The Official Kerbal Dakar 2020

The Official Kerbal Dakar 2020

VN2dzIG.png

ScVaiE2.png

PLEASE NOTE: At the request of @Triop I am serving as a surrogate host for the Kerbal Dakar 2020 ... It is still his challenge, his rules and he has veto power over any decisions that may need to be made

Now off to the races ........

This challenge will test your design, driving and strategy skills.

Don't think this is going to be easy, expect bumps, hills, drops, mountains.

Study the route you want to take before you start, A to B is never a straight line in the Dakar.

Some stages will be more about braking than going fast.

Make sure you will not be disturbed during your attempt.

Put on your favorite music and play it loud, this will keep you focused while driving.

The Kerbal Dakar 2020 challenge is more about finishing the race and sharing your experience, the leader boards that end up being created or the scoreboard from OrX Kontinuum are secondary ... It's not about the destination or your times on the scoreboard, it's about the journey and the trials you face in order to finish (although it is nice to have bragging rights :wink:)

All the distances below are as the crow fly's (in a straight line)

Stage 1 - 24.5 km
Stage 2 - 25.4 km
Stage 3 - 23.3 km
Stage 4 - 24.9 km
Stage 5 - 23.6 km

- HOW TO COMPETE -

There are 2 ways to compete in this challenge ...

The first is by downloading a save file, dropping it into a save directory in your KSP install and then loading the saved game ... Directions and download link are in the spoiler below

Spoiler

1- Download the Kerbal Dakar 2020 save file from the link provided below ... It is a empty savegame containing only the 6 flags needed to set up the route.

PLEASE NOTE:
If you are using 1.7.2 or below, open the persistence file in a text editor and change the third line from 'version = 1.7.3' to the version of KSP you are using
It is unkown if the save file will work in any version of KSP below 1.7.x so your mileage may vary ... Save file works in 1.8.x without making any modifications to it

2- Copy the .sfs file to a save game folder found in your KSP directory ... {your KSP install location}/savegames/{the save that you will do the challenge in}

3- Go back into KSP, click on 'load save' and select load the save game

4- Start racing :wink:

You will have to time each stage using screenshots (press F1, the screenshot will be found in your KSP directory {your KSP install location}/Screenshots/ ) , 2 per stage, showing us the rover near the flag in both screenshots.

PRO TIP: Make your starting screenshot when the clock hits 0 seconds, this will make calculating time easier.

Examples from the 2017 Kerbal Dakar

START

XYnuNbf.png

FINISH

kI1dkNR.png

Now calculate your time, in this case: start: 00.28.00 finish: 00.44.11 = total stage time: 00.16.11

When calculating your time, keep in mind a clock has 60 minutes and 60 seconds, so don't add up to 100.

SAVE FILE DOWNLOAD LINK: https://github.com/DoctorDavinci/OrX_Kontinuum/releases/download/0.1.1.4777/Kerbal.Dakar.2020.sfs

IF YOU HAVE ISSUES LOADING THE SAVE FILE PLEASE CONSULT THE FOLLOWING POST

(TL;DR rename the save file after downloading)

The second method to compete is by downloading OrX Kontinuum and selecting Dakar 2020 from the HoloKron Group List menu and then selecting the stage you wish to race ... Directions and download link are in the spoiler below

PLEASE NOTE:
Unfortunately OrX Kontinuum will not work with any KSP version prior to 1.8.0 so if you're on 1.7.3 or below you are stuck with the save file method

Spoiler

1 - Download and install the latest release of OrX Kontinuum ... Download links can be found in the first post of the thread linked below (I suggest reading about some of the features)

2 - Build yourself a rover to race with

3 - Use the Craft Tuning feature to adjust your craft and save your adjustments from within the flight scene (Please consult the first post of the OrX Kontinuum thread for further details)

4 - Scan for the challenge from within the OrX Kontinuum menu while in the flight scene

2a9OHSl.png

tlZseTi.png

(Below is for the Short Track Racing series but it is the same ... click on the stage you wish to race)
hQY7jpB.png

5 - Move to within 25 meters of the HoloKron and the HoloKron menu will automagically open (image is of a short track challenge but the buttons are the same ... although the Spawn Challenge will not be there since this is a Dakar challenge type)

WR0G4EV.png

6 - Enter a challengers name and click on 'Start Challenge' to start the race and have a targeting reticle appear on screen sowing you where the finish line for the stage is located

PLEASE NOTE:
- When a player starts a challenge their craft will be picked up, rotated to face the first stage gate (the finish gate in the case of Dakar racing) and then will be placed at the exact coordinates of the HoloKron ... Everyone starts a challenge from the exact same position and facing in the same direction

- While a challengers craft is being placed the brake action group will be enabled (aka the parking brake) ... Timer starts when the challenger starts moving ... don't forget to disable the parking brake :wink:

- A menu will also appear displaying the total challenge time as well as the distance to the next checkpoint/stage gate ... times between checkpoint/stage gate are recorded to the scoreboard

- When competing in a Dakar challenge the stage gate for the finish line will spawn and be placed when you are within 800 meters as well as being rotated to face the challenger

Below are screenshots of the OrX K scoreboard and scoreboard entry details menu (images are for a different racing challenge but there is no difference in this case)

EYQ4iNB.png

yND8m58.png

- ADDITIONAL NOTES -

- Use mods or make it stock, it's up to you.

