Create LH2-powered air-breathing engines

Kerburettor

Hi,

My question was probably not asked in the right subforum so I'm re-asking here.

I would like to know how to tweak config files to create an air-breathing jet engine that works on LH2 (from a real fuels mod for instance, or similar) and intake air.

I'm using the Real Fuels mod, Stockalike RF configs and the Solver Engines Plugin.

Thanks

Nertea's Near Future Aeronautics 

has (or had in the past?) a patch to make the 2.5m Cutlass use LH2. The Cutlass is like a rapier, but you can either use it i just air breathing mode or look at that patch and go from there

Thanks mate. I had managed to do that by adding a few lines in the cfg file in pretty much the same fashion it is done in Nertea's mod, with different values for Isp in the atmospheric/velocity curve sections. What bothers me is fuel consumption. Realistic values for Isp lead to a crazy volumetric flow rate of LH2 and LOx in closed-cycle mode. Obviously, increasing thrust (at constant Isp) is always going to cause my propellant consumption to skyrocket and putting 8 RAPIERs on my craft is bonkers. Next time I play, I'll try divinding the number of engines by two and see if that helps although it will force me to drastically modify my ascent profile due to a much lower T/W ratio.

Do you know of any mod that records data from your flight profile in real time such as thrust, lift, drag, fuel consumption, ... and stores it inside a/multiple file(s) for later analysis?

Edit: I need to mention that, as thrust reaches a peak near the 10-13 km range, my air-breathing LH2 consumption increases nearly 10 fold compared to ground-level flow rate.

Also, the ratio of LH2 to intake air had to be turned on its head otherwise a realistic ratio (cf. this thread) would cause my engines to flame out under minimal throttle. This is ridiculous.

Edited by Kerburettor

OPT has several engines that run in any atmosphere. They use liquid fuels by default. Add Cryogenic Engines (or maybe Cryogenic Tanks, a companion mod) and those engines will run on LH2 instead.

You can then reverse engineer what those mods are doing to make your own LH2 engines. I'll guess it's a Module Manager patch but I've never investigated further.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.