[1.8.x-1.12.x] - RasterPropMonitor (adopted)

JonnyOThan

Hello!  As @MOARdv has stepped away from development of RPM, I'm going to maintain it - at least provide new builds for new KSP versions.  I am incredibly grateful for their work which has provided me hundreds of hours of fun.

Link to original thread.

***This mod alone does not contain very many IVAs for the current stock command pods.  See below for a list of other IVA packs you might want***

DOWNLOAD: From GitHub.  IVAs require Module Manager, which is not bundled with this mod.

RasterPropMonitor is a plugin and toolkit originally by Mihara that provides functional props within your IVA. It was originally designed for the displays of the ALCOR capsule, but it evolved to add more features and widgets, dragging the Kerbal Space Program into the 21st Century. RPM includes some overrides for stock capsules (and a few mod capsules) to show off what can be done, but there's far more in the plugin than these examples can show.

QBmHJFP.png

CKAN USERS: 

As of RPM v0.31.2, installation via CKAN is officially supported. CKAN provides two packages: RasterPropMonitor is the entire mod including the JSI Agency and example IVA overrides. RasterPropMonitor-core only includes the plugin and props for use in other mods. If you install only RasterPropMonitor-core, you must also install some other IVA mods.

HOW TO GET HELP: 

Make sure you've installed Module Manager and followed the installation instructions on GitHub or in the readme file. Then read this post and post a comment on this thread that includes your ksp.log file and screenshots of the problem.  If you don't include the entire log file you will probably not get help. Yes, the entire thing. You can compress it first if it's too large.

If you have a reproducible bug or suggestions for changes, you are welcome to open an issue on the github issue tracker. Please first use the search feature to see if it's already been reported, and include your log file and screenshots in the issue.

DOCUMENTATION: Want to tweak an IVA to your liking? Documentation is on GitHub.

RELEASE NOTES: On GitHub.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: Also on GitHub.

SOURCE CODE: Also on GitHub (notice a theme? :D ).

LICENSE: GNU GPLv3. Props courtesy of alexustas and other contributors, and available under the terms of CC 3.0 BY-NC-SA. Portions of this package are derived from stock textures by Squad and are distributed according to Squad policy of permitting to distribute stock assets with mods if required.

TinyPirate's 2-minute-mod review:

Add-ons for RasterPropMonitor:

Plugins that integrate with RasterPropMonitor, enhancing the IVA experience.

Plugins RasterPropMonitor can interact with, enhancing the IVA experience even more.

• Ferram Aerospace Research: for FAR-computed variables, as well as controlling flaps and spoilers from IVA.
  • MechJeb: for all sorts of auto-pilot features and flight information.
  • RealChute: RPM can arm, disarm, deploy, and cut RealChute parachutes (as well as deploying and cutting stock 'chutes).

RasterPropMonitor contains example props based on stock internal props. If you want to create a really good looking IVA, you should consider grabbing Alexustas' ASET Props. It implements more of RPM's features than any other mod I've seen. Even better, ASET Avionics provides props for space planes (or any other IVA wanting some aviation-styled props).

Reviva by @610yesnolovely is an excellent mod that allows for switching the IVA of a given part between different variants.

IVAs for stock pods:

Other IVAs:

Other suggested mods for IVA playing:

Don't see a current IVA project on this list? Let me know. I may have missed it, or I may not have imported it from the original RPM thread. Speaking of which...

Mihara had more to say about RPM on the original thread (and I'll edit this post some time down the road to include more of the links and info he had).

Edited by JonnyOThan
add ultimate shuttle & reviva links

@JonnyOThan While CKAN is great for people who use it, (generally those who auto-install mods), I know theres a significant number of people who do NOT use it, and prefer manually installing mods.

While I really like that many devs use Github for hosting, there isnt really any readily available resource for indexing or quickly finding links or current info for KSP mods hosted on Github, other than searching through the forums, or specifcally looking up the mods' thread to find a Github link. Also, unfortunately, many devs do not specifically state what versions of KSP specific versions of a mod are compatable with.

SpaceDock is a great resource, IMHO, for all that, and as an alternative hosting location. Especially when people may quit modding for KSP, and end up deleting or removing their repos.

SpaceDock has a Recently Updated Mods page, which I browse quite regularly, and its nice to get a quick handle on what mods have recently updated, instead of scouring the forums. People can also follow mod listings there, to get notifications when a mod has updated, etc...

Also, I believe SD can automatically handle updating NETKAN files for each release.

