The Official Kerbal Dakar 2020

Just now, Pds314 said:

Well that would seem to indicate that my route is faster since my current performance is 9:22. Then again, vehicle and driving style do definitely matter.

Possibly ... although you have a faster vehicle

I am going to take a look at a more direct route but it comes down to the average speed like you mentioned above ... a higher average speed will be required to go around the mountains

10:54 isn't that bad for Bill's Big Bad Beaver, top speed that run was 102.1 m/s using 2 Junos and weighed down with enough fuel to do the whole course ... I may just have to bring out the Mad Moose and go right over the top (although I think I need to strap some rockets to that beast ... moar boosters :))

Time to pull out and modify the Mad Moose

Spoiler

I don't want to strap rockets to the Mad Moose as that would require a total redesign

I made a couple modifications to Bills  Big Bad Beaver, gave her new paint job and took her for a rip over the top in a mostly direct line .... 7 minutes 3 seconds :D

Top speed 96.6 m/s ... I would say I was over 70 m/s for most of the run

So it seems that the old saying is true ... Don't go around the problem, go straight through it and run it over

(this isn't my official entry ... I'm quite confident I can get this stage under 7 minutes :))

y0Btd9I.png

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Not set a time yet, but came close.

On the start line, Val felt confident, so confident that she ignored the whole "don't go in a straight line" business and gunned it straight for the target.

8D7DiYu.png

But some issues with something hidden in the terrain, near the edge of the mountains, caused here vehicle to suddenly flip.

This threw her clear of the vehicle, which raced off into the distance.

WJtBmH5.png

A couple of attempts later, the culprit seemed to have been found... quicksand.

jTka9dh.png

On her next attempt, she steered clear of the problematic area, then made quick progress over the mountains towards the temple complex.

With the temple in sight, it was looking like she was going to set a good time,

QNHUWJA.png

However Val forgot the bumpiness of the downhill section... with the inevitable results.

neHe4wb.png

So close, so close Val... well nothing to it but to make another attempt.

vUTKIbj.png

1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

Val's been out testing her ride "The Goat" for Dakar 2020, in the mountains to the West of the KSC.

5uEnx8M.png

Pc9KbOt.png

Now to check out the course to choose a route.

That's probably very overkill vs rugged terrain even for the most direct route possible. Yet at the same time I don't know if it will be getting any speed records without boosters.

Val finally made it all the way to the finish this time... paging @DoctorDavinci.

Start time 5:00

yxkLggn.png

Approaching the mountains.

BYuatfw.png

A bit of climbing, but not that steep.

eGSikOy.png

Up in the mountains now and apart from dodging jagged bits of terrain (and the mountain peak near the temple) she's heading straight at the finish line.

wuPZ4rv.png

Getting close now... nerves setting in.

wPsTrPs.png

Take it easy Val... finishing upside down doesn't count.

MwXp0ur.png

The finish line at 15:45

lm5Q2tO.png

Val's very happy with a time of 10:45, but panics about paying the bill for destroying the finish line flag.

qUPpUAa.png

Not a bad run, but far from perfect. I was being careful on some of the down hill sections in the mountains and the run down to the finish line was much slower than necessary.

A 10:15 time is probably possibly with The Goat.

Edited by purpleivan

As the Phoenix Aerospace enters their second day racing, a radio call is sent out to command "This is Virke kerman to base, truck #414 has flipped and taken irreparable damage. Requesting an evac."

6n1DDRn.jpg

The support truck was deployed to rescue the crew.

eqmEndG.jpg

5uEWyld.jpg

PRDRqIt.jpg

LH9XZBP.jpg

The crew has been safely returned to race HQ, where they discuss what happened and how to fix the truck for the next run.

34 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Still haven't learned my lesson concerning brakes but I made it in under 7 minutes with a top speed of 90.2 m/s :D ... Gotta do that again but this time the objective is to not smash into the small pyramid

XvOl7KN.png

If you crossed the finish line and are still able to stand, it's all good!

Edited by Klapaucius

Val's just completed the 2nd stage, in a time of 11:08 (start time 33:00 finish time 44:08.

Is there a @DoctorDavinci in the house?

Here's the record of the trip.

FSHOlBC.png

y0rFYJ5.png

vJ4t1he.png

oFXcSwK.png

XHmHHES.png

Here's the full story with additional pics.

Spoiler

Val eager to set off... this place is spooky.

lzvfhsy.png

See ya temple complex.

hTPx82M.png

Plenty of airbourne entertainment.

SMtcxKj.png

Ok... head for the top of that mountain.

Sr6QbwE.png

That's it, now just go over the top and head straight for the finish flag.

vJ4t1he.png

No, not that way. I know it's easier going down there, but it's a pretty big detour.

t8YJ5PL.png

AIRBORNE!!!

rDeyDoR.png

Ok... clear of all that bumpy stuff now, nothing but smooth driving ahead.

oFXcSwK.png

AIRBOURNE... AGAIN!!!

