Star Wars: will it ever end?

Jeb-head-mug kerman

Will Star Wars end?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Will Star Wars end?

• End within 2-3 years
    • End within 10 year
    • Will not end in the near future

Today I am going to see 'Star Wars, the Rise of Skywalker', and it got me thinking, will the Star Wars saga ever end? I have watched every single Star Wars movie(except Attack of the Clones), and most of the time history just seems to repeat itself in the Star Wars saga. 

For Example, how many times have the Jedi (or someone else) discovered a secret weakness into a giant weapon of destruction?

Let me know in the comments what you think about the Rise of Skywalker and when(if ever) will the Star Wars saga end.

Edited by Jeb-head-mug kerman

Hello @Jeb-head-mug kerman, I've moved your topic to the lounge. I remember watching the original trilogy as a child followed by a long time before the prequels/sequels came out. I think the franchise may go dormant for a while (again) but Star Wars is so beloved that it will eventually return...unless the heat death theory plays out.

7 minutes ago, Treveli said:

As long as there's money to be made, it'll keep going. And as long as there's content coming out that fans approve of, money will be made.

Yup, exactly...
I hate to break the news to y'all, but there were over 30... count them... THIRTY.... Godzilla movies.... not including the newest ones.
I don't see Star Wars ending anytime soon.... 

Edited by Just Jim

Coming soon to a theater near you:

STAR WARS
Episode MC: Revenge of the Ewoks

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
After three hundred years, Ewoks have become increasingly angry
of how their moon-world of Endor was used as a giant garbage dump
by the forces of the Empire and the Rebel Alliance.

Two ways can see I.

Here's both three of them.

1. Marvel adopts SW and... (No, this is too horrible to continue... Why not? This will explain the source of the Force. Also welcome "Star Wars X: Wolverine vs Palpatine").

2. "Star Trek feat. Star Wars". A Star Piece Peace franchise rises.

2+. "Star Peace feat. Star Gate". Siths are Goa'uld's minions, that's why they are so angry. Jedi(e)s are Vulcan's ones, more obedient.

Edited by kerbiloid

There's plenty of content from 1000 years before the Skywalkers, featuring the height of both the Jedi and Sith, including Darth I-Ate-A-Whole-Planet Nihilus. 

Also the extragalactic threat featured in Legends should be explored, make it very alien with extreme power and unclear motives, like the Combine vs. Star Wars galaxy.

Mandalore has a lot of interesting stuff too.

There is a lot of material there still.

8 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Coming soon to a theater near you:

STAR WARS
Episode MC: Revenge of the Ewoks

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
After three hundred years, Ewoks have become increasingly angry
of how their moon-world of Endor was used as a giant garbage dump
by the forces of the Empire and the Rebel Alliance.

Revenge of the cute bears lol! :D

9 hours ago, Treveli said:

As long as there's money to be made, it'll keep going. And as long as there's content coming out that fans approve of, money will be made.

That is a very good point.

What do I think they should do? They should go back to the history and mythology and find more stories, start a whole new saga.

What do I think they will do? Wait four or five years, then reboot the first three movies. Recast the roles, polish up the scripts, make everything more modern and PC. Because Hollywood.

3 hours ago, TheSaint said:

What do I think they should do? They should go back to the history and mythology and find more stories, start a whole new saga.

What do I think they will do? Wait four or five years, then reboot the first three movies. Recast the roles, polish up the scripts, make everything more modern and PC. Because Hollywood.

As much as I cringe at the thought of rebooting the originals, it would make sense to do so if they took it along the EU storyline, with Thrawn, Mara Jade, Karrde, and others.. It would essentially follow the Marvel model of different movie story arcs following different characters who occasionally run into each other. 

The Witches of Dathomir could easily become another Disney series

Edited by StrandedonEarth

22 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Given the recent trends with Disney reboots (animated to live action), it would be an animated reboot. Which, if done in an anime and not Disney cartoon/Pixar style, I wouldn't be apposed to. Live action can only take it so far, showing Force users, before you start seeing the strings and CGI. In my head I'm picturing Cowboy Bebop looking with Jedi/Sith.

19 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

As much as I cringe at the thought of rebooting the originals, it would make sense to do so if they took it along the EU storyline, with Thrawn, Mara Jade, Karrde, and others.. It would essentially follow the Marvel model of different movie story arcs following different characters who occasionally run into each other. 

The Witches of Dathomir could easily become another Disney series

I've been hoping that they'd do something on Disney+ like the old 'Tales of' books from the EU. Stories about background characters and events from the movies. Flesh out the universe and show there are other people in the galaxy that aren't named Skywalker/Solo/Palpatine.

I think I'm in the same contrarian boat as the OP. We can't have a good, reliable answer until after maybe a year from now - and even then we'll have to settle for second-hand "leaks". For now, we know a Star Wars movie is scheduled to come out on Christmas of 2021.

The profitability of SW is in rather steep decline, Episode IX hasn't broken past one billion and is unlikely to, even though theoretically it should have outperformed TLJ. Without good 'core' sales they can't expect to make it big on merch and Galaxy's Edge - which is said to have taken a ridiculous amount of money to build. Ancillaries like the Mandalorian are an option, but how many non-fans are going to get interested? We don't know - caught in the fallout of the TLJ controversy, Solo isn't representative ...but probably not that many. And finally, SE video-games are now more tied to the movies than ever before.

Disney have handled SW poorly - you can fight to the death over the particulars, but the results cannot be argued with. They've disillusioned the returning fans, and they failed to capture a new broad audience - especially in China. The rational step for them now is to cut their losses and pit the property on the backburner for at least a decade.

...Unless another insane contract is involved and they must churn films a la Fantastic Four. After all, there are rumours they're killing OT characters to avoid paying Lucas royalties - just like the new Trek must be at least '25% different' from the original, hence it's not really set in the original, non-Kelvin (JJ movies) timeline, but consciously only maintains continuity in very broad strokes.

Edited by DDE

What Disney needed for the sequel trilogy was a cohesive plan and a guy behind it, not unlike Lucas or Feige. Having a thought-out roadmap for any new trilogy, along with exploring a new time period that audiences might be more willing to see, could work out in the long run. However, at this rate Star Wars is going to have a much better future in television. The Mandalorian has proven to be a smash hit, the Cassian and Kenobi series hold a lot of promise, and there are apparently two new animated series in development. 

I’m particularly hopeful for the Kenobi series. Not only is it something fans have been asking for for ages, it will also be directed by Debora Chow. She has directed episodes 3 and 7 of The Mandalorian, its  two best episodes before the finale, so things are looking good for her own series. 

If they like ewoks, why ignore chewbaccas? Not all of them are found in a waste can, they have their own civilization and culture.
The Holiday Special must be resurrected (and get computered like other old SW episodes) and bring its own storyline to the main movie.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.