[1.8.x-1.12.x] - RasterPropMonitor (adopted)

JonnyOThan

Hello, I have downloaded DE_IVA Extension and all its dependenices on the latest version of KSP

Everything in the cockpit shows up and switches function but I am getting nothing displaying on the screens not even the Junk Systems Inc and the heads up display virtual horizon only changes with pitch not roll (roll only changes to the state it was at when changing to cockpit view, which I believe is RPMs fault. I am happy to supply log files if this is not a easy fix. I do have a few other mods installed (show in the gyazo link) I am on the latest version of all the mods I could find (RPM v0.31.2) https://gyazo.com/1d6141e23c98846d07a3f517b110d20b unknown.png?width=962&height=541

Edited by hotcookie101

I am seeing an issue similar to hotcookie - I have a 1.10 KSP, and have only installed DE_IVA Extension and its dependencies. Most aspects of the stock command pod work, but:

* The navball on the MFD does not rotate

* Switching between normal view and IVA view cause the navball to move for ~0.5 seconds before freezing again

* All MFD pages seem to function well; even the one containing the navball updates things like the prograde/retrograde marker and the various numerical readouts, it's only the ball itself that seems jammed.

commented on this in the github issues. I hadn't posted it here because it would be more noticed there, plus it's expected that it may need tweaking with 1.10 anyways.

Edited by RW-1

9 hours ago, Zorkinian said:

I am seeing an issue similar to hotcookie - I have a 1.10 KSP, and have only installed DE_IVA Extension and its dependencies. Most aspects of the stock command pod work, but:

* Switching between normal view and IVA view cause the navball to move for ~0.5 seconds before freezing again

* All MFD pages seem to function well; even the one containing the navball updates things like the prograde/retrograde marker and the various numerical readouts, it's only the ball itself that seems jammed.

Does that mean your screen is showing something?

Edited by hotcookie101
Accidentally clicked save

On 7/7/2020 at 12:55 PM, hotcookie101 said:

Thanks! Do you mind commenting about the screens not working for me as I do not have a GitHub account?

It's probably better for you do that yourself; I don't fully understand your issue, and if they ask any clarifying questions, I won't have your context.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:28 PM, Mrj4ck said:

Also, just asking, is it possible that i have IVA monitors only with DE_IVAExtensions? I only have monitor fors Cupola pod if DE_IVAExstension 1.0.2 is not installed...

This is expected, see details here: https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor/issues/13#issuecomment-656765769

On 7/6/2020 at 9:06 PM, Zorkinian said:

Seems to be some kind of compatibility issue with 1.10.  I'll look into this soon.

On 7/5/2020 at 10:03 AM, hotcookie101 said:

Hello, I have downloaded DE_IVA Extension and all its dependenices on the latest version of KSP

Everything in the cockpit shows up and switches function but I am getting nothing displaying on the screens not even the Junk Systems Inc

This sounds like your command pod is out of power (you wouldn't be the first to report this :p ).  However the other problems sound like 1.10 compatibility (see above)

3 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

This is expected, see details here: https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor/issues/13#issuecomment-656765769

Seems to be some kind of compatibility issue with 1.10.  I'll look into this soon.

This sounds like your command pod is out of power (you wouldn't be the first to report this :p ).  However the other problems sound like 1.10 compatibility (see above)

Thanks a lot for taking a look! As always, we deeply appreciate your work on this project. KSP is greatly enhanced by the IVA experience.

Looks like the problem is here:

* Hide UI elements that aren't being used and avoid unnecessary updates in flight mode.

Roll, pitch and yaw variables are no longer being updated when the UI navball is hidden, I guess.

