Tilted parts upon loading vessel in space

I am facing some issues with ships loading with tilted parts (mainly engines and tanks). They are slightly off their axis upon loading.

i tried reloading from tracking station, quick save/load, restart. Still there. It happened twice in my current playthrough. Once with a ship in Mun orbit and once  in Minmus orbit. 

playing ksp 1.8.1 with Kerbalism, kas, kis, missing history and the near future mods.

i was able to salvage my mun mission as the engine was only slightly off its axis but for the minmus one I just can’t control the ship and bring my kerbals back...

any idea how I could fix this?

thanks!

You mean like part of your vessel having pieces rotated?
If so, I had that happen a few times playing with the "Auto-Strut" feature.

I would say ALT+Save for a backup (in case of Kraken saying "Hullo!"), then F5, deactivate SAS, remove auto-struts,  then reload that save using F9.
If it works, try to auto-restrut your craft from other parts to prevent it happening again.
In a noodle craft, I usually make the top part (say the capsule) the root part, and Autostrut the engine to the Root part.  It tends to help tons.

Let us know if it worked !

Thanks @Francois424! It almost worked! Fixed my fairing, tank, and heat shield rotation! Awesome! 
only my engine remains tilted but I think I can manage (have a rescue mission otw just in case).

Thing is I can’t toggle autostrut for the engine. The button is there but does nothing. I went back to vab and looked at the craft and this engine and tanks that are impacted are labelled “autostrut locked to grand parent part”. Maybe that’s the reason why I can’t change it. 
Anyway I am considering removing advanced tweakable to avoid that issue. Or maybe not use it unless I really have a spaghetti design? What’s the best thing to do? Just add real struts where I can?

I mean it does add some nice story telling to my playthrough but Kerbalism is already unforgiving enough!

I had this bug before and now it's reappearing on my last craft out of nowhere a mayor version of the game later.

eSMIHVI.png

LgLkdu4.png

VdHZqrE.png

I disabled autostruts and reloaded but it didn't work.

The vessel is fine until I dock it to the big station and I'm also using the whole Nertea pack of mods (restock, NF and station part redux).

I can provide the savefile and any other data if is needed.

3 hours ago, IceCube said:

Thanks @Francois424! It almost worked! Fixed my fairing, tank, and heat shield rotation! Awesome! 
only my engine remains tilted but I think I can manage (have a rescue mission otw just in case).

Thing is I can’t toggle autostrut for the engine. The button is there but does nothing. I went back to vab and looked at the craft and this engine and tanks that are impacted are labelled “autostrut locked to grand parent part”. Maybe that’s the reason why I can’t change it. 
Anyway I am considering removing advanced tweakable to avoid that issue. Or maybe not use it unless I really have a spaghetti design? What’s the best thing to do? Just add real struts where I can?

I mean it does add some nice story telling to my playthrough but Kerbalism is already unforgiving enough!

Using real struts is a solution, assuming the "from" and "to" aren't too far fro each other.  When building a ring of parts, using auto-strut is NOT a good idea, use regular struts instead.
Think of Autostrut as an expensive SUPER GLUE.  You only use it here and there.  Regular Glue (struts) is for the rest, where needed.
I don't know why auto-strutting causes the parts to deform, but like Master39's situation it does pop out of anywhere for no apparent reasons...  sometimes with explosive results.

It happened once to me in 1.7.3, once I got my last ship the "Poseidon" into Kerbin orbit.  I did the solution that I mentioned (disable ASAS, remove auto-struts, save/reload... might have had to restart the game, then reload) and I was okay for the reminder of the very long trip.
Don't know why your engine is auto-strutting tho.  Never had that happen, but I've not played 1.8 enough yet to see if it's standard in that version (I hope not).

Good luck, no more ideas on my part.

thanks a lot for your quick help on this! I’m gonna make sure not to autostrut everywhere. I guess as I unlock better parts I should be able to avoid noodles. I might assemble more vessels in orbit too rather than attempting crazy launches from the launchpad.
thanks for the tips bud!

2 hours ago, Francois424 said:

Using real struts is a solution, assuming the "from" and "to" aren't too far fro each other.  When building a ring of parts, using auto-strut is NOT a good idea, use regular struts instead.
Think of Autostrut as an expensive SUPER GLUE.  You only use it here and there.  Regular Glue (struts) is for the rest, where needed.
I don't know why auto-strutting causes the parts to deform, but like Master39's situation it does pop out of anywhere for no apparent reasons...  sometimes with explosive results.

It happened once to me in 1.7.3, once I got my last ship the "Poseidon" into Kerbin orbit.  I did the solution that I mentioned (disable ASAS, remove auto-struts, save/reload... might have had to restart the game, then reload) and I was okay for the reminder of the very long trip.
Don't know why your engine is auto-strutting tho.  Never had that happen, but I've not played 1.8 enough yet to see if it's standard in that version (I hope not).

Good luck, no more ideas on my part.

Then I will try one last time on the docked save disabling also the SAS before the save/reload procedure, if even that doesn't work I will try with the save before the docking.

I will report back here as soon as I can, at least this time we have a probable culprit.

Anyway it's a strange bug, I'm not completely sure that docking autostrutted vessel is the only cause, I had a lot of heavily autostrutted things attached to my KSS Kestrel without any problem:

NXxgNcz.png

Edited by Guest

Autostrutting to the root or heaviest part can cause problems when docking (or undocking). Let's say you have 2 ships, each with autostruts to their heaviest part. After docking what used to be the heaviest part of one ship is no longer the heaviest part of the new combined ship, any autostruts connected to the no-longer-heaviest part disconnect and reconnect to the new heaviest part, and can twist or explode the ship.

Autostrutting to the grandparent part is less prone to twisting than using root or heaviest. Unfortunately, some parts are configured with automatic autostruts to the heaviest part and will not allow changes using the part window.

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued (KSP 1.7) fixed most wobbling for me and has greatly reduced my need for struts and autostruts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.