I know its an extra step for a dev, when pushing out a release, but after initial setup, there's not much moar than just a few clicks to do. vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

Anyone tried the 1.8.1 recompile on KSP 1.7.3?
Wondering if its backward compatible... vOv (I dont have a working 1.7.3 install anymoar to try it on
:P )

edit: nevermind... had the KSP version for Tegmil's patch mixed up...

Edited by Stone Blue

I went ahead last night and replaced RPM with this one.

Awesome! My IVA's typically from alexustas, are showing with the Q-Ball display correctly orientated, not upside down. :)

I have noticed though that the map MFD's, are not showing, just blank white, and in the Orbit MFD I have no capsule indication of my "position"

Any recommended corrective procedure I may try? (remove all and reinstall perhaps?)

It's terrific that JonnyOThan took over! I have been waiting to play for a bit as all this got sorted.

Thanks beforehand...

2 hours ago, RW-1 said:

I have noticed though that the map MFD's, are not showing, just blank white, and in the Orbit MFD I have no capsule indication of my "position"

There's a bug in SCANsat - needs to be fixed on their side: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/issues/359

I have a fix for the orbit display icons, and it'll be in the next release.  Waiting a bit to see if anything else pops up before pushing it out.

FWIW, you can look for issues (closed or open) on the github page, to see if it's already been reported and/or fixed.  I also invite you to open a new issue there (more reliable tracking than a forum post!).  Just include screenshots and the KSP.log file.

21 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

There's a bug in SCANsat - needs to be fixed on their side: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/issues/359

I have a fix for the orbit display icons, and it'll be in the next release.  Waiting a bit to see if anything else pops up before pushing it out.

FWIW, you can look for issues (closed or open) on the github page, to see if it's already been reported and/or fixed.  I also invite you to open a new issue there (more reliable tracking than a forum post!).  Just include screenshots and the KSP.log file.

No problem with that Jonny, I appreciate your taking the time out to respond directly. My first thought was it may have been that I needed to tweak something in my IVA mods themselves, hence a community question in case that turned out to be the cause.

If I see anything else, I will be sure to assist by reporting thru Github for you.

Patiently will await the next release.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Curious as to your not wanting to use CKAN?  The previous version did. If its just a matter of getting it into CKAN, then I’d be happy to set it up for you. 
Le5 me know.

It's in progress already, will be merged once a new release comes out addressing a few concerns.
https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/7608

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Curious as to your not wanting to use CKAN?

I copied most of that from MOARdV's original post.  I've been working with the CKAN folks (Hi @HebaruSan!) and it'll be officially supported on the next release.

Edited by JonnyOThan

7 minutes ago, JordanLOL said:

I locked staging, But I didnt press the button nor anything else to lock it

I've seen reports of similar issues that have nothing to do with RPM.  This can also happen if you're in timewarp or if you have the mouse over a window that wants to eat input.  Please at least include your ksp.log file if you expect support.

I am just guessing, But do I have to use action groups forever now..?

... a log file...

Mhh... can't I just use a command in the console to unlock it?

I do not even know how to get a log file, I am a regular ( and terrible ) Ksp player :/

I am going to try my best

I am searching through the sheer 200GB on my PC

@JonnyOThanI have a problem with the mod, I extracted it to the GameData folder, but when I go to launch KSP, in the loading screen, it says that "rasterpropmoniter.dll is installed under GameData/ instead of GameData/JSI/Plugins.", so i saw there was no plugins folder in the JSI one that you made, I added one, and salvaged the rasterpropmoniter.dll file into the plugins folder I made, still says the message when I load KSP, and BTW the mod doesn't work in the  game, I didn't mention that. Please help because I can't get it to work and the old RPM version is upside down on the display.

1 hour ago, ZZute said:

I extracted it to the GameData folder; i saw there was no plugins folder in the JSI one that you made, I added one, and salvaged the rasterpropmoniter.dll file into the plugins folder I made

Please don't try to hack it together, it should work as-is.  Did you maybe download the source code zip instead of the release zip?  That would explain the missing DLL.  The release zip contains ONLY a GameData folder, which in turn contains a JSI folder.  The JSI folder needs to go inside your KSP's GameData folder.

EDIT: Actually, if the error message is telling you that it needs to go into JSI/Plugins then the error message itself is incorrect - it should be JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins/RasterPropMonitor.dll.  I'll fix that.

EDIT 2: I checked the code and it's correct, you must have copied the path down wrong.

Edited by JonnyOThan

On 1/10/2020 at 12:06 PM, JonnyOThan said:

Hi Everyone,

I can confirm for me that it is fixed in Scansat 18.14:

https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods/scansat

FYI