[WIP] 1.10.1.2 - The Martian for KSP (MAV Release)

bcink

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Awesome!

Really looking forward to the MAV!

Question though:

Getting some bad Z-fighting on the wheel hubs (almost looks like the tires are spinning when they aren't) and panels on solar generator with Nvidia 1080 and latest drivers...

• 3 months later...

It looks like I left most of parts for the MAV pretty much finished being touched up with the models and UV unwrapping. I had to go back and fix the pod and cut some windows in it and figure out the interior. It's looking like this:

zYItDuL.png

DTquVmd.png

Nosecone - also a docking port w/ parachutes. The docking port itself from is from Duna Direct. The mechanical arms are new, cap is a different size/shape and there is a base to fit neatly on this pod.

WP92wzL.gif

Regarding the pod, the warning stripes don't made much sense where you put the. They're usually located on things you could hit your head on, steps or other bits that need to be highly visible. As the hatch appears to open outward, they would not be needed in that particular location.

On 9/2/2020 at 6:56 AM, Dragon01 said:

they would not be needed in that particular location.

Fair. I'm open to other options but plain was just a bit too plain and it needs something there. Came up with a few alternatives. Not sure if many people come here but what is everyone's favorite?
xjtGKId.pngsGMOCfx.png

HPrVfF0.pngvyOFUBM.png

And the legs have texture:

0pt8Wzr.png

NO STEP looks good, except the surface is too steep for that sort of thing (unless it refers to the yellow handle). :) You typically see that sort of label on parts of aircraft wings, on which people walk rather often. TBH, some kind of handle for unlocking it from the outside would likely be a better choice here. Right now, there's nothing in there that could be used for that purpose.

Warning stripes on the legs also aren't needed, BTW. Typically, humans won't be anywhere near them when they actuate. These parts in particular just don't look like something one could bump into. The legs look good otherwise, though.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Any chance you could make the NASA/Ares decals optional variants though? They kind of make it less Kerbal.

Yeah, there will be.

6 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Also, I would love to see an empty version of the command pod with a tarp on top :P

I'm trying to go all the way with this actually. It looks like B9 has the option to remove meshes from objects, so the idea here is that after you land, you hit the button swap and it will simply delete the meshes for a bunch of things (hatch pieces / nosecone / etc).

10 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

LOVE IT!!!!!

Any way to lower the center of gravity thought?

This thing tips like crazy if you don't land on a perfectly flat spot on Mars with the lower gravity!

Thanks :D   That's a good point. I can definitely take a look at this. Tipping is always a *major* concern with a 3-leg. I almost like it that way but if I can help some suffering I will try ;] 
On that note - the legs now have working suspension. And I still hate doing legs and hope they die. And I know that doesn't really make sense, but I really mean it ;} 
Also... not to brag or anything, but I think this thing looks awesome:

19XgEUG.png

Also.. the nosecone can be decoupled, and you can put the pod into Mark Whatney mode at the push of a button if you want the storyline immersion effect:

H5bH42P.png

Almost there.

#hype

Some fire:
qyudXAM.png

Edited by bcink

On 9/16/2020 at 7:25 AM, Kilo60 said:

I the Heremes next?

Would love to get the Mars Habitats as well eventually!

I won't be re-doing the Hermes, but I keep looking at what was in the previous release thinking it wouldn't be all that hard to just port it over / add it to the pack / make sure things work.. I dunno.. We will see. Don't get hopes up on this one though.

In other news, release of the MAV is happening soon
IS1xKFb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.