- You can use electric, jet engines, both if you like but no powered flight (that also means don't use jet engines while jumping).

- Boost Flaps are allowed but the above rule still stands, no powered flight (Boost Flap controller included in OrX Kontinuum ... See first post of the thread for details on Boost Flaps)

- Minimum 1 Kerbal, so no drones.

- No saving during stages.

- When a stage is finished you can save and start the next stage when ever you like.

- Put up a screenshot showing your vehicle.

- When posting your times tag myself (@DoctorDavinci) in your post showing your screenshots so I can update any scoreboard that we decide to create

- Give some information about your propulsion, mods used and tell us your story

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'This looks cool but how do I get my vehicle there?'

Well, it's fairly simple really ... either build some sort of contraption to fly or launch your rally entry to the starting line of the race or use Vessel Mover to pick your craft up and move it there
PRO TIP: If you use Vessel Mover I recommend saving the game when you place the craft and then loading that save ... This will get rid of any flickering terrain textures

Anyways ....

START YOUR ENGINES !!!!!!

- SCOREBOARD -

STAGE 1

@DoctorDavinci - 7 minutes, 27.93 seconds

@Pds314 - 9 minutes, 22 seconds

@QF9E - 10 minutes, 20.70 seconds

@purpleivan - 10 minutes, 45 seconds

@Castille7 - 13 minutes, 8 seconds

@ChaoticPheonix - 14 minutes, 28 seconds

@klond - 30 minutes, 7 seconds

STAGE 2

@DoctorDavinci - 8 minutes, 16.55 seconds

@purpleivan - 11 minutes, 8 seconds

@QF9E - 11 minutes, 13.03 seconds

@Castille7 12 minute, 34 seconds

@ChaoticPheonix - 19 minutes, 8 seconds

@klond - 44 minutes, 51 seconds

STAGE 3

@ChaoticPheonix - 10 minutes, 3 seconds

@purpleivan - 10 minutes, 36 seconds

@QF9E - 11 minutes, 44.59 seconds

@Castille7 - 11 minutes, 58 seconds

@klond - 22 minutes, 54 seconds

STAGE 4

@purpleivan - 11 minutes, 41 seconds

@QF9E - 12 minutes, 57.70 seconds

@Castille7 - 14 minutes, 7 seconds

@klond - 26 minutes, 55 seconds

STAGE 5

@purpleivan 10 minutes, 12 seconds

@QF9E - 10 minutes, 35.00 seconds

Edited by DoctorDavinci

12 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Well done everyone!  Thanks for creating this. Just as a point of comparison, what are the distances compared to last years rally to the Temple?

ScVaiE2.png

Stage 1 - 24.5 km
Stage 2 - 25.4 km
Stage 3 - 23.3 km
Stage 4 - 24.9 km
Stage 5 - 23.6 km

Edited by DoctorDavinci

6 minutes ago, ChaoticPheonix said:

Hey, I started a new save file and tried to load the save provided in the first post, but it fails to load the save every time. I've also tried loading from my main save file with the same effect. Any idea what's going on?

Did you edit the file as described in the OP of the thread to match your KSP version?

Need more information than 'it fails to load'

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

ScVaiE2.png

Stage 1 - 24.5 km
Stage 2 - 25.4 km
Stage 3 - 23.3 km
Stage 4 - 24.9 km
Stage 5 - 23.6 km

Sorry, I was not clear. I saw the map; I was curious if you remembered how long the previous route had been in last year's challenge?  That would give me an idea of time.  (To be fair, I should just go searching myself...)

17 minutes ago, Triop said:

Looking good, guys.

Good luck to all the contestants, looking forward to see the reports. :cool:

I heard things are a bit rough at the moment. Best wishes and know we are thinking of you.

Edited by Klapaucius

41 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Did you edit the file as described in the OP of the thread to match your KSP version?

Need more information than 'it fails to load'

I was under the impression that it wouldn't need an edit in version 1.8.1, but I just did it anyway with the same result. I load into KSP, load up my save file, then I press ESC and go to load the file. When I do, it says "Unable to load the save:Kerbal.Dakar". I'm running KSP version 1.8.1 with a few mods including:

- Kerbal Foundries

- USI Kolonization

- Environmental Visual Enhancements

Update: So as I was writing this I was testing stuff because I didn't want to have made a stupid mistake. I got it to work by deleting the original persistent.sfs file and replacing it with the Dakar one, renamed. I also noticed that there were two lines: VersionFull and VersionCreated that were both using 1.7.3 numbers, so I copied the corresponding lines from the original save. For those having issues loading the save, if any, try this (ideally on a new save file to avoid deleting anything important).

