost in Space" film (Warner Bros., Saltire Cinema (which presumably dosn't exist or is still in business), 20th Century Fox, the Irwin Allen estate, and ViacomCBS) to do some licensing deals. After that, Squad would begin development of the DLC. After development's finished, Star Theory and Take Two will publish the DLC together.

2 minutes ago, GroupJW said:

I've already sent them a tweet on Twitter. Wombat the Super Dog would see this and contact Take Two and Squad, then contact the production companies behind the 1998 "Lost in Space" film (Warner Bros., Saltire Cinema (which presumably dosn't exist or is still in business), 20th Century Fox, the Irwin Allen estate, and ViacomCBS) to do some licensing deals. After that, Squad would begin development of the DLC. After development's finished, Star Theory and Take Two will publish the DLC together.

You're assuming they're going to do that with certainty. Besides again there's no real reason for them to go through the process of licensing this.

4 minutes ago, Krulliam said:

You're assuming they're going to do that with certainty. Besides again there's no real reason for them to go through the process of licensing this.

Don't worry. Wombat the Super Dog is going to see this and contact Squad, do some licensing deals with the production companies behind the 1998 "Lost in Space" film, then contact Squad to develop the DLC, and after that's finished, Star Theory and Take Two will publish the DLC together.

Edited by GroupJW