"The king is dead, long live the king!"

Arugela

CRT is was back baby!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

I'm sure this is old news(Very old news), but I thought it was funny.

Something said it had nano sized display point. I'm surprised this wasn't pushed further. Could you combine it with Microled or something weirder. Make one light produce many! Or interlay them for some special functions.(direct optical processing info? Computer in a monitor assuming you can't do that whe cathodes.)

Would this, if made now, be better than current monitors? SED or FED? And can SED multiscan? I read FED can't. Does it need it?

If this was made would this bring us back to analog connections and how much would it change Computer video processing needs. I'm assuming this has something to do with current costs. Would it reduce back down again? I never liked CRT being eliminated. Always felt scummy and unnecessary..

Could this hypothetically be brought back as a competitor to modern displays to make higher end monitors with less problems and less overhead?

I would assume it would be great for anyone using consoles like how we used to or low end or even high end monitors that should be close distance. Not to mention if it simplified and reduced GPU costs. Could we get it where we buy one for gaming and one for other uses? We all have slots for a second video card. Why not two video cards. Especially if the difference in processing methods was enough to not need the same bandwidth as pure digital. Could the be like super powerful tiny display cards? If all the info is stuck together before display could it work? or combine it correctly in the monitor somehow.

Or make combo cards where it can be produced in both analog direct methods combined with digital. I would think you could simplify certain things down. Maybe duel monitors with both hookups or something if needed. Then focus the RTX type stuff from one display port and the other stuff from the analog like the background. Unless you can do all of it with analog processing of some sort. Could you process directly to analog with something different to simplify some of it and not just translate it to send an analog signal?

I still wonder if microled can't start being used as hybrid electronic/optical computing. Maybe that tec becomes processing and CRT becomes display again!

If there are lots of scan guns couldn't they also make SED/FED so taht you can easily do lots of split screens for different games. Maybe different consoles at the same time or split screen for old fashion multiplayer. They should make these for retro games. And make them work with actual retro consoles. That would be a cool seeling point. Hook up an old atari or amiga or nintendo. The monitors could have cool sleek 50's looks also as the cabinet. Rounded monitor anyone?! Isn't there a really old type of TV that was supposed to be CRT and rotate on a hinge and was shaped like an eye. Might have been in a music video or something. It looks a bit like the eye from lord of the rings, but it's a 50's/60's retro case.

_Z.jpg

but eye shaped.

Maybe I'm just thinking of this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Imagine if we had these and had a true return of the desktop again. The PC could be in the lower case with a real hookup through the bottom casing.

This is literally a modern tower case with a CRT on top:

$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Edited by Arugela

Since each sub-pixel has its own emitters you wouldn't require an analog connection. It would be a digitally addressed grid just like an LCD and could natively use the same signals it could.

Given that almost all of the advantages of this technology are shared by OLED (high contrast, no backlight, low response time, wide viewing angles) I doubt we'll ever see this come back. There just isn't enough advantage to displace the now reasonably established place in the market for OLED. The only advantage I even see is that the phosphors will probably last a bit longer.

There wouldn't be an advantage to going back to analog signals. GPUs have always created a digital image and only turned it into analog signals if that is how it was to be output. The main work of a GPU is all of the parallel processing needed to build an image, in effect all of the light interactions that occur in virtual 3D space with multiple virtual lighting sources and virtual objects. The actual creation of display signals after that 3D processing is turned into a 2D image is a small part of a GPUs job that has had the option of both digital and analog output from the same GPU for several decades.

Doesn't it have less power requirement. Plus it might be nice to sell to retro console users or something. It could have all the old hookups needed plus new ones or something. I would imagine somewhat of a market could be made for it.

Maybe with speciality processing if needed for compatibility inside the monitor. Could always take some of the market as an option and just in case for other issues in the future.

Edited by Arugela

According to the linked article, SED had lower power consumption than LCD -- at least as it existed in the noughties.  That seems likely to be because of the inefficiencies of lighting the entire backplane (dark pixels and light) with a cold cathode fluorescent array.  OLEDs are much more efficient, in that they only draw light emission power for lit pixels, and in proportion to brightness, at what would have been, in first generation, about the same conversion efficiency as fluorescent, and likely is significantly better now.  They also have most of the other advantages SED and FED had over LCD -- viewing angle, brightness ratio, and response time.

There's a good reason almost all top line smart phones use OLED -- and second- or lower line don't.   OLED works better than LCD, but LCD costs less to build.  OLED also doesn't need to be encased between layers of conductive-coated glass; it's behind the flexible display technology that created foldable phones (the next generation of those will work.  Really!) and roll-down TV screens.  A lot of top-end computer monitors are OLED as well.  Effectively, LCD beat SED with a VHS-over-Beta victory of being good enough that first was best, and now is getting its lunch eaten by OLED because that's so much better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.