Y6BIyIM.png

Almost there now.

G43wkeW.png

Posing at the finish line.

EbmDjE5.png

Edited by purpleivan

Ok @DoctorDavinci I've got a time for stage 3... 10:36.

Starting at 48:00 and ending at 58:36

XNgak43.png

nHfg2yf.png

BioYJi2.png

ZtTeujX.png

84deS9E.png

KZVDFgU.png

This stage was more eventful than the previous two, even though most of it is easier than those, with the first half being relatively flat.

Here's some more pics, including the some less than successful runs.

Spoiler

A couple of times on my final run, plus on others, I had this wierd thing happen in which the rover would suddenly decelerate, as if the brakes had been slammed on, then go into reverse, until I stopped trying to go forwards. Inevitably this would spin the rover round, halting progress for precious seconds.

0aAkcPV.png

Heading for the final mountain climb

H1TYxAx.png

Down the cliff face

2MNPpx1.png

Val looking relieved on reaching the bottom.

JEqHFbi.png

And now some of the earlier, unsuccessful runs.

This doesn't look good.

wApKki2.png

Nope... not good at all.

Wbq4eis.png

Maybe I should put my helmet back on... you know, for safety.

zGqmGxz.png

Tripping over a small bump at the bottom of the cliff, 3km from the finish.

RlLdEzQ.png

So it's back to the starting line again huh.

g0qJb8V.png

@DoctorDavinci Thanks for your improvements to OrX: with the updated DLL I no longer have any problems. And with everything working smoothly I am enjoying this challenge immensely! I also significantly improved on my previous stage 1 time:

Z2wmDcm.png

Still 100% powered by the sun. Well, there's a 200 capacity battery but that's only enough to drive a couple of seconds. My car is quite flimsy so I need to be careful when cresting ridges as it does not take landings well.

One thing I did that drastically improved driving: I reassigned W and S (the default for driving forwards and backwards) to different keys (in my case, UpArrow and DownArrow). This prevents my car from taking a nosedive during a jump, as W is pitch down in flying mode. Maybe the more experienced KSP racing car drivers among you know about this, but for me this simple setting change made all the difference.

I also include an SAS module to counteract roll, while also reassigning "steer left" and "steer right" to Q and E - which means my car steers and rolls at the same time. This seems to diminish the car's tendency to flip during turns. The SAS module also means I can correct the car's attitude while airborne, to prevent the front wheels from landing first (which will induce a forward tumble and crash).

3 hours ago, QF9E said:

reassigning "steer left" and "steer right" to Q and E - which means my car steers and rolls at the same time

Mmm, good idea.

Stage 2 complete - 44:56 (45:56-1:05)

I'm using the .sfs file now cuz OrX loses my time when I get flung out the vehicle.

Spoiler

Got sign fixed last night.  Started out the next morning.

3tTpRBp.png

1st hill climb slow AF.  SAS on helped keep the front end down.

W2CASLb.png

Didn't know I could high-center a vehicle in this game.  Reaction wheel, engage.  Also I hit a bump early here and lost my front RTG, so I'm down to 1/2 power generation and reduced counterweight to the stupid sign.

QihOioU.png

Crested a hill too fast and went over easy.  Engage reaction wheel again.  Couple bruises.  Lost a minute.

mrPVNSY.png

Ugh, 1/2 power up these hills was a slog-fest.  Had to stop and recharge.  Lost a few minutes.  Down to 2wd, lights off, and reduced SAS to conserve energy.

RNVSbC3.png

4 or 6 wheel power was ok on the straights.  40m/s downhill (was nervous tho after last rollover).

H4mfCh5.png

Final

gBbTMa7.png

20 hours ago, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

Ok. I've got an idea of what I will use.   @DoctorDavinci Is this legal...? It does have rover wheels

https://i.postimg.cc/15fR3rsB/147.png

The only real solid rule about the Kerbal Dakar is you must drive across the ground

Jumps, airtime etc... is all allowed

Basically don't fly the course and you're good

Edited by DoctorDavinci

3 minutes ago, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

Oh YEY. What I made was a panther powered land yacht thing?...

It hates even the slightest bump :)

Well as long as you don't fly the course you should be good

The general rule in regards to jet engine powered cars in the Dakar is that if you become airborne then you must shut down your engine or use Boost Flaps to block the thrust .... Basically no thrust or any force from engines is allowed while in the air

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Well as long as you don't fly the course you should be good

The general rule in regards to jet engine powered cars in the Dakar is that if you become airborne then you must shut down your engine or use Boost Flaps to block the thrust .... Basically no thrust or any force from engines is allowed while in the air

Godammit. I'll have to restart... I JUST finished my initial attempt and was about to post it! ;.;

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.