bcink

[WIP] 1.9.x - The Martian for KSP

1.0 (Rover) has been released:

QSWpTpr.jpg

With the creator of the "The Martian" rover @-ctn- (Phoenix Industries) being gone from KSP forums, I have decided to update the parts for 1.8 and credit @-ctn- as the original creator. 

Update: the same applies for the MAV / MDV parts which will be implemented from Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft [Discontinued] by @xxhansonmaxx and @OrbitalEscape continued by @Jasseji and @Wragie in the Hermes Interplanetary Vehicle (CONTINUED) (now discontinued)

Looking for a name for this (as I don't think it would be proper to call this Phoenix Industries).

Currently 3/4 rover parts are updated and ready for game implementation:

Gp2HzGd.pngEtqVhMn.png

xNZSx03.pngFa4MiIE.png

Edited by bcink
Rover released

12 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

any chance you'd check out his other mods too?

Yes - I will at the least also do his MAV + pod.

@bcink

Yay! I've always wanted to use these parts, but they were always out of date. Good to see them resurrected :D

Any chance of some new IVAs, particularly for the MAV? I feel like stock IVAs don't really cut it for these parts, especially because the interiors in the film were really nice.

8 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Any chance of some new IVAs, particularly for the MAV? I feel like stock IVAs don't really cut it for these parts, especially because the interiors in the film were really nice.

Maybe - I haven't decided yet. The models are difficult to work with as a side effect of .mu to Blender import - and almost none of the edges are connected to each other. I'll probably give it hell and see what I can come up with, it'll just add some time on the job.

Alternatively, the Mark Watney version of the pod would be *really, really* simple :D:D

Nice to see this! Maybe "IndustrialPhoenix "?

Thank you for doing this!

I have the lander pack and (and maybe 3Sat) in progress, but no .mu or texture updates - just part.cfg etc. hopefully it will be released Soon™.

Though the landerpack could use some love in both of those categories, and 3Sat might be obsolete with @Nertea's NFExploration nearing its first exploratory steps.

1 hour ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Nice to see this! Maybe "IndustrialPhoenix "?

Thank you for doing this!

I have the lander pack and (and maybe 3Sat) in progress

Good to hear and no problem.

9Gtecr5.png

Edited by bcink

1 hour ago, zer0Kerbal said:

3Sat might be obsolete

however, the decouplers are still great!

Just now, bcink said:

Good to hear and no problem.

YUM!

To tie it into The Martian theme: "Acidalia Transport Systems", since the movie and book take place at Acidalia Planitia?

Edited by aceman67

33 minutes ago, aceman67 said:

To tie it into The Martian theme: "Acidalia Transport Systems", since the movie and book take place at Acidalia Planitia?

Not bad :D 

26 minutes ago, amarillo114 said:

Awesome! Thanks for your effort into adapting this mod for current version! 

Most definitely.

I just got the attachment nodes squared away but of course it's time for work :) Should be a functioning rover very soon.

Rover parts are back in action. Re-textured all around, 3 working hatches, 4 working ladders, top and bottom attach nodes on all parts, vehicle lights and spotlights:

6iP5qk3.png

Will be moving on to the lander parts and then circling back to see about IVAs, before rounding out config files.

oh - and don't forget the bumper stickers: "Eat Moar Spuds" "Mars Pirates"

Posted (edited)

Awesome, looking forward to playing with those :D

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Suggestion: Add a crew compartment of the shape of the rover cockpit, a back, and maybe some doors.

3 hours ago, Commodoregamer118 said:

Add a crew compartment of the shape of the rover cockpit, a back, and maybe some doors.

well, in that spirit - ISRU and drill; scienceTSOI compartment, SpudHouse...

10 hours ago, Commodoregamer118 said:

Suggestion: Add a crew compartment of the shape of the rover cockpit, a back, and maybe some doors.

Already ahead of you on the side doors. I'll probably do the IVA. 

I'm going to be implementing the MAV / MDV from the Hermes pack. Mesh is fixed up as best I could:

7Gr5X3B.png

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bcink said:

I'm going to be implementing the MAV / MDV from the Hermes pack.

Ooo, does that mean it'll hold 6 Kerbals? :D

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Posted (edited)
On 1/5/2020 at 2:09 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

Ooo, does that mean it'll hold 6 Kerbals? :D

Well, the IVA has the chairs for 6. We'll have to see if 6 actually fit I don't remember when I tried this out several years back.

At this point I've touched up all the models for the MAV and have fixed the UV unwrapping. They will all now need baked and textured. This is going from what looks like one 1024x1024 texture for all of these parts with a bunch of mashed up and incomplete UV's thrown around in there to a 1024x1024 resolution re-texture of each part.

Update: all AO bakes have been done and all parts have been imported into Unity. Texturing to commence next.

Edited by bcink

yes please! I am really looking forward to this!

Things got really hectic for me. I think I'm probably going to release the rover before I finish everything just to get it out there. Will be a bit delayed getting the rest taken care of here but it will definitely still happen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.