50 minutes ago, ChaoticPheonix said:

I was under the impression that it wouldn't need an edit in version 1.8.1, but I just did it anyway with the same result. I load into KSP, load up my save file, then I press ESC and go to load the file. When I do, it says "Unable to load the save:Kerbal.Dakar". I'm running KSP version 1.8.1 with a few mods including:

- Kerbal Foundries

- USI Kolonization

- Environmental Visual Enhancements

Update: So as I was writing this I was testing stuff because I didn't want to have made a stupid mistake. I got it to work by deleting the original persistent.sfs file and replacing it with the Dakar one, renamed. I also noticed that there were two lines: VersionFull and VersionCreated that were both using 1.7.3 numbers, so I copied the corresponding lines from the original save. For those having issues loading the save, if any, try this (ideally on a new save file to avoid deleting anything important).

I think I know what is going on ... GitHub replaces spaces in a file name with periods and it could be that KSP is having a problem with more than 1 period in the file name

Thanks for bringing this to my attention ... I'll update the OP

One question though, since you're on KSP 1.8.1 why not just use OrX Kontinuum ... It does all the calculations for your times as well as saves it to a scoreboard

Edited by DoctorDavinci

2 minutes ago, ChaoticPheonix said:

I was having issues where it just quit to desktop with no warning whatsoever. That was also before any other of my mods were installed.

I really would have liked to see your KSP.log after that happened ... It is the first report of crash to desktop in 6 months of development and over 20 QA testers

Just now, ChaoticPheonix said:

I'll try a reinstall and see if I can replicate it if you'd like.

That would be very helpful ... Please post your results in the ORX Kontinuum Development thread if you decide to move forward with testing

Please include some specs about your system as well if possible

Thanx :)

Messing with the EDF throttle in mid-air lets me make some insane jumps and still land them correctly. I'm 20 meters in the air with no control surfaces or reaction wheels and this jump was not damaging.
Kgo872O.png

Edited by Pds314

TFW your rover makes it further without a pilot than with one, 10 kilometers beyond where the pilot fell off.... It's not setting any time records with a meandering path with cruise control at 7 m/s, but... maybe altitude records with its natural tendency to automatically orient itself uphill?

WzSCU6o.png

Edited by Pds314

I almost wonder if going around most of the dangerous area and maintaining 100-147 m/s is a viable strategy. Considering there's no way I will survive if I try to maintain like >50 m/s in the dangerous area.

Edited by Pds314

Presenting the 2020 Dakar Rally Truck designed and built by Phoenix Aerospace.

This truck features a 4 wheel drive electric drive train merged with a super efficient turbine engine for high speed and amazing fuel efficiency. It also features solar power generation that handles most of the power of the drive train on its own. As a backup and/or for night time operation, it also features a quad array of state-of-the-art fuel cells that use the onboard fuel mixture to power the drive train in the case of a lack of solar energy. Crewed by four kerbals (2 drivers and 2 engineers) so that the truck can perform at peak capabilities throughout the race. 

Z8UxfM2.jpg

Race Start: 00:00:30

Side note: I'm super glad the rock sliders were added below the bottom mounted fuel tanks. Some of the peaks were sharp enough to require them or I'd be lacking fuel now.

2FmYwmm.jpg

End at Stage 1

Stage 0-1 End: 00:14:58
Stage 0-1 Final Time: 14 minutes, 28 seconds.

EDIT: I realize now that my end resource stats aren't visible. I have another screenshot from about 30 seconds after I finished with the resources in view if needed to validate my entry.

EDIT2: Forgot to tag @DoctorDavinci

Edited by ChaoticPheonix

Stage 1-2: This stage damaged the truck but it's still drive-able so the crew decided to push on till the end of stage 2. The rest of the rally will be slower because of the loss of the turbine drive and climbing may be an issue. Only time will tell.

5pUSOvU.jpg

Stage 1-2 Start: 00:20:01

wPbev0Q.jpg

Unexpected air time caused some pretty significant damage to the rear end, destroying the turbine engine and mangling the rear drive-train. The team analyzed the damage and decided to push on. Once they got to the end of the stage, they'd radio in to race HQ and ask about the rulings behind repairing and replacing vehicles.

Z5ngHE4.jpg

pIedghO.jpg

Stage 1-2 End: 00:39:09

Stage 1-2 Final Time: 19 minutes, 8 seconds

I tried to get the vehicle to a stop, but the damage to the wheels is causing the whole thing to slide constantly, even with brakes deployed. @DoctorDavinci

Edited by ChaoticPheonix

Stage 2-3: Without radio contact, the team decided to push on with the crippled vehicle, and managed to make the next stage in quite impressive time. The fuel cells were working over time on this stage given the lack of the turbine, but the truck carries what should be more than enough fuel to finish the race.

PiC1XcS.jpg

Stage 2-3 Start: 00:46:10

E0O3qPJ.jpg

Stage 2-3 End: 00:56:13

Stage 2-3 Final Time: 10 minutes, 3 seconds @DoctorDavinci

The chassis made it to within 652 m of the end of stage 1.... I need to drive slightly less aggressively so there's still fuel cells, a Kerbal, a command chair, more than one stabilization fin, the coaxial EDF, the Fuel tank, lights, etc when it gets there...

lruZYuX.png

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.