The Official Kerbal Dakar 2020

Got it on 2nd try.  No sandtraps.  I went left to avoid first mountain, then straight-on.  Disclaimer: we sent out an engineer and technician to raise the vehicle suspension .1m.

Final stage complete! - 25:29 (26:10-00:41)

Edit: Vote for Jeb

Spoiler

Start

JLTxaIE.png

Beefed it a few times

os7iC1Q.png

Lost some lights

20JFp8E.png

Action shot

nssQH5H.png

Sick air

3yz5pAt.png

Cresting that final hill and seeing the airstrip is awesome

GbnLwHt.png

Final

uIMHkEt.png

Edited by klond

• 2 weeks later...

I might be overdoing it, this is probably my 20th iteration !  I tried almost every type of suspension I could think of, but always crashed in the last downhill part at 4km of 1st flag xD The rover is fantastic, but even with triple pistons in front, they sometimes break on heavy landings (7G +/-) !

vBZpTWR.jpg

65QzUeq.jpg

NA64W3O.jpg

On 2/4/2020 at 1:47 PM, Kerbolitto said:

I might be overdoing it, this is probably my 20th iteration !  I tried almost every type of suspension I could think of, but always crashed in the last downhill part at 4km of 1st flag xD The rover is fantastic, but even with triple pistons in front, they sometimes break on heavy landings (7G +/-) !

vBZpTWR.jpg

Pretty sweet.  Very insect-looking.

6 hours ago, klond said:

Pretty sweet.  Very insect-looking.

Yea .. Its hard to package the suspension because how tall they are ! I tried a push-rod design (bit more compact) but it's not as good to absorb heavy landings. Its a blast to drive, even if I never finish first stage after 5/6 trials :D

2 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

I was looking at the temple, throttle cut-off, and I jumped a nasty bump :D

There's that moment coming over the crest of the descent down to the temple when you see it and think "ah... there it is, not far to go now, all downhill from here". Half the time I take it overly slow coming down that bumpy slope, the other half I forgot all about being sensible.

Inevitable result being a "bounce... uh oh, tumble, I've got this... no I haven't, restart race" moment.

Edited by purpleivan

1 minute ago, purpleivan said:

There's that moment coming over the crest of the descent down to the temple when you see it and think "ah... there it is, not far to go now, all downhill from here". Half the time I take it overly slow coming down that bumpy slope, the other half I forgot all about being sensible.

Inevitable result being a "bounce... uh oh, tumble, I've got this... no I haven't, restart race" moment.

Yeah .. Im flooring the pedal 98% of the time, only lifting after a huge compression :D Main problem is that the hinges are wobbly, they also compress from the front to the back on heavy landings, and the wheel hates it D:

Ok I've completed first stage, after many crashes.. failed jumps.. broken parts.. adventures !

I've mistakenly took 2 different screenshots of the starting line, from differents trials. Timer starts at 1:03:59, my second screenshot was set at 1:05:00, I think this would be more in line due to added power on the rover, but it's more fair to post the longest time.

Stage 1 : 11:42

Starting line : 1:03:59

9MupFm8.jpg

Full compression :

yI2DLDk.jpg

High speed downhill (record was 57m/s :D)

9RamnUG.jpg

End of the stage : 1:15:41

PlxZ9g7.jpg

STAGE 2 :

Hopefully this thing has brakes, I used them only 1 time on first part but 10 to 15 during this second stage ! :D

yNwvC4i.jpg

High speed rebound :

s2mPfuK.jpg

Buggy-ing around :

sn7bq5O.jpg

More jumps :D

GCEq9Nn.jpg

Finish line, let's add 1 second by the time I passed the flag :

Wkhy1ob.jpg

Starting time 01:40:00

Finish line 01:51:30

Stage 2 Official-time11:30

Stage 3 !

I've just completed this third part after only one try :D !

Starting at 1:58:00

nBXnXIZ.jpg

Small jump in the sunset :

PUd8ZZs.jpg

Easy with acrobatics !

t6CNY3a.jpg

Full speed downhill :

3ZO8Y4j.jpg

Finish line 2:07:47

nU5HtOx.jpg

Stage 3 total time : 09:47 !

I knew those suspensions could be competitive :D

Edit : Sadly I braked too hard after posting this reply and flipped the rover over, replacement has arrived !

574BhZz.jpg

Edited by Kerbolitto

• 2 weeks later...

heyo, hopefully this challenge is still active. i'm an old player coming back to the game and have missed(and forgotten) a lot.

but the save file seems to be incompatible with the new 1.9 build?

or i just plainly don't remember how to change save files anymore. because i THINK i followed the directions on the OP closely enough

Here is a (ugly) video of another failed attempt at stage 4, the last part is really difficult ! You can see how the rover's suspension procede through high speed bumps, until I broke some parts, then some others, made some very (unexpected) acrobatics and broke everything at the end :D

S

On 3/1/2020 at 1:48 PM, Kerbolitto said:

Here is a (ugly) video of another failed attempt at stage 4, the last part is really difficult ! You can see how the rover's suspension procede through high speed bumps, until I broke some parts, then some others, made some very (unexpected) acrobatics and broke everything at the end :D

Many of my attempts looked much like this one. The last part being really difficult is why I encourage a player to find a good path and stick with it until you learn where to slow down.

This was my first time doing this race and it was very fun even though I didn't get really good timing. :/ 

5 hours ago, Castille7 said:

Many of my attempts looked much like this one. The last part being really difficult is why I encourage a player to find a good path and stick with it until you learn where to slow down.

Yeah problem is the vehicle takes a ton of speed downhill, and it bounces too often to keep its balance :D The less I use brakes the happier I am !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.