I haven't run in debug mode yet to confirm, but Manul definitely seems on the right track. Heading/Pitch/Roll are calculated by directly finding the KSP NavBall and pulling information out of it. If the NavBall is no longer updating under the hood, RPM would also get no updates:

https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor/blob/f79d1d4c3e99132e3ebcf6caf3a8cd26b34ff7a9/RasterPropMonitor/Core/RPMVesselComputer.cs#L675

https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor/blob/f79d1d4c3e99132e3ebcf6caf3a8cd26b34ff7a9/RasterPropMonitor/Core/RPMVesselComputer.cs#L1130

https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor/blob/f79d1d4c3e99132e3ebcf6caf3a8cd26b34ff7a9/RasterPropMonitor/Core/RPMCEvaluators.cs#L1293

If there's some way to force the NavBall to continue updating, that should help things; if not, then the rotationVesselSurface data will have to come from some other source.

22 hours ago, Zorkinian said:

I haven't run in debug mode yet to confirm, but Manul definitely seems on the right track. Heading/Pitch/Roll are calculated by directly finding the KSP NavBall and pulling information out of it. If the NavBall is no longer updating under the hood, RPM would also get no updates:

https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor/blob/f79d1d4c3e99132e3ebcf6caf3a8cd26b34ff7a9/RasterPropMonitor/Core/RPMVesselComputer.cs#L675

https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor/blob/f79d1d4c3e99132e3ebcf6caf3a8cd26b34ff7a9/RasterPropMonitor/Core/RPMVesselComputer.cs#L1130

https://github.com/JonnyOThan/RasterPropMonitor/blob/f79d1d4c3e99132e3ebcf6caf3a8cd26b34ff7a9/RasterPropMonitor/Core/RPMCEvaluators.cs#L1293

If there's some way to force the NavBall to continue updating, that should help things; if not, then the rotationVesselSurface data will have to come from some other source.

So that would affect our navball MFd, but not the actual navball from squad itself?

54 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Update for 1.10 just published.  Please try it out and let me know about any issues.  Many thanks to @Manul and @Zorkinian for pinpointing exactly where the problem was - it saved me a lot of time!

Trying now...

ASET MFD Navball now responsive, all other features were ok to begin with.

Will continue to eval, but I think we're good.

Thanks guys for working on this!

Update:  Using ASET instrumentation, think something is borked, but with vessel viewer, if i hit that with any MFD, I then lose cockpit clickability across the board. and MFD navball locks, going to see if reinstalling/update to vessel view corrects.

Edited by RW-1

17 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@JonnyOThan thanx for the fix!

However, at least on my install, the navball seems VERY choppy with its updates... like once every 0.5~1 second... vOv
and this is just with RPM itself installed.. no ASET stuff

That’s interesting.  I don’t think I functionally changed the timing of the updates, but I did notice that the update was in a place that could be throttled. Were other variables/gauges also updating slowly?

which pod was it?

Thanks for the update @JonnyOThan!

Just fired up the game with the old ASET -powered ERS rover, and the MFD navball updates just fine, as do the prop-based ones. Previously, they would behave in the exact same way; frozen at the orientation the craft was, just before switching to IVA.

Spoiler

CCB95A27E4C1DD9D3B3411B6B6E6C35E8A6686E9

No sluggishness or stuttering at all in this one.

Jumped into a Mk1-pod aircraft just to be sure, and it behaves just as well.

1 hour ago, JonnyOThan said:

Were other variables/gauges also updating slowly?

which pod was it?

idk... it was actually just a very quick launch abort test on just a pod... so I didnt check any of the other MFDs

Pod is a glass cockpit, with only 6 MFDs and stock navball and 2 gauges (which I wasnt watching) :P

HHyxV2J.png

1 hour ago, Beetlecat said:
  Hide contents

CCB95A27E4C1DD9D3B3411B6B6E6C35E8A6686E9

wait... what HUD is that??

Edited by Stone Blue

Update, uninstalled vessel view, and now the issue of everything locking up after selecting it in a MFD has gone. But only thin g changed is going to 1.10 and new RPM. working before.

Can anyone else test that with ASET and Vessel View 1.8.0-0.8.8.3?