Is there a penalty when using cheats?

There are no penalties for alt-f12. Don't worry about your conscience. KSP is a game and the goal is to have fun or learn, using your own definition of "fun".

18 hours ago, jaunco325 said:

or to compensate for bugs in general. XD

or to test special purpose landers without having to fly all the way to another planet, wrecking the lander due to a design oversight, and having to redesign it then wait for the next transfer window. NASA uses simulators. Alt-f12 is my KSP simulator.

Hace 2 horas, DeadJohn dijo:

o para probar módulos de aterrizaje especiales sin tener que volar a otro planeta, destruir el módulo de aterrizaje debido a una supervisión de diseño y tener que rediseñarlo y luego esperar a la próxima ventana de transferencia. La NASA usa simuladores. Alt-f12 es mi simulador KSP.

I do that, only I do a quick save before activating the alt + f12, and after doing the necessary tests I load that game.
Now I had to activate the tricks to rescue a mission and this doubt arose.

Edited by jaunco325

@DeadJohn

I do that all the time as well.  I just wish there was an extra option that allowed you to test Kerbin launches with 1% gravity and also zero atmosphere.  Then you could really test Gilly landers in "simulation".

But yeah, it's very satisfying building enormous things and testing them on the equivalent of very low gravity worlds.  It's much easier to build Millenium-Falcon-looking contraptions if you only have to land in 1 to 6% normal gravity. 

To test landers with no atmosphere, use SetOrbit to teleport them to the Mun or the CB destination of your choice.

Be careful of hacking gravity in your actual game, rather than in a separate sandbox. The trajectory of every single current craft and asteroid in the game will be modified if/while you hack gravity. It's a global thing, and it can really mess you up if you don't realize that.

12 hours ago, PTNLemay said:

...I just wish there was an extra option that allowed you to test Kerbin launches with 1% gravity and also zero atmosphere.  Then you could really test Gilly landers in "simulation"....

Alt-f12 lets you send things into orbit around Gilly.

If you want to test liftoff, without having to go through a landing first, look for the Hyperedit mod. That lets you cheat things directly to the surface of any planet or moon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.